A tale of two Skylines. - Page 12 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th July 2019, 06:42 AM   #221 (permalink)
Jimbostir is Wondering: Will ANDY H ever get his 32 on the road?.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Datsun
YES! Looks awesome mate.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:29 AM   #222 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Some nice work there mate!
Old 26th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #223 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

It's been a while since I checked in, but just had a catch up on what you've been doing and it's looking really fresh, respect for the effort your putting in along with the choice of parts, loving it so far, keep the pics coming.

Kev.
Red Duke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th July 2019, 07:53 PM   #224 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Thanks gents, she's getting there slowly. I'm hoping to get everything buttoned up next week and then oil & coolant in to turn the car over a few times before a start up.. It feels like such a long time since I heard her roar!

How have you been Kev? Long time no updates! Are you still working on the R32? I finally got the old oil cooler out of the 33, looking at that and the new Nismo shroud (& instructions) the design between all three generations is markedly different, so not sure how much use it'll be to you?

Few parts came today, nothing exciting (apart from the Nismo rear view mirror cover!) so I'll add pics once I have everything else and done a bit on the car. I'm glad people are enjoying reading it as much as I am working on the car, the wife keeps asking what I'll do once it is finally finished... I'm not sure it'll ever be finished with all the things I want to do!
Old 1st August 2019, 08:40 PM   #225 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking

Oh man, what a couple of days it has been!!

Nismo carbon mirror cover arrived with a few new clips, bolts, etc. I haven't fitted it yet, maybe tonight. I also received new bonnet seals as mine have always been missing, damn the underside needs a good clean. No pics yet.

I started rebuilding the front end using new or plated bolts, couple I didn't have new or plated so I had to use the old ones, for now... I also installed my new headlight seals and Nissan dealer option horns. These are for the 370Z, but are a nice upgrade for the 33's aging horns!

Having a few spare hours after work meant I could tackle the intercooler, now this may not be to everyone's taste, but it's my car.
£20 on paint and a stencil vs £2000 on a genuine one. Not too bad eh? Slight run on the red in a couple of the 'bars' but that should clean off with a bit of gentle persuasion.

I was then able to get it fitted, reinstall all the old pipework and also fit the Nismo intercooler hard pipes. I've only had them about 3 years! Once that was all in, I fitted the new crash bar and trial fitted the front bumper, grill and modified Okuyama cooling plate. This, was when I found my new horns fouled the cooling plate and the front grill slightly.

Bugger.

I moved the left horn to the driver side, and using a longer bolt and nut, managed to fit them both into position. I need to extend the wiring to the "high" horn, the "low" one sounds a bit comical on its own to be honest, lol. It's a bit of a clown "MAAAAP!" noise.

I set to work installing the rest of the inlet pipe work, taking the first picture I realised my mistake, I'd put the main pipe in from below, where it should have been from above. DOH! After I fixed that, I completed the Nismo oil separator install, finalised the KTS hard pipe install and added all new blue vacuum lines where the old ones had gone hard. Yes, I put a small jubilee clip onto the return line (not pictured with it on) - I then finished off the Nismo air intake, fitted the airbox, AFM's and installed my S-Tune air filter. The old AFM's will be replaced with the HPI R35 adaptors and genuine sensors, again something I've had for a couple of years!

Finally, I got the scoop on.

I'll need to do the heatgun mod and close the rear section up slightly, as it currently fouls on the Nismo air intake. I'll do that later and add a little heat shielding too.

I've also fitted the front pipe, and discovered my Fujitsubo is about 50mm wide, where as the HPI turbo elbows are 70mm... Yeah. I've added a new HPI front pipe to my wishlist! It isn't too expensive either, certainly a lot less than Reimax, Blitz or HKS! It'll match perfectly to the turbo elbows too, it will currently be the biggest restriction in my exhaust system. New cat temp sensor installed into a better decat and the AEM AFR sensor is installed too. I just need to clip up the short run on wiring under the car. I used the cat temp bung to get the wiring into the car.

Today I also ordered a stainless steel and billet aluminium dress up bolt kit to replace some of the old shit that are on the wings, etc. They need to come off to install the Nagissa Auto fender braces anyway, so..

I gave her a good feeding of oil and coolant last night and reinstalled the front wheels. She's finally on all fours! Once the exhaust system was all back on, I slaved in the new Optima Yellow battery to hopefully turn the car over. A side effect of that is it seems to have boosted my old, dead battery (which is now actually charging via my C-Tek!) - So, the hour came. The first turn over in several months of dormancy.

Key in, everything fired into life on the dash, the car turned over straight away! I'd read to keep turning over until I got oil pressure, I don't have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed (Defi gauges yet to go in) so it sat firmly at ZERO. ****. Feeling a bit shit, I checked Google, same thing, pull the spark plugs and the CAS (already had it unplugged, obviously!), check this, take off that, etc. Then someone said to just start the car after cranking for 30 seconds, if the oil light is off, you're fine. Reluctantly, I did just that. She fired up first time, oil pressure building immediately to 8 bar! Everything was as it should be, no dramas at all. I did panic slightly when I saw slight traces of smoke from the turbo side, but that was because everything around there is new and I had spilt a little old oil removing the turbo side components. Panic over!

I'd already bled the coolant system of air, the heaters belting out 32*c heat, starting the car up I left the heaters off and got her up to temperature. I did have a panic on for a while when the bottom radiator hose was cold! Checking my Apexi PFC however showed the water temp at 80*c or so, so the thermostat hadn't actually opened. Shortly after that the bottom of the radiator became warm and so did the bottom radiator hose, all good!

Next on the list, remove the old light lenses and install the new Berhman lenses, refurb the light brackets, etc and get the front end reinstalled. I've got new spring clips and bolts to put the splitter back on again, and all new bolts, clips, etc.to install the bumper. The whole car needs a damn good clean too, having partly refurbed the engine bay, the rest of the car is letting the side down now! Oh, EBC yellowstuff pads front and back ordered to replace the aging DS2500, they've been on the car since before my ownership, so they're pretty old and crispy - much like my aging Toyo T1R tyres, something else that needs to go ASAP! I've got the mesh out of the bumper and grill to be refurbed too, I can then add the shiny new GTR badge.

And that, is where we are now! Car is back running, no leaks or anything (yet!) - I'll get my plenum in ASAP and get the new front pipe before having a remap and install my fuelling parts to make the most of the new turbos.

SO ****ING EXCITED!!

PS. Yes, I still want a genuine Nismo intercooler.
paul450, MS33, samgtr and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 1st August 2019 at 08:51 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:54 PM   #226 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

What a PITA... I've been sent the wrong Nismo carbon mirror cover, RSR20 (R32) not RSR40 (R33/34) No where near fitting my mirror! - I've emailed RHD Japan to get it sorted.
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:21 PM   #227 (permalink)
gabednconfused is mad the forum is dead
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

excellent work, I just took on a front end refinish like you just did, came out great man!
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:42 PM   #228 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Looks better and better. I’m looking forward to seeing this together. What are you going to do about mapping?
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:17 PM   #229 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks gents, the outside will need a bloody good clean to match the engine bay / front end at this rate! The garage floor really needs sealing, everything has concrete dust on it from moving around under the car, etc. I've read a cheap solution is to use watered down PVA glue which seeps into the concrete to seal it. I can then save for the flooring tiles I want to finish it properly.

Jim, I'll likely contact Torque Developments International in Thurrock, they map a lot of JDR's race cars (and customer cars) and have a great reputation for quality from what I've read. I'll drop them an email next week for a guide price to fit my Nismo 600cc injectors and FPR. I've got less than 1/4 tank of fuel so it'd be a great time for me to get the Nismo fuel pump in myself, I bought a lockring tool to help me get everything off, I might tackle that next week. It was originally mapped by Mark at Abbey, the map has never been changed in my ownership so it'd be great to get it done fresh!

Ordered some racking today for the garage, I was going to make it myself but for £60 for two 180x90x45cm units was a no brainer. They'll fit either side of my workbench and will give me a lot more room to work on the car too! Also ordered new wheels nuts from Rare Rims, my open ended nuts are rusty and look shit. Looking at alloy wheel refurb and Nankang NS2R or NS2 tyres too, when funds allow...
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:36 AM   #230 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

For wheel refurb I’ve used lepsons in Kent (gillingham way) they do an amazing job if you get stuck for someone.
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:01 PM   #231 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Nice one, I've seen a few people mention them! I have a company literally 5 minutes from my house, so I'll try them first, I was looking st going black (flat or gloss) or bronze, but everyone seems to have black wheels + black lip, I'll stick with white, I know I'd regret it if I changed colour away from the classic white on white.
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:47 PM   #232 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Yeah. White wheels all the way!
Old 5th September 2019, 08:35 PM   #233 (permalink)
Smartdj is Double peoples choice award winner

phew what a read! great attention to detail
Old 5th September 2019, 08:52 PM   #234 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thank you, she's certainly come on more in the last year or so than for most of the rest of the thread, lol. I've got a new update to add, only did the pictures earlier today though so hopefully update this tomorrow.