Exhaust: Y-pipe Q & Youtube sound videos - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th January 2012, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
nikodemus is 29, English, in Dubai, Skyline GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Exhaust: Y-pipe Q & Youtube sound videos

Hi all,

Im very new to the forum and anything above my 210bhp Civic type-r which has been my pride and joy for the last 3 years.

I plan to buy a GTR next month and I want to change the exhaust and rear spoiler, thats about it...I hope :s

Anyhow, what Ive found is that this forum and members are very enthusiastic about the GTC Titan so I was looking at videos.

What Im after is something that gives a very raw raspy sound, with pops and bangs if possible.

I dont want a smooth sounding quiet sound like a mercedes or bentley for example. Any recommendations?

Also, some youtube videos of the same exhausts eg 2 x HKS or 2 GTC exhausts will sound very different to each other even though its the same thing. OK i understand maybe some other mods, but then how can you say what an exhaust sounds like? It makes it hard to pre-empt what my exhaust note will sound like

How do you know how much of the sound is down to the exhaust, the sound recording for youtube, other mods etc? Its very confusing
Old 14th January 2012, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
DWC
DWC is Is back in the game with a MY15. Get in !
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR/RS4/M3/Leon Fr 550/Mercedes ML 350
You would need to hear it in person to be honest. Them you tube vids dont do it any justice. Just a y pipe will do what u want sound wise.

Oh and there's no way you will stop at just the exhaust and a spoiler. Its addictive. when your offered 80 bhp more with a simple remap......... and the list goes on. Get saving. Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Last edited by DWC; 14th January 2012 at 09:34 PM..
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
+1....it's a slippery slope!

Last edited by Stevie76; 14th January 2012 at 11:10 PM..
Stevie76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th January 2012, 02:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
robsm is red
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

A Y-Pipe wont satisfy you in the slightest. Y-pipe only makes a marginal difference. You need to remove all the cats.

Get GTC Downpipes, Y-pipe and Cat-back, speak to Ben.

You then need to get GTC Intake, COBB remap, and probably injectors.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

You know what, Ive modified a lot of cars over the last 12years but when I first decided to get a GTR, the expense to buy and how awesome it was meant I had no plans whatsoever to modify.

Now here I am thinking about a spoiler, a remap, a y-pipe, exhaust and 4 rear light conversion...grrr! I need more salary just to keep up and I havent even bought it yet :s

So Im hearing mixed things about the y-pipe.

1) Sound wise will it be louder and raspier?

2) If it does everything Im looking for does that mean people get these GTC's mainly for the horsepower increase and not about the sound?

3) What are these down pipes, y-pipe and cat back?
Are there 2 cats on the GTR or just 1? Im used to a cat back being the full exhaust system after the cat to the tips. Is the y-pipe part of the manifold, or does downpipes mean the same thing as manifold?

Although many GTR's in Dubai, its not like UK where so many people have easy access to buy the same good exhaust. I could potentially hear 20 different exhausts here on 20 GTR's and finding the actual seller of the one i want will be very hard :s
Old 15th January 2012, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I dont want to touch the injectors as modifying the external bits is one thing but once you start playing with injectors then god knows what else you will end up modifying in there and also i just feel those are the kind of mods that can go wrong and affect the resale value and likelihood of the car going wrong somehow
Old 16th April 2012, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
meerkat8701 is nearly on the wrong side of 30

I think everyone says theyre gna keep their gtr stock in the beginning... then you find out why the RB in rb26 stands for 'running me broke' hehe =p i put some generic stainless steel exhaust on mine and i am quite dissatisfied with the sound. its just boring....
Old 17th April 2012, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
petersafc is Back to the gtr.

Cars owned: Gtr, 996 turbo, e92 M3
I have the down pipe back titan system. Well worth the cash. Best one i have heard so far. Sure some one will be near to u who will show u what it sounds like.