My10 or My11 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th March 2012, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
s3th is The Tarmac Terrorist!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

My10 or My11

Hi All

sorry for noob thread all

I'm ready to place a depo on my next car and after doing vast research and talking to people(special thanks to Adam whos been really helpful). I just cant make my mind up on either getting a MY10 OR MY11.

Iv sourced both cars and have got good deal placed on both cars.

I just don't know what route to go down after research iv learnt with companies like Litchfield around there isn't much to worry about in regards to warranty and with all the upgrades available and there stage 4 it seems like the right route to go. but the service intervals put me of.

My11 being facelift and having all the improvements done it plus being a newer car and it would mean i would not be Modding if i got the MY11

price difference is 20k between the 2 cars

so just wanted advice on what people think the best route would be

apologies if I sound daft
Old 10th March 2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
10 and save the cash for mods to make the 10 car 10x better than the 11 car
Old 10th March 2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
MY11 is better made.

Mods or not, MY11 is better from ground up....... from chassis to suspension to gearbox etc.

so it's your call

you can buy the 10 save some money and spend the extra cash to try and make it faster (but it doesn't mean it's better)

Or have an over all better made car and go for the MY11.

Don't get me wrong though, both well-made cars, but the MY11 is even better and revised thoroghly in every way.

Read about the enhancements on the MY11, if you think they are worth the money, go for it ! or if the enhancements seem not worthy of the difference in price then by all means you can go for the 10 model.

Personal choice mate.

Old 10th March 2012, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Totally disagree with Nigel.

Gearbox differs by software.

Tune recovers more than the power difference.

Suspension aftermarket from litchfields will be better.

That just leaves a chassis brace that can be fitted.

So with the £16k you have left you can address the difference in the wheels and interior.
Old 10th March 2012, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Have a chat with litchfields....11 car has revised gearbox software, revised suspension, revised mapping and bigger turbo inlets oh and revised brakes....Aftermarket options available for all that make 10 cars better than 11 cars for less than the price difference.

Your money your call....personally I like having a better car and money in the bank
Old 10th March 2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post

So with the £16k you have left you can address the difference in the wheels and interior.

Suspension can be I
Absolutely
Old 10th March 2012, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

How certain are you about what you've just listed?

The difference in chassis is just that carbon brace in the egnine bay? Is that all?

Gearbox mechanical components are 100% the same ?

Wonder if that tallies with what Nissan have been saying in terms of improvements.

Old 10th March 2012, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel-Power View Post
How certain are you about what you've just listed?

The difference in chassis is just that carbon brace in the egnine bay? Is that all?

Gearbox mechanical components are 100% the same ?

Wonder if that tallies with what Nissan have been saying in terms of improvements.

Mechanicals exactly the same hence why you can just run new software with no changes. Suspension is slightly revised and brace.

Some searching will reveal all!
Old 10th March 2012, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

So they are fundamentally the same car, but they're charging way more for no reason !?

What lying [email protected] !

Reminds of this video for some reason.

Old 10th March 2012, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
I think that the bad £/yen rate + the 20% vat rate makes up a fair chunk of the increase in price as well.

Personally I would buy the 2010, stage 4 it, ecutek gearbox software, Litchfields suspension mods, recaro carbon fibre seats, new wheels and tart the outside up with carbon fibre lowers, spoiler,bonnet and roof.

God I wish I had more money!! So far I've only got to stage 1 and gearbox software!
Old 11th March 2012, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
s3th is The Tarmac Terrorist!!

Thanks for the replies guys and aiding me in my choice.

Some point in the new week im going to view the MY10 car common sense is pointing me towards, considering the monthly repayments and how much extra i'm paying on top of the list price.

Should i consider the warranty the MY11 models have to offer n regards to the fact they cover the gearbox if broken due to launches (no intention to use but never say never).

And can someone send me a link or a page were i can see how much service would cost me from my local HPC.

Also what's the depreciation on both cars the MY10 is going to end up costing me 50k and intend to keep it for a few years as with the MY11
Old 11th March 2012, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered

Depreciation means helper car will always cost you less. Especially as the first owner has already taken the biggest hit.

You are talking of using litchfields to recover the differences between the cars, well guess who the best gearbox fettlers in the country are? Litchfields are an approved Dodson distributor and installer and Dodson make the best gearbox strengthening components, so they can be trusted to train the right people.

If you want to launch a lot of times, fit circlips, but even then the rock 2011 does without them. The circlip job is £1500, but u would be on an 11. Ask Iain how many 10 model cars he has HAD to replace circlips on due to failure. If they do fail AND Nissan say they won't over it, the job is still £1500, which still leaves you big money in the bank after not buying an 11.

I was tempted to do all the things I am saying here, but the main thing for me was I wanted the 11 wheels, bumpers and interior bits. Once I'd done all of those, there was only about £10k in it. That's the only reason I went 11 again.

In your position, especially if financing and considering depreciation, it's a no brainier. 2010, so long as you get a good one.

Last edited by Adamantium; 11th March 2012 at 10:20 AM..
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
I cancelled my MY11 after it had arrived at dealer and took a year old MY10 that they had as could not justify the £20k plus differnence...as has been said mods that transform car are a fraction of the cost.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
baileyconstruct is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:

I agree with this. I cannot see the small improvements, if you call them that, give the car a 20k premium. I am not a fan of carbon and for instance dislike the carbon centre console piece. Looks like I've been to halfords and stuck something after market on.

My only real like is the my11 is the front grill.

I would save your 20k and spend it on a stage 4 and buy the better half some shoes to keep the peace lol
Old 11th March 2012, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

To be honest, for a standard car, a jump in power figures from 480 to 530hp, in standard car terms I woud'nt call that a "small improvement" on top of other enhancements if you look at it the MY11 is much improved.

Nevertheless; the only drawback is that these enhancements cannot be justified in the huge price gap between the two models.

Therefore, in that sense the MY10 seems a far better deal, considering you can spend half of that (price difference) money and do your own improvements.

20K is a lot of money to be giving for essentially the same car with a few tweaks.

Unless money is no object and you wanted a new car for the sake of it, and that those enhancements sound good enough for you.
Old 11th March 2012, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
I was in the same position last October. MY11 or look for a MY10.

The MY11 car is better, there is no doubt. But it's only about 3-5% better in real terms as all the revisions are minor things you'll be hard pressed to notice unless you have spent some time in a MY11.

Knowing I was going to modify I went the MY10 route and saved myself 20k.
OK, I accept the base car isn't quite as good. But I've spent less than half of what I saved and now I've got a 610bhp GT-R with uprated brakes and anti-roll bars. So it's more capable and I'm still about 10-12k in front.

Litchfield have had the MY11 gearbox apart and they state that it's the same as the MY10. Which is why a simple (and cheap) software upgrade gives you the same shifting comfort as the MY11.

And the end of the day, I suppose it depends if you want a model with more kudos, or better value for money...

I'd love to have a MY11, with it's unique blue paint and Daytime Running Lights. But for a lot less you can have a stage one MY10 that produces the same power (or more).

I just couldn't justify the difference in price for a car with minor tweaks that's a year newer, as much as it is nicer to have the later model.
Old 11th March 2012, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Phil. is aware that others here complement their GTR with aFFRR

I don't get this £20k price difference being quoted by many. A MY11 is available now for around £60k and you'll have to pay £45k-£50k for a similar quality MY10. So the difference for a good MY10 car is nearer £10k-£15k.

Also, what about the cost of ownership when taking in to account depreciation and mod costs. What is the return on £10k's worth of mods on a MY10 at re-sale time? My guess is not a lot as the car will be priced as a MY10, so annual depreciation on a MY10 + mods could be higher than a standard MY11.
Old 11th March 2012, 04:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil. View Post
I don't get this £20k price difference being quoted by many. A MY11 is available now for around £60k and you'll have to pay £45k-£50k for a similar quality MY10. So the difference for a good MY10 car is nearer £10k-£15k.

Also, what about the cost of ownership when taking in to account depreciation and mod costs. What is the return on £10k's worth of mods on a MY10 at re-sale time? My guess is not a lot as the car will be priced as a MY10, so annual depreciation on a MY10 + mods could be higher than a standard MY11.
Good point raised
Old 11th March 2012, 04:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Don't forget the longer service intervals on the MY11 or the £500 for three years servicing...that must save a couple of grand IMO.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered

All good points actually.

Not many good 11s at 60k though. Only one I saw that was really good was mine, the others that I have since viewed were dogs or high mileage.

The mods also have a value, so other than the £250 gearbox update, can be removed and sold very easily.