Nissan GTR - outrunning Godzilla - my 3d animation advert... - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th March 2012, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Nissan GTR - outrunning Godzilla - my 3d animation advert...

hey guys
as many of you know i'm fond of creating nonsensical 3d chaff from time to time (i actually prefer to always do this over playing games... and lately more than poopy nappies too!)

anyway here's a coupla shot of my current wip animation project. I've had the 2012 nissan GTR modelled up for quite a while now but never really done owt with it.

I got hold of a cool dinosaur rig and doing a little test it struck me that it'd be fun to have it chase the car (outrunning Godzilla... geddit?!) so when i were relatively happy with the anim of the dino i decided to stick the car in and see how it looks - didn't come out too bad methinks.

I've done another slicker shot last night (opening shot feat. the car firing up) and i've got a few others to do but thought i'd share these two with you all as i'm particularly happy with them - i think they have a cool advert feel to them which is something i've been trying to get from some of my renders for a while now.

the ad is gonna feature a coupla sexy shots of the car, then it will drive across a grid environment that lights up. Another camera will show footsteps appearing in the grid like ripples (jurassic park anyone?) before the dino kinda appears in a Virtual Reality like state and chases the car! Big roar.. cut to black and nissan GTR logo.

I'm hoping a friend of mine at work will do the sound - he's currently finishing up on my tron animation project (which is sounding big epic!). I'd love to hear the dino big roar mixed with a little bit of digital corruption

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUaGD...pjCuRHuxdqtCE=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6A7Y...kS1Urd1chR9Fs=

thoughts and comments always welcome! enjoy!
Old 24th March 2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
This one is pretty good

Old 24th March 2012, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
saucyboy is Enjoying every journey!!

Cars owned: Noble M12 GTO-3, 996 Turbo, Now- 172 Cup, R32 GT-R, R35 GT-R
Talking

Very good mate. Look forward to seeing more

Old 24th March 2012, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vigilante102 is tired of typing witty comments

Looks good - post some more :-) Do you do 3D animation for work or Just for fun?
Old 24th March 2012, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Nice vid, what software you using Maya, 3G Studio Max?
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough

cheers chaps

yep i work in this field of work (altho its been quiet for me of late as pretty much the rest of the team have replaced me so i feel quite like a fifth wheel).

I put it together using maya and rendered with mental ray - horrible software to render with but if you perservere you get good results.

just rendering a couple of test shots now to see how the rest of it will look but will wait till i have full res hd renders before posting any more

stay tuned!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTROC Member

How are the render times these days? I remember rendering something in KPT Bryce on a dual core Celeron 500Mhz and it took seven days at 1024 x 768! The scene had loads of lights and volumetric fog, took some number crunching.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Old 24th March 2012, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

ah mate render times on my laptop can be painful but its 4 years old now - its still quite nippy.. core2duo 2.6 ghz with 3gb of ram and a decent gfx card but maya just cares about ram and processing power for rendering.

@1280 x 720 (my rendering for this project and others) its taking about 6 minutes a frame but i've got a fair few advanced shaders on the car - things that deal with soft reflections and refraction slow it down, plus final gather techniques also cost alot still.

However at work my anims render alot quicker - 24gb 4ghz x quad core machine with 2 terrabyte of storage and a 2048mb gfx card with some crazy blue liquid radiator on it! It renders much much quicker so i tend to render through that and have it upload the renders to my dropbox that i can pick up here.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
WingedBeast1968 is still here

Good work, but what I really want to see is Godzilla (reptile) morphing whilst running into Godzilla (the GT-R). That would be sweet.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedBeast1968 View Post
Good work, but what I really want to see is Godzilla (reptile) morphing whilst running into Godzilla (the GT-R). That would be sweet.

Lol good luck with that.

You saw my transformer r33gtr on YouTube? You might like that
Old 26th March 2012, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

love the rex video! need to make sound and. background and some advertising for yourself& car at the end and it will be golden! million hits for sure if u complete it. gtrs is no joke when it comes to viewers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

cheers mate - cant see it exactly blowing any ppl's minds but its fun to do
Old 26th March 2012, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
ah mate render times on my laptop can be painful but its 4 years old now - its still quite nippy.. core2duo 2.6 ghz with 3gb of ram and a decent gfx card but maya just cares about ram and processing power for rendering.

@1280 x 720 (my rendering for this project and others) its taking about 6 minutes a frame but i've got a fair few advanced shaders on the car - things that deal with soft reflections and refraction slow it down, plus final gather techniques also cost alot still.

However at work my anims render alot quicker - 24gb 4ghz x quad core machine with 2 terrabyte of storage and a 2048mb gfx card with some crazy blue liquid radiator on it! It renders much much quicker so i tend to render through that and have it upload the renders to my dropbox that i can pick up here.
6 mins a frame isn't so bad, my render would have been churned out at 2seconds per year on that old PC, assuming no powercuts or crashes, lol
Old 28th March 2012, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

took videos down for the moment - just rendering more shots off for the sequence

@Anders - yep 6mins isn't too bad tbh but i'm impatient and get fed up esp. when game engines are producing incredible results at 30fps heh
Old 28th March 2012, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
took videos down for the moment - just rendering more shots off for the sequence

@Anders - yep 6mins isn't too bad tbh but i'm impatient and get fed up esp. when game engines are producing incredible results at 30fps heh
Agh that's why I can't see it then doh!
Old 28th March 2012, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

New version going up soon.. one or two more shots to do an some shot lighting balancing
Old 28th March 2012, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
jimmy1234 is unaware they can edit their status

you mentioned you work in this field, do you work in the film or commercials industry, or even games?

i havent seen the vids as you took them down, but be cool to see something gtr and cg related...

i actually work in cg film myself, as it happens my uni project consisted of 2 r34gtr racing, wernt till 8years later im getting hold of a gtr, lol. (r32).
funny how these things work out.

Last edited by jimmy1234; 28th March 2012 at 06:09 PM..
jimmy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

over the years i've kinda worked across them all - lots of tv and commercials, a bit of films and some games. Games is where i currently reside. However its a bit fragmented and you often end up doing a small portion of a much greater product so i really enjoy getting my teeth into something from start to finish.

You can find a few bits of skyline related daftness across my channel...
anthonymcgrath - YouTube

sounds like your yooni project was a bit of a hoot

Yeah i'm on my 3rd skyline - gtst this time. Had a gtr in the past and that were fun but this gtst i've fitted a top mount turbo onto it and hopefully very soon a n2o kit too heh! Its become very much a tinker toy for me "how far before i melt it" kinda thing hehehe!