Few questions after first month of ownership - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th February 2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
sw20GTS is feeling the need for more powerrr
GTROC Member
 
sw20GTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northants
Cars owned: Currently Audi Q7 and GTR Black Edition
Posts: 2,060
Few questions after first month of ownership

Hopefully I don't get flamed too much but I do have a few questions after a full month of awesome GTR ownership Keep in mind this is the most powerful car I have ever owned thus far...

1) I mostly drive urban journeys but I noticed the car's steering is very lively. It sometimes tend to wonder a little bit especially over rough and uneven surfaces. Nothing to severe but does tend to wake you up Is this normal?

2) Also noticed the "dinner plate" rattling especially when cold from the transmission/diff. No warning lights whatsoever so I presume this is also something normal? If I drive the car hard the noise tends to be less

3)There's buzzing in the interior which I've narrowed down to somewhere near the gearstick, driver's side A/C vent and occasionally somewhere behind the driver's seat belt "guide". Does anyone experience buzzing too?

4) How do you reset the MPG and MPH numbers shown in the DIS on the instrument cluster? I can reset everything else but can't seem to reset that?

5) Sometimes in Auto mode when pulling out from junction in 1st gently, the car is a bit jerky. The revs seems to bound up and down a little. Is this normal?

6) For huge brakes like the ones on the GTR they feel a bit soft compared to those on my Evo. Do not get me wrong, they still stop the car well but it needs a bit of work. Is this also normal or an indication that my pads are due? I have receipt from HPC saying brakes are 60%/50% around 2 months ago. I haven't driven far since.

Those are all my questions for now. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on these issues
__________________
sw20GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
AK-500 is .....
GTROC Member
 
AK-500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Cars owned: GTR R35 DMG Black Edition, A5, 330, Freelander, Golf GTi,
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
1) I mostly drive urban journeys but I noticed the car's steering is very lively. It sometimes tend to wonder a little bit especially over rough and uneven surfaces. Nothing to severe but does tend to wake you up Is this normal?
It happens to mine too, only now and again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
2) Also noticed the "dinner plate" rattling especially when cold from the transmission/diff. No warning lights whatsoever so I presume this is also something normal? If I drive the car hard the noise tends to be less
Rattling from underside of the car is normal to an extent. There is loads of threads about this explaining what it exactly is. If it is a certain kind of rattle it may be the "flywheel housing" problem. I got paranoid at first, but its all normal. The noise should be less in "drive" and slightly more in neutral or drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
3)There's buzzing in the interior which I've narrowed down to somewhere near the gearstick, driver's side A/C vent and occasionally somewhere behind the driver's seat belt "guide". Does anyone experience buzzing too?
I have never heard any noise there but have read of other people having it aswell as other rattling and buzzing noises from various places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
4) How do you reset the MPG and MPH numbers shown in the DIS on the instrument cluster? I can reset everything else but can't seem to reset that?
On the right side of the instruments there are two buttons, when you are on the MPG screen hold down the button with the dot on it and it will reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
5) Sometimes in Auto mode when pulling out from junction in 1st gently, the car is a bit jerky. The revs seems to bound up and down a little. Is this normal?
This again is very normal and apparently is significantly improved with the gearbox software upgrades which I am looking forward to getting soon.
__________________
AK-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Stevie76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Posts: 3,517
Rattling probably rear pad springs....easy to swap to newer my11 versions. Failing that rattle likely to be prop shaft...if you get vibration then could be bell housing.

Whine/buzz might be the fuel pumps....whip the back seats out and you can hear them. Also worth padding the covers out as they can rattle.

Jerky can be solved with changes on the touch point settings if you have AP Nis06...hpc or Litchfields can also adjust. My11 gb software makes a big difference to the take off.
__________________
2010 R35 GT-R Premium - Stage 4.25 + FMIC, 102mm Exhaust, Dump Valves, Gloss Black Wheels, Eibach ARB's, PwPro Wrapped, Litchfield tuned 666bhp / 611 lbs/ft
Stevie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 24th February 2012, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
sw20GTS is feeling the need for more powerrr
GTROC Member
 
sw20GTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northants
Cars owned: Currently Audi Q7 and GTR Black Edition
Posts: 2,060
Wow thanks for answering without flaming lol Regarding bell housing I doubt that's the problem as it was just done before I purchase car. I think it could be the expected noise...
I guess I am the only one with interior buzzing/rattling then Sounds like trim vibrating but can't really pin point exactly where.

