A tale of two Skylines. - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012, 01:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
Kango_V is aware that he can edit his status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR V Spec (RB30), Primera 2.0 Sport
Lovely car that you have there. And bloody hell that was one hell of an accident. Glad you are ok and am amazed you have recovered so well. My hat off to for getting another GTR, a real looker too.

I wrote off my Silvia s15 on the M4 a few months ago at 60mph!! Hit black ice at the bottom of Jct15 slip road and the car just slid sideways across all lines and into a tree. Luckily I went in backwards and got out with just a bump on the head. Airbags never went off.

I'm quite wary of getting into my GTR (rockabilly's old one) and my legs still shake when I get out of it.

Gonna have to get one of those car covers though. Looks well made and the perfect shape.

Good luck with your car. Your doing some nice things to it. I'll follow this one as you are an inspiration to us all.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Looking good mate, always preferred the original seats too as they are very comfy. Nice steering wheel . Keep up the good work
Old 15th April 2012, 02:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
clarky_gtt is get the car ready for the feature

Cars owned: R33 GTR V-spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kango_V View Post
Lovely car that you have there. And bloody hell that was one hell of an accident. Glad you are ok and am amazed you have recovered so well. My hat off to for getting another GTR, a real looker too.

I wrote off my Silvia s15 on the M4 a few months ago at 60mph!! Hit black ice at the bottom of Jct15 slip road and the car just slid sideways across all lines and into a tree. Luckily I went in backwards and got out with just a bump on the head. Airbags never went off.
your from swindon!?

friend of mine wrote off his s15 in the same circumstances at j16!

Old 15th April 2012, 02:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
nightcrawler is unaware they can edit their status

excellent you recovered and got another gtr. nice car as well. take it easy buddy. you are lucky having a second one
Old 17th April 2012, 08:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
hi red how we doing, always good to see another clean white 33
i will be watching your build closley, let me know how you get on moving your hks to the ash tray, i am looking to do the same with my greddy boost controller and turbo timer, got the peice of carbon here waiting just need to get my act together lol

dash lookd mint and your engine bay is very similap to mine

keep up the good work tib
Old 17th April 2012, 02:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Thanks chaps

I'm hoping to have a look at the dash when we get back from Germany. As the vinyl stuff is scratched up (from doing the radio, bulbs, etc...) I'm thinking of peeling it off, and spraying up the plastic in either satin or gloss black. I could also then lose the cigarette lighter and ash tray, but I'm not sure what to put where, might move the boost controller in there too if there is room (and without having to disconnect stuff!) I love the look of Bob's R32 surrond for his RaceLogic(?) thing, got a bit of carbon but it has a couple of marks from being in the boot. I could just spray that too I guess, haha.

I wouldn't say the car is too clean atm Tib! Needs a good wash & detail - not something I've much experience with tbh, my dad has bought some clay though, so I might have a go with that again and get some decent polish or wax.

I've made another boot liner / board as the other one was well warped from the aircon pump, etc. being on it for ages in storage, just waiting for some foam from Car Audio Direct to pad that before I take pics as there's not much to see atm.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Well, I got the new liner cut and the padding added to the back. It's isn't particularly neat, but it does the job! I'm thinking about boarding out the back properly, like my old GTR was, but I'm not 100% yet. I'd like a sub and amp, but there are many more things I'd like to do before then, and the sound isn't too bad now I've had a play with the stereo. Besides, nothing beats the sound of the Kakimoto on full boost!

I had mapped around the carpet, but that made the panel too wide, so I cut the 'wings' off of it, and test fitted it:

I got two sheets of sticky backed foam from Car Audio Direct, and stuck them on:

Refitted the new panel:

And put the carpet back on!

The new liner is about twice as thick as the old one, so shouldn't bend so easily. I've also lost the stupid squeak the old board used to make as it bounced up and down! My car is missing the plastic back panel though, while it makes getting to the battery easily, I'd like to get another one to cover all the gubbins up.

Also got a Mini DV from eBay, it is tiny!

Got a velcro mount on the front of the car, just in front of the intercooler, where it can't be seen hopefully by the *cough* Nurburgring staff. Bought one for my dad too for his RCZ, looking to get two laps in, and we'll film each other. Had a test of them the other day, my dad did 20 miles or so around some country lanes, and I just had a slow drive around the block (warming the car up) and they both recorded the sound & video nicely! Not as good as expensive kit, but for ~£20, it doesn't matter if they get damaged or fall off the car!
Old 21st April 2012, 04:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Arza is blessed

Cars owned: R33GTR Vspec & R34GTR Vspec
crazy!! thats looks like a horrible accident.. so glad you cam out as well..
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
GTR Cook is loving Stoptech's
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 GTR and Clio track car.
I use one of those mini DV camera's and think its great for the price.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cool Did you manage to get the date set, or remove it? Can't seem to get rid of the damn thing, or just set it correctly! It always reverts back to 2008. Hoping to try it out tomorrow if it isn't raining in Germany! Weather is looking a bit iffy though apparently, but fingers crossed...
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
GTR Cook is loving Stoptech's
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 GTR and Clio track car.
Sorry, I haven't got the date set on mine, i think that was more by luck than judgement though.

Let us know how it fairs in the wet, only used mine in the dry so far.
Old 18th July 2012, 06:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Well, not much to report really! Germany trip was great, did the best part of 1000 miles there and back, had some great fun on a back road from Zell (lots of hairpins, and twisty-turny bits!) even did a lap on the 'Ring, which was the first I'd done since we went on the bikes, back in 2009! At 26 euros a lap though, we won't be doing too many. Loads of very nice roads all around the Nurburgring area, and they're free!

Anyway. The passenger side seat belt broke and will no longer retract! I took it all apart, 'fixed' the retracting spring, put it all back together only to find something had come loose. I took it apart (slowly!) and kaaaaping! Spring every where! Grrr! So, I ordered a new one from Jap Performance Parts, and finally got it fitted today:

Old one off:

New one on, and back together!

Old spring, which had, well, sprung...

The next job is to sort out the front bumper - coming out of Netto near Adanal, there was a massive dip in the road, which you couldn't see. Until you hit it. FFS. So, the front has a couple of paint cracks, and I think it has dropped slightly. It seems to have moved slightly too, and the carbon splitter under the bumper is now being covered by the bumper (which is shouldn't.) The weather hasn't exactly been great lately, so I've not had chance to get down and have a proper look, but I think it just needs loosening off and a retightening of the bolts following an adjustment.

My car seems to be overboosting every now and then too, as it should be 1bar / 1.1 peak, but has hit 1.4 a couple of times on my boost gauge. I've got a feeling something it sticking, or stuck, as the car had been sat for a month or so following the Germany trip. She's not misfiring or anything though, and doesn't really feel any different, but I want to be sure nothing is amiss! I've been doing overtime at work recently, so I feel a trip to RK to look at that, and sort the front bumper may be in order...

Ooh, I also got an Optima Yellow battery, as the standard one was pretty shit and kept going flat after a week of non use. Just over 2 weeks without starting with the Optima, and started first time today without a hint of fuss! Very happy.

GTR Cook, I didn't get to use the camera in the rain, so I've no idea how it'll fare - sorry about that!
Old 18th July 2012, 06:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
GTROC Member

ooh sorry to hear about the bumper pal, put all that hard earned overtime money to good use

overboosting wise , what boost controller do you have?
have you looked for loose boost pipes or split boost pipes?

tib
Old 18th July 2012, 07:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Most of it will be going towards the wedding next year unfortunately! Wouldn't mind a nice pair or turbos, but they'll have to wait... Plus I've had a sit in the new GTR, so one of those is also on the wish list... In the mean time, I'll look after my GTR (obviously, haha) but my fiancee and I had a sit in a MY12, and oh my... We both love it. Have to keep my eye out for a nice 2-3 year old one after we get married, she did suggest going 50/50 on one, but I'm not convinced I'd want to share! I need to finish paying the Mazda 6 off too, but after that, who knows?

The bumper needed doing anyway, as Cliff had some canards at some point, but removed and sold them, but didn't get around to having the holes filled, so I can get those done at the same time. I'm hoping I've not broken anything inside the bumper, and it has just bent a bracket or something. I'll have a look for a "how to..." on removing the front, for when the weather warms up - if it ever does!

As for the hoses, that is a good point! I fitted a couple of the SFS hoses I bought from here, I'll check the clamps - wouldn't mind replacing those actually too as they bugger up too easily if you over tighten them. I had no problems doing the 1000 miles to Germany and back, so I just assumed it was the car acting up after she'd not been run for a while. I'll have a look tomorrow, on OT again Thursday & Friday night, so I'll get my toolbox out then and check they're all tight and there are no splits, etc!

Good thinking Batman!

Ah, I also need to get my carbon underskirts from Mikey fitted too, though I won't do them until I've sorted the front out, so they all line up nicely.

Edit:

Boost controller is an HKS EVC V.

Last edited by Red Duke; 18th July 2012 at 07:49 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 08:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Front bumper is dead easy, splitter off, pull the wheel arch liner out a bit, two bolts either side top Corner and about 8 inches in, 2 under the front (in the bumper mouth so to speak) the its off.

As all a haynes destruction manual would say, the refitting is the reversal of the removal process lol.

Tib
Old 19th July 2012, 02:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I'll have a look, thanks for that. I've just checked, found a couple of the clamps that needed a couple of turns to be 'tight' and I've adjusted one to be a little bit lower down the hose - the one on the right side, going from the IC to the TT pipe. No splits or anything, I'll have a measure up tonight or over the weekend and get some T bolt clamps ordered and replace the lot.

For now though, we'll see how she goes on the way in tonight!
Old 11th February 2015, 09:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Well, it has been almost 2 and a half years since I last posted on my build thread, that time has flown by! Quite scary really! Quite a lot has happened in that time: I've recovered probably as much as I'm going to, pretty much back to normal bar my foot and metal parts in my leg, haha. I also got married in March 2013, aaaaand it snowed. Yes. SNOWED! Thankfully it wasn't too bad and all of our guests bar two (poor health) made our big day. We both still say was made even better by the unusual snow in March (23rd so almost April!) as we got married in a 14th century Hotel, roaring fires, armour on the walls, perfect!

We're still waiting on planning permission before we can finally move to my mother in laws bungalow (we're extending it and moving there due to her health) and this has been dragging on for over a year now. Unfortunately, the local council don't do ANYTHING quickly, and every application has taken 8 weeks to the day to be rejected, or advised that we withdraw it for various reasons. (Mostly political it would seem, as the bungalow stands on the last piece of developable land in the middle of the village... Funny that...) Anyway, a car forum isn't the place to get into that!! Suffice to say, I still don't have my own garage yet, although we'll be building that (and more!) under permitted development when we get our current plans approved, which are being looked upon "favourably" this time, apparently. We'll see.

As for the car, I've done a few bits just yesterday actually, narrowly avoided complete disaster in November 2012, and had a small 'faux pas' with the front bumper (my own stupid fault, making it feel worse too!)

So, let's start with the bad!

It was a lovely November day, back in 2012, and the weather for the next couple of days over the weekend was meant to be unusually good. So, having not run the GTR for a few weeks due to the poor weather, I picked her up from my parents, did all my usual checks, and set about driving home. Unfortunately the main road was closed, meaning I had to take a detour around some B roads, not a problem, quite a nice road I used to ride my GSXR750 around quite a lot. I got two, maybe three miles up the road when I noticed a red warning light pop up! My oil warning light! a quick glance saw very little pressure on my gauge. ARGH!

I quickly stopped the car near a church, no street lights around, nothing. I checked all that I could see, no oil leaks, no damage, nothing, but my torch was flat and I was using the awesome power of my mobile phone. A quick call to my recovery guys revealed a time of "a couple of hours, we're pretty busy" - Right - last time I got told a "couple of hours" I waited over 7 hours, because their truck wasn't a low loader (which I specified I needed!) and had to wait for another truck from J24 of the M25, Potters Bar! I work near there so I knew I'd be in for a long wait. As I was going to be up at 5am the next morning for work, and it was already 10pm by this point, I filled the car up with all the oil I had spare, and limped the car the 2-3 miles home - literally, barely above tickover, not putting any pressure on the engine - thankfully temperatures didn't go above 85 degrees (normal temp is 80, ~90 on harder driving) and I didn't encounter a single car on the way back.

