North West Ownership - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th January 2012, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mark_Paul is off to go and view GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

North West Ownership

Hi Guys

Ive been looking into GTR ownership for around 6 months now. Have always opted for in Warranty one year old cars, or bitten the bullet and bought new, but Im getting a bit fed up with taking hits on cars that have been exciting, but in a much lower league than a GTR. Depreciation is part and parcel of expensive cars, but when your just in a golf in a frock, it feels all to hard to bear!

The main issue with the GTR for me is the Servicing and maintenance. Deja Vu anyone? lol

Now ive gone through pretty much every thread on the forum so have answered most of my questions, the only few id like to chat about would be the below.

A. Im in the Northwest and haven't seen many people mentioning servicing around this area, apart from Middlehursts and CPR (is it still caput?). I dont mind driving the car to litchfields, but as i will only be doing 6k a year in the car, the 6 monthly services seem overkill. Massive Overkill. Are there any Northwest Options?

B. The car is going to be a road car, not tracked, and will cover 6k miles a year. I am planning to pick up a car with about 4/5 months left on the warranty and just service it to the mileage recommendations or every 12 months, which ever is first. Does this seem fair? Will the GTR Police sneak into my house at night and do terrible things to me???

I suppose if i did find someone local i may stick to the 6 months, but just tone the services down alot, just get it checked over etc...

Apart from the above im ready ! I originally couldn't decide between another TT (RS) or a GTR, but thankfully i then found my balls

Any advise appreciated...
Old 12th January 2012, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
HSimon is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Paul View Post
Hi Guys

Ive been looking into GTR ownership for around 6 months now. Have always opted for in Warranty one year old cars, or bitten the bullet and bought new, but Im getting a bit fed up with taking hits on cars that have been exciting, but in a much lower league than a GTR. Depreciation is part and parcel of expensive cars, but when your just in a golf in a frock, it feels all to hard to bear!

The main issue with the GTR for me is the Servicing and maintenance. Deja Vu anyone? lol

Now ive gone through pretty much every thread on the forum so have answered most of my questions, the only few id like to chat about would be the below.

A. Im in the Northwest and haven't seen many people mentioning servicing around this area, apart from Middlehursts and CPR (is it still caput?). I dont mind driving the car to litchfields, but as i will only be doing 6k a year in the car, the 6 monthly services seem overkill. Massive Overkill. Are there any Northwest Options?

B. The car is going to be a road car, not tracked, and will cover 6k miles a year. I am planning to pick up a car with about 4/5 months left on the warranty and just service it to the mileage recommendations or every 12 months, which ever is first. Does this seem fair? Will the GTR Police sneak into my house at night and do terrible things to me???

I suppose if i did find someone local i may stick to the 6 months, but just tone the services down alot, just get it checked over etc...

Apart from the above im ready ! I originally couldn't decide between another TT (RS) or a GTR, but thankfully i then found my balls

Any advise appreciated...
Hi Mate,
Im in the north west myself, and funnily enough, i sold my TT RS, to buy the GT-R. Like you have said, Middlehursts, are your first port of call, if you want full peace of mind of your warranty. The six month servicing, is overkill really, but unfortunately, its just the way it is. Weve been chatting about RB Motorsport here recently, and by all accounts, they are good guys to deal with, and have the right equipment, and knowledge to service your car, and they are based in Mawdsley, so central Nothwest. Where you on the TT Forum ?. Regards, SIMON.
Old 12th January 2012, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
rob wild is In a R33 GTR
Registered

I'm in a similar boat and looking at a my10 GTR. I'll be taking it to RB motorspot as they are fair priced and good to deal with! As far as servicing is concerned I'm going to do as Rod at RB suggests! There seems to be a fair few NW members now be could to meet up and talk about the price of tyres :d

Old 12th January 2012, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSimon View Post
Hi Mate,
Im in the north west myself, and funnily enough, i sold my TT RS, to buy the GT-R. Like you have said, Middlehursts, are your first port of call, if you want full peace of mind of your warranty. The six month servicing, is overkill really, but unfortunately, its just the way it is. Weve been chatting about RB Motorsport here recently, and by all accounts, they are good guys to deal with, and have the right equipment, and knowledge to service your car, and they are based in Mawdsley, so central Nothwest. Where you on the TT Forum ?. Regards, SIMON.
Was mostly a lurker on the tt forum Si. Have done bugger all to the tts. I'd of killed for an rs but they where not available in stronic when I picked up the tts.

Did you tune the TT RS because I'm sure I've read somewhere that they are quicker than the GTR

How your finding life in the gtr? Much more difficult to live with?

Mawdsley?? I'm in southport so ultimately it's about 10 minutes away if that! That really is a massive game changer! Although I will need to check my balls one last time before buying one out of warranty! Ha
Old 12th January 2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob wild View Post
I'm in a similar boat and looking at a my10 GTR. I'll be taking it to RB motorspot as they are fair priced and good to deal with! As far as servicing is concerned I'm going to do as Rod at RB suggests! There seems to be a fair few NW members now be could to meet up and talk about the price of tyres :d
Nothing like a good moan about the cost of rubber! I mean almost 5 quid for a pack of 3. Scandalous!

DB sounds ideal, Have they got a web site, can't seem to find much myself.
Old 13th January 2012, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
I'm in formby mark and I may well use RB come May when my warranty is finished. Undecided at the moment.

