At what point do I need to get the bell housing fixed? - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th January 2012, 09:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
GLOXN is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Got mine going to Middlehurst tomorrow for 30 month service and suspected bell housing rattle. Is there a shortage of parts? How can you tell if you get the upgraded part or not? Do they give you any paperwork for the "recall" work?
Old 30th January 2012, 12:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
HSimon is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOXN View Post
Got mine going to Middlehurst tomorrow for 30 month service and suspected bell housing rattle. Is there a shortage of parts? How can you tell if you get the upgraded part or not? Do they give you any paperwork for the "recall" work?
I didnt get any paperwork with mine last week, but was told, that it had received the new bellhousing.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
lewis-s is loving syvecs!

im sure my bell housing is on the way out, but im not sure if the noises im hearing are just the normal rattles/clanks that the transmission makes. ive had the car down to my local nissan dealer and they insist that its fine. should i push this further or am i just bein paranoid??

Old 30th January 2012, 02:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
GRowsell is Gavin in the real world...
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Stage Fright R35, 440hp R34 GTT (which you should buy), Various big tractors, lots of junk vehicles,
Mine is back now... With the 'new design' bell housing... but I've already been on the phone to Middlehurst because it still rattles!

Not as bad maybe, but I wasn't expecting to hear any rattle.

Middlehurst say that the 2012 bell housing, which mine now has, is noisy even on the new 2012 cars they are having delivered in.

I was asked if i wanted to send it back, but was warned that because my car has been boosted, Nissan's policy is to only cover one bell-housing under warranty. Ironically, he told me not to use the 'new map' (Litchfield's map) until I decided on the way forward???

Middlehurst is currently quoting circa £800 for the bell-housing and £200 for ancilaries (plus probably some even more frightening price for labour)... So it certainly want's doing under warranty, even if it still isn't perfect!

UK's most powerful R34 GTT 4 door Tiptronic for sale on Skyline Owners Club
GRowsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 02:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
fozi.g is back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRowsell View Post
Mine is back now... With the 'new design' bell housing... but I've already been on the phone to Middlehurst because it still rattles!

Not as bad maybe, but I wasn't expecting to hear any rattle.

Middlehurst say that the 2012 bell housing, which mine now has, is noisy even on the new 2012 cars they are having delivered in.

I was asked if i wanted to send it back, but was warned that because my car has been boosted, Nissan's policy is to only cover one bell-housing under warranty. Ironically, he told me not to use the 'new map' (Litchfield's map) until I decided on the way forward???

Middlehurst is currently quoting circa £800 for the bell-housing and £200 for ancilaries (plus probably some even more frightening price for labour)... So it certainly want's doing under warranty, even if it still isn't perfect!

mate are you serious?? sorry to hear that. i thought the noise would of dramatically dropped. there are guys on here that have said that after the b/h change they don't hear any rattle at all which is what i would expect.

And im really surprised that they said they would only do one b/h change when there have been others that have had the swap only to find there replacement was just as nosiy as their first (like yours i suppose) and have then got that one replaced too. what would be an idea is if Middlehursts could let you listen to a 2012 car so you could compare. all together it doesn't sound right though.

i'm literally in the process of getting mine done and i dont want to have the same issue.
Old 30th January 2012, 06:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
HSimon is unaware they can edit their status

Just to add a little more fellas, i moved my car out of the garage yesterday briefly, and on warm up, i could hear a very slight rattle/murmour again, but i think this is more the standard tranny noises. I havent had a good drive since getting the GT-R back yet. But, it is certainly dramatically quieter than it was before, at this moment in time anyway. Im praying it stays that way as well. Did anyone here have their bellhousing fixed by Carplanet, before their troubles, because didnt they press an uprated bearing, or such like into the existing housing, and if so, is the fix still working/quiet ?, regards, SIMON.
Old 31st January 2012, 05:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
gtrsam is 1337

Cars owned: Super fast cars :-)
I think you should take a minute and follow this link its seems there is an explanation and a fix for this problem .....
Reason for Bellhousing TSB - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club
It also explains why it doesn't help to change to the new bellhousing in many cases .
Took me a few seconds to find this through google :-).
enjoy

In hoc signo vinces
gtrsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
nikodemus is 29, English, in Dubai, Skyline GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam View Post
I think you should take a minute and follow this link its seems there is an explanation and a fix for this problem .....
Reason for Bellhousing TSB - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club
It also explains why it doesn't help to change to the new bellhousing in many cases .
Took me a few seconds to find this through google :-).
enjoy
Well this seems like a much more cost effective way of getting the issue fixed and means the issue is not so serious, right?
Old 1st February 2012, 12:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
Doesn't really help changing the bellhousing again. JDM ones have the circlip as Jurgen says. others don't have. Why did they design different bellhousings!

Past: R33 GTR sgl turbo
enshiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 05:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
ChuckUK is a proffesional loafer

Cars owned: MK3 VR6, Evo 6, Type-R, R32, GSI, VX220T, RRS-SC, RS4, GTR :)
Must be someone over here that can produce some shims like those ? seems a great solution.
Old 1st February 2012, 06:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
willall does them and maybe bulk shipping?

http://www.willallracing.com.au/tran...on.htm#wr35tsb

Old 2nd February 2012, 02:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
GLOXN is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Got my GT-R back from 30 month service at Middlehurst. They said that it doesn't have the Bell Housing Rattle, but, even if it had had, there are no parts available at present so would have given car back to me anyway.
Having read last few posts here I am glad that my Bell Housing not been changed, however I can hear a rattling noise from under car on tickover when hot, but it must be "normal". It is only noticeable when drivers door is open in the garage.
Anyone know if there are discussions back at Nissan about this recall and a proper fix?
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered

Well the proper fix would be the circlip on the bellhousing they have put on the JDM cars. This would stop the shaft moving which causes the rattle.

Old 2nd February 2012, 09:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

Cars owned: Stage Fright R35, 440hp R34 GTT (which you should buy), Various big tractors, lots of junk vehicles,
Quote:
Originally Posted by enshiu View Post
Well the proper fix would be the circlip on the bellhousing they have put on the JDM cars. This would stop the shaft moving which causes the rattle.
Do you mean a circlip or the shim that the NAGTROC guys are using?

What worries me about the shimming, is that I would think that Nissan had left that tolerance to allow for expansion of the [carbon fibre?] shaft.

I have been told (as most rumours start) that it's not the longitudinal movement that is the real issue, which is what the shims would treat... but it's when the shaft starts to wobble and wear the bell-housing itself, which is when you hear the grinding noises.

It does seem very odd that Nissan have taken 3 years of fairly expensive warranty claims (circa £3k a time) to develop a new bell-housing that would appear to rattle right from the outset

Old 2nd February 2012, 09:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered

Jurgen has one bellhousing with the circlip and the shim would also help the rattle.

I am not sure where the bellhousings are made. The accelerator is ''made in China'' so maybe also the TSB?

Old 2nd February 2012, 10:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Jm-Imports is sitting on 1293 @ the hubs

JDM and EDM is different..

the JDM R35 bellhousings have a circlip on the end of the shaft so it does not move, the edm cars have no circlip and the shaft moves..

The early JDM bellhousings were all recalled i belive by JAPAN dealers and corrected and then after all JDM cars from a certain year and month came like that from factory.

we have a UK 2010 bellhousing here thats 2 years newer than my JDM and has no circlip.

so no idea why the UK one was not rectified at factory,.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered

Jurgen photo please to show the difference.

I think all Housings are affected.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...6756/note.aspx

Especially 12.07-02.08 ones also.

Last edited by enshiu; 2nd February 2012 at 11:38 PM..
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm-Imports View Post
...a UK 2010 bellhousing here thats 2 years newer than my JDM and has no circlip.

so no idea why the UK one was not rectified at factory,.
That's what I can't get my head round... there must be a reason why Nissan are sending Japanese cars out different to European cars. Is it our temperature variations (or rougher roads) that require more tolerance on the shaft?

Old 2nd February 2012, 11:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered

I think it's the rougher road in the UK. Japanese roads are smooth in comparison. Or many people complained in Japan for this.

Old 14th February 2012, 05:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
fozi.g is back!!

Just a quick update. I got my car back today after getting a new bellhousing fitted. I'm amazed at what a difference it makes. I only now realised how noisy my car was before I got it done!!

Once again Ancasters have come up trumps. Got the job done in a day which i thought was a pretty quick turnaround and sorted out a few other niggles i had with the car. Nice one