GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   3500 miles + nail in tyre = ANNOYED!! (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/163341-3500-miles-nail-tyre-annoyed.html)

grahamc 7th April 2012 02:13 PM

3500 miles + nail in tyre = ANNOYED!!

So annoying... 3500miles (road only, no track) and a nail in the rear tyre. Warning light came on the other day, said the tyre was 3 psi down compared to the others (26 VS 29psi). So over to KwikFit....... and typically a nail!

Screw is pretty much in the middle of the tyre, but the guy at KwikFit said they could not repair the runflats - is that right?

Now, I was always thinking that I wanted to change the wheels on the GTR and go down in size and some toyo r888s, but was not expecting it so quickly.

Time to go do some research on wheel and tyre options - any thoughts, places to buy, etc would be great.

Nabster 7th April 2012 02:19 PM

nothing worse than that. Mind you I got a puncture in one my rears after only my secound day of owning my GT-R! I've gone down the Bridgestone route.

AndyBrew 7th April 2012 02:26 PM

I got mine repaired in north London drove from Leicester to get it done, so you can get them repaired. I'll see if I can find the thread.

AndyBrew 7th April 2012 02:29 PM

TyreMax in South Woodford :)

David.Yu 7th April 2012 02:33 PM

Nonsense about not being able to repair runflats. They're just trying to sell you a new tyre!

Anders_R35 7th April 2012 02:37 PM

I read a post where someone had used a Dynaplug. Not sure I'd want a repaired tyre though, if the repair failed while I was on track it could be the end of me.

Anders

grahamc 7th April 2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabster (Post 1607468)
nothing worse than that. Mind you I got a puncture in one my rears after only my secound day of owning my GT-R! I've gone down the Bridgestone route.

Now that would suck!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyBrew (Post 1607471)
I got mine repaired in north London drove from Leicester to get it done, so you can get them repaired. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Thanks, will have a look

Quote:

Originally Posted by David.Yu (Post 1607473)
Nonsense about not being able to repair runflats. They're just trying to sell you a new tyre!

I figured so - especially when they said they could not get the dunlop, so recommended the bridgestone.

Where can I go to get the repair done? Im south of London, near Redhill.

grahamc 7th April 2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders_R35 (Post 1607474)
I read a post where someone had used a Dynaplug. Not sure I'd want a repaired tyre though, if the repair failed while I was on track it could be the end of me.

Anders

Yeah, I saw that thread, but that was because of the size of the damage, this is a relatively small screw, near the centre of the tyre and looks pretty straight in (no angle).

Thats the other thing I am thinking about... but I am very tempted to buy a smaller set of wheels and r888s for the car for the track. Still trying to decide.

AndyBrew 7th April 2012 02:46 PM

Just be careful where you do go because they can be a bitch to get off and on and you don't want your wheels demolishing in the process.

As said I got mine repaired at TyreMax in South Woodford just a short trip round the M25 for you, I went on a Friday afternoon from Leicester it took my 5.5 hours to get home LOL!

AK-500 7th April 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamc (Post 1607479)
Yeah, I saw that thread, but that was because of the size of the damage, this is a relatively small screw, near the centre of the tyre and looks pretty straight in (no angle).

I had the same thing, straight in the middle, all the way.
Got it fixed near slough about 4/5 months ago.

WingedBeast1968 7th April 2012 04:09 PM

Dynaplug kit from Amazon. 10 minutes. :)

Karls 7th April 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedBeast1968 (Post 1607524)
Dynaplug kit from Amazon. 10 minutes. :)

+1!

Couldn't be simpler. :thumbsup:

grahamc 7th April 2012 05:52 PM

Cool - still got to find somewhere to take it off and put it back on

enshiu 7th April 2012 05:53 PM

I have repaired mine puncture at KF why are they persistant?!

Chris956 7th April 2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamc (Post 1607464)
So annoying... 3500miles (road only, no track) and a nail in the rear tyre. Warning light came on the other day, said the tyre was 3 psi down compared to the others (26 VS 29psi). So over to KwikFit....... and typically a nail!

Screw is pretty much in the middle of the tyre, but the guy at KwikFit said they could not repair the runflats - is that right?

Now, I was always thinking that I wanted to change the wheels on the GTR and go down in size and some toyo r888s, but was not expecting it so quickly.

Time to go do some research on wheel and tyre options - any thoughts, places to buy, etc would be great.

Get a dynaplug and repair it without the need to take the tyre off the wheel. The other reason people like kwik fit will not repair runflats is that these tyres are a proper PITA to get off and on and the little they charge for the repair is not worth the risk or effort to do it.
Its not the end of the world so dont panic !

Wouter 7th April 2012 06:57 PM

I had a nail in my semi slick when i just picked up the car after i just bought it!

18" R888 are still affordable!

grahamc 7th April 2012 07:42 PM

Will have a look at the dynaplugs

The 18" r888s are affordable, its the new set of wheels, plus all the other parts I want :)

thistle 7th April 2012 08:57 PM

Another vote for Dynaplug. My repair is going strong after ages and I can't remember now which wheel it was because the pressure holding performance is unchanged. But I needed to take the wheel off and hit the Dynaplug really hard repeatedly with a hammer to get it in LOL. These tyres are that tough.

grahamc 7th April 2012 10:00 PM

this kit?
DYNAPLUG TUBELESS TYRE REPAIR KIT FOR MOTORCYCLES, CARS, ATV'S, GOLF CARTS ETC.: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

thistle 7th April 2012 10:03 PM

Yes, bit cheaper on Ebay.