Getting a torch from my parents garage, I could see small oil spots on the side of the car, but still no clue as to where they came from. It was two days later after I finished work, we got the front bumper off to reveal this:

It appears the unions had been over tightened at some point, and had cracked. the 2nd pictured union had all but disintegrated on my oil cooler, and fell apart when I touched it! Hence my low oil pressure, it was basically 'misting' my oil all over the inside of my bumper and wheel arch liner! Obviously, I feared the worst. After having a big end bearing go in my previous car, having to have that fully rebuilt (and new turbos, my choice) I was expecting this to be another disaster in the making, which I simply could not afford 4 months before my wedding! My Dad and I did an oil change, new filter, etc. and ran a magnet through the oil to see if it picked up anything...

Nothing! It was CLEAN!

We did another oil change anyway, just to be sure, I'd rather spend £100 on oil than take a chance spending ££££ on a rebuild! Relief, was not the word! Lol Cutting a long story short though, Fate has a funny way of kicking you in the balls. In February 2013, weeks before my wedding, my Mazda 6 went wrong instead. The steering lock module failed, taking my keyless entry module with it, resulting in a repair bill just shy of £2000, bang went the money I'd saved for the wedding!

The GTR has been fine since, bar me catching the bumper on my way to a doctors appointment. I always drive into the space, and reverse out, but this time, typically in the GTR, there was only one annoying-to-get-into space, and I wanted to reverse in as I was running late to meet my chiropodist at my mother-in-laws house (I get my feet checked regularly due to diabetes.) I didn't see a low, dark green bike rack, hidden in an overgrown, dark green bush... You can guess the rest! One glancing blow later, a nice scrape on the bumper, I was furious with myself as once again, a change in routine resulted in something going wrong.

Anyway! I've also made a few minor changes, and have a few ideas on things I'll be doing next:

I bought myself a lovely BG steering boss extension, which brings the steering wheel 60mm closer. I found my Millennium Evo wheel to be too close to the wiper and indicator stalks, and being tall and having the seat so far back, it is a bit uncomfortable sitting with my arms virtually outstretched all the time.

The quality is really nice, feels fairly weighty too, and fitted easily onto my KYB hub boss! I also got two sets of longer bolts, as I wasn't too sure about the bolts holding my steering wheel on. As it was, I turned out to be right... All of them were barely hand tight, and literally came out after about 2 or 3 full turns!

Small screws!

The Momo bolts I got from Demon Tweeks weren't too bad a size, unfortunately one pack came with 3 of one size, and 3 of another. Doh!

I'll get some shorter ones soon, might have them at work actually, but at least I know the wheel is secure! I'll also get another 6 4mm socket cap screws to attach to the KYB boss too, as the BG boss only came with 6. Probably overkill, but I like to be safe, and I think it'll look better too.

The gap to the stalks is also miles better, I shouldn't catch them now while driving, as my Momo wheel is quite 'flat' compared to most peoples wheels.

As an added benefit of being closer to me, the wheel is also moved away from my thighs, another annoyance of being tall in a GTR! Going to try the car out properly next week I think, back to work in a couple of days and the weather is meant to turn wet again anyway.

I've also glued the Momo logo back on after that fell off! Might get a new pad and sticker at some point, can't really see it but some of the superglue leaked out of the edge slightly.

All done!

I bought some car mat clips from Amazon too for my GTR and Mazda 6. I really find my mats move around a lot, which is very annoying while driving! I don't have "proper" GTR mats, I believe they're a cheaper alternative, so I didn't mind cutting / drilling them to fit the clips. They have a robust pin on the base, which slides into your existing carpet:

Using a small hole saw I found in my Dad's garage, I cut the perfect size hole in the mat to fit the clip, which comes in two halves and snaps together. To make life easier (and safer!) I used an old block of wood to drill into after measuring where I wanted to fit the clips - mat placed in the car, to avoid all the bumps of the floor - and then removed to drill it.

And fitted!

The clips are actually black, it is just the flash from my camera making them appear shiny.

I'm going to remove the gear surround and dash at some point too, as I'd like to rub them all down and removed that vinyl-rubbery stuff on it, as it is scratched up from doing the radio, dash bulbs, etc. I also want to modify it to fit my HKS AVC-R, moving it off of the centre vent where it is held by a cable tie! (Been like that since I bought the car, haha.) The scratches don't look at bad as this 'in the flesh', the camera and flash really highlights it unfortunately! I'll lose the ashtray but keep the 12v cigarette lighter, as this is handy for the sat nav.

Still contemplating whether to buy a second dash and gear surround to work on, meaning I can still drive the car without bits hanging out. Has anyone got one for sale? Condition isn't too important on the outside, as long as all the clips are intact, etc. I'll be spraying it either matt or gloss black anyway, following modification, filling, sanding, etc.

Other jobs for today, nothing major really, driving back to my parents and giving the GTR a wash and polish (weather permitting) as my cover is on a lot due to the vented bonnet, it has dulled the paint a bit. Going to fit a new HID bulb as one has blown, and go up and see Ross at Supertec as they're not far from me, or my parents place. When we (finally) get planning permission and move house, it'll be less than 8 miles to them! Looking to get the car serviced and a few bits tidied up on the car, quite looking forward to it really!
samgtr and FRRACER like this.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:07 PM   #58 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Welcome back Red duke, good to see your back on here and still tinkering with the car, shame about the oil cooler but very luck no long term damage, keep the updates coming.
Old 11th February 2015, 03:12 PM   #59 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks Sam I have been lurking about, always a case of "must reply to that..." Etc! Life in general just seemed to get in the way, that, and my Xbox One... and Destiny...
samgtr likes this.
Old 24th May 2015, 04:21 PM   #60 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking

So, I've been away from the forum for a while, again! Had a great honeymoon in Norway, saw the solar eclipse, AND the Northern Lights! It was bloody cold at times, but going on a cruise was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting!

Now, the important stuff, my GTR! Well, I dropped her off with RossC at JDR a few weeks ago, and picked her up last Wednesday, following my hernia operation at the end of April. I had the whole underside stripped, prepped, properly treated and undersealed. Despite the surface rust, the underneath was actually in good condition considering the car had never been properly undersealed since arriving in the UK. The white stuff that was sprayed under it during Cliff's ownership seemed to keep things sort of protected. We're still not sure what it was, but it was certainly sprayed over EVERYTHING.

It looks a lot worse than what it is, everything was solid, just covered in white 'stuff' and surface rust.

Subframe off, underside getting cleaned and prepped!

One of the future jobs is to strip and powdercoat the rear subframe, fit new bushes, etc. It's a 'bit' dirty...

My front discs were in really poor condition due to lack of use, and I believe because my car is covered up over winter time, even though it was an expensive "breathable" cover - (I don't have a garage yet) - They'd got to the point of being dangerous, so the decision was made to replace them. Something I had planned to do anyway myself, but when Ross told me the condition of them, they just had to go!

As you can see, the rear had actually started to rust on the disc face! That was the cause of my 'judder; under breaking, grrr...

New rotors were ordered, along with a new fitting kit, and the calipers were cleaned and refitted with new fluid. I had already done the rear discs, which needed changing due to wear anyway, probably because the fronts weren't doing much!!

For the front, I bought some nice bits from Younes at Supertec:

Got them fitted after the underseal, etc was finished.

You may also have noticed these hiding in the background... A nice shiny new set of Meister R coilovers! Oh yes! My old Cusco's were passed their best and were leaking, so rather than rebuild them, I went for the very comfortable Meister option instead!

The car is all back together and drives supremely! Braking and handling feels like new, and I honestly cannot wait to get the car back to Ross and everyone at JDR for my future plans. Yes, the back of the car does let down the nice, clean, new underside now, but that will be done next. Unfortunately needing new front discs and getting the new dampers put a dampener on my funds for now - but hey, it was stuff that needed doing, and she'll now be solid for a long time to come!

Planned things include: Strip, powdercoat and rebuild the rear subframe, diff rebuild, possibly get the driveshafts powdercoated, refurb the front lights, cracks on front bumper... List is growing as much as I have been doing / had done recently! Oh, I've also bought a standard shifter, new boot, and solid shifter bush as my 4th is getting notchy. My own fault for misclutching while shifting up, doh! Still, good excuse for an OS Giken rebuild further down the line, I may well sell my Tomei shortshifter too if the standard shifter helps my gearbox.

Oh, also bought some better dash LED's from Oz, and gear gaiters, and the JIC strut bar from JDM Autolink, but not fitted those yet.

Last edited by Red Duke; 4th September 2017 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Teh spelz0rs!
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote