What to check on R35 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th April 2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
Question What to check on R35

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a used R35 around 09 model possibly 10 plate but I have no idea as to what to check other than the usual things like on any other car, so can any of clever chaps advise of any common faults or things to look out for... Much appriciated guys n gals

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chris1049 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Hi, Id have a search around on here. This question (understandably) gets asked an awful lot and has been answered an awful lot so you may not get a huge response.

Its all on here so have a good looksy.
Old 4th April 2012, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boyakasha is unaware they can edit their status

Maybe Mods could create a thread as a sticky, and list the usual pitfalls to look out for in a 2nd hand GT-R. Would certainly help newbies.

Old 4th April 2012, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
andrew186 is GTR crazy
Registered

Cars owned: R34 GTR, BMW M4, BMW F10 528i, Audi Q7, BMW F30 330e
usual things but pay particular attention to brakes and tyres as they are expensive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R35 GTR built by R-Engineering/AMS
Audi R8 V10 DMS Tuned | Larini 610bhp SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R
(635bhp/640lbft) SOLD
andrew186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fuldhat is the internet.

I would go for a 2010 model( march->)
Old 5th April 2012, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Cars owned: MY13 R8 V10 spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldhat View Post
That makes no sense. Some 59 plate cars have 12 in the vin. Duff advice
Old 5th April 2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
- Brakes (expensive)
- Tyres (expensive)
- service history
- salvaged e.g. written off.
- front windshield cracks (expensive)
- A/C functions

Past: R33 GTR sgl turbo
enshiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Why is that exactly?
Old 5th April 2012, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1049 View Post
Why is that exactly?
No reason. Got for a 2010 if it is in your budget. Get the newest, lowest mileage GTR you can afford and go from there. The update from the 09 to the 11's are more significant
Old 5th April 2012, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fuldhat is the internet.

All the good changes are from march 2010 models and forward, with a 12 in the vin. Thats it why.
Old 5th April 2012, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
All the good changes are from march 2010 models and forward, with a 12 in the vin. Thats it why.
All the good changes?..............

At least you cleared that up anyway

The reason to spend another 7-8k is for the good changes.... Ill sleep better tonight knowing about the good changes

Lots of 59 plate cars have the "good changes". You know, pre March 2010. Before the good changes appeared

Last edited by FLYNN; 5th April 2012 at 10:51 PM..
FLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
cerealuk is pondering his next move

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNN View Post
All the good changes?..............

At least you cleared that up anyway

The reason to spend another 7-8k is for the good changes.... Ill sleep better tonight knowing about the good changes

Lots of 59 plate cars have the "good changes". You know, pre March 2010. Before the good changes appeared
Lol so when I'm looking I just need to ask for one with the "good changes"
Old 6th April 2012, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sorry I'm still struggling here. I bought an 09, what goodies am I missing out on? Don't mention nav, didn't want, still don't want.

I am curious as to what the good changes are that are lacking in my life?
Old 6th April 2012, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
MARKEER35 is unaware they can edit their status

i have a 09 with litchfield stage 1 and My 12 gearbox upgrade ,runs like a dream with 30 k on the clock, mint paintwork, own plate etc at 40 k less than a new my12 !!!! fair enough going from a mk5 golf to a mk6 revised design /look and better materials, but 40k from 09 to My12 no brainer...do your homework and a 09 is everything you will ever need.
Old 6th April 2012, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fuldhat is the internet.

You can the changes on middlehurst webpage.

I did not want to copy them from there, so that is why I wrote the "good" changes. Maybe I should have written "what I think is important improvements" instead. And you should be sure to get those, if you find a car from march 2010 and forward.
Old 6th April 2012, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1049 View Post
Sorry I'm still struggling here. I bought an 09, what goodies am I missing out on? Don't mention nav, didn't want, still don't want.

I am curious as to what the good changes are that are lacking in my life?

Found this

After completely changing the paradigm of supercar design and performance in its first year of availability in North America, the affordable, “anyone, anytime, anywhere” Nissan GT-R returns for its sophomore year with a revised 2010 model featuring a number of minor updates – including five additional horsepower, new suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side impact air bags.

In addition to the change in output, which rises from 480 to 485hp, the significant change is the introduction of a new Transmission Control Module (TCM) program for the GT-R’s 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. The changes have been well documented and have come as a reaction to the monumental gearbox failures experienced by some customers using the launch control system on the original spec GT-R. Essentially, the changes are designed to optimize clutch engagement for improved drivability and improve vehicle acceleration with the car’s traction control system switched on.

Other changes to the car include an updated braking system with more rigid brake lines and brake calipers with both Nissan and Brembo labeling. The suspension also gets retuned with redesigned Bilstein shocks featuring a new valve body design and revised spring and damper rates.

So its much the same car and fairly cheap to add the same parts to a 2009 model.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
cerealuk is pondering his next move

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREG View Post
Found this

After completely changing the paradigm of supercar design and performance in its first year of availability in North America, the affordable, “anyone, anytime, anywhere” Nissan GT-R returns for its sophomore year with a revised 2010 model featuring a number of minor updates – including five additional horsepower, new suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side impact air bags.

In addition to the change in output, which rises from 480 to 485hp, the significant change is the introduction of a new Transmission Control Module (TCM) program for the GT-R’s 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. The changes have been well documented and have come as a reaction to the monumental gearbox failures experienced by some customers using the launch control system on the original spec GT-R. Essentially, the changes are designed to optimize clutch engagement for improved drivability and improve vehicle acceleration with the car’s traction control system switched on.

Other changes to the car include an updated braking system with more rigid brake lines and brake calipers with both Nissan and Brembo labeling. The suspension also gets retuned with redesigned Bilstein shocks featuring a new valve body design and revised spring and damper rates.

So its much the same car and fairly cheap to add the same parts to a 2009 model.
Cool thanks that makes the decision easier :-) 09/59 it is then. It's going straight to litchfields for stage 1 or 2 and software upgrade once I get it anyway :-)
Old 6th April 2012, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

I'm taking mine to trl or litchfield for the good changes
Old 6th April 2012, 10:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

look for cracks on the lsd/transmission case on early cars. have dealer see its flicker data to see if it was abused or launched many times. lc2 took care of most of the issues with earlier cars and launching but if its been in excess you may or may not want to take a chance.
all gtrs could have an issue with the seal's, sensors or circlips etc...keep that in mind.

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Julesthecat is aware that they can modify their status but just doesn't want to

Also check that the instrument cluster lights up fully. The only fix on offer is a new cluster which is a £1,200+ item. I needed it done on my 09 non-nav premium but was fixed under warranty.
Excessive "clicking" from front wheels under full lock may also occur but can be easily fixed by a good clean of the back of the wheels and a little copper grease between the wheel and the hub.
Rear brake pads can rattle at low speed but can be also easily fixed with a little tweaking to the retaining clips.
Other than these niggles I've been spared any major issues on my 30k mile 2009 so far.