GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   My GTR experience starts today (or not) (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/160998-my-gtr-experience-starts-today-not.html)

Tigerruss 10th February 2012 11:08 AM

My GTR experience starts today (or not)

Why am I sad, the day after getting my shinny GTR? Cos I cannot drive it due to all the snow. Ah well it'll give me time to read the 500 page manuals (ouch!).

Anyway, looking forward to a fab year driving one of the best cars in the world (and a bit or tweaking, maybe a WRAP, exhaust and COBB) :thumbsup:

First question (of many i suspect):

Is there any way to tell if the car has had an ECU change (COBB or ECU Map etc)?

Thanks in advance
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...2/IMG_1350.JPG

Zed Ed 10th February 2012 11:38 AM

All remapping is by reflashing the existing hardware.

The car records these events and things like boost.

You would need to look at that data

*MAGIC* 10th February 2012 11:57 AM

Welcome along.

bikeracer1098 10th February 2012 12:16 PM

Congratulations mate, looks great.

Where abouts did you purchase the car from?

What are your first impressions?

Cheers

Rich

Millwallmart 10th February 2012 01:45 PM

Welcome aboard, enjoy!

p.s - there's a manual? ;)

CT17 10th February 2012 02:01 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Tigerruss 10th February 2012 02:09 PM

ZED - How do i look at the data or is this a HPC thing? Basically I want to find out if it's had anything done (ECU wise) before my chosen HPC (that's another thing I have to sort out) see's it.

Brought it from a great little prestige and performance dealer in surrey called Bramley Motor Cars. Not done enough posts to put up URL but easy to find on the interweb.

BigK 10th February 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerruss (Post 1575228)
ZED - How do i look at the data or is this a HPC thing? Basically I want to find out if it's had anything done (ECU wise) before my chosen HPC (that's another thing I have to sort out) see's it.

Brought it from a great little prestige and performance dealer in surrey called Bramley Motor Cars. Not done enough posts to put up URL but easy to find on the interweb.

Mmmm, did you not research this car beforehand ?

I almost purchased it but David and i could not come to an agreement on the finance he was offering and when i could finance it myself he backed out

Anyway awesome car but it did you know it already has a Litchfield stage 2 ?

Look at the exhausts and they have miltek on the top and also ring Ian @ Litchfield to confirm - i did and he has done the car

So you have yourself a nice little bonus !! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tin 10th February 2012 08:26 PM

nice car, bonus with the litchfield bits too!
would you mind saying how much was it up for?

Anders_R35 10th February 2012 08:32 PM

You need to inform your insurance company of the mods ASAP, you are probably driving uninsured at the moment if you don't know what's on it.

Anders

Tigerruss 10th February 2012 08:57 PM

WOW, thats great news.
Thought it was faster than I remembered when driving it home but just put it down to the fact that I hadn't driven one in a while. :clap:
YES, I knew it had the Milltek full exhaust, which is what swayed me but didn't know if it had any ECU mods as the garage said they thought it was stock!

Thanks BIGK for the update, I'll speak to Ian @ Litchfield for more detail. Have you sorted one out for yourself?

Oh yeh, guess I'll have to inform the insurance when I get the full details :(

lawsy 10th February 2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders_R35 (Post 1575410)
You need to inform your insurance company of the mods ASAP, you are probably driving uninsured at the moment if you don't know what's on it.

Anders

Not true.

Insurance is 100% valid.

SamboGrove 10th February 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 1575448)
Not true.

Insurance is 100% valid.

How's that then? I thought if you had a modded car but didn't declare the mods then the insurance company could wriggle out of coughing up the dosh.

Tigerruss 10th February 2012 10:23 PM

I can't tell the insurer's what I don't know?

SamboGrove 10th February 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerruss (Post 1575497)

But how do they know that you don't know. can you prove it? if it were me i'd investigate what mods the car has and declare them but that's just coz i'm a pussy!

Stevie76 10th February 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerruss (Post 1575497)

They wont care about that and advise your responsibility to ensure you know the state of the car unfortunately.

Zed Ed 10th February 2012 10:42 PM

You take out the insurance policy in 'good faith'

I'd be surprised if Bramley, or any dealer, took cars on without a signed declaration from their seller re mods.

However Lichy stage is just fine!

Tigerruss 10th February 2012 10:47 PM

Pretty sure once I find out the mods I'll come clean, unless the general consensus is that if I didn't have the work done and the garage hasn't informed me and I have no record or paperwork then surely I cannot be penalized RIGHT ?

Zed Ed 10th February 2012 10:53 PM

If you didn't know about the mods then you will be deemed to have taken the policy in good faith. However you also have an on-going responsibility to advise of changes to your insurance risk, so you need to act.

Competition Car insurance; great on mods and 5 track days inc.

Stevie76 10th February 2012 10:53 PM

Best thing to do would be get insurance with competition car insurance and declare what you think you might have....they don't bother with mods on the policy:thumbsup: