R35s and Skid Pans? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th March 2012, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
sidepipe is not a euphemism
GT-RDC Founder Member

R35s and Skid Pans?

Part of the Euro Tour next month involves a day a the Michelin Test Track in Vichy, which I know some of us have already booked. One of the features of that facility is a wet skid pan, which got me thinking a bit.

Has anyone tried an R35 on a skid pan? My initial thoughts are that without turning off the traction control, it would be pretty difficult to get the beast to do anything particularly interesting, but the laws of physics suggest that anything weighing as much as the 35 with any sort of power going to the back MUST be provokable.... surely the electronics can't be THAT good? Anyone tried it? Any techniques to try to unsettle the unsettleable?

Actually, whilst I'm at it, a blatant plug for the Euro tour in case anyone hasn't seen it or has been thinking about going but hasn't took the plunge yet. We're up to 7 ( I think ) confirmed cars at the mo and about 11 people - there's room for a few more cars. Never tried anything like this before myself ( always wanted to ) but the help from the guys has been beyond belief and given the locations we're visiting ( Monaco I really want to see! ) the price is a steal. Thanks to Fuggles and hardcoRe for organising what will be the event of the decade for me Main thread here.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
CATDT is busy
GTR Register Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepipe View Post
Has anyone tried an R35 on a skid pan? My initial thoughts are that without turning off the traction control, it would be pretty difficult to get the beast to do anything particularly interesting, but the laws of physics suggest that anything weighing as much as the 35 with any sort of power going to the back MUST be provokable.... surely the electronics can't be THAT good? Anyone tried it? Any techniques to try to unsettle the unsettleable?
Many have proved they can be drifted on the Steering Pad and Apron at Millbrook on our group days. Where is Turbobungle

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
CATDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATDT View Post
Many have proved they can be drifted on the Steering Pad and Apron at Millbrook on our group days. Where is Turbobungle

Jo
Hi Jo... Yer, one of the reasons I asked the question is that I had a quick go at getting the GT-R to drift at your place when I was there. There were just signs that it wanted to go but I was too attached to my tyres to push any harder

I'm thinking that on a wet surface it should be easier ( and more tyre-friendly, ) but it also may be that the safety's cut in earlier meaning that its actually the other way around! Didn't want to be the one making a fool of myself in Vichy if its just not going to happen

Old 14th March 2012, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
sin
sin is "living the dream"
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepipe View Post
I had a quick go at getting the GT-R to drift at your place when I was there. There were just signs that it wanted to go but I was too attached to my tyres to push any harder
You need more lead in your boots .

Will be a blast on the skid pan especially with a low friction surface, tis difficult on a dry surface as the 4wd system tries to help you out....... which is unhelpful.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
CATDT is busy
GTR Register Trader

On our group drifting & over grip limit handling course days, the Steering Pad is wetted at the end to do just that, minimise the wear and tear to the tyres.

But some can still get carried away ... where are you JohnHanton57 Never seen so much tyre smoke.

Jo

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
CATDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BRZ track project
A video taken at last year's Michelin event can be found here

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/162331-mi...1st-april.html
Old 14th March 2012, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
TC off was great fun at millbrook...I did half a set of tyres in
Old 14th March 2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
Traction control off and a good prod of the loud pedal you'll be sideways in a jiffy and thats in the dry!
Old 14th March 2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
TC off was great fun at millbrook...I did half a set of tyres in
Yer, I can imagine

Not sure that I want the hassle of visiting a dealer afterwards to make sure that my warranty is still in tact though
Old 14th March 2012, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
johnhanton57 is going back to black
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

I'm here Colin.

No problems drifting just my control lacking As we in the know are aware FWD doesn't work with steering above 15 deg angle and with VDC OFF What Fun

I need to come back agian as I've got a few more horses and a new LSD to bugger up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATDT View Post
On our group drifting & over grip limit handling course days, the Steering Pad is wetted at the end to do just that, minimise the wear and tear to the tyres.

But some can still get carried away ... where are you JohnHanton57 Never seen so much tyre smoke.

Jo