A tale of two Skylines. - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th November 2011, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
trackday addict is happy - Europes first ever 6 sec jap car - 6.63 @209 mph
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Project Zed & Project Zed 2, 996 GT2 & Westfield V8
Great to see you back in a skyline again & Cliff is a great guy & im sure he will be over the moon to see his car go to someone who will appreciate it

Take it easy & welcome back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Project GTST
The WORLDS quickest Skyline !
7.45s @ 187mph - she's getting quicker

A Massive Thankyou To ALL at Abbey Motorsport

Project Zed - Europes Fastest japanese car by some way at the moment :-)
The new dragZter Project Zed is coming along nicely ........
6.63 @ 208.9 mph
trackday addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 08:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
ANDY H is Flat out!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
This story brings a new meaning to dusting your self down and getting back on!!
great car there!!
keep safe!!!!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
Congrats Red Duke,

I'm so glad this gorgeous car stayed within us and went to another good home, most importantly a forum member..

What a happy ending

Old 29th November 2011, 08:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
RonniNielsen is Really wanting to drive his car again soon

im 100 % sure the hicas contributed in my accident, (not nearly as bad, and all good again ) did the tail playup on the car some times while accelerating straight?
Old 29th November 2011, 09:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Aye it did, especially if the road was uneven or had grooves from heavy lorries, wasn't all the time though, happened maybe 4-5 times? Probably 4-5 times too often!

Thanks guys, I'll certainly continue Cliff's great work, I'm sure he'll be on my case if I do any thing distasteful with the car!

Old 29th November 2011, 09:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Moschops is not in a Skyline any more.
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: NE51 Elgrand Rider
Wow, brings home just how easily these tin boxes crumple.

So glad to see the car is with someone who'll take great care of it!
Old 29th November 2011, 10:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
drewzer is going RB30 soon!
Banned

Glad to here you are ok and hope u make a full recovery in due time mate. Get a thread up with your mods if you can, she's a cracker hope she looks after you and vice versa!!
Old 29th November 2011, 10:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks Drewzer, and good point! Added the spec of the car from Cliff's thread to the OP, hadn't thought of that!

Spec:

Wheels and tyres:
18 x 10" Rota Grid drift alloys in white, ET15.
285/30/18 Toyo Proxies R888 tyres (approx 3.7 mm tread)

Brakes:
K-sport 8 pot front calipers
K-sport 356mm front disks
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Braided hose set
Brake stopper kit

Suspension:
Cusco coilovers
Cusco front and rear anti-roll bars
Whiteline front camber adjusters
Japspeed Hicas lock bar

Interior:
Nismo white dial kit (320km)
Nismo white centre gauge cluster
Greddy water temp gauge
Greddy boost gauge
GreddyA-pillar gauge holder
Recaro seats (type unknown)
Bride seat rails
Alpine CD stereo

Exterior:
Jun style carbon fibre bonnet
Nismo N1 front bumper vents
Nismo Clear side repeaters
Nismo Clear front indicators
Goki carbon end caps
Goki carbon spoiler blade
Carbonmods splitter
OMP splitter stay bars
Aerocatch bonnet pins
Headlight duct (no longer fitted)
HID headlight kit
Carbon GT wing badges

Engine, exhaust and power mods:
Apexi power FC - Running 1 bar boost (1.1 peak)
HKS EVC V boost controller
Kakimoto GT1.OZ cat-back exhaust
Fujitsubo down pipe
Abbey Motorsport decat pipe
Blitz twin induction kit
Mocul oil cooler (mounted behind passenger indicator duct)
ARC rad cap
Red cambelt, coilpack and cam covers
Adjustable exhaust cam pulley
Unknown exhaust cam

Transmission:
Exedy Twin plate Compe-D clutch
Exedy lightweight flywheel
Tomei short shifter
Old 29th November 2011, 11:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
REDWOOD is unaware they can edit their status

An inspirational story.
Good luck with the new car, it looks stunning.
Looking at the damage to your car at 45 mph I shudder to think what would be outcome of an impact at the speeds most of us do.
I think it's time to slow down!
Old 29th November 2011, 11:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Clive S-P is RB26 deficient
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GT-R34 V-Spec & Stagea 260RS
Quote:
I think it's time to slow down!
At least when you're going sideways!

Or

Burning through the world's resources!

... if your Latin is a bit rusty!
Clive S-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
drewzer is going RB30 soon!
Banned

[QUOTE=Red Duke;1544680]Thanks Drewzer, and good point! Added the spec of the car from Cliff's thread to the OP, hadn't thought of that!

lol sorry i meant with what you get round to doing as you said you had plans, and you've got new parts for her on the first day of ownership . . . . . good man keep it up!!! But yea the current spec list is always good to start a project thread with, good starting point too as allot of the ground work has been done already
Old 29th November 2011, 11:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Ok, last post before bed, lol.

I had a massive ARC intercooler, so another one of those would be great, also a pair of Garrett 2860-7 turbos (had those too with my rebuild... ) Uhm, I already have the brakes, clutch, Apexi PFC etc. so a lot of my 'list' has already been fulfilled, hence I wanted Cliff's car! I'll have to get thinking again really, obviously it'll all depend on the finances, but I hope to be able to do things in my own time this time around! I've got a wedding to put money away for as well as paying for the new GTR, so it could take a while!

I can't see my Games Workshop stuff selling for thousands on eBay, but it has done alright in the past, so maybe I can get a couple of bits at a time.

I'll get more pics up asap as my new bits turn up, rad panel needs a small repair due to a crack, but that shouldn't be hard and I'll get it sprayed up and looking like new!
Old 30th November 2011, 05:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ibo
Ibo is somewhere

Wow, glad you make it out of the car, just seeing the car, i would not have thought a driver would walk out alive.
Also had a big accident against a tree. It's not funny. Same speed as you but had the chance to hit it front on, so I came out unscratched as did my passanger. Would I have countersteered I would have hit it on the drivers door. And not everyone gets out alive.

In conclusion, second birthday to celebrate!

Nice new GTR too
Old 8th December 2011, 05:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I had a few bits turn up and have started fitted them:

GTROC pack, new Nismo key, some Meguiars polish, and what I though was the right hose for my car. Turns out it was the intake hose for the same one I already have. In red. Doh! Luckily, SpeedingPanther had a set of red intercooler hoses for sale, and I've bought those, ready to be fitted when they arrive. My fiancee is also buying me the matching breather hoses for Christmas, so pics to follow soon!

I had my dash bulbs turn up too, and have got those in:

Such a major improvement over the standard ones again, first and best mod I did to the previous GTR! I wanted to get the cooling panel fitted, but with the aero catches I need to drill a couple of holes to fit it over the catch pins, so that'll have to wait. I did get the lights polished up though (sadly no pics) which do look much improved, but still slightly yellow, so they'll get another going too once the cold weather has improved a bit!

I've got a fitted cover coming from the GTROC shop too. Cliff gave me the offcut of carbon sheet he had too, and I'd like to scrap the ashtray and make a proper place for the HKS AVC-R to go. Other than that, nothing major planned, bar another trip to the 'Ring in April / May time!

And an update on me, my pelvis is now solid, my femur has grown a new layer of bone the length of it, and my knee has grown new bone over the bolt heads! Mr surgeon doesn't understand how I can have such a range of movement condidering the amount of bone growth I've had. There are no signs of arthritis either, and the next milestone is in another 17 years time! Feeling pretty bloody good right now!

Last edited by Red Duke; 8th December 2011 at 05:38 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Well, it has been a pretty quiet, and cold passed couple of months, add some bad luck into that mix too!

The car is going well, aside from a puncture a couple of weeks ago, at 70mph, on the A120! That made two in a week, as I also had a puncture in my Mazda 6 a week before that! My space saver wheel wouldn't go on the Skyline, which I (actually, my dad) later found that it was the plastic locating ring stuck to the hub - the recovery guy and I didn't notice this as it was dark and very cold! Thankfully the wheel does actually fit, so that is one less expense before the 2012 Nurburgring trip!

I nabbed some red SFS intercooler hoses from SpeedingPanther a couple of month ago, they'd been up on the forum for some time, and I'd assumed they'd gone. As luck would have it, he'd still got them after being messed about. My fiancee also bought me the red breather hoses from SFS for Christmas. I thank thee!

I need to do the RH hose still, but I need a smaller jubilee clip first. I ordered what I assumed was the right sizes (after measuring the hoses!) but they came out far larger than I anticipated. The small rings actually fitted the larger ended hoses. Hmmm... I haven't fitted the left or lower IC hoses yet, didn't want to mess about too much before we go to Germany!

On the car:

The radiator panel has been repaired & sprayed up and looks great. Just need a couple of hours free to drill or cut the ends out to make space for the bonnet locating pins. (Excuse the shitty smokers table, lol.)

I also got myself an eBay bargain! A Momo Millennium Evo wheel, for £100! Came with a boss for a classic Mini too, so I can flog that to get some cash back. The thing is as new, goes for about £200, excluding boss! Just waiting on a KYB boss so I can get it fitted.

The Toyo R888's were getting low, and one was ruined by the puncture anyway (I had to get off the A120, as there are very few safe few places to stop!) these have now gone in favour of some 265/35/18 Toyo T1R's. I went for 265's as the 285's were horrible for tramlining and tracking every bump on the road! I didn't really enjoy B roads, as the car always wandered around. Only done a few miles on the 265's, but they seem a lot better already. I'll try them out after I finish work next week.

The only other minor thing planned is to board out the back of the car. The current plyboard 'floor' is pretty warped from having the AC, etc on it when Cliff had her stored. I should be able to map around the rear carpet to get a rough size / shape, which'll make bringing back food and beer a lot easier!

Oooh, and fitting the drivers side harness would be good! Although I have no idea how it goes in... Cliff? Lol

Last edited by Red Duke; 23rd March 2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Typo!
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
jaycabs is skint for a long time :-#(
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer

Cars owned: R32 GTR
one of my pics of the 33 in action at pod

Red Duke likes this.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Wow, well, what a day! Busy few days recently actually with parts turning up, and I've had some time, and breaks in the weather to finally get stuff done!

It all started with a new radio. Nothing fancy, just a Pioneer DEH-7300BT. I wanted to be able to use my iPod in the car - not that you can hear much over the Kakimoto! - and the old stereo didn't support it. It came out fairly easily, but I then found that the old loom had been cut up at some point, and the harness for the old radio also cut up, and it all hooked up with bullet connectors.

Not a problem, until I found the old harness wouldn't fit into the new radio, and even trimming it up to fit, the wires were different in a couple of places! Que me cutting up the new harness, and adding connectors to the whole lot!

Pic of one of the harnesses, I had to renew all of the old connectors on the old loom too! Argh!

It all works now though!

The little holder for my iPod isn't great though, actually (almost) fell off when I drove the car home, it was only cheap off of eBay, not sure how it'll hold up going around the 'Ring though!

I also fitted my new Momo Millennium Evo steering wheel and boss from JDMGarage, following great advice from Hudders! Cheers buddy! I had to modify it slightly, as the wheel had no horn button with it. I bought one from a Momo spares dealer, and also got an earthing ring for it, which was lucky, as the horn was the same size as the hole in the wheel! Doh!! Fitted perfectly into the earthing ring though, which now hides behind the pad on the wheel. I had to trim the back slightly (had a rubber circle to press the horn) as when it was all tightened up, the horn went off with the slightest touch. All sorted now though, just need to add a resistor to the boss kit, or just remove the bulb!

Old wheel off:

New wheel on and working lovely!

I also ordered some new (used) standard GTR seats to replace my Recaros. The driver side bolster had gone on one side, and my fiance wasn't too comfortable in them, add to that I'd like a retrim next year, eBay came to the rescue! New seats are in fantastic condition! Just a little grubby from storage, so I'll try and get them cleaned asap.

Also got my harness fitted, and new Sabelt pads to replace the worn, faded ones!

Next up was a set of new wheel nuts courtesy of the Moff Shop:

Yes, I know my wheels are dirty...

Pile of tools and crap following a long days grafting!

And that, as they say is that! Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally be able to get the radiator cooling panel on! Just needs a little trim to fit passed the bonnet pins.

Massive thanks again to Hudders for sorting out the hub fitting saga, it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting! Didn't realise you could flip the inner bracket over! Oops! Lol
Old 14th April 2012, 12:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Duke View Post
That's a lot of cigarettes !

Old 14th April 2012, 12:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I know! My dad has given up smoking now though, and I think my sister has too (or is trying at least) - I'll have a look when I'm over at their place tomorrow, but I reckon the ash tray still won't have been emptied since that was taken!

Glad I don't smoke tbh, I couldn't afford that on top of running and modding the GTR!
Old 15th April 2012, 01:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I eventually got the cooling panel fitted yesterday, but fitment was shocking at best! It was one of only a small batch Newera got in, but as quality was poor, they don't use these guys any more. I originally bought it ~18 months ago for my previous GTR, but never got to fit it before my accident destroyed my car, and almost killed me.

My dad had kindly repaired a couple of small cracks, and sprayed the panel up. Unfortunately the paint reacted with the fibreglass, so had to be rubbed down, and resprayed, again! It's all good now though, well, until we came to fit it.... As above, the fit was terrible. The whole panel just seemed a little 'small' the holes didn't line up brilliantly (too far down the panel) and the lip to go over the bar in front of the radiator had to be sanded off completely, as it was too narrow to fit on properly! We overcame all of this with some sanding, drilling, and some cutting with the dremmel.

All good! Until we came to shut the bonnet, and then found the panel covered up the bonnet arm clip. And the recess for the 'S' on the arm wasn't deep enough... So, we had to cut another hole out for that, so the thing would close! /sigh... As I said though, Newera aren't using that supplier any more, and it was only a small batch that they had ~18 months ago.

Pics:

Note: The hole for the bonnet arm was cut after I took the pics, before we realised it wouldn't fit properly! It'll do for now, but when funds allow I'll be looking at a carbon cooling panel instead!

I also fitted my cover from the GTROC shop for the first time, fit is fantastic! Very impressive quality cover, allows the car to breathe too.

Last edited by Red Duke; 15th April 2012 at 10:08 PM..