Hi could you guys tell me whats going on? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline and Stagea "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th November 2011, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
cty47 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Hi could you guys tell me whats going on?

hope you can see the link and this sound just bothers me so much this happens when the car starts the first time of the day and when i turn my heater on or when i turn my beam up it sounds and this happens somethimes, sometimes it doesnt sounds at all.so just have a question is this the althernator belt lose sound is it expensive to change it? or is it the timing belt what are the signs when a timing belt gose lose also are GTR R32 alternator belt universal can buy off some store so i dont have to order online and is it cheap labor to change it not like the pain in the ass timing belt. any way really hope yall guys could give an idea whats going on thank you guys so much
Old 24th November 2011, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

This should be it

Last edited by TAZZMAXX; 24th November 2011 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Link fixed
cty47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
herman is i cant believe my 32 is gone im gutted.
GT-RDC Member

belt

hi,i hada belt noise recently,i knew it was the belt as wene i sprayed sum wd40 onthe belt it stopped for awhile.its to do with the tention off the belt usually,either to tight or loose mate.

Old 24th November 2011, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Marky_GTSt is a Fire Engine
Registered

Cars owned: Skyline GTSt
As above, get some WD40 and carefully spray a bit on each belt in turn, see if the noise stops... Though on that video it sounded a little metallic. My guess would be alternator belt (its either worn or loose) or possible the alternator itself (maybe a bearing)
Old 24th November 2011, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
andrew186 is GTR crazy
Registered

Cars owned: R34 GTR, BMW M4, BMW F10 528i, Audi Q7, BMW F30 330e
Use silicon lube as it won't attract dust.. Wd40 attracts dust and can compound the problem

Hope you get it sorted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R35 GTR built by R-Engineering/AMS
Audi R8 V10 DMS Tuned | Larini 610bhp SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R
(635bhp/640lbft) SOLD
andrew186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey thank you guys so much

So a simple wd40 will solve the prob? I mean I don't even need to tight It up or anything? The belt seems to me is tint and not look worn it's wired
Old 24th November 2011, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cty47 View Post
So a simple wd40 will solve the prob? I mean I don't even need to tight It up or anything? The belt seems to me is tint and not look worn it's wired
The WD isnt to solve it, just to diagnose it, if you spray a belt and the noise stops/changes then you know its only a belt thats worn or slack. if you cant get the noise to change or stop with the WD then its more serious and will need further investigation.

If the WD doesnt alter the sound then its time to remove belts one at a time and see when the noise goes, this will narrow it down even more.

Does your car have AC ? does switching AC on and off alter it ?

Does your power steering feel normal ? is it notchy or heavier when the noise is there ?
Old 24th November 2011, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
You can also use a little bit of talc, I put some in my hand and rubbed it on the belts (engine OFF!) to find out which belt it was. Turned out the PS belt on my FTO was squealing - Once you know which belt is doing it, adjust it to the correct tension as Herman said.

Is the aircon and alternator on the same belt? Would explain why it squeals when you have the heater on or headlights I guess.

Oops, Mark already said it, too slow! Lol

Last edited by Red Duke; 24th November 2011 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Too slow!
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_GTSt View Post
The WD isnt to solve it, just to diagnose it, if you spray a belt and the noise stops/changes then you know its only a belt thats worn or slack. if you cant get the noise to change or stop with the WD then its more serious and will need further investigation.

If the WD doesnt alter the sound then its time to remove belts one at a time and see when the noise goes, this will narrow it down even more.

Does your car have AC ? does switching AC on and off alter it ?

Does your power steering feel normal ? is it notchy or heavier when the noise is there ?
Thank you mate I'll get it today and try it on also, when I turn my heater on or when seems like I use more electricity such as beam light or studio the sound starts and some time when I put in first gear or down shift this most happens when first start of the day the power steering feel normal when it starts sound last question is is the alternator belt for R32 special?
Old 24th November 2011, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered

Not sure if the belt is special or not, A decent motorfactor should be able to match it up if they dont have one. Failing that im sure one of the traders on here will be happy to sort you one out.

I got all my belts from my regular general car parts supplier.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
That's a squirrel in your water pump pulley
Old 24th November 2011, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel-Power View Post
That's a squirrel in your water pump pulley
Do I have to change a water pump then?
Old 24th November 2011, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
Yes you can get a reconditioned one, but before that make sure you confirm it is the water pump pulley, normally the pulley that makes that kind of a noise has a pley in it, so check them out for any signes of pley.

If it's not the water pump, then it could be the altenator belt/or pulley ie the alternator itself.
Old 25th November 2011, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
As above, get some WD40 and carefully spray a bit on each belt in turn, see if the noise stops... Though on that video it sounded a little metallic. My guess would be alternator belt (its either worn or loose) or possible the alternator itself (maybe a bearing)
Hey mate I did took some wd40 and spray on belt looks like the inside one is the problem after I spray iy on noise gone even after I turn on all power but the problem is that later the day I start my car it starts again where do I go now from this point?
Old 25th November 2011, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered

If the belt is tight enough and its still noisy then its worth swapping the belt for a new one and cleaning the pulleys. while its off just spin the pulleys that are now free and check them for play/noise too, im guessing they will be fine though.

How much does it deflect if you push the belt up and down ?, should only be 6mm either way or so...
Old 25th November 2011, 07:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
If the belt is tight enough and its still noisy then its worth swapping the belt for a new one and cleaning the pulleys. while its off just spin the pulleys that are now free and check them for play/noise too, im guessing they will be fine though.

How much does it deflect if you push the belt up and down ?, should only be 6mm either way or so...
It seems prety tight but not sure how much it deflect prob more than 6mm also what's the size of the belt? Hard to change?
Old 25th November 2011, 07:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered

Its not too hard to swap the belt, Even at a garage it shouldn't cost much...

You may have to remove one or both of the other belts to get it off, I dont recall exactly.

I'm afraid I don't know the size, I just took mine off and matched them up at my local motor factors.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
herman is i cant believe my 32 is gone im gutted.
GT-RDC Member

belt

glad to see your getting there with the problem.i changed my power stering pump to a gtr33 one as my 32 one was leaking(common fault for 32 ones).i did have an power enterprise blue belt on mine but just went down to my local car shop and bought an goodyear one,about £7.i just asked for a 4pk 955 one.he did have some other sizes there to.i managed to change the belt myself,just jacked it up got underneath with a 12mm(i think) spanner undid the 2bolts and pulled the powersteering pump over till old beilt was very loose then took that one off and replaced it adjusting powersteering pump up tight agai and tightening bolts up.ones at the end of a long threaded bolt and otheres about half way along the same bolt.mine is a 33pump though but sure a 32 cant be that different.if its the othe belt im afraid i havent had to change that one,but if you can get under it if i was you id just have alook first to see if you can give it ago.good luck mate.
ow my noise has gone since changed my belt by the way.
Old 26th November 2011, 04:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Its not too hard to swap the belt, Even at a garage it shouldn't cost much...

You may have to remove one or both of the other belts to get it off, I dont recall exactly.

I'm afraid I don't know the size, I just took mine off and matched them up at my local motor factors.
I wanna thank y'all guys for helping me
Old 26th November 2011, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Clive S-P is RB26 deficient
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GT-R34 V-Spec & Stagea 260RS
Top tip with the WD40, I didn't know that.

Or

Burning through the world's resources!

... if your Latin is a bit rusty!
Clive S-P is offline   Reply With Quote