Thailand Newbie & vastly overpriced GTR's - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th February 2012, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alexinphuket is No longer in the TOTB team
GT-RDC Member

Thailand Newbie & vastly overpriced GTR's

New to the club, love the GTR, was so tempeted to buy a 34 NUR a few years back but ended up in a 9GT.....anyway, been doing a lot of research on the web, hope to get a GTR in the near future.

I am living in Phuket and were stuck here with stupidly high import taxes mainly due to Thailand promoting their own car market, so foreign non thai manufactured cars are frowned upon. However, this doesnt stop dealers selling imported Gallardo's for 300 k though. A new GTR is definitely not on the cards The most keenly priced new UK spec car i have seen delivery miles is 140k GBP.

So, its going to have to be a second hand JDM i guess.

I have done a bit of research into cobb/ecutek tuning, replacing y pipes and decatting turbo elbows, all the parts seem to be pretty generic no matter where the car is sourced. I do however have a few questions though which i hope u can shed some light on.

I have found 2 gtr's in my locality with very different specs.

1st one is a 2010 GTR with a claimed 700hp. The car is in silver with 6000 on the clock, titanium exhaust and only other mods i can see is a greddy boost controller unit, i am guessing its probably part of a greddy E-manage unit, but from what i have read, cobb tune or ecutek is the way to go. Unsure as to how easy an emanage which may have been hardwired into the loom would be to remove, could lead to problems. Other thatn that, i cant see any obvious mods. So i'm a little unsure what else has been done. Strangest part is that under the hood on the landing panel, it has a signature which reads "s Koyama" and the date 3/4/10. Now, after doing a bit of digging, S Koyama has some kind of affiliation with JUN motorsport ( isn't he in Hong Kong now?) other details are very sketchy at this moment. Does anyone have a contact at jun who i may be able to get in touch with and quote the chassis number for a list of modifications so i can at least get an idea if it is a blag or not? Biggest shock is the price 5.9 million baht - 120000GBP

The 2nd car, is a 2008 GTR with a claimed 600hp. It has 20000KM on the clock. In white it has had a fortune spent on it with aftermarket Mines carbon parts, skirts, spoiler, front bumper. 3 piece LM rims in Gold. Full system has been changed to titanium, it has dual BOV and a tune. Its been lowered which i.m.o. is no good for Phuket, the road springs will be need to go back on as i dont fancy doing a see saw with a 100000 gbp motor. It has also had money spent on the gearbox. All standard parts for the car are included.The car is priced at 110000 GBP. Again, service details are a bit sketchy at this time.

There are 2 things concern me here. Support for GTR's in Thailand is not great, basic servicing etc is fine, fluids & pads can be done easily enough, as can mapping (COBB via internet :-) ) The biggest worry that i have is that if i end up buying a lemon, repair costs and knowledge in Thailand for a GTR would be almost non existent. I have read some scare stories about failing gearboxes and something called circlip replacement (can someone please explain?) and as the white car is an early model even at 10000gbp cheaper i am still unsure if it would be a wiser buy or not. Are 2008 JDM GTR's worth looking at or not?

Also, both cars have Jap MFD's can these be concerted to UK spec? My thai is.......getting better, but reading Japanese is definitely out of the question.

Any advice gentlemen?

Best Wishes

Alex
Old 8th February 2012, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
Hi Alex,

your very lucky to live on the beautiful island of Phuket. The second car you mention sounds exactly like the GT-R i've been in & mapped 2 years ago. its one of my favour 35's anywhere very classy mods and as you say had a fortune spent on it. I can recommend places who can look after for you

I would stay away from the too heavily modified GT-R with e-manage

The MFD can not be converted easily on the JDM's and if your'e worried you'd be better off with a stock Euro spec
Old 9th February 2012, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks Ben, phuket's a great to live and great place to work. Can I ask, how did u come by the car? Where did u tune it? What tuning method? Aid u can recommend someone local, that would be great.

Thanks

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Linney GTC View Post
Hi Alex,

your very lucky to live on the beautiful island of Phuket. The second car you mention sounds exactly like the GT-R i've been in & mapped 2 years ago. its one of my favour 35's anywhere very classy mods and as you say had a fortune spent on it. I can recommend places who can look after for you

I would stay away from the too heavily modified GT-R with e-manage

The MFD can not be converted easily on the JDM's and if your'e worried you'd be better off with a stock Euro spec

Old 9th February 2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinphuket View Post
Thanks Ben, phuket's a great to live and great place to work. Can I ask, how did u come by the car? Where did u tune it? What tuning method? Aid u can recommend someone local, that would be great.

Thanks

Alex
I miss thai green curry bad!

i came to phuket to map using AccessPORT but it can also be done by etune

this car right ?

there are places on the island who can service / look after
Old 9th February 2012, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

The very same mate.
Thanks for the PM
Old 9th February 2012, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
david_gtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

On top of all the other lets say challenges of having a GTR in Thailand, isn't it pretty difficult to get higher than 95 octane petrol?
Old 10th February 2012, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_gtr View Post
On top of all the other lets say challenges of having a GTR in Thailand, isn't it pretty difficult to get higher than 95 octane petrol?
True, 98 is really difficult to get hold of, 95 is pretty much everywhere, and there are many shell refilling stations dotted about claiming to sell vpower, but for map choices 95ron I guess is the right way to go. Are there 91 maps available if stuck in the middle of nowhere with only 91 on offer?

What's the tank size / range on one of these things anyway? Mpg doesn't really concern me, as fuel here is about half of uk rates, but if range isn't that good, then I may have to plan my route when going to sepang.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
david_gtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I get low to mid 20mpgs average.
So far, feels like between 300-ish miles on a tank