GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Number plate question (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/161675-number-plate-question.html)

Adamantium 27th February 2012 07:21 PM

Number plate question

Hi all,

Not sure where to ask this so am gong to put it here.

I just want to know, who on this forum would buy a private plate that is to all intents and purposes the perfect display of their surname?

I have two cars - the other one I got at auction for the bargain price of 500.

I used to love these plates, mostly because I thought if I have to show an arbitrary combination of numbers on my car, they might as well be specific to me, btu now I wonder if they are a bit chav scum. A bit like wearing a necklace or a jumber with your name on it.

I thought 500 was a lot when I bought my plate but at the time I loved them. Now I can afford a lot more, which is lucky because this plate is 2000, I am just having trouble weighing up the fact that it is 2000 for essentially a badge but it is also a perfect display of my surname.

It means it has no future value to anyone else, so I can't treat it as an investment - it's pure wastage, but equally I can keep it forever, and it has the added advantage of not meaning anything to anyone who doesn't know me - but does that make it worse?

Would just appreciate any opinions on this as I really am in two minds.

andrew186 27th February 2012 07:26 PM

personally i would only spend 2000 if it was clear to everyone else what it said, otherwise it will just look like random numbers & letters like bog standard plates!

Adamantium 27th February 2012 07:28 PM

So you wouldn't buy it for yourself, you'd only buy it for everyone else?

(appreciate the input)

MIKEGTR 27th February 2012 07:31 PM

I love my plate, I've never done anything that has got as much attention as it does, but Chav??? Yeah definately lol

Adamantium 27th February 2012 07:33 PM

You are from Essex, you should really be excluded from the chav question as a given!

andrew186 27th February 2012 07:34 PM

yeah..private plates are also called "vanity plates" for a reason!

i have my own cheap plate (250) that people do not "get" until i explain it

all depends on how much 2k is really worth to you i suppose

Adamantium 27th February 2012 07:38 PM

This plate has been available for years on the dvla website.

It was 2000 it's now 2040 because of the vat hike I guess. When the price was first released I immediately decided to forget it, but now I think it would be a one off purchase for life.

It's my damn wife's fault. She hates them, and her reasoning is rubbing off on me. Would you walk around with a jumper on that said your name across the chest? It's a bit naff.

My answer was, if you have to wear a jumper that has to say eg. LT56 XMB anyway, it might as well say something useful.

andrew186 27th February 2012 07:43 PM

sounds like you really want it!
go for it then.. like you say its a one off purchase for life and when you are done with it you could pass it down to your son (if you have kids), would make a great birthday gift

F1ASH 27th February 2012 08:39 PM

Hi,

I had the opportunity to buy my perfect plate when I was younger, I had the money at the time even though it was a lot back then and still never brought it(spent the money on girls and partying) but to this day I still regret it(not the partying/girl part) so my advise is:

Buy it, you will regret it in the future if you don't...

MIKEGTR 27th February 2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantium (Post 1584753)
You are from Essex, you should really be excluded from the chav question as a given!

Cant argue with that logic :)

Adamantium 27th February 2012 08:55 PM

Thanks guys, big help.

Mike, I was born and bred in Southend so my comment was a little loaded with irony.

tonigmr2 27th February 2012 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like a private plate, it's just personal taste really. I've got one of my first name and initial of my surname for instance, and they do appreciate like mad after you buy them from dvla auction on the whole. If you're buying from a private plate dealer then it's top dollar probably and no, not an investment really.

MIKEGTR 27th February 2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantium (Post 1584808)
Thanks guys, big help.

Mike, I was born and bred in Southend so my comment was a little loaded with irony.

Lol with all those divs on tele at the mo we're fighting a losing battle

Adamantium 27th February 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonigmr2 (Post 1584810)
I like a private plate, it's just personal taste really. I've got one of my first name and initial of my surname for instance, and they do appreciate like mad after you buy them from dvla auction on the whole. If you're buying from a private plate dealer then it's top dollar probably and no, not an investment really.

Mine will be completely worthless to anyone but my family.

No one else in the country has the surname.

It's 2040 I'd never see again.

CT17 27th February 2012 09:37 PM

Despite also coming from Essex...

Getting T12 ABC, just because you initials are ABC is (IMO) quite frankly cheap and just makes you look like you could only afford a 200 plate. Really don't see the point, the car is not a T reg, ie 1999. Better off with no private plate at all.

Sure, if they spell something or are just have you initials (ABC 30) and hide the date I can see the point. It's what I'd call a "proper" private plate, rather that the budget specials you buy for a 10 year old Ford Fiesta.

I just can't see why you'd buy a 40k car and stick a 200 plate on it, considering the car loses value and the plate doesn't.

I don't think money on decent private plates is wasted.
Because you can use them again and again. Where as anything spent on a car goes up in smoke over a few years...

sw20GTS 27th February 2012 09:48 PM

NO08 OMG. Nearly bought a GTR with this plate :)

MIKEGTR 27th February 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT17 (Post 1584839)
Despite also coming from Essex...

Getting T12 ABC, just because you initials are ABC is (IMO) quite frankly cheap and just makes you look like you could only afford a 200 plate. Really don't see the point, the car is not a T reg, ie 1999. Better off with no private plate at all.

Sure, if they spell something or are just have you initials (ABC 30) and hide the date I can see the point. It's what I'd call a "proper" private plate, rather that the budget specials you buy for a 10 year old Ford Fiesta.

I just can't see why you'd buy a 40k car and stick a 200 plate on it, considering the car loses value and the plate doesn't.

I don't think money on decent private plates is wasted.
Because you can use them again and again. Where as anything spent on a car goes up in smoke over a few years...

Yeah I agree too

Unless its a birthday with initials or actually says something then they are a bit pointless, unless u want to disguise the age of course but then again I don't think a 'GTR' plate is worth 1500!

Nickgtr35 27th February 2012 10:04 PM

Took me a while to decide on a private plate but eventually it just had to be done. So i went for F1 followed by my initials, i love The sport and it goes well with the car, its worthless to anyone else but i am happy to keep it forever.

Adamantium 27th February 2012 10:09 PM

This plate for me is like having the surname Gossman and buying the plate GO55MAN for 2000.

Except that my name is much rarer than Gossman, (I assume there's a few of them).

It would be an older plate on a much newer (brand new in fact) car, but a perfect version of my name, closer than any "proper" plate could get de to the way the plates are configured.

fozi.g 27th February 2012 10:28 PM

Without a shadow of a doubt buy it!!!!! 2k is a fair amount of money but in the bigger scheme of things it's not really that much considering that it will be with you for life and when your too old to hang it from your zimmerframe you can pass it on to your kids. I'm a sucker for private plates, always have been. Got a nice collection going including ones with my surname which like yours is fairly unusual and uncommon. Got one on the GTR and on the bike. If your fortunate to be able get something close or exactly what your surname is then in my eyes it's pretty much priceless. And as for being chavy I really don't think so.