Width Question Please - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
H20 MRV is In a C63 and having Fun
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Question Width Question Please

Hi All,

Can you tell me how wide a GT-R 35 is with the Mirrors folded in?
My garage door opening is 2m 16 cm though much bigger on the inside and i am wondering if the car will fit through the hole as it were!

I cant try the car itself as i am offshore just now and i am keen to put a deposit on a very nice 35 here in scotland

HELP!!!!
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
WooHoo is now on EcuTek
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

It's 1895mm wide with mirrors in, and 1981mm with them out.

I had a similar problem before I got mine, and ended up getting a new garage door installed the week before it arrived! I was a bit concerned that if the door was so narrow I was going to have to fold the mirrors in just to make the car fit then I'd be playing with only 3-4cm on each side - I have to reverse round a corner into my garage, and though I'd love to think that I'm good enough to be that accurate every time I figured over a few years use I'd have been bound to scrape something at some point...
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool

Thanks WooHoo,

I was worried fortunatly its a straight reverse into my garage and once though the door frame as it were i am in a triangular garage as its on the corner! i was just a "Bit" worried that i would have to leave the car outside, its a very nice quite bit i live in but i am offshore 9 months a year so in the estate would be a no no

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooHoo View Post

I had a similar problem before I got mine, and ended up getting a new garage door installed the week before it arrived! I was a bit concerned that if the door was so narrow I was going to have to fold the mirrors in just to make the car fit then I'd be playing with only 3-4cm on each side - I have to reverse round a corner into my garage, and though I'd love to think that I'm good enough to be that accurate every time I figured over a few years use I'd have been bound to scrape something at some point...

Old 3rd January 2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WooHoo View Post

Interesting figures, thanks.

The thing to watch out for is that although the mirrors are the widest point, it is only by 1.7 inches on each side. The rear wings are the next widest and the widest point is not visible in the door mirrors. Very easy to catch them, e.g. when going through a 6' 6" width limit, which I do not recommend...
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
bootnec is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 MRV View Post
Thanks WooHoo,

I was worried fortunatly its a straight reverse into my garage and once though the door frame as it were i am in a triangular garage as its on the corner! i was just a "Bit" worried that i would have to leave the car outside, its a very nice quite bit i live in but i am offshore 9 months a year so in the estate would be a no no
intresting,

your away so much of the year and your spending so much on a car,

im in the same boat,im away for 8 months of the year,still trying to justify it to myself..how did you manage?? and also fretting about finding a garage wide enough!

good luck!
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well.......

Well i dont smoke you see and the cash i save can get spent on my passion, cars!

And to add insult to injury i dont use the car for running about in when home, its just for high days and holidays, Blasts up the north A9/ West at 5am on a summers morning are my thing, NOT that i would speed you understand as that would be Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootnec View Post
intresting,

your away so much of the year and your spending so much on a car,

im in the same boat,im away for 8 months of the year,still trying to justify it to myself..how did you manage?? and also fretting about finding a garage wide enough!

good luck!
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
bootnec is unaware they can edit their status

fond memories of the A9 from my evo days,i used to work in arbroath,

if you dont mind me asking is the GTR in a dealer in aberdeen?

cheers.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

No Mate, Nobles here in sunny (?) Edinburgh.
Old 4th January 2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post

The thing to watch out for is that although the mirrors are the widest point, it is only by 1.7 inches on each side. The rear wings are the next widest and the widest point is not visible in the door mirrors. Very easy to catch them, e.g. when going through a 6' 6" width limit, which I do not recommend...
Gone through two 6' 6" width limits, not a nice experience!
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Audio Addict is Now taking passenger rides in his GTR
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: MY11 GTR, Evo 9MR, Mini Cooper S
Garage width

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post

Hhmmmmmm I'm in the process of buying a GTR, one of the sticking points was "would it fit in the garage".

My Evo goes through the door with the mirrors out and a small bit to play with, but the GTR is slightly wider.

Hopefully it won't be too much of a squeeze otherwise I may have to change the door.
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
BND
BND is done with mods ... for now.
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 and previously Evo X, Evo IX, Z33, S15, S14
Reviving an old thread, but just been going through the same thing.

Relocated from Australia a few weeks back and just can't believe how narrow garage doors are over here.

GF hasn't appreciated my #1 criteria for house hunting has been garage door width ...
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
alex_123_fra is now on stage 4

Cars owned: B7 RS4, B8 S4, Noble M400, Evo VIII MR FQ340, R32, E46 M3, Type-R
Mine doesn't fit in my garage (or at least in a way that I can actually get out of it).

Still didn't stop me buying one.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
andyg is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35
my prob was was depth only got an inch to spare at the back so my answer was to reverse in.
even tho i have park sensors have to get so close to the wall at the back its impossible to judge so got car in garage marked floor behind tyre
and screwed a piece of 4" by 4" wood to the floor then another piece of 4" by 4" to the top of that so when car tyre stops against wood im in,