Opinions on HKS and K&N drop in filters? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th January 2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
nikodemus is 29, English, in Dubai, Skyline GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Opinions on HKS and K&N drop in filters?

I am considering getting some K&N or HKS drop in filters for the R35 with the main aim being to improve the exhaust sound.

I plan to combine it with an aftermarket y-pipe and not really modify it any more than that in terms of intake/exhaust system.

I wondered if I will notice an instant improvement in sound ie mainly louder with but potentially more raw with HKS or K&N drop in filters.
Wondering also, which one of the two would sound better, and if there are any gains in BHP to be had from them?
I had a look on the K&N website here http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2413
and here: http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1667

but cant find the answer on there

cheers
Old 25th January 2012, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
ANDYR35 is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Didn't notice any difference when I dropped my K+N ones in a couple of years back.
For more noise etc that you are after you would be better off going the cone filter and intake pipes route but then you would be wise to get it remapped too.

As for what is better HKS or K+N??......Depends how much you want to say you have HKS filters as opposed to K+N. Difference between them is negligable IMHO.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Radical1 is unaware they can edit their status

Changing the filter elements won't make any difference to the exhaust note. They don't even give you any more induction noise. I have the k&n drop ins and miltek y-pipe and I think the car sounds awesome with just the y-pipe. You can spend thousands on full systems but in my view the y-pipe is loud enough, you really hear the v6 rumble and you would be amazed what it sounds like from the outside. I have a video of mine, pm me your email address if you want to hear it.

Old 26th January 2012, 06:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYR35 View Post
Didn't notice any difference when I dropped my K+N ones in a couple of years back.
For more noise etc that you are after you would be better off going the cone filter and intake pipes route but then you would be wise to get it remapped too.

As for what is better HKS or K+N??......Depends how much you want to say you have HKS filters as opposed to K+N. Difference between them is negligable IMHO.
Are you saying I would need a remap because with the cone filters and intake pipes there would be greater airflow, thus making it run leaner?
If so, ive actually heard that from the factory these type of cars in general are made to run a little bit rich, so improving the airflow actually gets to the ideal mixture balance.

Not sure whether thats BS or not, but an interesting point.

@ Radical - thanks, pm sent
Old 26th January 2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
tomgtr is Is tired of the W word!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR R35 UMS premium + Ford Smax 2.5T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemus View Post
Are you saying I would need a remap because with the cone filters and intake pipes there would be greater airflow, thus making it run leaner?
If so, ive actually heard that from the factory these type of cars in general are made to run a little bit rich, so improving the airflow actually gets to the ideal mixture balance.

Not sure whether thats BS or not, but an interesting point.

@ Radical - thanks, pm sent
What is the point of changing intakes but not remapping? It wont do anything and whether car will run leaner or too lean is bit of a crapshoot. I presume you want to improve something by changing intakes. Sound won't be changing to an extend it is worth the money or effort. So if it is performance you are after Cobb or Ecutek is the way to go. Just changing the intakes is a waste of money imho.
Old 27th January 2012, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Changing the intakes will affect the sound of the exhaust note, the tone and the volume. Thats the purpose, and thats what Im looking for as I mentioned.

It is not performance that I am looking for from this. The GTR performance is fine. In the past when Ive changed intakes on several cars Ive noticed performance improvements, and improvements in the sound and tone of the cars

With the y-pipe changed the sound will be louder and tone may change a bit but inmho the tone will change the most with alterations in the intake.
Old 27th January 2012, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
You will need a remap if you install 80mm intakes as the MAF housing cross sectional area is larger and the MAF will not be giving an accurate reading hence your car runs lean. There are some induction kits out there that have MAF housings the offering same CSA as oem air box set-up but it is still advisable to at least do some logs to ensure everything is running fine.

On replacing the panel filters IMHO it's a waste of time and does little more then reduce the efficiency of your filtering for what is negligible gain, cotton or foam filters will not offer the same filtration as paper filters ( despite what manufacturers claim), if you are willing to forego some filtration IMHO your best to ensure your getting the maximum benefits powerwise to balance the pros v cons, hence why I have opted for the GTC 80mm intakes and also fitted a pair of outerwares for a little added protection.

Last edited by bobel; 27th January 2012 at 10:10 AM..
bobel is offline   Reply With Quote