Nissan GT-R engine assembly plant visit - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th January 2012, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fuggles is at Nissan GT-R London
Registered

Cars owned: none
Nissan GT-R engine assembly plant visit

Some of you may be aware that two years ago the GTROC arranged a tour of the GT-R assembly plant in Tochigi. The full write up is on the GTROC website. All of the pictures from that trip will be uploaded later this month to our Flickr page (which you can also access through the website).

Today the twelve GTROC Tourists from Europe plus half a dozen local members are off the see the VR38 engine production and assembly plant in Yokohama. As with the Tochigi visit which was a full VIP tour including presentation from the VP of production, this too will be a full VIP guided tour. Last time we got to do laps with test drivers but I don't see that happening this time somehow

The full write up, along with our meeting with some very senior Nissan Executives - one of whm we believe is about to be made head of Nismo - will all be posted in the blog section of the new GTROC website. Scroll down to the lower section of the page to see what we have been up to so far: Tokyo Auto Salon, Fuji Speedway with the R35 GTR Club of Japan etc. More blogs every day we are here. Or follow us on Twitter @GTROC
Old 16th January 2012, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eric Laybourne is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I look forward to your report - I wish I could go - I've been to the Nissan plant at Sunderland a few times on formal visits and it is fascinating albeit not in the bespoke hand crafted league of the GTR engine plant , lean manufacturing and all . I'm jealous...
Old 16th January 2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered

A write up of the day will be on the blog on GTROC ? The GTR Owners Club later today (Japan time). It's 6:40am here and we did not finish last night until gone 2am. But that's not the best/worst night so far A full and detailed report on the engine plant will be written later. Least to say it was a full VIP tour with the head of the plant introducing the day and then four tour guides plus translators. As well as a tour of the plant we also got to wathc them make engines and they even let us into the clean room where the engines are made!!! The really cool thing that happened after that was going to the final test facility where they engine dyno the cars before signing them off. According to Nissan we were the first ever guests from outside Nissan to be invited into this facility!

The whole thing was AMAZING!

Old 16th January 2012, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuggles View Post
A write up of the day will be on the blog on GTROC ? The GTR Owners Club later today (Japan time). It's 6:40am here and we did not finish last night until gone 2am. But that's not the best/worst night so far A full and detailed report on the engine plant will be written later. Least to say it was a full VIP tour with the head of the plant introducing the day and then four tour guides plus translators. As well as a tour of the plant we also got to wathc them make engines and they even let us into the clean room where the engines are made!!! The really cool thing that happened after that was going to the final test facility where they engine dyno the cars before signing them off. According to Nissan we were the first ever guests from outside Nissan to be invited into this facility!

The whole thing was AMAZING!
Did they confirm that the claimed power outputs were accurate with the actual measured engine dyno figures?
Old 17th January 2012, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered

ermm, yes the power the engines produce is backed up by the figures
Old 18th January 2012, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered

Photos of the day will be posted as soon as we get back from Japan
Old 18th January 2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
Did they confirm that the claimed power outputs were accurate with the actual measured engine dyno figures?
Hey David - we were asked not to disclose anything we saw in the engine/clean room environments out of respect and commercial confidentiality but suffice to say that you can sleep easy knowing the dyno runs confirm the power output quoted in Nissan's brochure on every engine we saw.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG350Z View Post
Hey David - we were asked not to disclose anything we saw in the engine/clean room environments out of respect and commercial confidentiality but suffice to say that you can sleep easy knowing the dyno runs confirm the power output quoted in Nissan's brochure on every engine we saw.
Well that along with Iain Litchfield/Enshui's translation of the photos someone took of the dyno screen during a previous visit is a great revelation.
It proves that most of our rolling road estimates here are out by a fair bit, e.g. RichGT's completely standard 2009 recording 506hp at the same time mine recorded 512hp with a Y-pipe.

I don't want to start the hoary old transmission loss/rolling road debate again here, but just for the record, mine recorded 407whp (wheel hp) at the time 512bhp was estimated, so if it was really 485hp, transmission loss (for a Dyno Dynamics rolling road at least) is closer to 16% rather than the 20% DD assume and the frankly always unbelievable 10% Nissan claimed.

Interesting stuff!