Owner with Y pipe in north Kent or south east London? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th January 2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Millwallmart is lovin' it!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 59 plate White 'Black Edition' GTR, AC Schnitzer BMW X6 40d, White Overfinch Disco 4, 997 techart Turbo cab, smart cab & R1
Owner with Y pipe in north Kent or south east London?

As above, do any of you have a Y pipe fitted to a standard 'unmapped' car in, or around, north Kent or south east London that wouldn't mind meeting up to let me have a listen please?

Thanks,

Martin
Old 20th January 2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
WSMGTR is unaware they can edit their status

Assuming you are getting a Milltek Y Pipe theres a very good video by Milltek on youtube showing a before and after y-pipe sound clip of a black GTR. its about 51 secs long

Also the below

Litchfield - Performance Car Excellence
Old 20th January 2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cars owned: 59 plate White 'Black Edition' GTR, AC Schnitzer BMW X6 40d, White Overfinch Disco 4, 997 techart Turbo cab, smart cab & R1
Hello mate,

I think it sounds fantastic from the exterior of the car bt I'm concerned as to how intrusive the noise in the cabin is. Don't fancy shouting conversations with passengers...

Old 20th January 2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
WSMGTR is unaware they can edit their status

I am also looking at one of these y pipes and have been considering it for a while.
I understand there 2 types.

Resonated- quieter and less drone and and non-resonated which is louder and has more of a drone.

Havent heard them side by side to compare though but from what I have read on this forum some guys have gone non-resonated to find it was too loud then changed it back to resonated........I think it was CT17.......he may be able comment.
Old 20th January 2012, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks WSM,

Would defo want to hear it before I buy and fit
Old 20th January 2012, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
bluediamond is Currently GTR-less , back to the fold soon
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR, 09, ultimate silver, litchfield stage 3,
Seriously, Get the pipe asap
A resonated pipe is a real no-brainer. Makes the car sound sooooo much better its chalk and cheese and its perfectly reasonable at lower speeds.No shouting required!!
Miltek is great but GTC and others just as worthwhile.
Warranty friendly too.
Old 20th January 2012, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
DWC
DWC is Is back in the game with a MY15. Get in !
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR/RS4/M3/Leon Fr 550/Mercedes ML 350
Iv got the resonated y pipe here in Oxford if anyone wants to listen to it. Sounds awesome not too loud.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone in north Kent or south east London
Old 25th January 2012, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMGTR View Post
Havent heard them side by side to compare though but from what I have read on this forum some guys have gone non-resonated to find it was too loud then changed it back to resonated........I think it was CT17.......he may be able comment.
Yes, my car came with a non-res Y pipe and it was loud. But worst of all it drove me nuts between 65mph and 75mph. Bang on cruising speed, so it had to go.

Like many things I liked it first, sounded great. Then the noise wore me down after a few weeks.

So I had the full Milltek pipe fitted and now it's much better. A little quieter and no drone.
Better than standard and safe for track days too.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chris1049 is unaware they can edit their status

Well I've owned my car now for about 2 weeks, it has the pipe fitted and I got the original one with the car too so I can swap back.

I find it slightly drony (is that a word?) if I'm honest. It's bearable but it's a little noisy. Sounds great at the back, the original is very quiet so there is quite a difference.

I think I'll live with it, it's not too bad but its definitely louder inside. I think it depends on what you want, if you like the exhaust note and feel it's quiet in standard form then this will do the job. If you need piece and quiet in your life then stick with stock.

I've only done a couple of hundred miles in mine so far as I don't tend to use cars much but Im pretty sure I'll leave it on.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
OldBob is trying to sell the pork
Registered

Cars owned: Currently:911.2 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayman R, Mk7Golf R, Seat Ibiza FR
I had a full Milltek inc non resonated Y pipe fitted. Whilst sounding good exterior I found there to be a strong drone (IMO) internally, only really from around 2K to 3K revs under engine load. Unfortunately equating to 65-75ish mph in top, so it became a pain for me at "other driver induced" motorway speeds. So that I mostly changed down, or tried to speed up to get out of the range when I wanted to talk to people/cruise quietly.
I had it changed for a resonated section and found this is MUCH better. Still a bit of drone at these revs, but it's really improved enough to not be an issue for me, but has the downside that I can now hear the other half with no problem at all..
Old 25th January 2012, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
HSimon is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
Yes, my car came with a non-res Y pipe and it was loud. But worst of all it drove me nuts between 65mph and 75mph. Bang on cruising speed, so it had to go.

Like many things I liked it first, sounded great. Then the noise wore me down after a few weeks.

So I had the full Milltek pipe fitted and now it's much better. A little quieter and no drone.
Better than standard and safe for track days too.
CT,
So, did you keep the non res Y pipe on, and fit the rest of the Milltek system, or replace the Y pipe for a resonated item, and also fit the rest of the system ?, regards, SIMON.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSimon View Post
CT,
So, did you keep the non res Y pipe on, and fit the rest of the Milltek system, or replace the Y pipe for a resonated item, and also fit the rest of the system ?, regards, SIMON.
No idea, because I got it done at Litchfields and didn't ask...

All I know is it's better than standard, but no drone.