Weird knocking from the rear - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan GT-R > Nissan GT-R Maintenance
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alias23 is www.alias23.com
GTROC Member

Question Weird knocking from the rear

I know there's lots of talk about the gearbox and diff being noisey, but ive developed a distinct knock over the past week when driving slowly on uneven surfaces coming from the rear of the car.

The noise sounds like a golf ball knocking from one side to the other of a terracotta pot (I know thats a bad analogy but the only thing that comes to mind).

I have recently had a KW Sleeve kit installed, post install there was no knocking and pretty much no noise. Its only over the last week the knocks have emerged..But didnt want to assume it was the sleeve kit.

Any ideas?
Old 4th June 2011, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Mmm good question, Ive had this knocking, I couldn't work out whether it was the shocks or the gearbox, turns out it was the exhaust! one call to Ben, problem solved.

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
My suspension used to be silent, but recently there has been a knocking noise from the back over low speed undulations, so not sure your sleeve kit is to blame...

Old 4th June 2011, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alias23 is www.alias23.com
GTROC Member

Spoke with Iain at Litchfield and he suggested it could either be linked to the exhaust (I have a GTC like GTRSTAR) or a driveshaft issue.

Had the car up on a ramp today and the exhaust seems fine, fixed, and stable.

GTRSTAR - Can you remember what you did to fix your issue?

The car is in need of going to an NHPC to investigate a noisy bell house the car seems to have...will ask them to investigate this i think.

The noise seems to be getting louder