Extended warranty. Worth it? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th March 2012, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Extended warranty. Worth it?

I've been looking and looking at GTRs and finally think I'm going to go for it.

My question is, are extended warranties worth it? Heard the Nissan one is £2.5k per year.

Surely with the right garage Independant garage and problems if found early enough can be sorted with out getting to the point of astronomical builds. Or am I kidding myself?

Or are even the small jobs on a gtr expensive to fix?
Old 13th March 2012, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BRZ track project
I've 3 weeks of warranty left and I'm not going to bother extending.

At £1500 or less, I might have.

I don't spend time worrying about reliability; she has been faultless.
Old 13th March 2012, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
B16JUS is unaware they can edit their status

Its a gamble i personally wouldnt as its a insurance product and they make money out of it ok some cars they loose on and some they make but now the cars are a few years old with many parts other than nissan available id take the chance bank a grand a year towards any problems and if after a couple of years use the money towards a newer one

J

Old 13th March 2012, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Have to agree with B16JUS regarding it being an insurance product, you could spend your entire earnings on insurance policies of various sorts and never need them. For the mileage my car does, I won't be bothering.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chris1049 is unaware they can edit their status

Absolutely not worth it unless your buying a cheap, high milage car maybe.
If you do few miles you can then just service every year. All cars go wrong of course but generally these ones seem to be very very good.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Should be goin for a 09 or a 10 pref with under 20k miles, will be lucky if I do 8k miles max. Offshore for 6 month of the year
Old 13th March 2012, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
smifffy is GTR happy
GTROC Member

I spoke to WLMG Slough last week about the warranty. The GT-R guy (Jas) said it was going to be £2k PA but didn't have any details of the coverage. I've asked for details to be sent to me as soon as they are available.

I've also asked Litchfield to confirm their offering but they're not ready to do so yet.

I'm likely to go down the latter route as it's likely to cover their work/upgrades etc.

Of course you're absolutely right in that this is simple an insurance product. You're paying to cover a risk. In most circumstances I don't bother with post-sales cover but given the potential costs involved then I might. All depends on the price point.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Yeh, that's one of my arguments surely the potential costs coming from a dealer are going to be more than an independent.

Eg Nissan may say car needs a complete gear box £14k for arguments sake, where as independent may say no, I'd need x,y,z replaced in the gearbox, cost £4k

It's an extreme example
Old 13th March 2012, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Don't sweat it on the gearbox; tough in reality

I suspect the cost of the extended warranty is driven somewhat by profit, but more likely by a cautious approach to statistical failure rates given the limited population of cars for the underwriters to work off.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
donski D is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 GT-v, E46 M5, E60 M5, Black GT-R black edition
Got a quote from warranty direct and was £980 for dealer repaired and £750 for independant repaired.

Waiting for the small print to come through, am I'm sure there will be some kind of excess
Old 16th March 2012, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
AK-500 is .....
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR R35 DMG Black Edition, A5, 330, Freelander, Golf GTi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by donski D View Post
Got a quote from warranty direct and was £980 for dealer repaired and £750 for independant repaired.

Waiting for the small print to come through, am I'm sure there will be some kind of excess
I got a quote from them too after I got an email from admiral who I think is part of the same group:

Below is what was written on the quote page:

Your LuxuryCare Warranty is "Nearly a new car warranty". Almost all mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle are covered. This exceptional level of protection provides parts and labour cover for all the mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle with the exception of those detailed below.

This is one of the best extended warranty protection covers you can get outside of the manufacturer's original warranty.

Included with your warranty is the extra protection of - Recovery, Car Hire, Emergency Travel and Overnight Hotel accommodation you also get free access to our 24 hour recovery helpline operated by AXA Assistance. This helpline will give you and your family peace of mind that help will be on hand when you need it most.

The real worth of our warranty will only be discovered when you claim and we know that it can often be difficult to decide on the warranty company that deserves your trust. That's why we're delighted to list among our many partners such names as The Telegraph, MSN, The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, WhatCar magazine, Auto Trader, Admiral Insurance, Moneysupermarket, Go Compare, This is Money and uSwitch.

EXCLUDED COMPONENTS
The following components of the vehicle are NOT covered.

BODYWORK
All bodywork, trim, upholstery, glass, paint, sunroof components, panels, wheels and tyres.

BRAKES
Brake discs and drums, brake pads and shoes.

CLUTCH
Clutch centre/friction plate, cover plate and release bearing.

CONTAMINATED FUEL
The cleaning or unblocking of fuel lines, filters, carburettors, pumps, metering units or idle speed control valves.

ELECTRICS
Lamps, batteries, fuses, and connectors, in-car audio and entertainment systems or navigational systems.

ALARMS AND IMMOBILISERS
Not fitted by the vehicle manufacturer as original specification.

SERVICE ITEMS
Including but not limited to:- Distributor cap, rotor arm, condenser, points, high tension leads, spark plugs, wiper blades, filter elements, bulbs, belts, antifreeze, fluids, grease, fuel or oils.

MISCELLANEOUS
Exhaust gasket, exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, auxiliary drive belts, brackets, mountings, pipes and hoses, water ingress, cables other than clutch cables.

OIL LEAKS
Notwithstanding exclusion 11 of the policy, this covers the cylinder head gasket and seal or gasket replacement that necessitates the removal of the engine, gearbox/drive unit or differential unit to carry out repairs.

CASINGS
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.

SUNDRIES
Sundries such as coolants, lubricants, fluids, oils, filters and other working materials are covered if their replacement is necessitated due to a valid claim, provided the vehicle is not within 1,000 miles of its next service.

For details of cover see Policy Document
All components of the car are covered other than those listed above.
Old 17th March 2012, 06:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

So going by above it covers engine, transmission, suspension which doesn't sound to bad
Old 17th March 2012, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Forget the Nissan extended warranty. The massive price premium I suspect will be going some way to balancing the books on all the replacement gearboxes and bell housings they have had to replace rather than repair.
Lots of people are waiting for Iain at Litchfields to release his prices but he is not going to do that until Nissan have officially released theirs is he ? What you can guarantee is that it will be cheaper and have less small print.

Ja5on - provided you buy the right car and not one that been launched every 5 minutes or heavily tracked ( basically , well looked after ) then you`ll be fine.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Do we have a five year drivetrain warranty in the UK like the States?
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote