MY11 Y-pipe and no remap? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SamboGrove

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th January 2012, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
computergeek is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

MY11 Y-pipe and no remap?

I'm thinking about adding a resonated y pipe (perhaps milltek) to improve the sound on a MY 11 car. Does it really need a remap too?

I'm not really concerned about increasing the power but have read some comments about adding a Y pipe without a remap causes more black unburnt fuel on the back of the car.

If I do go for a remap like Litchfields stage 1 is it reversable if I wanted to sell the car stock? It looks like a simple job to switch back the stock Y pipe when selling or for an MOT if required.
Old 9th January 2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Reg is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: McLaren 12c
Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
I'm thinking about adding a resonated y pipe (perhaps milltek) to improve the sound on a MY 11 car. Does it really need a remap too?

I'm not really concerned about increasing the power but have read some comments about adding a Y pipe without a remap causes more black unburnt fuel on the back of the car.

If I do go for a remap like Litchfields stage 1 is it reversable if I wanted to sell the car stock? It looks like a simple job to switch back the stock Y pipe when selling or for an MOT if required.
I have just added a Milltek resonated Y pipe to my car. As far as I am aware (and the experts on here will no doubt correct me) the car does not need a remap, but it would be beneficial to get the fuel rate at its optimum as the car will be (even more) uneconomical after the cats have been removed. Of course, the remap will also give you an extra 60 to 70 BHP I have not noticed any more black soot than normal out of the back end but I have only had it on a week and Ian from Litchfield told me there would be more and he should know!

I think a COBB mapping unit allows you to put the car back to stock if you need to. Not so sure about the ECUtek that Litchfield offer as you have to go to their premises to have it done, unlike a COBB which you can do yourself. Ian did mention that they are bringing out an ECUtek cable shortly so perhaps that will offer the option of putting the ECU back to stock...
Old 9th January 2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

I haven't noticed any difference in fuel or soot on the back. Had mine fitted after first optimisation. The resonated Miltek gives a perfect compromise IMO, better exhaust note, little drone in the cabin and track day friendly

Anders
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th January 2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
andrew186 is GTR crazy
Registered

Cars owned: R34 GTR, BMW M4, BMW F10 528i, Audi Q7, BMW F30 330e
you will not need a remap just for a y-pipe

and you will have no problems with MOT as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R35 GTR built by R-Engineering/AMS
Audi R8 V10 DMS Tuned | Larini 610bhp SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R
(635bhp/640lbft) SOLD
andrew186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Drive it hard and the rear of your car will be covered in unburnt fuel residue. Made even worse if yours is a white car. Mine was terrible
Old 9th January 2012, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris956 View Post
Drive it hard and the rear of your car will be covered in unburnt fuel residue. Made even worse if yours is a white car. Mine was terrible
+1. Also if you floor it from the lights at night you'll think you're driving a 20yr old Pug diesel when you look in your rear view mirror. Without an alteration to the mapping you'll be pissing as much fuel out of the zorst as the you will be buring in the engine.

No harm likely so if you don't want to remap & the above doesn't bother you then the car will still run fine, but i'd recommend having at least a Stage 1 tune.
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
MIKEGTR is rolling on double deuces
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Midnight Purple R33 GTR
Depends how valuable your warranty is to u
Old 9th January 2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEGTR View Post
Depends how valuable your warranty is to u
and how many blown engines has Nissan linked to Y-pipes and refused warranty on?
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Old 9th January 2012, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
DWC
DWC is Is back in the game with a MY15. Get in !
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR/RS4/M3/Leon Fr 550/Mercedes ML 350
No problems with soot mate. Had resonated y pipe on mine without remap for over 6 months. No different than the normal amount of soot to be honest. Just had remap done and now its a lethal weapon lol.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_R35 View Post
and how many blown engines has Nissan linked to Y-pipes and refused warranty on?
I think Mike is being a bit naughty there
TalibGTR likes this.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_R35 View Post
I think Mike was making reference to a remap causing Warranty issues, not "Y" pipe. I know the Milly pipe if fitted by an NHPC is warranty friendly.
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Impossible is Happy

I have the milltek y-pipe with out a remap and have not noticed any more sut.

I'm also considering a stage 2 remap but am waiting for a few more months to make sure the car is solid just in case something goes wrong and i cant claim on warranty.

But who knows if everything goes well in the next year I may want to sell up for an aventador and the gt-r would sell better with no remap.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I have the milltek y-pipe with out a remap and have not noticed any more sut.

I'm also considering a stage 2 remap but am waiting for a few more months to make sure the car is solid just in case something goes wrong and i cant claim on warranty.

But who knows if everything goes well in the next year I may want to sell up for an aventador and the gt-r would sell better with no remap.
I'm doing the same, getting a few more track days done before remapping. Then the tough choice...EcuTek or Cobb, but that's a whole other thread.

Anders
Old 11th January 2012, 05:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
H20 MRV is In a C63 and having Fun

I will be fitting my y section and running without a remap for about a week, I am told by Nissan it's no problem.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here's an email conversation I had with Iain at Litchfield about the y-pipe and remap:

-----------------------------------------

Iím thinking of getting a y-pipe fitted to my MY11 GTR to improve the noise. Over on the GTR forum some people suggest that doing that without a remap causes more fuel consumption and more soot coming out of the back of the car

If I went for your stage 1 conversion what does the Ecutek remap involve? Do you make physical changes to the car or is purely just programming the existing ECU? Can the changes be reversed if I wanted to sell the car stock?

-----------------------------------------
Thanks for the email,

The Y-pipe will cause the car to run richer as a consequence of fitting the Y-pipe but this will only be under heavier loads. I have attached a quick screen shot of the standard 2011 fuel map which will show what happens. As the car accelerates it will quickly work its way across and down the fuel map. A standard car will just about reach the 100% load column along the top but quickly settle around 90% and drop down to75-80% at high rpm. The Y-pipe equipped car will easily hit 100% load and stay in that column for much longer. As you can see the target fuel ratio is significantly richer in the 100% column than in 90% where the standard car will run. This is why the Y-pipe will causes the car to run so rich and will limit the power.

We have a lot of experience tuning the GTR including the 2011 car of which we had the first in the country and I use daily. We are about to launch a new website later today which will have a lot more information on our upgrades and 2011 tuning.

The Ecutek software is reversible and there is no charge for this. We donít need to make any changes to the car as the program is changed using the OBD port under the steering wheel.

If you have any questions please feel free to

Regards

Iain Litchfield

Director
Litchfield Imports

----------------------------------------

What about with Nissan servicing? Are they happy to service cars like this and does it make any difference to the adjustments and measurements they would make during a normal service?

----------------------------------------

Servicing is no issue with a Stage1 car and requires no change to the normal schedule. The Ecutek software does not cause and problems with the Nissan Consult 3 diagnositic software (which we also have) and unless the dealer took it for a test drive they probably would not even notice the difference. In fact if you put the car in to the Road mode at a lower boost setting the car would feel the same as standard anyway.

Regards

Iain Litchfield

Director
Litchfield Imports
Old 11th January 2012, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Impossible is Happy

im lost ...so adding a y-pipe with no re-map will limit the power?
Old 11th January 2012, 02:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
From what Ian was saying I don't think the power will change significantly with a y-pipe and no remap. However, under heavy load the car will run richer than normal. Hence, more soot and possibly worst fuel consumption.

I'll probably go for a remap with the y-pipe as there doesn't seem to be any seriours drawbacks and it's reversible.
Old 11th January 2012, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
From what Ian was saying I don't think the power will change significantly with a y-pipe and no remap. However, under heavy load the car will run richer than normal. Hence, more soot and possibly worst fuel consumption.

I'll probably go for a remap with the y-pipe as there doesn't seem to be any seriours drawbacks and it's reversible.
It's reversable, but bear in mind the black box recorder will know the car's been remapped as it will record higher boost levels and different AFR's.

Anders
Old 11th January 2012, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Quote:
Power will not change and there will be no limit on power compared to normal. All a "Y pipe only" does is give you more noise and a sooty rear end because it will run rich. The car will alter its mapping to compensate but it can only work in the parameters set by Nissan and you "May" gain a horse power here or there. Get someone else ( Cobb , EcuTek et al ) to adjust those parameters and more power can be accessed as the engine is allowed to breathe easier.....