Modding / working on your own car - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th June 2011, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
mattysupra is gutted he sold his R34 GTR S1
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 GTR OMORI FACTORY SPEC S1
Modding / working on your own car

Looking in the project section on here (R35 section) i can only see one car that has been stripped and built by the owner.

All the other cars have been done by SVM.

Why is this? Do non of you want to hand build your own cars?

Is it that none of the R35 crowd know how to do this? Would you not want to learn and try your own things?

What surprises me is that maybe 25% of the 32/33/34 cars are fully home built. The other 50 odd % are built by tuners but the owners still have a major input in some of the build like removing and refitting the engine or maybe out sourcing there own parts and getting things engineered etc.

Discuss ........
Old 12th June 2011, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
i dont think the 35 crowd are of the hands on approach.
(cheque book tuning)

*just my opinion*

Tib
Old 12th June 2011, 05:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
I do mods by my self but, writing a guide is too complicated.

Past: R33 GTR sgl turbo

Old 12th June 2011, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I don't think that all builds are all svm, they just seem to be the best at writing on the forum!

It's possible with more expensive cars owners either a) don't want risk the value of their cars by doing it wrong or b) need to spend more tine doing their day job in order to finance their expensive car!

I would think that the more expensive the car the less people do on it themselves. Consider things like washing it!

When you get really expensive you pay people to drive it for you or sometimes deliver it via team to the racetrack. I think this chequebook tuning is just the first wrung of that ladder.

I'd love to do the proper dirty tuning myself but I simply don't have the time, unless I want to neglect my family. I do like to research and source the parts myself. I think too many people, especially when GTR tuning, just blindly trust their tuner and go with what everyone else says they should. That just makes them a victim of marketing an takes away some of the little fun they could have themselves.

Old 12th June 2011, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
tomgtr is Is tired of the W word!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR R35 UMS premium + Ford Smax 2.5T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGT View Post
(cheque book tuning)

*just my opinion*

Tib
I think that the differences between 32/33/34 and 35 owners are clear and have been discussed here enough. Hence the seperate sections.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGT View Post
(cheque book tuning)

*just my opinion*

Tib
Guilty as charged but I'm only tickling mine to let me play on some fun track days.

As a kid, I never did more than simple maintenance on my cars: change oil, filters, coolant & brake fluid/pads + the odd play with scrappy replacement parts.

As I've got older and bought new cars, I've used garages to maintain them under service schedules. I don't have the skills or know-how.

I think you've gotta invest a lot of time and money to learn how to strip a car down and up again, and to do it well, probably means having learnt it in the trade. A workshop and the tools to do it cost too.

An R-35 GT-R is not a simple starting point to learn! It'd be foolish to bite off more than one can chew and could end up costing a whole lot of time and money to put right, what complete novices get wrong.

Thumbs up to those with the inclination to go down this route, but me? I'm too much of a pussy. I'd try simple aesthetic mods, but not tuning!

I like the driving best

Last edited by Aerodramatics; 12th June 2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 12th June 2011, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
No I do not wish to hand build my own car.
No I do not have a clue where mechanical things are concerned.
No I do not have the time or the inclination to learn.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
If I had a 60k car I wouldn't do a damn thing to it. A few 35 owner have done small mods but until they drop to sub 30k I don't think you'll see too many home builds

Likewise the chequebook tuning that took place at Abbey 10 years ago

Mook
Old 12th June 2011, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
james1 is thinking lipton tea? WTF
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

The gulf between 32/33/34 and 35 owners is huge....i dont get it, seems so much hostility.....lifes too short....enjoy what you got.

j.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Do 'Gtr' owners frequent the other skyline forum?
Was just wondering about this the other day?
I don't care how much a car cost I'd still want to play with it and make it my own, although prob not until the warranty period was over to be fair!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook ZEALOU5 turning cars into heroes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZEALOU5

Please Whatsapp me on 07970699470.
(^^^best way to get in touch tbh^^^).
Mobile: 07970699470

Email:
Old 12th June 2011, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Guys. This has been done to death. Do we really need another us and them thread?!?!
Old 12th June 2011, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

I think the OP has a fair point.

It's a question of time and money, for instance, if I had the time to build my own engine, I certainly wouldn't have the money to do it, unless I were very rich and/or retired, I mean, have you seen the cost of some aftermarket parts?!

The technology and mechanics does interest me which is one of the reasons Im on this forum. I work hard and leave the hands on stuff to the experts because thats what best suits my life style.

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
Old 12th June 2011, 01:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Jeez another one on the same subject....dare I say it started again by non 35 owners...you don't see the 35 guys poking sticks at the 32/33/34 guys so come on give it a rest....it's getting old now.

And just to answer I can mod my own car to a certain extent having stripped and re built engines in bikes and cars etc but now don't feel the need unless changing y pipes etc and don't want to risk doing something to a 60k cars engine that would cost 000's to fix.

Can we knock this on the head now?
Old 12th June 2011, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Site Admin.

I'm inclined to agree. It's just going over the same old ground. I'm sorry peeps, I don't lock much but Im not sure there's a point in this thread that hasn't been discussed 100 times before