So much for underseal/restoration project - Page 41 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree329Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th February 2019, 10:48 PM   #801 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgtr View Post
Do it once..... do it right....

Get it to Bob at Zealou5
If only life were that simple
tonigmr2, davew and moleman like this.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:56 PM   #802 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigmr2 View Post
Ok so a refresh is required. The por15 has not done a good job. Whether product or application is open to debate, but it looks like the underside needs more treatment. Only 4 years and 2000 miles later, garaged and not used in winter!
If the underside has not been initially wire brushed down to remove rust particles from all corroded areas Toni until you get to solid metal, The Rust Treatment applied will just flake off with the loose underneath debris during normal road use....rendering said rust protection absolutely useless thanks to not removing all the detritus.

In the four years since, this rust inhibitor should have been repeated and reapplied at least once more every six months of the cars use to remain 100% effective. Its not a one time done forget about it deal because it requires regular repeated maintenance!

Time to get an abrasive wheel for your grinder, Acid etch primers/paints & sealants, a good compressor and an applicator gun like this below....

And after a few weekends of hard work your vehicles underneath will be as good as new once more.

HTH!
Miguel - Newera likes this.
Old 21st February 2019, 06:10 AM   #803 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is stashing away Skyline GT-R's.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Proof perhaps that rust always comes back... Por 15 is a hard paint that can also conceal rust as it keeps on eating away.

I'd have had everything sprayed with aircraft grade anti-corrosive, not just paint after grinding most of the (accessible) rust off.
K66 SKY and IloveMiatas like this.

Old 21st February 2019, 08:33 AM   #804 (permalink)
YokoAE86 is enjoying life

Congratulations, on buying her back.
IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:43 AM   #805 (permalink)
JapFreak786 is .
GT-RDC Member

Look up steve at SR Autobodies. Bob is referring some jobs to Steve now, i’ll tag you in an album of his.
My car is going there in a few months for a strip down rebuild
samgtr likes this.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:53 AM   #806 (permalink)
YokoAE86 is enjoying life

Does Paul work at SR Autobodies? He use to drift a Falken S14.
Old 21st February 2019, 10:34 AM   #807 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
Administrator

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Yeah have photos, itís really odd but rust has appeared on the POR15. Itís not serious but not pretty. Basically autotorque have it now. They plan to strip all of the POR15 off and restore the underside of the car completely to as new. Then Iíll be getting it regularly waxoyled. But from what Iíve seen POR15 simply doesnít do the job.
Mookistar likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November

Last edited by tonigmr2; 21st February 2019 at 11:03 AM..
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 11:11 AM   #808 (permalink)
Administrator

Case in point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underneath52019.jpg (79.4 KB, 35 views)

Girls drive GTRs too

Old 21st February 2019, 05:39 PM   #809 (permalink)
Jags is unaware they can edit their status

That dont look good! Have AT told you how they're going to prep it and what products they're using?
Old 21st February 2019, 06:38 PM   #810 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigmr2 View Post
Case in point.
That (pictured in your last post above) is all too common for us all Toni no amtter how well we keep Our vehicles. Nissan use such low grade steels on all their brackets and components (in fact all Japanese car manufacturers do) that you have to go all the way back to the bare metal, treat any rust, Acid etch prime and paint everything before refitting, sealing and finally rust proofing the entire undercarriage once more.

Its an absolute ball ache of a job to do everything and extremely time consuming also but its the only thing that we all have to do if we want Our Skyline's to be on the road for another two decades plus!

And anyone can do this resto work too but the only ones who'll ever see all the fruits of Our restoration labour are the odd Mechanic and MOT Testers....
Old 21st February 2019, 09:03 PM   #811 (permalink)
Administrator

Depressingly even the stuff I had powder coated hasn’t held up that well. Looks like a lot will need doing again.
Mookistar likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Old 22nd February 2019, 09:17 AM   #812 (permalink)
tranq is building up

Cars owned: R34 GT-R v-spec + R33 GT-R v-spec
For doing the underfloor, engine bay and all underfloor components right its easy to spend more then 350+ hours of labour.

Dismantling. Blasting. Priming. painting / powdercoating (avoid where you can). Assembling. Using seam sealer and spraying rubber on the underfloor.

I didnt work with POR15 so i dont know how hard it is to remove, but some additional hours may come removing it compared to a car that didnt have this treatment.

