First track day in the GTR today... - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st January 2012, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Millwallmart is lovin' it!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 59 plate White 'Black Edition' GTR, AC Schnitzer BMW X6 40d, White Overfinch Disco 4, 997 techart Turbo cab, smart cab & R1
Thumbs up First track day in the GTR today...

After picking up my new car Thursday and having two short days to become acquainted with it me and two friends arrived at Brands Hatch at 7.30am this morning.

After a quick briefing meeting, mandatory bacon roll, and some siteing laps I was out on track getting to grips with the true feel and character of the GTR.

Within two laps all of my anxiety and anticipation had dissolved into pure excitement and unadulterated adrenalin.

What an absolute weapon of a vehicle.

I've probably had the privilege of doing 30 to 40 track days over the last ten years or so. I've also been lucky enough to own some pretty special cars including a 300bhp Supercharged Ariel Atom and a 680bhp Techart 997. The GTR is different gravy to anything I've owned or driven.

It was wet until mid afternoon and Clearways (a long sweeping right hander) was particularly greasy but the way the GTR dealt with it seemingly defied physics!, each lap was laughingly quicker than the last.

Now let me be very clear, I have a very healthy fear of crashing, I love my my car, do not abuse my car , i do not want to damage my car and I am not a lunatic. I want you to re-read that last sentence again please because I 'did not get overtaken once all day'. Now i obviuosly played my part but I would be foolish to try and take the accolades for that. The car...it just...I don't have the words, it blew me away.

I did not get overtaken once all day. Fantastic! Lol!

Trust me, ive been on both sides of the fence, the purist in me says how rewarding driving the Atom was, what with it's lack of driver aids, knowing that it was all me. Really? Who gives a sh*t, it was Cold, wet, anti social, impractical and weather dependant. What the GSR is give me all same emotions bundled in a lifestyle friendly package.

The GTR delivers so many positives it is impossible for me not to be absolutely 100% bang in love with it. The looks, street cred, performance, gearbox, Bose, gadgetry, 20" rims, exhaust note, comfort, hard drive - the whole package!!

Poor mans Porsche? The smart mans whip

Nissan, I salute you.

I should have bought a GTR four cars ago.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
lawsy is enjoying his 2nd GTR
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Unfortunately I didnt track my last GTR, but this one I 100% will.
Donny on the 26th feb for me.

Sounds like you had a scream, I hope I feel like you do now after donny.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cars owned: 59 plate White 'Black Edition' GTR, AC Schnitzer BMW X6 40d, White Overfinch Disco 4, 997 techart Turbo cab, smart cab & R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsy View Post
Unfortunately I didnt track my last GTR, but this one I 100% will.
Donny on the 26th feb for me.

Sounds like you had a scream, I hope I feel like you do now after donny.
Lawsy,

Rest easy and count the days buddy

Mart

Old 21st January 2012, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwallmart View Post
Lawsy,

Rest easy and count the days buddy

Mart
I know its going to blow me away. I had a wee blast today and stretched her legs.

Donny in standard guise, then stage 2 for the ring/spa trip in may
Old 21st January 2012, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I know its going to blow me away. I had a wee blast today and stretched her legs.

Donny in standard guise, then stage 2 for the ring/spa trip in may
What spec do you have?
Old 21st January 2012, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
MarcR35GTR is Loving Stage 4.5 725hp , 0-100 5.9 , 1/4 mile 10.6 @137mph
GTROC Member

Cars owned: 2010 GTR R35 Black Edition,1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Clubsport, 1989 Porsche Speedster, 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
Thumbs up

Quote:
After picking up my new car Thursday and having two short days to become acquainted with it me and two friends arrived at Brands Hatch at 7.30am this morning.

After a quick briefing meeting, mandatory bacon roll, and some siteing laps I was out on track getting to grips with the true feel and character of the GTR.

Within two laps all of my anxiety and anticipation had dissolved into pure excitement and unadulterated adrenalin.

What an absolute weapon of a vehicle.

I've probably had the privilege of doing 30 to 40 track days over the last ten years or so. I've also been lucky enough to own some pretty special cars including a 300bhp Supercharged Ariel Atom and a 680bhp Techart 997. The GTR is different gravy to anything I've owned or driven.

It was wet until mid afternoon and Clearways (a long sweeping right hander) was particularly greasy but the way the GTR dealt with it seemingly defied physics!, each lap was laughingly quicker than the last.

Now let me be very clear, I have a very healthy fear of crashing, I love my my car, do not abuse my car , i do not want to damage my car and I am not a lunatic. I want you to re-read that last sentence again please because I 'did not get overtaken once all day'. Now i obviuosly played my part but I would be foolish to try and take the accolades for that. The car...it just...I don't have the words, it blew me away.

I did not get overtaken once all day. Fantastic! Lol!

Trust me, ive been on both sides of the fence, the purist in me says how rewarding driving the Atom was, what with it's lack of driver aids, knowing that it was all me. Really? Who gives a sh*t, it was Cold, wet, anti social, impractical and weather dependant. What the GSR is give me all same emotions bundled in a lifestyle friendly package.

The GTR delivers so many positives it is impossible for me not to be absolutely 100% bang in love with it. The looks, street cred, performance, gearbox, Bose, gadgetry, 20" rims, exhaust note, comfort, hard drive - the whole package!!

Poor mans Porsche? The smart mans whip

Nissan, I salute you.

I should have bought a GTR four cars ago.
Did my first track day in the GTR at brands in December, and totally agree with you it it awesome, I also have Porsche turbo, and am selling it because I always prefer driving the GTR, best car I have had by miles.
2010 R35 DMG Black Edition, Litchfield Stage 4.5, Milltek 90mm Race exhaust, Circlips , Alcon 380s with Cosworths,Litchfield suspension, Transmission cooler, Front and Rear Camera, DRLs and 2011 Wheels.
MarcR35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcR35GTR View Post
Did my first track day in the GTR at brands in December, and totally agree with you it it awesome, I also have Porsche turbo, and am selling it because I always prefer driving the GTR, best car I have had by miles.
I here that mate, It seems like a mad, spoilt brat thing to say but I don't miss my turbo AT ALL.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
DWC
DWC is Is back in the game with a MY15. Get in !
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR/RS4/M3/Leon Fr 550/Mercedes ML 350
I would love to track mine but so worried about crashing it. Also dont they eat brakes/tyres on the track. How did the brakes hold up. Mine done 20k still on originals. They seem to struggle now a bit. Do u need track insurance and helmet.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
I would love to track mine but so worried about crashing it. Also dont they eat brakes/tyres on the track. How did the brakes hold up. Mine done 20k still on originals. They seem to struggle now a bit. Do u need track insurance and helmet.
Brakes were sweet and tyres are fine, it was damp and cold though so prob not as labouring onthe tyres as if it were hot and dry
Old 21st January 2012, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
What spec do you have?
Im going for exhaust, drop in filters, and remap- 585 ish bhp.

But its standard atm and is staying standard for Donny, but will be getting the above done in April time.

I usually just rush in as soon as I buy a car and mod like crazy, but im running standard for a while so I can set a benchmark on track to fully appreciate the mods.

Thats the theory anyhow.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
lawsy, I'm doing the 26th too see you there
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrew View Post
lawsy, I'm doing the 26th too see you there
First time in GTR? or are you a seasoned GTR veteran

If the latter Ill tag onto you for a few laps.

Mines red with reg * 14WSY. Come say hello.

It will be good to have another GTR on track.
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
Quote:
First time in GTR? or are you a seasoned GTR veteran

If the latter Ill tag onto you for a few laps.

Mines red with reg * 14WSY. Come say hello.

It will be good to have another GTR on track.
first for me to, I read this post and saw you were doing it so my good lady paid for the day, we only live ten minutes away where are you coming from?
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrew View Post
first for me to, I read this post and saw you were doing it so my good lady paid for the day, we only live ten minutes away where are you coming from?
Liverpool.

If you get there early save me a garage or ill share one with you

Its not a bad run, couple of hours. Tuther end of A50 for us off the M6, nice little spirited drive.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yep see you there, I've booked a garage so hopefully should all be sorted look out for the black one with nismo wheels.