A tale of two Skylines. - Page 7 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th December 2018, 11:05 AM   #121 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Nice update mate, I like the bonnet dampers And the cooler looks nice in black.

Some great 33's around these days
Red Duke likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:08 AM   #122 (permalink)
I.am.Sully is pleased to have survived Zealou5!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgtr View Post
Love the build, great plans, keep the updates coming, got to be one of the most pampered bcnr33 in the uk

Hmmmm - nope.

that award goes to you!

(Don't want to hi-jack the thread - but if anyone has any Defi gauges for sale - please PM me)
Red Duke and samgtr like this.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:02 PM   #123 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Most pampered! I don't think mine counts yet, most of my new parts aren't actually on the car yet! Lol Thanks though! Far more cars on here that I'm taking inspiration from, hopefully once mine has progressed further, I can inspire someone else.

This time next year I plan to have the car in the garage, interior stripped out and then go to town on the sound proofing and update the interior. I saw a few pics of an R33 GTR stripped out recently having Dynamat(?) installed, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it!

Pics:

SR Autobodies Stut Top:

Garage progress:

The garage will have a GRP flat roof (lasts about 20-25 years!) which is something our builders have been doing a lot recently to great effect. The whole thing is under 2.5m tall so we could get a bit closer to the boundary due to the odd shape of the front garden. We gave up some land to the developers (who gave us some) to make the back part of our garden straighter (worked better for us both) and have put in a retaining wall as the garden really sloped away from left to right! We've got room for 4 cars on the drive in front of the garage, plus the hard standing for my mum-in-law that the council did a few years back. They didn't want to paint in a £400 "disabled box" lines as our neighbour over the road complained about it (despite there now being TWO! on the road done since, now they and our other neighbour need one!) so they spent.... £6000 to have a hard standing put in with a dropped kerb instead. It is not surprising councils have no money!

Rest of the Hardi plank should be on by the end of tomorrow, tarmac has been confirmed for Thursday! It is all happening now! Our electrician is coming in today too to discuss my requirements for the garage electrics and lighting, side door possibly in this week or early next week. The insulation will have to wait until after Christmas now, we didn't think we'd have the budget for the garage, thanks to my parents and my nan for the early Christmas gift! I think my dad wants my shit out of his garage to be fair, so probably an ulterior motive really! Lol

Oh, I've also ordered a big 'Nismo' banner for the garage wall too.
flovv and I.am.Sully like this.

Old 11th December 2018, 01:11 PM   #124 (permalink)
I.am.Sully is pleased to have survived Zealou5!

Fantastic garage - great job.

Interesting roof.......didn't consider that. How large are the sheets? We choose commercial thickness EPDM - 1 piece, no joints - 50 years life they say!
Red Duke likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 01:18 PM   #125 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

As it is fibreglass it ends up in one piece, you paint a bottom coat on (I've no idea what it is, resin?) apply the fibre matting, which is then coated again in what I think is the top sealer - this comes in a range of colours. We're having a dark grey to match the Hardi plank, not that you'll see it really. I did ask about EPDM but this stuff came highly recommended, it also only takes a couple of hours to do!

I've no idea how it works as I've never seen or heard of it before, meant to be a lot better than felt though which only lasts 10-15 years or so, plus no chance of leaks.
I.am.Sully likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 01:55 PM   #126 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking

More pics from todays WIP:

flovv likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 02:08 PM   #127 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

A present for the GT86 too, can't have her feeling left out!

Old 15th December 2018, 02:16 PM   #128 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking

First layer of tarmac is down on the drive, first part of the GRP garage roof is on (colour going on next week due to the poor weather forecast for today!) we also had our electrician in and fit some trunking into the type 1 (under the tarmac, etc) and laid the main power supply to the garage, he's coming back early in the new year to do the first fix! It's all coming together!

I'll get some pics up next week, it's usually dark by the time I get home.

Also got a couple of Xmas presents on their way, likely to be here in January:
  • Platinum Racing Products R35 GTR to RB26 coil pack conversion kit in black
  • Nismo exhaust manifold gasket set
  • Border triple gauge pod (for the Defi gauges)
  • Trust Greddy Neodymium Magdrain bolt (and one for the 86 too)
  • Trust Greddy water temperature joiner (blue - to replace my old one of the same type)

I've found the colour I want to do my engine covers in too, it is still a Nissan factory colour which will keep things in the 'Nissan family'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBFULLCOIL-BLACK-1.jpg (630.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:16 PM   #129 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thumbs up

Another pic heavy update, with some actual work on the car!

Starting off with the garage, the external cladding is now finished, side door is in and the first layer of tarmac is down. We're now waiting for the weather to be a bit warmer and dry before we can have the roof finished and 2nd layer of tarmac down! Front door is likely to be another couple of weeks yet as it is a 6 week lead time. I had some ply put up and part of the roof insulated, ready for the tracks for the garage door when it arrives. Just waiting on our electrician to come in for the rest of the first fix and put in an RCD(?) for power to the garage, then I can insulate the rest of the roof and then start on the walls!

I couldn't resist getting the GTR home though, finally!

And of course the obligatory wash, given she'd been stood up for a while again!

A clean GTR, and my new plate.

Of course, it wouldn't be Christmas without presents for myself or the GTR:

I was attempting to fit the new halogen bulbs today, removing the old HID kit in the process. It was then that I came across the weeping washer bottle. It looks like the rear wash pump has been weeping for some time, and corroded all the bracket!

I've taken it all out and will sandblast the bracket when I'm at work next, I'll then either kurust and prime & paint it or get it powdercoated as I have a couple of bits I want done anyway...

I got my new bulbs in and realigned the headlights. They've always been a bit shit, and lining them up against the garage wall (I used my GT86 as a comparison and marked the heights) my lights were over 3" lower than they should be! I was right about them pointing into the floor! The driver side adjusted up quickly and easily, the passenger side, not so much. Turns out the plastic holder had come free and was then rattling around inside the housing.

I ended up removing the light and baking it at 50-60 degrees for about 7-8 minutes. It wouldn't come apart on the first attempt (50 degrees for 5 minutes) but came apart on the 2nd go! I wasn't very hopeful about being successful, but it all worked as I'd hoped. Lens removed, I put the adjuster back together, and refurbed the main beam adjuster with some WD40 and 3-in-1 oil as the screw was rusty and very hard to move - it made an awful grinding noise, not any more!

I know I can sand and polish the lights, but the passenger side has always had a break by the indicator on the black surround bit, and it has always annoyed me; so I bought the Berhman headlight lens kit from RHDJapan! I'd already ordered a windscreen washer tank as I have the coolant overflow already, pretty glad I did now! I was only going to replace it for aesthetic reasons really, lol.

I reckon these will take a week or two to come as I've also ordered a few OEM bits too, 15 day lead time for some of that! Ugh!

I spent my Christmas money on some Tomei Type A camshafts for the GTR and a Laile Beatrush BMC stopper & Apexi air filter for the GT86. I've also added a few OEM bits to my order, mostly aesthetic stuff: New clutch fluid reservoir and cap, band clamp, etc. You can't get the BMC parts separately any more it seems, so I may well get a new one later in the year. PRP R35 coil kit has been dispatched too, exciting times ahead!

Tomorrows job: Give the engine bay a damn good clean! It is disgusting in places, hard to believe how much is revealed by just removing the light or washer tank! I'll probably polish & restore the drivers side headlight for now, as I'm not sure the new lens' will be here before she goes in for new strut tops.

Edit:

Pic for inspiration - This is a similar colour to how I want my engine covers done. If only I could afford a real F Sport engine!

jps, V-SpecII, Kadir and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 3rd January 2019 at 10:20 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 03:44 PM   #130 (permalink)
V-SpecII is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Soon R34
Think I may send just send you my r34 GTR headlihts to tart up whenever I post out the CE28's for the GT86.

Red Duke likes this.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:38 PM   #131 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-SpecII View Post
Think I may send just send you my r34 GTR headlihts to tart up whenever I post out the CE28's for the GT86.

I've already spent far too much on the GTR recently, I'm trying not to dip into the garage budget! My wife is a finance director, she has a way of knowing these things!! Lol

I got a bit more time on the car today; I started off by repairing the crack on the passenger headlight and then buffed the lens to see how well it'd polish up using the Meguiars 1 step headlight restorer kit. Pretty well as it turns out! I didn't need to use the sanding pads included in the box, the PlastX and wool buffer did the job perfectly well with my drill.

Feeling confident, I then tackled the driver headlight and did the same again. A couple of passes to get the worst of the yellowing and cloudiness out of the lens, I finally used my detailers tape I've had sitting around for ages too!

Once I was happy with the light, I moved to the rear and gave them a quick once over too, before applying a sealant to them all which makes the lenses water repellent and also resist 98% of UVA and UVB rays! I'll do the same to the new lenses when they arrive.

You may have noticed the passenger side is back together again. It made sense to get it in the oven for a bit and see how well it goes back together using the old sealant; No issues at all! I then sealed the lens too and reinstalled it in the car before adjusting the light levels again.

Once the Berhman lenses are on, I'll get my car to my friendly local MOT tester and get the levels adjusted properly rather than my "looks about right to me" marks on the garage wall!

Having had to remove the GTR grille to get the passenger light out, it exposed just how much crud had build up underneath it. It was awful. I bought a bottle of Gunk engine degreaser from Clean Your Car ages ago but again, never used it. So, I slapped some in an eBay special squirty bottle and got to work, also giving the engine bay a quick spritz. I want to replace or refurbish the majority when the engine eventually gets pulled, but that isn't a job for now! Itching to get my new lock and bolts on, but I'm keeping my new OEM parts until later into the project. No point in fitting them yet when I want to get paint done, etc!

I couldn't wait to sandblast my washer bottle bracket, so I attacked it with my Dremel instead! I'll find out next week about powdercoating as I think it'll last longer than spraying it. I've still got the pair of rear wiper arms to get done and also an S15 boot brace I'd like coated too, so I'm hoping to get it all done in one hit.

Oh, and I had a nice beer with sausage, egg, chips and beans! Thanks for reading!
Phil023 likes this.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:31 AM   #132 (permalink)
V-SpecII is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Soon R34
Haha don't worry dude, remember my offer she won't even know, can pay when you get some pocket change.

About the headlights, if your getting new lenses why on earth did you refurb your lenses, sorry I may have missed something I am half asleep typing this. :chcukcle:
Red Duke likes this.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:39 AM   #133 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

Morning Bud,

Always followed this with great interest and I must say, you've definitely turned it up a notch this last month, more new parts, work on the car and the new garage, which by the way is great, so clean and fresh and no clutter, though I think that will change.

Love all the bits you're getting together as well, I'm a little jealous if I'm honest, especially of that Nismo oil cooler, If you get time over the next few months, is there any chance of some more detailed pics of how it goes together, with the deflectors and brackets, I'd like to have a go at making one for mine as I'll never be able to justify buying the real thing, I know yours is for a 33 so there will be differences, but it just to get a general idea.

And could I ask, why the hell are you buffing your head lights and grinding brackets at the kitchen table when you have a garage out side, bet your wife just loves you, I think mine would chop my nuts of if I did that.

All the best for the new year mate

Kev.
Red Duke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #134 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-SpecII View Post
Haha don't worry dude, remember my offer she won't even know, can pay when you get some pocket change.

About the headlights, if your getting new lenses why on earth did you refurb your lenses, sorry I may have missed something I am half asleep typing this. :chcukcle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Morning Bud,

Always followed this with great interest and I must say, you've definitely turned it up a notch this last month, more new parts, work on the car and the new garage, which by the way is great, so clean and fresh and no clutter, though I think that will change.

Love all the bits you're getting together as well, I'm a little jealous if I'm honest, especially of that Nismo oil cooler, If you get time over the next few months, is there any chance of some more detailed pics of how it goes together, with the deflectors and brackets, I'd like to have a go at making one for mine as I'll never be able to justify buying the real thing, I know yours is for a 33 so there will be differences, but it just to get a general idea.

And could I ask, why the hell are you buffing your head lights and grinding brackets at the kitchen table when you have a garage out side, bet your wife just loves you, I think mine would chop my nuts of if I did that.

All the best for the new year mate

Kev.
Massive thanks to you both, always makes it worthwhile to get positive comments!

The passenger light was done out of necessity really, as the dipped beam was flapping left to right when I tried to put the new bulb back in, I've probably over adjusted it! Not entirely sure how the black plastic clip came out though, it was a pig to refit into its holder! I didn't want to leave it until I got the new lenses, as I am taking the car to the garage for the strut tops soon. I did call the GTR Heritage centre to get a used headlight, but I think the only halogen unit (series 1) they had was for spares / repair. I didn't get any pictures of it though, so I thought sod it I'll have a go at mine instead and well, things escalated from there really!

I'd used the PlastX before without much success, but that was doing it by hand and it made virtually no discernible difference. With the wool pad and drill though, night and day difference as you can see by the pictures! They still have a slight yellow tinge to them, but I don't think you'll ever really get that out as they are 20+ years old and the car hasn't been garaged in my 7 ownership unfortunately (until now!) The lights on my mum-in-laws X5 are a lot, lot worse than my GTR, and as I will replace my lenses anyway, I wanted to get a feel for how well the kit would work before tackling her lights with the wet & dry pads and restoration kit. There is some method in my madness! That, and I was excited to be able to work on my car finally, in the dry!

As for the kitchen table, I did have some paper down, a couple of heat mats (for dinner plates) and an old duvet cover to do stuff. She wasn't too worried, providing I didn't mark the table! It from Ikea so wasn't massively expensive, I think it'd be a different story if it was solid oak though!! - As I don't yet have a front door on my garage (hopefully be the next couple of weeks) and no lighting or even electrics yet, it makes doing the fiddly jobs by torch light really difficult, hence being inside on the kitchen table. It should only be until late January / early February and once it is secure I can build a work bench and have my tool chest in the garage too! I need to put that together too as I bought 2 (at half price each!) from SGS Engineering in early 2018? I said I'd buy my dad one as he had an old filing cabinet which was not meant to be full of tools! It drove me ****ing mad... Only proviso was he stored mine and it has been in my parents summerhouse ever since, waiting on the garage to be built. I don't have loads of tools to put in it yet, but I'll add more as and when I need it.

I don't think she's realised I used her range cooker to bake the headlight, yet.

Oh, to be fair, I did a lot of the polishing and grinding in my lap, it caused a lot of merriment to have a big black hoover hose stuck up between my legs! So immature! Lol - It was the only way I could hold the bracket and Dremel it (safely) while sucking up the sparks and rust, dust and galv fumes coming off of it!

No worries about the oil cooler Kev, that was a bit of a story in itself really! I've been buying mostly Nismo stuff where possible, and with prices going up and parts being discontinued I wanted to get one before it was too late. I found the old version cooler, went to buy it only to be told it'd sold earlier that week! But, there was a new version on the way... That's when I saw the 2018 version and got my name on the waiting list! I've been quite lucky in that overtime at work had been pretty easy to come by, and a lot of my parts have come from doing that. With the extensions taking up a lot of our time furniture hunting, etc, lack of sleep from noise during my sleep hours on nights, I turned a lot down - that meant less free cash for the bigger car bits! I'm back on it now though, so hopefully get my plenum and turbos before the summer! I'll have a Mocal cooler coming off my car once I have the new one on if that'd be any good to you to modify or have a play with? I'll get some pics of the Nismo too though, I'll need to go though my Nismo storeroom and find it first, lol. The R33 GTR Nismo cooler is designed to be used with the 400R / S-Tune bumper though as it has vents, that or the extra vents I think Final Motion sell will also work? The 400R front has a diffuser the cooler and shroud fits into I believe, not sure how it fits on the R32, but the PN is definitely different.

I'm in on OT tonight too so I'll use the sandblaster there to get the last rust off the bracket ready for coating, still haven't decided yet, but I'm itching to get it back on the car, so it'll likely be prime and paint for now.

Happy new year to you too!

Edit: I forgot to add, I've ordered some 3500K sidelights too that match the Night Breakers colour, no more different colour bulbs!
V-SpecII and kevr32 like this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 5th January 2019 at 05:18 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 01:09 PM   #135 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Typically the works sandblaster has packed up! Possibly blocked up but I don't know enough about the system to fiddle about with it really, it made all the right noises, just had no media coming out and very little air from the nozzle (despite me adding more media) - My dad bought a handheld blaster from Aldi a few years back, came with two pots of media too, but he'd never used it. It wasn't as good as a full on cabinet, but it did take off the rust I couldn't grind off. I'll get a pic up in a bit, not a lot to see but it is ready for powder coating in the next week or two, I may well get some more Kurust (as I can't find mine!) and give it a coat to save it oxidising between now and then! I'll add my rear wiper arms and Japspeed S15 boot brace and too, so that'll be something else to fit in February!

I've also bought something very special for the car, I don't think many people on here have one, but I know a couple of my fellow GTR & 33 owners do, I'll add pics when it arrives...
Old 14th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #136 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I had some nice bits arrive, with more to come this week & next, if Apexi don't cause another delay!

R35 GTR coilpack conversion kit from Platinum Racing Products:

And a piece I've wanted for a long, long time!

Currently waiting on Tomei Type A Poncams and a number of Nissan OEM items. I ordered an Apexi air filter for the 86 too, unfortunately this has been delayed (by Apexi, surprise surprise!) so nothing is shipping until it comes in! Meant to be tomorrow...
A few of my other OEM bits aren't due until the 18th but they're on a separate order. Car is going in next week for strut tops and a couple of other bits, plus an idea I've borrowed from elsewhere. I'll add pics of that once it is done!

New 3500K LED sidelight bulbs have arrived too, but I've not had time to fit them yet - They should be the same colour as the Nightbreakers though!
MS33, Cal3533 and I.am.Sully like this.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:11 PM   #137 (permalink)
Cal3533 is Broke :(
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Duke View Post
I've wanted one of them since owning my 32 Where did you get it from in the end? i'm debating whether to just bite the bullet with one!
Red Duke likes this.
Cal3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 04:39 PM   #138 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3533 View Post
I've wanted one of them since owning my 32 Where did you get it from in the end? i'm debating whether to just bite the bullet with one!
I got it from RHD Japan, it was 7% off during their sale too! They don't come up used very often and the prices people want aren't far off a brand new item which also come with all the new gaskets, etc! It had to be done... Lol - Now I just need the Nismo R2 turbos and I can get things fitted while the engine is out!
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:38 PM   #139 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Few bits of progress made recently! I've had some more OEM arrive, a few nice parts, had the GTR over at JDR for the new strut tops and have ordered the insulation and wood for finishing the garage! Hoping to hear about the front door in the next week or two, due to the colour it has taken a bit longer than usual!
  • Behrman / Wise Square headlight lenses
  • OEM Clutch master cylinder refurb parts
  • Tomei Type A Poncams (I have previously bought their adjustable cam pulleys, but forgot pictures!)
  • AEM AFR gauge + 52mm gauge pod
  • OEM Windscreen washer tank
  • OEM BMC refurb parts
  • OEM Airbox clips, rubbers, etc.

Here are a few of my strut tops, they weren't too bad considering the car hasn't been garaged for my 7 years+ ownership (it is now!) - Most of the top rust was caused by my strut brace rubbing the paint away. I had made silicone gaskets but they were a bit thick, so I removed them. next set will be 1mm or 1.5mm instead of 3mm (possibly 4mm... )

All looked ok, that was until Ross got the old tops off. 25 years of trapped water due to no factory sealant, including 15 years or so on UK roads and a few trips out on salty winter roads (not by choice!) have really taken their toll! Metal was taken back to good stuff, treated with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, properly sealed and put back together again, before the underside was also fully sealed and undersealed to help stop it coming back! Interim paint work still looks great, but the engine bay will be refreshed this year when the engine comes out for my parts to go on, likely a full refresh of bearings and fit my new pumps, plenum, etc.

Very happy with the work which didn't break the bank either! No pictures of the in-between stages I'm afraid, but everything was etch primed and undersealed / treated before assembly. I also had my brakes serviced, pistons cleaned and lubricated, etc. Looking forward to picking her up, if the weather doesn't turn bad again! Should stop a lot better now too.

Next few jobs, I'll more than likely order all the window seals front and rear, get the glass out and check for any issues, get the paint refreshed? Possibly fit my new windscreen cowl afterwards and new wiper arms... Just waiting for a few project bits to come back which I may reveal next time, or maybe not. I do have a lot of parts I don't remember taking pictures of though, I really need to go through everything I have, but that is going to take a while!

I'm thinking about getting a 52mm A pillar pod for my AEM AFR gauge, I have a double 60mm gauge pod already which has a couple of small cracks, wondering about modifying that to add the 52mm to it and then fibreglass the lot to make it stonger, and spray it the same satin black as the factory panels I redid a few years back.
flovv, rmiguelcar and Phil023 like this.
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:25 AM   #140 (permalink)
Jimbostir is Wondering: Will ANDY H ever get his 32 on the road?.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Datsun
Any more updates for us?