The firm will have to spend 1000GBP or more materials used and services outside for blasting, plating etc..

More or less you will know everything from the quote given and hours listed.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:59 AM   #813 (permalink)
I.am.Sully is pleased to have survived Zealou5!

Do it right, do it once.....

As Bobby and the Z team are off limits now I would send the car to Denis in Croatia.

Speak to Mark @ MGT as he had his R33 LM 'done' - its superb!

Check out their web site and if Denis can send you a few links to previous projects - you will be amazed. Ask for the Triumph (TR2 I think) and a couple of old Porsches.....
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:24 AM   #814 (permalink)
moleman is veteren Bongard Club
Real men use a H-Pattern.

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/419553-a...storation.html
moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:49 AM   #815 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
I'd be very interested to see the current condition of the majority of "restored" Skylines currently in the UK.
Bennyboy1984 likes this.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:58 PM   #816 (permalink)
Administrator

I'd be interested too. I used the stuff all the names mentioned above recommended, but it hasn't worked frankly.
Mookistar likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Old 22nd February 2019, 08:03 PM   #817 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
I'd be very interested to see the current condition of the majority of "restored" Skylines currently in the UK.
Yep some of them are proper minging
Mookistar likes this.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:18 AM   #818 (permalink)
bluegrass is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Nismo S1 engined R33 GTR, Stagea RSfourS, Lexus LS400
I've been using waxoyl and now Dynax (which is supposed to be better) for fighting rust on all my cars for donkeys years now on Granadas, Senators and for the past 19 years on Jap cars that I have had and have, Mitsi Galant, Scoobies, and presently 24 year old Lexus LS400, Skyline 33GTR and Stagea.

The difference between the Lexus rust wise and the 2 Nissans is clear, they are greys and the Lexus isn't, although the 'official' imports from Japan are better coated underneath the Lexus is a constant fight - but it is 20 odd years old! I get the garage who services all our cars to respray waxoyl/Dynax on the underside and chassis members yearly. The Nissans because they haven't been subjected to the salty UK roads till they were imported, (the GTR stays in hibernation from Oct to April) are still very clean, they also get a yearly treatment and are presently still clean underneath.
I agree that brackets etc. seem to be susceptible to rust but it seems to me that the thin paint finish is also to blame as well as 'dirty' steel as when I have wire brushed these components down, applied rust killer, painted with Hammerite or similar and then applied Waxoyl it does seem to work better.

The underneath of a car is a very severe environment with driven dirt, salt taking it's toll on any paint or anti-corrosion finish.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:21 AM   #819 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thumbs up A Rust prevention Modification not a Restoration....

Quote:
Hmmmm....That's a real sticky can of worms and frighteningly grey area Mook!

True Restorations are when you take back a vehicle to its absolute original condition as made by the manufacturer when it was brand spanking new. This means original coatings (zinc plate etc), old porous factory sealers, paints and genuine OEM Nissan parts only. If Nissan didn't do it or fit it, The car cannot have it... As simple as that!

Where as what the majority of the Skyline Owners do (myself included here from what I've seen of project threads here on the Forum) is really a rust prevention modification for Our UK climate by using new steel (where and when required), modern paints sealers and other rust inhibitors along with stone chip products, sound deadening sprays and other under body coatings with new poly or other uprated bushings and extra chassis braces too!

I'm sorry to be so pedantic Mike but I honestly only mean to be didactic here by showing people the actual difference between a true vehicle restoration and most peoples rust beating project conclusions. I mean, Who in their right mind isn't going to paint and protect all the parts that Nissan didn't back in the 1990's?! And sadly there are a lot of these vulnerable areas when you start pealing back the plastic guards....

So, My type of acid etching efforts above are not a restoration. Its more of a modern under body refresh interpretation anyone can do that will hopefully allow me to keep rust at bay and enjoy driving my Skyline GT-R until they start banning Our terrible cars outright in the early 2040's for strange environmental reasons.

JM2PW!
V-SpecII likes this.

Last edited by K66 SKY; 24th February 2019 at 12:25 AM..
K66 SKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 10:03 AM   #820 (permalink)
Bennyboy1984 is grateful
New Users

Quote:
Is the owner of ĎThe Borgí still on here? That restoration mustíve been nearly ten years ago now, be interested to see his underside. If heís driven it that is.