A tale of two Skylines. - Page 4 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th May 2015, 05:43 PM   #61 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Great update and nothing like the assurance that the underside is solid and ready for more power.
Red Duke likes this.
Old 24th May 2015, 06:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
RossC is R32GTR owner

Look forward to seeing you soon Ben for the next stage of upgrades. Must say i am very impressed with the MeisterR coilovers. Third set we hsve fitted now on 3 different vehicles all have performed great.
Red Duke likes this.
Old 24th May 2015, 07:22 PM   #63 (permalink)
Dan ep3 turbo is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossC View Post
Look forward to seeing you soon Ben for the next stage of upgrades. Must say i am very impressed with the MeisterR coilovers. Third set we hsve fitted now on 3 different vehicles all have performed great.

Have you tried any of the gt1s Ross?

Dan

Old 24th May 2015, 09:04 PM   #64 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Great stuff Ben car is looking good and healthy underneath when I saw it a few weeks ago! Glad your happy with how the car is performing now on the handling side. I bet you can't wait to finalise the car and get the rear end done too.
Red Duke likes this.
Old 24th May 2015, 10:10 PM   #65 (permalink)
RossC is R32GTR owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ep3 turbo View Post
Have you tried any of the gt1s Ross?

Dan
I haven't yet Dan but to be honest for fast road/occasional track use im not sure many people would see the benefit over the Zeta model especially given the difference in cost.

For a pure track car i would choose quantum coilovers as they are what i have worked with alot.
Old 6th February 2016, 05:21 PM   #66 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
So! After another age of not much progress, I've finally had time to do some of the jobs I've wanted to get done for a while. Time seem to disappear rapidly, even though I work 4 on / 4 off. My off days seem to revolve around my Xbox, resting after nights, or seeing family as I don't get many weekends off.

I started off ordering a few bits and bobs, and rummaging in the shed for things I was pretty sure I had:

Namely an undamaged radiator surround I got from CliffJ when I bought the car, as the original one has a crack / bits missing (although I haven't actually noticed it myself?) - I also ordered a Japspeed Black Edition radiator to replace my aging standard one. Not fitted it yet, as the weather has been too wet / cold / windy or all three!

I've also ordered my rear Nismo arms, and once I have them I'll look at buying new suspension bushes, etc. as and when I have the spare cash, before getting the lot fitted and my underside parts refurbed. It does let the side down a bit now after having it all treated and undersealed last May! (Jesus, that has gone quick!)

I've ordered the S-Tune GTR end caps to replace my Goki carbon ones, a Nismo S-Tune black aluminium 5MT shift knob and a few sundries like the weird self tapping screws in the dash (got a couple missing.) Also on it's way are new windscreen washers for my new bonnet, but more on that later...

I got all the dash out as I had new gaiters to fit. You may remember my rubber 'stuff' being scratched up, so, I finally bought the stuff to repair it!

I rubbed it all down with a not-too-rough wet & dry sand paper, before using a finer grade to smooth it off a bit and make sure all the rubber had been removed. I then used a grey primer to coat both surrounds.

Unfortunately it was a bit chilly at work, and like an idiot, I'd left the parts and paint in the car all day, so it didn't spray too well and came out a little thick. It wasn't a problem though, as the paint 'flattens' itself out for the most part, so a little rub down once dry removed the couple of small runs and left a great base for the top coat!

Once it had dried and I got rid of any annoying marks (dust!) and a couple of tiny runs, I gave it all a further top coat and left it to dry overnight before putting the bits back together.

I used a satin black rather than gloss, as I feel it looks more OEM, which matches the car better. IMO.

No, I've not sprayed the ash tray, I do have the stuff to blank it off in the future so I can fit my electronics into it, alternatively I might put another gauge there. As a temporary 'placeholder' I'll probably spray the ashtray while I'm on nights so it is all the same colour. I don't smoke so I'm really not bothered! The gaiters were from eBay, and I have to say are pretty good given how cheap they were!

I banged in some new interior bulbs from Neogauge LED's on eBay, the dash is pretty much the same, but I also did the AC and interior roof lights.

The passenger light isn't as blue as the picture makes out, I've not tested them in the dark yet, but I am out tonight, so I'll see how they go then and report back.

Right, onto my bonnet...

So, I'd been watching a QM1 white bonnet on eBay for a while, since before Christmas, and I finally thought "bugger it" and bought it, thinking I'll sell my carbon vented bonnet to fund it once I've got it fitted. Even the wife thought it was a good idea! I waited nearly a week for it to arrive, and when it did, I was at work so I couldn't get over to my parents to check it over. I knew there was a minor scratch (it'll polish out) and two small stone chips - not an issue. Happy, I was about to walk away with my Dad when I saw this:

Despite the bonnet being extremely well wrapped (and very light!) those complete ****ing retards at Parcelfarce have manage to bend the passenger side front by dropping it on its edge! There was no damage to the packaging, so it has obviously been rolled over on an edge, or dropped out of their van during delivery. To say I'm furious is an understatement. I've emailed the seller on eBay, just waiting to hear back what we're going to do about it. As he sent it to me, and PF damaged it, does he claim the compensation, or do I?

If I don't get money off or the bonnet repaired, I'll just send it back and get a refund. I want to get my front bumper sorted out (yes, still not had it done...) so I'm happy to get it fixed, but I'll be damned if I'm the one paying for it!

So, that is my car so far. Got a few bits and pieces coming (nothing too major) so I'll add pics as and when I receive and fit them.
Phil023 and kip13 like this.
Old 6th February 2016, 05:27 PM   #67 (permalink)
Kadir is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R34 GTR
Fantastic work on the interior plastics. Not sure what to say about your new bonnet; hopefully though a resolution can be had.
Old 6th February 2016, 07:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Good update
Nice to see your still at it. Thats a great job on the dash panels, they look as factory finish.
Old 6th February 2016, 09:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks guys! Aye, I'm really pleased how they came out. There are a couple of areas that I'd like to redo, but they aren't bad enough to warrant taking the whole lot out again yet, I'll wait and see what I do with the ash tray area later on.

Definitely still at it, Sam. I've just been getting my debts paid off first, as we should be moving within the next couple of months hopefully! That'll free up more money sooner for the bigger mods, which to me is a win win.

I had thought I didn't want a 400R kit after seeing a silver GTR with it in, and it not looking quite, 'right'. But, then I went back to a pic of 323ian's old 400R replica, and it clicked for me exactly what I'm doing with my car, and why. It just looks so bloody good!

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/151036-on...-r33-gtrs.html

Whoops!

Just remembered I also have red Autobahn88 hoses for my radiator, a red joiner for said hoses to fit my water temperature gauge sender as I'm currently running a blue Greddy joiner. Need to get pics as I forgot those too!

Last edited by Red Duke; 6th February 2016 at 10:10 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 10:25 PM   #70 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Good to see that your getting on with the car and finishing it off. The dash has come out really good! Well done.

Shame about the bonnet but never get a bonnet sent by post or courier unless it's bolted to a wooden frame. You cannot trust these retards no matter what kind of fragile or handle with care labels on the box. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.
Old 6th February 2016, 10:40 PM   #71 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks mate It had wood on the bottom end, had they have kept it the right way up it would have been fine! I've just been picking bits up as and when I've had the extra money, got a bonus for working new year and Christmas money which got me the rear arms, probably need a few other Nismo / Nissan bits to go with them to finish the underside off.

I might see Ross next week about the paint job on my car, getting the cracks done in the bumper, etc. If I can reach an agreement with the eBay seller / Parcelfarce quickly, I may well get the bonnet repaired at the same time as my bumper, and the little dent in the wing! I don't want to send it back as other than the dent damage, it is in good nick and even has the heat shielding stuff underneath. I've got the new washers coming too, and a red hose kit I've had to go on for a while... I just don't see why I should have to pay for the damage to be repaired.

Looking forward to getting it all done though, future jobs are getting the diff / driveshaft rebuild and refurb on the rear subframe and underside parts. I love how Mad Maxd car looks underneath and quite fancy doing the same!

How are things with you and your car?

Those new interior bulbs btw, dear god, need sunglasses much!?

Last edited by Red Duke; 6th February 2016 at 10:44 PM..
Old 6th February 2016, 11:56 PM   #72 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I swapped out the Tomei short shifter for a standard shifter and fitted a solid bush from Austech on eBay. The throw will take some getting used to, but my notchy 4th gear has been dramatically improved! I can't say if the solid bush is making any difference or not, but it certainly feels nice, and not having 4th playing up at higher revs is great. Around town / traffic driving the gears go in lovely.

It'll certainly put my mind at ease until I can afford a rebuild. I did consider a used box, but, you never know what you're buying it seems these days!
Old 7th February 2016, 01:18 PM   #73 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Dash looks great, defo a good choice
Red Duke likes this.
Old 16th February 2017, 03:23 AM   #74 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Christ, another year, and finally I've remembered to update my thread! Spent a lot of last year preparing to move house, getting the legals sorted, built a summer house, did a load of overtime...

Anyway, here we go!

I took my car back to JDR after fitting the new standard bonnet. There, they had their paint guy fix the dent, and tidy up my cracked bumper and a few bits and pieces I wasn't happy with. Very pleased with the results, and the car looks a lot fresher now without the aging carbon splitter and stay bars. I loved the look, but it didn't fare well at the Nurburgring or over speed bumps!

My car finally looked presentable again! Not a chip or crack on her.

While I was sorting the niggly jobs out, I got myself a cheap set of Alpine speakers. You can't really hear much anyway over the Kakimoto exhaust at full chat, so I wasn't bothered about buying anything fancy. The old ones, especially the rears, were starting to crackle and pop at the slightest hint of bass; not that they gave off much anyway!

I got the Alpine SXE-1725S, 6.5" 'basic' speakers. The good thing about these is they're virtually the same as the OEM type. Shallow fitment, and dropped into the OEM holders with minor trimming!

No pictures of the rear install, as I did that late one night before going in for more overtime. Sound isn't too bad, it'll never win any trophies, but it'll do for now for the odd blast of Babymetal or listening to Radio 2.

I also fitted a few Nismo niceties! Nismo floor mats and S-Tune gear knob!

Most importantly... Full rear rebuild at JDR! Finally! New bearings, bushes, plated nuts & bolts and my Nismo rear arms fitted!

The car feels brand new, everything is so tight now. No rattles, squeaks, knocks, not a thing. Very, very happy! Massive thanks to Ross, John and all the team at JDR, you know I'll be back...

And of course the obligatory mascot I rescued for my car. Would have ended up as a dog chew from the charity shop! (Cheers mum! )

Still got a few bits to do, I have my Japspeed radiator to fit still, a few marks on the strut tops where my old OEM brace rubbed the paint off to sort out, and I want to get my wheels refurbed too. Got an old set of 17" Lenso Zeons I forgot I had at my parents place, hopefully they'll fit over the brakes as a temporary solution to getting the Rota's tidied up.

As for future plans:

I'm saving up at the moment for a few things, hopefully get some of them done or purchased0 later this year. I promised the wife I wouldn't buy anything or do any more to the car until our old house is sold! (Apparently! I don't remember... ) We're extending her mum's place soon, so it means not much in the way of bills for now, which is handy.
  • Gearbox refresh
  • Nismo 600cc injectors
  • Nismo fuel pump
  • Nismo FPR
  • HPI R35 AFM adaptors + R35 AFM's
  • R34 GTR pedals, foot rest, etc.
  • Nismo reinforced mounts
  • More S-Tune bits (wheel nuts, valve caps, etc.)

Eventually I want to end up with a 400R or S-Tune replica, full Nismo body kit, Nismo R1 turbos, more of the Nismo chassis strengthening bars & suspension parts, etc. Most of that is a while away yet though, I want to get the car restored and get the old OEM stuff upgraded or replaced first, then add the new turbos before finishing off with the exterior and wheels.

And with that, I'm off to bed again! 3.20am... Ugh....
Alex C, samgtr, BigKriss and 2 others like this.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:09 AM   #75 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Arrow

Forgot to add a pic of the subframe last night:

Can't tell you how good the car feels now! Honestly one of the best mods I have had done to the car. I think they were Super Pro bushes? I can honestly recommend getting this done!
samgtr and Manzgtr like this.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:42 AM   #76 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Excellent update!

Useful info on the speakers too, will probably replace mine soon.

Would highly recommend some silent coat if your in there again anytime, amazing stuff for damping out vibration and improving sound
Old 16th February 2017, 12:33 PM   #77 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thank you.

Aye, when I finally get a garage (how long have I been saying that? ) I want to strip the interior out and soundproof everything, run new cables for some better speakers, fit an amp & sub, etc. As a temporary, cheap solution the Alpines were perfect! Cost me about £50 all in iirc from Car Audio Direct. They don't give off a ton of bass, but should be ok if you already have a sub. I'm thinking about getting one of those shallow 'under seat' jobbies as another temp solution. They're not that expensive, seen a few on Amazon with very good reviews!

Another job I've done is fix the boot leak. I kept getting a damp carpet and traced it back to the seals / joins where the water runs off either side of the boot opening. I've used some grey seam sealer all down the joints, which has stopped all the leaks. I also gave it all a good blast with the hose to clear out a load of old grime and mossy looking green stuff! Water runs out the car lovely now. All I need to do is give it a rub down and prime & paint, got 3 weeks off end of March / April - I intend to get a few jobs done then. Which reminds me, I need a new pair of boot dampers / lifters, as the boot lid has a tendency to try and kill you if you don't lift it fully up!

I want to tidy the engine bay and do the same. Now I've fitted my JIC strut brace, you can see where the old one had rubbed and caused some surface rust. I've got the Kurust, primer and white, so that's another job for warmer weather! I'll make some rubber cushioning to prevent it happening again too...
samgtr and Manzgtr like this.
Old 18th February 2017, 06:36 PM   #78 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Good to see your still at it with the r33, a nice car i remember this one before I bought mine. Looks even better now.

Great work on the subframe
Red Duke likes this.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks, Sam. I have to say it was JDR's had work on the subframe though! I just about get time to drive the car, never mind work on it to that extent, lol.
I've just had my Kenwood KSC-SW11 turn up too. Very solid bit of kit! I'm looking forward to getting it into the GTR. I love my exhaust, but sometimes you just want to relax a little with some music.

I'm always trying to find time to do bits to my car, not usually anything worth posting about though, and there are times I don't visit the forum for months at a time due to work, xbox, family... Usual distractions really. I won't be buying anything big for a while, we've had an offer on our house now, so that'll take a while to go through, and our new mortgage could start before the old one is settled. I'm currently putting money away for GTR parts, but may need some of that if we do have to pay for both, plus fees, etc.

Shouldn't be too long though, the next job is all new Nismo parts: FPR, injectors, R35 AFM's, etc. to get ready for the turbo upgrade. Depending on what we spend on our extensions and garage, hopefully I'll be able to skim a bit off for a few more nice bits too. I've promised the wife no more parts for 2-3 months until our old place is sold, contracts exchanged and all that; but that also gives me more time to save for more parts in one go! Gotta look at these things with "Man Logic" !!

How's your car getting on now? I'll have to go back and check on a few project builds while I have time!
Old 6th March 2017, 12:02 PM   #80 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

As Nissan and other companies are putting their prices up in April, I got the green light to buy a few bits, plus a few bits I didn't mention... Lol

Pics to come, some of my Nismo parts won't be here until later in March or April time. Depends when Nissan pull their fingers out on their end!
  • OEM QM1 white spoiler blade
  • Nismo gearbox mount
  • Nismo 600cc injectors
  • Nismo adjustable FPR
  • Nismo high capacity fuel pump
  • Nismo S-Tune valve cap set
  • Nismo S-Tune oil filler cap
  • Nissan R34 OEM clutch, brake & accelerator pedal covers + bushings
  • Nissan R34 OEM foot rest cover
  • KTS cool power suction kit
  • Apexi power intake kit

I'll get photos up when it all arrives. Hoping to get the spoiler fitted on Friday, weather permitting! Thanks to BNR34Zed for that! The next couple of weeks should see the Japspeed black edition radiator fitted. I was going to fit more red hoses, but I'm thinking of buying all blue to match the KTS and Nismo hoses instead. I can sell my red hoses to fund them. Thoughts?

Next order will likely be the Nismo hard pipe sets for the air intake and intercooler, possibly the Nismo plenum, depends on how much I have left of my overtime money and savings! Once that is all collected, Nismo R1 turbos are on the 'want' list, Along with Tomei cams, adjustable cam pulleys, greddy blue engine pulleys, etc. I'll probably leave the gearbox refresh for now until I can also afford the Nismo flywheel and super copper mix clutch, do it all while the gearbox is off!
samgtr likes this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 6th March 2017 at 12:08 PM..