A tale of two Skylines. - Page 6 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:27 PM   #101 (permalink)
XashskylineX is rebuilding his dream BNR34
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Some serious effort and work is going in this 33, the end result will be amazing
Red Duke and Huskyman like this.
Old 4th September 2017, 05:20 PM   #102 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Seems like I've been keeping our local delivery men in jobs these past few days! Had more parts arrive and some of my 'project' pieces too. Back at work tonight for more money grabbing. I swear, the boys at work think I've changed teams!

OEM Coolant overflow tank and bonnet stay clip.

Used R33 GTR arm rest / cubby box from Dave & Chris at The GTR Shop. My old one seems to be deeper, were S1, 2 & 3 different? Or is it my imagination?

New LED fog light switch. I'm going to modify a coin slot and fit in there, rather than in the gear surround. Might even fit a 2nd switch for switchable maps if I go Link G4 in the future?

Electrical bits for fresh fog switch wiring!

Japspeed S15 rear boot brace & M10 x 50mm 1.25 fine thread bolts, 19mm M10 spacers and fresh sponge tape for the OEM air scoop.

OEM Wiper refurb parts, air box bolts, wiper arm caps, new plastic fasteners.

Autobahn88 silicone engine hoses. I don't like the GPlus hoses colour (almost a dayglow blue!) and I know the Autobahn88 hoses are good, as I have their red hoses on my car currently! They'll be coming off soon though, and I'll get them up for sale. Changing my engine bay theme!

Had a test run taking apart the old rear wiper arm to see how easy it comes apart for refurb. Pretty easy, as it turns out! Thanks to Kevr32 for his build thread inspiring me to have a go!

Fresh grease to put it all back together when I refurb the good motor. Still not sure if I'll clean and spray the housings or get them dipped? Probably have a go at the stripped one first (thread is fubar on it anyway).

I can always use some when I get my inevitable bill for the gearbox and clutch work too... Lol

And finally, my new toy!

I bought it to modify the centre console, and also to clean the inside of the KTS pipe kit as it is a little rough. Nothing too major, but I've read giving them a sand / polish to remove the rough casting helps the air flow better! I'm looking to get both my rear wiper arms sand blasted at work tonight too, just waiting on some Canbrush C29 metal primer, and then they'll be done in satin black too. Pics to follow...

Few more parts to arrive over the next few weeks, and hopefully get some progress pics when I pop over to the garage tomorrow. I'm very much looking forward to getting the car back and getting on with fitting some of this lot! Probably be away for a while yet though!
Old 4th September 2017, 06:10 PM   #103 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
Always nice when shiny new parts arrive
Red Duke likes this.

Old 4th September 2017, 06:26 PM   #104 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Great update, your car will be stunning!

Would you have the bonnet stay retainer clip part number please?
Need one my self
Red Duke likes this.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:59 PM   #105 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgtr View Post
Great update, your car will be stunning!

Would you have the bonnet stay retainer clip part number please?
Need one my self
Thanks for the positive comments guys, I know not a lot is happening ATM, just trying to get the parts together and do things in one go.

Sam, part number is: 65722-15U10 - Cost me £3.10 from RHDJapan, check their OEM section.

I sand blasted my rear wiper arms last night, just waiting on my primer now before I can spray them up. Got a couple of cleaning brushes and degreasers I borrowed from work, so I'll clean up the wiper housing and have a think about sand blasting it, or just clean and polish. I don't want to mess the bearings up by blasting them, I don't think covering them with a bit of masking tape will cut it some how! I'll probably have a go at the motor housing tonight with the sand blaster, should come up clean, ready for paint.
samgtr likes this.
Old 6th September 2017, 04:57 PM   #106 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quick pic of the work in progress. Primer should be here by Friday, so I'll get to work Sunday or Monday and spray them up. The masking tape did actually do a bloody good job at keeping 99% of the sand out, I just forgot to mask up the small holes meaning a bit got in. I have given it all a clean though, and as the thread is buggered anyway, it won't be used on the car, so I'm not overly worried about tiny particles doing any harm. I will be more thorough though when it comes to doing the 'working' version that'll go back on the car!

I masked off the rough shape on the back where the two parts of the housing and back plate go together. I don't know how the paint will react with the grease, so I'll leave it as it is, I didn't sand blast that bit either, so no worries there! Not entirely sure what the discoloured patch is on the back plate. I may have missed a bit of grease on the back, which has been absorbed passed the spot welds? We'll see what happens when it comes to the painting.

