Stage 1 from Middlehurst or Litchfield? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rob234 is operating a strict no lift policy
GTROC Member

Question Stage 1 from Middlehurst or Litchfield?

Having looked through the forum the re-map of the engine, transmission and then Y pipe is clearly a no brainer. My car is due a service and has concierge, so it seems easy to book it into Middlehurst Motorsport and have them service and upgrade... but then I see that Litchfield can service the car and keep the warranty valid. Anyone got any experience of using Middlehurst for upgrades or any thoughts on using a non-Nissan dealer to service the car?

Itís my first mod on the car so Iím grateful for any advice.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Useyourwings is going round in circles and loving it
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Mitsubishi FTO, Mazda RX8 Own - GTR R35
I am in a similar dilemma, but I also live much closer to Middlehurst. Do Litchfield offer the concierge service too?

I am planning on leaving the mods until after the 36k service as I want to make sure any potential warranty issues are identified and resolved first, so I may go to Middlehurst for the service and to Litchfield for the re-maps and pipe later.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
mickv is now without GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 DMG Premium
As far as I know, Middlehursts only do the Nismo upgrades, the ECU one appearing to be an expensive waste of time. I htink Zed Ed had his done, so might well chip in and will be better informed through experience.

Litchfield stage 1 means y pipe and remap using Ecutek software. I had it done about 12 months ago and was amazed at the result. You can really feel a big difference in power and torque and the y pipe makes the car sound great. Since then I've gone to Litchfield stage 2, which means going to full Milltek exhaust (excluding downpipes) and iirc K&N filters, with an adjusted map. Again, this works absolutley great and slightly quietens exhaust note, which is handy if you want to do trackdays. Also, worth getting the my11 gearbox software upgrade done at the same time, assuming you have an 09 or 10 car. It is loads smoother (I couldn't tell much difference at first but 2 months on it feels silky smooth - changes are way better than on the 09 software).

As you may have guessed by now, I'm a big fan of the Litchfield setup - Iain is great guy who has built his business on attention to detail and complete honesty. I have never heard a bad word spoken about the way he goes about things and would wholheartedly recommend him for both servicing and tuning work.

That said, I have never used Middlehurst, but I know Iain views them as the best HPC. Just not sure they are big on the tuning side.

Re concierge service - this is an HPC only thing. I believe Litchfield will offer a collection and delivery but presume this comes at extra charge. I perosnally prefer to take a day off and drive down - it's worth the trip to see the setup and you get a good few hours to enjoy the mods on the way home.

Last edited by mickv; 22nd March 2012 at 01:16 PM..
mickv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd March 2012, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
sin
sin is "living the dream"
GT-RDC Member

Have a word with Gary at Middlehursts as i know they are authorised Ecutek dealers. Yes they have kept away from modifying cars under warranty - whether this will be the case in the future i dont know.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
misters3 is loving the torque in the E70!
Registered

Cars owned: BMW 335D, R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useyourwings View Post
I am in a similar dilemma, but I also live much closer to Middlehurst. Do Litchfield offer the concierge service too?

I am planning on leaving the mods until after the 36k service as I want to make sure any potential warranty issues are identified and resolved first, so I may go to Middlehurst for the service and to Litchfield for the re-maps and pipe later.
Not sure how many miles a year you do...but good luck with that
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

misters3 - I do about 6k - 7k miles per year so I expect it will have only reached 15k miles when it is time for the 36 month / 36k mile service
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

micky - this is really helpful, thanks. I had planned on not modding until the warranty expired as I that will give me time to know the car and make sure any serious items are resolved before it runs out.

Let's see if I can hold off that long though

You mentioned that the quieter exhaust noise helps with track days - I assume this is because some tracks have a noise limit. Of the events I have this year Goodwood has imposed a 98db limit. Have you any idea if stock exhaust, y-pipe or full milltek breach this?
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
misters3 is loving the torque in the E70!
Registered

Cars owned: BMW 335D, R35
Quote:
misters3 - I do about 6k - 7k miles per year so I expect it will have only reached 15k miles when it is time for the 36 month / 36k mile service
Snap....i lasted about 18 months!!
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
DODGY is Working harder lol

Cars owned: WHITE GTR34 VSPEC.....NOW RUNNING 2860-5's and a white R35 at stage 4.25 :-)
Try RBMotorsport they should be good on price.

Graham
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rob234 is operating a strict no lift policy
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin View Post
Have a word with Gary at Middlehursts as i know they are authorised Ecutek dealers. Yes they have kept away from modifying cars under warranty - whether this will be the case in the future i dont know.
Yeah i spoke to Gary this AM he was very knowledgeable and helpful. He offered me stage one (re-map for engine, gearbox and Y pipe) for £1500-£1600 ish. I like the idea of using a Nissan dealer to do the work and it gets the stamp for the service as Nissan but I cant help wondering if the Litchfield stage 1 would be the same or better?
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
mickv is now without GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 DMG Premium
Quote:
micky - this is really helpful, thanks. I had planned on not modding until the warranty expired as I that will give me time to know the car and make sure any serious items are resolved before it runs out.

Let's see if I can hold off that long though

You mentioned that the quieter exhaust noise helps with track days - I assume this is because some tracks have a noise limit. Of the events I have this year Goodwood has imposed a 98db limit. Have you any idea if stock exhaust, y-pipe or full milltek breach this?
Sorry, can't really give you reliable guidance on this. There's a bit more discussion on noice levels here:

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/162236-exhaust.html

Lots of other threads too so maybe try a search. I'd speak to Iain Litchfield - he might be bale to give you an idea of the ratings of the different options. However, I know from experience that Milltek y pipe with stock catback is loud (sounds great, but loud!). And 98db is quite a low limit so I would not be surprised if a y pipe only setup failed. I;m not aware of anyone saying they have had noise limit problems with the full Milltek though, but obviously it's another chunk of cash that you may prefer not to spend.

Rich GT on here does a lot at Goodwood if a remember - maybe send him a PM and see what setup he has?

Mick
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
[email protected] M/S is looking forward to racing on the circuits again soon
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Skylines...
Hi , bring it to us , we are EcuTek and Cobb dealers and can carry out the service to Nissan specification.

Cars are tuned on the dyno , so every car is mapped not just a generic map uploaded.

Look at our Abbey forum for service prices and I am sure we can pick the car up as well, or you can use one of our courtesy cars, might even let you have a driv ein our Dig T Juke.
Up to date diagnostics for all Nissan,s Consult 1/2/3
Latest Spec Hunter Alignment Rig and Ramp
Corner weight scales for trackset up
Tuner of the fastest Rb26 powered car in Europe
Any information needed give us a ring or mail us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Mark@Abbey M/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

MickV - thanks for the pointer. That is a helpful post along with some others.

Mark - I will give it a look, thanks.
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Interesting that MH are doing ecutek R35 tunes now; I'd not heard that.

The Nismo ecu is pretty subtle in terms of outright performance. If you want grunt, get a stage; if you want a warrantied change to how the car drives, go Nismo.

Y-pipe alone may make you marginal on some trackdays. Ought to pass muster at a 105db day though. I had a y-pipe for a while and it measured 102db static ( at Combe ) Full miltek system is quieter. My stock exhaust measured 91db static at Bedford, by comparison. If you want to track then you need to think about exhaust noise when adding aftermarket pipes. If it sounds large on the road, chances are you won't get on track or will be sent home for a drive-by noise crime.

Stock R35 does 90db drive-by at Silverstone, for example

Last edited by Zed Ed; 22nd March 2012 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Silverstone bit added
Zed Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Ring them both and then go to Litchfields !!!

I posted a load of stuff about Y pipes and Track days when I got my car 2008, the standard Y pipe will not allow you on some tracks so best to go for the complete Miltek SS exhaust system, bigger bore, helps turbo's spool up quicker and the car breath more easily + will get you on ALL circuits !

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

That harsh Steve as you have had your car at Abbey after it wasn't tuned right.

Do you think we don't know what we are doing tuning these R35GTR's , We have been around a while tuning car even tuning Stock Nissan ECU's far longer than a lot of people.

Last edited by [email protected] M/S; 22nd March 2012 at 05:05 PM..
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

errr, talking about the R35 aren't we ?

Dam it - forgot that you now do R35's !! My apologies !

1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

1 tracked mind I see.

I been tuning stock Gen 1 to Gen 4 Nissan ECU;s for over 3 years now days , tuning 350/370Z after adding turbo's and big BHP N?A cars , from what I have seen/used on both EcuTek and Cobb ( not used Cobb yet as I have just ordered the software) it isnt rocket science as we have a lot of experience tuning turbo cars on our in house Dynapack dyno.

Drop up in you R35GTR Steve , you can have a free run on the dyno when we discuss the work on your 33GTR/

Old 22nd March 2012, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Will do Mark !!

2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
blitzer_bhoy is working on an R35 GTR
Registered

Cars owned: Civic Coupe, Toyota Supra, Honda Prelude Motegi 2.2vti, R33 GTST Type M Stage 1, R33 GTR VSpec Stage 1, Civic Type R, R32 GTR
whatever you choose I would certainly have a custom map...not a fan of generic maps one bit...just my 2p worth...dont have my R35 yet but I have always opted for custom maps on my previous Skylines...as soo as I get mine it will be dyno/live mapped ..