I guess I am spoilt by Audi ownership where the interior is always spot on and silent.
__________________
sw20GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Stevie76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Posts: 3,517
Could well be the fuel pump covers...they are plastic onto metal and mine rattled...bit of foam and sorted. 2 minute job.
__________________
2010 R35 GT-R Premium - Stage 4.25 + FMIC, 102mm Exhaust, Dump Valves, Gloss Black Wheels, Eibach ARB's, PwPro Wrapped, Litchfield tuned 666bhp / 611 lbs/ft
Stevie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
sw20GTS is feeling the need for more powerrr
GTROC Member
 
sw20GTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northants
Cars owned: Currently Audi Q7 and GTR Black Edition
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
Could well be the fuel pump covers...they are plastic onto metal and mine rattled...bit of foam and sorted. 2 minute job.
If you are referring to the interior buzzing/rattling I am pretty sure its something to do with the trims.

Googled hard to find a guide to rectifying this but not much help.
__________________
sw20GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
AK-500 is .....
GTROC Member
 
AK-500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Cars owned: GTR R35 DMG Black Edition, A5, 330, Freelander, Golf GTi,
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
If you are referring to the interior buzzing/rattling I am pretty sure its something to do with the trims.
I had a buzzing sound in my car but not around the area where you described.
At first I could not distinguish where it was coming from, eventually I found it after listening carefully everywhere.

My noise was from the back shelf, the furtherest part of the shelf was vibrating against the rear window. I placed a small object there and it is perfect now.
__________________
AK-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
GRowsell is Gavin in the real world...
Executive GTR Owners Club Member
 
GRowsell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Essex
Cars owned: Stage Fright R35, 440hp R34 GTT (which you should buy), Various big tractors, lots of junk vehicles,
Posts: 253
Many newly replaced bell-housing's still rattle, some as bad or even worse than before. Mine is one of them.

The wandering about on uneven roads is mainly from the hard sidewalls on run-flat tyres, compounded by being such low profile and will be worse when cold. If your tread is low, it will also take longer to warm up, especially this time of year.
__________________

UK's most powerful R34 GTT 4 door Tiptronic for sale on Skyline Owners Club
GRowsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
rob wild is In a R33 GTR
Registered
 
rob wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
Hopefully I don't get flamed too much but I do have a few questions after a full month of awesome GTR ownership Keep in mind this is the most powerful car I have ever owned thus far...

1) I mostly drive urban journeys but I noticed the car's steering is very lively. It sometimes tend to wonder a little bit especially over rough and uneven surfaces. Nothing to severe but does tend to wake you up Is this normal?
Not noticed that with mine but it does tram line sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
2) Also noticed the "dinner plate" rattling especially when cold from the transmission/diff. No warning lights whatsoever so I presume this is also something normal? If I drive the car hard the noise tends to be less
Yep very normal, its because of the carbon prop shaft and tolerances of the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
3)There's buzzing in the interior which I've narrowed down to somewhere near the gearstick, driver's side A/C vent and occasionally somewhere behind the driver's seat belt "guide". Does anyone experience buzzing too?
I would get that checked by a HPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
4) How do you reset the MPG and MPH numbers shown in the DIS on the instrument cluster? I can reset everything else but can't seem to reset that?
Its in the setting menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
5) Sometimes in Auto mode when pulling out from junction in 1st gently, the car is a bit jerky. The revs seems to bound up and down a little. Is this normal?
Yeah mine did that but since I put the New gearbox software on it and a clutch relearn it's night and day difference! Well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
6) For huge brakes like the ones on the GTR they feel a bit soft compared to those on my Evo. Do not get me wrong, they still stop the car well but it needs a bit of work. Is this also normal or an indication that my pads are due? I have receipt from HPC saying brakes are 60%/50% around 2 months ago. I haven't driven far since.
What pads are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
Those are all my questions for now. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on these issues
__________________
rob wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com

tyreforums

 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.