Really looking forward to getting these primed and painted, then the 2nd strip down can begin! I'll be a bit more methodical this time, maybe go a bit 'Kev' and take more pictures of the process too...
Simonh likes this.
Old 6th September 2017, 05:11 PM   #107 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
can you not re-tap the thread on the wiper motor?
Old 6th September 2017, 05:17 PM   #108 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh View Post
can you not re-tap the thread on the wiper motor?
Possibly, it looks like the majority of the thread is gone though unfortunately! I know the nut was cut off as it wouldn't come off of the housing. Personally, I think it is too far gone, but I'll have a look at work tonight if we have a die set that'll fit.

Worst case scenario, I already have a replacement!

Edit:

Scrub all that, I went to fit the nut on my replacement motor, only to find the first ****ing three threads are missing! So much for a good replacement! Mine has the middle 2-3 threads missing. I've coaxed it on and down on both housings using a little 3 in 1 oil, cleaned up with WD40 and then another run with 3 in 1 again. They both tighten up to the bottom, I guess only time will tell if either will actually hold properly. Also went to fit the new plate and rubber, only to find they don't fit, and the rubber is a different shape to the two I have! Ugh!! I reckon the kit must be for the front, so is still useful to me, if I do that one too. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bothered starting this now with the luck I seem to be having!

Edit 2:

Requested prices for pretty much all the seals, washers, nuts, etc. listed on Nissan Fast. I'll probably just buy the whole bloody lot, should get all the bits I need then! Don't fancy buying a new rear motor, they're about £300!

Last edited by Red Duke; 6th September 2017 at 06:33 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 08:42 AM   #109 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Found another used motor, checked all the pictures and it looks to have a good thread, plus all the other gubbins too! I'll still get new seals, etc but hopefully, this time I'll get one I can actually use! Coming next week, fingers crossed, again...
Old 7th September 2017, 11:03 AM   #110 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Duke View Post
And finally, my new toy!

I bought it to modify the centre console, and also to clean the inside of the KTS pipe kit as it is a little rough. Nothing too major, but I've read giving them a sand / polish to remove the rough casting helps the air flow better! I'm looking to get both my rear wiper arms sand blasted at work tonight too, just waiting on some Canbrush C29 metal primer, and then they'll be done in satin black too. Pics to follow...

Few more parts to arrive over the next few weeks, and hopefully get some progress pics when I pop over to the garage tomorrow. I'm very much looking forward to getting the car back and getting on with fitting some of this lot! Probably be away for a while yet though!
I get a lot of mileage out of my dremmel. If its any help for cleaning up pipework I have found that a cutting disc is good on the big stuff then using the 'tube' sandpaper sections to smooth out the finish. You tend to burn through cutting discs but ebay has them if you are not too proud to use non-Dremmel branded discs
Red Duke likes this.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:05 AM   #111 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Quick pic of the work in progress. Primer should be here by Friday, so I'll get to work Sunday or Monday and spray them up. The masking tape did actually do a bloody good job at keeping 99% of the sand out, I just forgot to mask up the small holes meaning a bit got in. I have given it all a clean though, and as the thread is buggered anyway, it won't be used on the car, so I'm not overly worried about tiny particles doing any harm. I will be more thorough though when it comes to doing the 'working' version that'll go back on the car!

I masked off the rough shape on the back where the two parts of the housing and back plate go together. I don't know how the paint will react with the grease, so I'll leave it as it is, I didn't sand blast that bit either, so no worries there! Not entirely sure what the discoloured patch is on the back plate. I may have missed a bit of grease on the back, which has been absorbed passed the spot welds? We'll see what happens when it comes to the painting.

Really looking forward to getting these primed and painted, then the 2nd strip down can begin! I'll be a bit more methodical this time, maybe go a bit 'Kev' and take more pictures of the process too...
Can I ask what process you are using for the painting? I did my wiper arms a while back, primed and painted with rattle cans of Plasti-Kote. It hasn't lasted well...
Old 7th September 2017, 06:19 PM   #112 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Nice one, thanks Cris. I'll get the pipes out next week after nights, from memory they weren't too bad inside, just need a little finishing off to add a bit of smoothness.

As for the arms, tbh I was going to do the same, but use Canbrush sprays. My interior trim still looks great, and is very close to an OEM finish (except it isn't rubber) - hoping the arms will come out the same. The car will be garaged eventually, so I probably won't fit them until that is built, but as I have two, I could always fit one and see how it lasts. I can always get them powder coated instead. I think the spray is safe for outdoors though iirc, I'll have to check. I could always top it off with a satin varnish...
Old 8th September 2017, 02:05 AM   #113 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Post Updated spec list

Updated spec list:

Wheels and tyres:
18" x 10" Rota Grid drift alloys in white, ET15.

Brakes:
K-sport 8 pot front calipers
K-sport 356mm front disks
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Braided hose set
Brake stopper kit

Suspension:
Meister R Zeta S suspension
Nismo suspension link arms front and rear
SuperPro polybushes in subframe, etc
Japspeed Hicas lockout bar

Interior:
Nismo white dial kit (320km)
Nismo white centre gauge cluster
Greddy water temp gauge
Greddy boost gauge
Greddy A-pillar gauge holder
Pioneer stereo
Kenwood underseat sub (mounted in boot)
Interior trim refurbed to OEM look (satin black)
Black leather / red stitch gaiters

Exterior:
Nismo N1 front bumper vents
Nismo Clear side repeaters
Nismo Clear front indicators
HID headlight kit
Carbon GT wing badges

Engine, exhaust and power mods:
Apexi power FC - Running 1 bar boost (1.1 peak)
HKS EVC V boost controller
Kakimoto GT1.OZ cat-back exhaust
Fujitsubo down pipe
Abbey Motorsport decat pipe
Blitz twin induction kit
Mocul oil cooler (mounted behind passenger indicator duct)
Nismo radiator cap
Nismo billet oil filler cap
Red cambelt, coilpack and cam covers
Adjustable exhaust cam pulley
Unknown exhaust cam
Japspeed black edition radiator
Autobahn88 silicone hoses
GReddy blue lightweight pulleys

Transmission:
Nismo super coppermix clutch
Nismo light weight flywheel
Nismo braided clutch line
Nismo solid shifter
Nismo reinforced gearbox mount

Pending changes:
Nismo hard pipes - intake & intercooler
KTS hard pipes - turbos to AFMs
Refit OEM air box & snorkel
Nismo 600cc injectors
Nismo FPR
Nismo S-Tune panel air filter
Nismo fuel pump
Nismo reinforced engine mounts
Knight Racer blank carbon end caps and Nismo S-Tune carbon covers
Autobahn88 blue heater hoses
Autobahn88 blue breather hoses (modify for Nismo oil separator?)
Samco blue radiator hoses
Nismo oil separator
Replacement OEM badges
Refit rear wiper after refurb
New dash bulbs
Japspeed rear boot brace
Blue-grey crackle paint on engine covers
Various new OEM parts

Some of the new OEM parts will probably go on once the car is nearing 'completion'. I'd like the 400R body kit and respray, so may use these as the finishing touches, still some bigger items I'd like to do first - I'm still not sure! Pointless fitting new badges just to remove them for kit fitting and respray!
rmiguelcar likes this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 21st November 2017 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: Updates.
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 11:12 PM   #114 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Been away from the forum for ages, again! I've been busy with work and the house extensions are going up quickly! Hoping to have the garage started early 2018. Can't wait.

Not much to report atm, few pics to add during the week next week (I'm at work atm) - basically I had the gearbox refreshed and all rebuilt, Nismo clutch line, super coppermix clutch and reinforced gearbox mount fitted, new radiator, hoses, belts and lightened pulleys. I've probably only done 50 miles so far on the car? She feels totally different, so smooth changing gear, but the clutch will take a few more miles to get used to it! Everything else I have to fit is currently in storage, tucked away safely, yet annoyingly out of immediate reach, so the next phase will have to wait until 2018 now. I'm considering a Link G4 before turbos & plenum purchase, then recoup some cash selling the Apexi PFC. I'm thinking about upgrading the rear brakes to the larger K-Sport to match the fronts. I really like them and can't really justify the prices on R35 brakes and associated parts! Not yet anyway...

Hopefully get some time in the car next week, before the proper cold weather and salt on the roads! Right, time to catch up on some missed threads...
Old 13th August 2018, 07:11 PM   #115 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Christ, been a while since I updated this!

Not a lot has happened yet, we're still sorting the house following a 3 month delay due to the concrete floor being damp in the back extension, making the self levelling screed lift in places! Took over 100 days to dry properly, even with the underfloor heating on low to help dry it out! Thankfully the Karndean flooring is now down and we've been able to crack on getting the rest of the house into the decoration phase. Got a quote from our landscapers to do the side garden for a drive / parking, so we need to see the builder now to get a quote for the garage too.. Nearly there...

September last year saw the fitment of my Nismo clutch line, Super Coppermix clutch and reinforced gearbox mount, the gearbox refreshed and all rebuilt, a new Japspeed radiator, blue hoses, OEM belts and Greddy lightened pulleys. Apologies for the first couple of pics, this is what I was sent. Must have been my hot GTR steaming up the camera!

Yes, my engine bay was dirty at the time! I'm waiting for the new strut tops to be made by Steve Richards(?) and that should be a job for this year, along with getting the engine bay resprayed - or at least as much as we can, before an engine pull to fit everything I've had building up parts wise for the last year or two!

I did give the GTR a good clean though a couple of weeks back, no garage and lack of use means moss on your rubbers! YUCK!

I have been able to put nearly 1000 miles on the new clutch though and that feels better each time I drive the car. I've recently bought the Nismo big operating cylinder, so I'm hoping to get that on as well as a service and brake overhaul in the next few weeks! We've been discussing options for a wheel refurb too, mulling over white, black or bronze?

I had my 40th in March and my wife bought me a private plate for the GTR, so I've been able to get a small 6 digit Jap size plate finally. It is not a GTR number, but something similar; it's a little joke for those who know GTR chassis codes.
Treated myself to a few goodies too: Personal Neo Grinta leather steering wheel to replace the aging Momo. White faced Defi gauges + controller that were for sale on here.

I've bought some decent black bolts from Probolt to replace the shitty, rusting eBay specials. They were expensive, but certainly won't rust!!

I'll have a look at getting the Border gauge holders as and when I get the other parts fitted, time to replace the tatty Greddy gauges I think.

Today, I got my Nismo solid shifter fitted and added the solid bushing I got from Austech(?) a while back, it fitted a lot easier than trying to get the shifter in with the new nylon bush! What a pig!

I need to fit my shift boot finisher, but that can wait until I get the interior updated.

Ordered more OEM parts too:
  • Nismo big operating cylinder
  • Nissan OEM copper washers (for BOC)
  • Nissan OEM number plate bracket
  • Nissan OEM bonnet lock & bolts
  • Nissan OEM water pump
  • Nissan OEM anti tamper number plate bolts
  • Nismo strengthened timing belt
  • Nissan OEM cambelt pulley and idler wheels

There are probably more OEM bits actually, but that's what I can remember! I'm also waiting on HPI turbo elbows (coming September), Top Secret carbon bonnet struts (for the OEM bonnet - coming October) and this bad boy...

The Nismo 2018 version oil cooler! It is currently in the country, waiting on customs clearance! HURRY UP!! I'll get pics when it arrives, of course that now means I need the Nismo front bumper - I don't like the stick on surround. Hopefully more to come this year, in particular to get a lot of my parts fitted and the car mapped in the interim before more new bits!

Also bought myself a new daily in Feb, a Toyota GT86, which I've also been modifying. Few bits on the interior too, alcantara 2017 BRZ dash topper, Focal speakers, etc. Grazio & Co carbon Toyota badges coming too for a different look. I won't list all of the current mods here as it probably isn't of interest to anyone else! Lol

Old 9th December 2018, 07:47 PM   #116 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I had more parts arrive, forgot to put pics up though! My garage has also finally been started! Frame and roof timbers are all up, hopefully the roof will be going on next week (rain stopped play Friday) and then the felt and hardi plank for the sides. Doors have been ordered, it should all be complete before Christmas. The insulation will have to wait until the new year, but we need our electrician to come in and do the first fix anyway so that isn't a problem. The tarmac for the drive should be down by the end of next week too! Excited!! Lol

2018 Nismo oil cooler:

Top Secret carbon bonnet struts:

HPI turbo elbows:

I'll get some garage pictures up this week hopefully. Off to see Ross at JDR tomorrow to discuss getting the strut tops done (from SR Autobodies, I'll add pics of those!) My Nismo big operating cylinder fitted and a few service bits for when the car is garages over the rest of winter! (God it feels good to be able to say that!)

Plans for 2019, start getting some of the parts I've collected fitted finally, refresh a few bits & buy more parts!
Old 11th December 2018, 07:50 AM   #117 (permalink)
Bennyboy1984 is grateful

Lovely parts there, how long was delivery on those HPI elbows? Great to hear about the garage being almost complete. Are you having a pit dug out?
Red Duke likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 08:01 AM   #118 (permalink)
I.am.Sully is pleased to have survived Zealou5!

great update!

I notice the Defi gauges. My owner is looking for a set for a new member of the family - where did you get these from? Any recommendations?
Red Duke likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:08 AM   #119 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks guys

HPI elbows took about 2 months from RHDJapan, should have been sooner but there was a manufacturing delay at the factory unfortunately! Didn't worry me as they won't be going on for a while anyway. I went to see Ross at JDR yesterday and we're going to hold off fitting the fuelling parts, etc until I have the Nismo plenum as the engine needs to come out to fit it. No point in fitting and then removing everything I've bought, only to refit it a second time! While the engine is out I'll get the rest of the bay repainted, engine cleaned up & painted and probably a refresh of all the bearings. I can't afford to go forged and as I won't be chasing big numbers (a safe 500bhp or so) we don't see the point - as much as I'd love a Nismo 2.8L! (Like Sully! )

Haha no pit for me, you're the third person to ask me that now! My GTR's underside is all fresh & sealed up, new bearings, Nismo arms, gearbox refresh... I don't really have a need for a pit tbh. We used to have one in my father in laws workshop for his building company, but as the yard was lower than the field at the back the rain water used to wash through the yard, rats would go through the wood over the pit and well, let's say they ended up as dead, furry, water balloons... The family that owned the land sold it to developers when my in-laws wrapped the business up due to ill health, a cheapo builder came along and stuck a load of not-so-cheap houses and bungalows there! The idiots filled in the culvet between the yard and the field... Guess where the excess water goes now!? Thankfully we're higher up than the houses next door so we're not affected! Lol

I'm going to get a decent set of low riser ramps (possibly the hydraulic type?) and an ultra low jack to get under the GTR, also a lot cheaper than a pit! The garage is at the bottom of a small slope so I don't want that filling with water either. We've got an ACO drain across the front too for any excess water, plus a couple of soakaways to be doubley sure!

Sully, I bought the gauges used from I think, Euro Exports on this forum. They are available new from RHDJapan, I had them on my wishlist for ages until a used set came up, I had to have them! Lol You'll probably be able to get them in the UK too, I think they're more expensive than from Japan though? I'm eyeing up the Border gauge pods for mine, I have two Greddy gauges that are getting a bit passed it now and need to go sadly.

Ooh, the GTR is booked in for January to have the strut tops done now before they need doing - mine look ok, but you never know! Few bits of paint on the top half to do at the same time (where the strut brace has rubbed) and have the rear arches looked at; small spots either side need a refresh so may as well hit them too.

I'll get some Garage pics uploaded today.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:58 AM   #120 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
Quote:
Thanks guys

HPI elbows took about 2 months from RHDJapan, should have been sooner but there was a manufacturing delay at the factory unfortunately! Didn't worry me as they won't be going on for a while anyway. I went to see Ross at JDR yesterday and we're going to hold off fitting the fuelling parts, etc until I have the Nismo plenum as the engine needs to come out to fit it. No point in fitting and then removing everything I've bought, only to refit it a second time! While the engine is out I'll get the rest of the bay repainted, engine cleaned up & painted and probably a refresh of all the bearings. I can't afford to go forged and as I won't be chasing big numbers (a safe 500bhp or so) we don't see the point - as much as I'd love a Nismo 2.8L! (Like Sully! )

Haha no pit for me, you're the third person to ask me that now! My GTR's underside is all fresh & sealed up, new bearings, Nismo arms, gearbox refresh... I don't really have a need for a pit tbh. We used to have one in my father in laws workshop for his building company, but as the yard was lower than the field at the back the rain water used to wash through the yard, rats would go through the wood over the pit and well, let's say they ended up as dead, furry, water balloons... The family that owned the land sold it to developers when my in-laws wrapped the business up due to ill health, a cheapo builder came along and stuck a load of not-so-cheap houses and bungalows there! The idiots filled in the culvet between the yard and the field... Guess where the excess water goes now!? Thankfully we're higher up than the houses next door so we're not affected! Lol

I'm going to get a decent set of low riser ramps (possibly the hydraulic type?) and an ultra low jack to get under the GTR, also a lot cheaper than a pit! The garage is at the bottom of a small slope so I don't want that filling with water either. We've got an ACO drain across the front too for any excess water, plus a couple of soakaways to be doubley sure!

Sully, I bought the gauges used from I think, Euro Exports on this forum. They are available new from RHDJapan, I had them on my wishlist for ages until a used set came up, I had to have them! Lol You'll probably be able to get them in the UK too, I think they're more expensive than from Japan though? I'm eyeing up the Border gauge pods for mine, I have two Greddy gauges that are getting a bit passed it now and need to go sadly.

Ooh, the GTR is booked in for January to have the strut tops done now before they need doing - mine look ok, but you never know! Few bits of paint on the top half to do at the same time (where the strut brace has rubbed) and have the rear arches looked at; small spots either side need a refresh so may as well hit them too.

I'll get some Garage pics uploaded today.
Love the build, great plans, keep the updates coming, got to be one of the most pampered bcnr33 in the uk
Red Duke likes this.