Actually thus far MH have been great to deal with and not that expensive especially if you drop to 12 month services and supply your own fluids.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Paul View Post
Was mostly a lurker on the tt forum Si. Have done bugger all to the tts. I'd of killed for an rs but they where not available in stronic when I picked up the tts.

Did you tune the TT RS because I'm sure I've read somewhere that they are quicker than the GTR

How your finding life in the gtr? Much more difficult to live with?

Mawdsley?? I'm in southport so ultimately it's about 10 minutes away if that! That really is a massive game changer! Although I will need to check my balls one last time before buying one out of warranty! Ha
Hi Mate,
I didnt tune my RS in the end. I was waiting for Revo to sort their upgrade out for the S-Tronic, but the tuners are struggling still, to remap the car, without removing, and opening the ECU. Also, the urge for a GT-R was strong, and still is. A remapped TT RS, is a quick beasty, and i cannot comment on how quick they are, as i havent driven one. But quicker then a standard GT-R ?, i still cant see it. The standard GT-R is just fantastic, and i find myself still amazed, at just how fast the car is standard. So, what it must be like with just a remap, must be amazing. I only use my GT-R occasionally, so not every day, and its certainly not difficult to live with in these conditions. I would suggest spending half a day in one, if your not 100% sure, and not just a 20 minute test drive. Also, i think between Middlehursts, and Rod at RB Motorsport, you are in great shape locally, for servicing, upgrading and advice, you cant go wrong. Regards, SIMON.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
I'm in formby mark and I may well use RB come May when my warranty is finished. Undecided at the moment.

Actually thus far MH have been great to deal with and not that expensive especially if you drop to 12 month services and supply your own fluids.
Hi Charles... Grew up in Formby myself mate, Ahh the good old days in the Raily and Freshy! Good to know there's some local members

All excellent news. Id gathered that we are pretty blessed with Middlehursts as an HPC from what people have said on the forums. But there is nothing like a good indie.

Ive got a feeling that April/May is going to take a Long time to arrive!
Old 13th January 2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSimon View Post
Hi Mate,
I didnt tune my RS in the end. I was waiting for Revo to sort their upgrade out for the S-Tronic, but the tuners are struggling still, to remap the car, without removing, and opening the ECU. Also, the urge for a GT-R was strong, and still is. A remapped TT RS, is a quick beasty, and i cannot comment on how quick they are, as i havent driven one. But quicker then a standard GT-R ?, i still cant see it. The standard GT-R is just fantastic, and i find myself still amazed, at just how fast the car is standard. So, what it must be like with just a remap, must be amazing. I only use my GT-R occasionally, so not every day, and its certainly not difficult to live with in these conditions. I would suggest spending half a day in one, if your not 100% sure, and not just a 20 minute test drive. Also, i think between Middlehursts, and Rod at RB Motorsport, you are in great shape locally, for servicing, upgrading and advice, you cant go wrong. Regards, SIMON.
Just found RB online! They are 10 Minutes away and ive actually been onto that Business park a couple of times. Had a nose round an RX7 they had outside.

To say im chuffed about this is an Understatement... Its time to join the GTR Fold

The TT seems to be getting smaller and more hairdresser every time i look at it now... ha..

Where you on the TT forums at all Si? Know there are a good few modded RS`s on there, and some very unrealistic folk.. Tosh was always knowledgeable, and a great wind up merchant..

Cheers for the pointers folks... Now to go get me a car!
Old 13th January 2012, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Just great, now i've sold my GT-R they've started to get popular around West Lancs (must be a sign).

Another thumbs up for RB, they did a few jobs on my MY10 GT-R last year.
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
rob wild is In a R33 GTR
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8pmc View Post
Just great, now i've sold my GT-R they've started to get popular around West Lancs (must be a sign).

Buy another one

Be good to have regular NW meet Can't wait to get mine!
Old 13th January 2012, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTR Bro is Back in love with the GTR!!! Big thumbs up to Middlehurst :-)

NW meet could be a winner. I'd likely drop in to say hello.
Old 13th January 2012, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8pmc View Post

Paul,
You know in the back of your mind, that the A8s days are numbered, dont you ?. Its time to get back into something special, and proper , regards, SIMON.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
I thought Paul bought a flabby BMW 7 series?

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
lawsy is enjoying his 2nd GTR
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Im in NW too,

Business in warrington and home in Liverpool
Old 13th January 2012, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Anyone fancy Oulton Park then over the next few months?

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 13th January 2012, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone fancy Oulton Park then over the next few months?
I am @ donny with Circuit days on 26th feb, if you guys fancy that, although Oulton I could be persuaded.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Just thought OP was close for us NW guys.

See if anyone else chimes in.

Also thought about a dyno day on the Wirral sometime soon.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 13th January 2012, 09:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Just thought OP was close for us NW guys.

See if anyone else chimes in.

Also thought about a dyno day on the Wirral sometime soon.
I have a membership with Circuit days and not many @ oulton on the list this year unfortunately. Donny is a nice drive though, and its a sunday too.

I'm not to far from Formby, only up the rd. 15 mins away.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsy View Post
I have a membership with Circuit days and not many @ oulton on the list this year unfortunately. Donny is a nice drive though, and its a sunday too.

I'm not to far from Formby, only up the rd. 15 mins away.
Now then...

I've seen a UMS and DMG GTR in Crosby/Blundellsands, and a Black GTR driving down Moor Lane in Crosby too.

Any one of those you buddy?

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller