2009 EDM GTR with 2011 TCM update - Page 8 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th September 2011, 02:52 PM   #141 (permalink)
thistle is aware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: GTR, D4 S8, MkV GTI, E46 325ti, E46 M3
Steve, regardless of launching and who installs the newer TCM map for you, I think you'd love the responsiveness combined with smoothness that the newer software brings.

I can't measure any difference in shifting speed and the nature of a dual clutch transmission is that the speed of shift is not so important as that torque is continuously transmitted during the shift so you lose no time. It is difficult to do a back to back in an identical downshift, but I think the downshifting on the new map is more responsive.

David, the way we're installing LC4, the snow mode works the same from the point of view of engine maps and AWD behaviour as it ever did, and nothing changes in engine mapping except that throttle mapping has now made it into the tuning software so you could have 9 stages of throttle mapping to choose between if you wish. Personally I've been driving around with 3 different settings for the last few months, and usually leave it stock. One of my maps has a very soft throttle and may be useful in snow, another is stock, another has a straight line rather than a curve and it more responsive in the first half of throttle movement, nice and crisp in the dry, but probably dangerous in the wet for the cocky. Our map switching is done with our own proprietary code to allow realtime and current/future flexibility rather than doing anything with the SAVE/SNOW selection which we leave alone, so installing the LC4 software won't change anything from before that I can detect/predict.

Rich, ehyman on NAGTROC has launched a lot in race conditions with LC2 and LC4 and developed the VDC off LC4 launch, he would be good to ask about the detailed differences.
Old 15th September 2011, 04:08 PM   #142 (permalink)
Booooh is driving a SVM 800R+ DMG GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Linney GTC View Post
LC4 lol

Mr. Dunlop amongst others will be very happy with this ...

Ben
Old 16th September 2011, 02:30 PM   #143 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
Installed the updated software today...car changes gear so much smoother than before...really impressed and does feel like the 2011 car I tried.

Not tried LC4 though...looking forward to that over weekend.

Old 16th September 2011, 08:21 PM   #144 (permalink)
johnhanton57 is going back to black
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
I think your throttle has been converted to a switch John as it only has two positions ... on an off
Hi Eddie,
Been away so sorry for late response but i was wondering what is this off position.......never found that switch, do you need a 006 upgrade to get this off switch
Old 17th September 2011, 10:24 PM   #145 (permalink)
hambroski is map switching!
GTROC Member

having driven a my11 - i think i need the update on my 09 baby! time for a cobb update!
Old 18th September 2011, 11:52 AM   #146 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambroski View Post
having driven a my11 - i think i need the update on my 09 baby! time for a cobb update!
hey Leo, shoot me a message if you fancy upgrading your AP
Old 18th September 2011, 01:27 PM   #147 (permalink)
alloy is SVM Stage 6!

LC4 vdc off is something else, everyone needs this in their life
Old 18th September 2011, 01:40 PM   #148 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy View Post
LC4 vdc off is something else, everyone needs this in their life
Cant wait to et my AP back....something tells me we should be looking at trying to sort out a group buy on Bridgestones with a centrally based Kwik-Fit in the not too distant future!
Old 19th September 2011, 04:51 PM   #149 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
NIS006 back in stock.
Old 19th September 2011, 05:33 PM   #150 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
I finally managed to install my LC4 Cobb update and have been using it over the weekend.

Having driven the Nissan 2011 press car, it is absolutely true that this update completely mimics the new OEM software.
Pulling away from rest is now always effortless whether cold or hot, Auto shifts decisively and when you'd expect and is particularly responsive in R mode now.
Best of all, Manual downchanges are now virtually instant and on demand. Pull the left paddle three times and you change down 3 gears in less than a second!
You can even select 1st whilst slowing down approaching a junction and it does it immediately.

And joy of joys for those of us with 2009 cars, the gearbox remains in the mode you selected when switching between Auto and Manual, i.e. if you've chosen R mode in one, it stays in R mode in the other.

Like others, my car does seem to "creep" more strongly now, and I believe we've temporarily lost the ability to instantly adjust TP and CC? Not a biggie and I'm sure it will be sorted soon.

My only reservation concerns the actual LC4 Launch Control. It revs straight to 4,500rpm and certainly with my slightly grippier and wider 315mm R888s, there is a hell of a jolt to the transmission when you lift off the brake, but not enough to actually wheelspin so you still get a sort of bog.
I would be happier revving to 4k and with a smoother engagement, but that might just be my tyre set up.

Overall though, a huge thumbs up to Cobb and thanks to Ben at GTC. Everyone with a Cobb and a 2009-2010 GT-R should get this update.
Old 19th September 2011, 05:37 PM   #151 (permalink)
johnhanton57 is going back to black

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
I finally managed to install my LC4 Cobb update and have been using it over the weekend.

Having driven the Nissan 2011 press car, it is absolutely true that this update completely mimics the new OEM software.
Pulling away from rest is now always effortless whether cold or hot, Auto shifts decisively and when you'd expect and is particularly responsive in R mode now.
Best of all, Manual downchanges are now virtually instant and on demand. Pull the left paddle three times and you change down 3 gears in less than a second!
You can even select 1st whilst slowing down approaching a junction and it does it immediately.

And joy of joys for those of us with 2009 cars, the gearbox remains in the mode you selected when switching between Auto and Manual, i.e. if you've chosen R mode in one, it stays in R mode in the other.

Like others, my car does seem to "creep" more strongly now, and I believe we've temporarily lost the ability to instantly adjust TP and CC? Not a biggie and I'm sure it will be sorted soon.

My only reservation concerns the actual LC4 Launch Control. It revs straight to 4,500rpm and certainly with my slightly grippier and wider 315mm R888s, there is a hell of a jolt to the transmission when you lift off the brake, but not enough to actually wheelspin so you still get a sort of bog.
I would be happier revving to 4k and with a smoother engagement, but that might just be my tyre set up.

Overall though, a huge thumbs up to Cobb and thanks to Ben at GTC. Everyone with a Cobb and a 2009-2010 GT-R should get this update.
Hi David,

Was lovin it as well until i tried launch at SP on Sunday. Had a total 8 second limp mode moment on the start line thought i'd finally broke the box.

all came ok in the end and just stopped using launch for the last three runs but it did mean 11 sec dead was best time. Last run for the beast as he is now officially DEAD or in the process of slaughter at SVM
Old 19th September 2011, 06:00 PM   #152 (permalink)
WingedBeast1968 is still here

Can the TCM be updated with the Nissan code at an HPC or Litchfield's?
Old 19th September 2011, 06:06 PM   #153 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedBeast1968 View Post
Can the TCM be updated with the Nissan code at an HPC or Litchfield's?
This isnt an official TCM update so no, HPCs will not be doing this. TBH they should have offered all of us older GTR owners this but why would they? They want us to buy the MY2011 car.

Litchfields are able to offer something similar using their ECUTEK system, and I would imagine that it must be similar to what us Cobb users have gotten.

I believe Litchfields offer this as a free update to their clients who already have a tune done with ecutek, in the same way that COBB has supported its user base.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 06:35 PM   #154 (permalink)
Karls is Thinking about moving to Wales!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
This isnt an official TCM update so no, HPCs will not be doing this. TBH they should have offered all of us older GTR owners this but why would they? They want us to buy the MY2011 car.

Litchfields are able to offer something similar using their ECUTEK system, and I would imagine that it must be similar to what us Cobb users have gotten.

I believe Litchfields offer this as a free update to their clients who already have a tune done with ecutek, in the same way that COBB has supported its user base.
It's not a free update as far as I'm aware
Old 19th September 2011, 06:36 PM   #155 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls View Post
It's not a free update as far as I'm aware
Ah, my bad.

If that is the case then even bigger thumbs up to COBB and Ben from me.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th September 2011, 07:31 PM   #156 (permalink)
vanos is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Does anyone with MY2010 and LC4 have this? I pull the left paddle three times and it goes down one gear.. And I can't select 1st gear if I'm not nearly stopped. The gear indicator flashes if I try..
Old 19th September 2011, 07:41 PM   #157 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos View Post
Does anyone with MY2010 and LC4 have this? I pull the left paddle three times and it goes down one gear.. And I can't select 1st gear if I'm not nearly stopped. The gear indicator flashes if I try..
My one does not go down to first either just flashes
Old 19th September 2011, 09:18 PM   #158 (permalink)
tomgtr is Is tired of the W word!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR R35 UMS premium + Ford Smax 2.5T
Quote:
Mine did the same on OEM tires. VDC kicked in and RPMs dropped to app 2000 before getting on with it. Didn't dare to do a launch with VDC off yet. Anyway, further attempts will take a while as one of my tire valves broke during topping off with ir (or rather removing the hose). Nissans comment was that this can happen due to corrosion caused by the metal caps. Car will be taken to the Amsterdam HPC tomorrow. Had to rent a car on top so those metal caps have become pretty ffing costly!!!
Old 20th September 2011, 07:39 AM   #159 (permalink)
goRt is busy making lists
GT-RDC Member

Location: North Hampshire - Andover / Basingstoke / Winchester
Cars owned: 3*DBA, Elise SC, Golf Mk6r, MY10, 2*Golf R32, e46 M3, STI9 scooby, lots of other scoobies, 205 GTI, MG Maestro, Metro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Ah, my bad.

If that is the case then even bigger thumbs up to COBB and Ben from me.
Correct - the upgrade via ECUtek isn't free, just like you can't get the upgrade on a AP005, you have to PAY to get to the AP006

Just providing balance
Old 20th September 2011, 07:55 AM   #160 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goRt View Post
Correct - the upgrade via ECUtek isn't free, just like you can't get the upgrade on a AP005, you have to PAY to get to the AP006

Just providing balance
But dont forget that those of us who have had the AP006 for some time for TCM adjustment already have gotten this new TCM software FOC.

If anything COBB gives 2 levels of access to the GTR.

ECU only with the AP005, or both TCM and ECU with the 006.

Punters can then decide which unit they prefer dependent upon their needs and how far they want to fiddle with their car.

Personally I'm impressed that COBB have undertaken significant investment of man hours in getting this software released and that for the time being it is a free update for those of us who went with the AP006.

And yes, for balance, both Ecutek or Cobb provide the same end result but by taking different routes.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller