Running rich and running out of ideas! - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 12:23 AM  
mold is aware he can edit his status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Running rich and running out of ideas!

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you guys have air care, smog, or any kind of emissions type testing or not, but I am having some problems passing.

So, my engine has been rebuilt and run in already. When I got the car it ran fine and passed the testing no problem. Now that it is rebuilt and all back together it is running rich and wont pass. It is running at 12.5:1 AFR at idle and around the same at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM. I can't drive it on the road until I can pass the test so im not sure what the AFR is while driving or under boost. When held at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM i get a lot of poping from the exhaust. Seems like unburnt fuel exploding.

As for mods, it has:

Mines chipped ECU
Apex'i intake
Blitz cat back exhaust
stock dump pipes
unknown aftermarket y pipe

Things that were added during rebuild:

Wiseco Pistons
Eagle Rods
New OEM Crank
New OEM Valves
New Timing belt
2860-5 Turbos
Tomei Head Gasket
New Injector Seals
NGK Spark Plugs
Innovate LC-1 Wideband

I have checked timing, coil packs, vacuum leaks, coolant temp sensor, TPS, MAFS, fuel injectors are firing, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, engine compression and the O2 sensors.I have also tried swapping the cat out to a known good one and it only makes it marginally better.

Is there anything I have missed? Plugs are new and not fouled. No codes in the ECU. I am just about out of ideas now. I have yet to test the CAS, ignitor/PTU and knock sensors. Could the knock sensors cause the car to run rich?

Will be buying Injector Dynamics ID1000s and nistune or a vi-pec ECU ASAP but would like to get the car running properly befor I start adding new parts.

Thanks for any help and insight.
Old 10th April 2012, 01:11 AM  
xxfr is hibernating

Errr, the Mine's ecu is not mapped for the new turbos so the Air/fuel ratios would be all over the place now.

You need to get an aftermarket ecu now.

That's what me thinks.
Old 10th April 2012, 01:18 AM  

The new turbos should not effect idle. They would only make a difference while boosting. I do agree that I will need a new ecu once i get it running with any kind of boost though.

Old 10th April 2012, 08:33 AM  
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Stock cams?

Checked the cambelt alignment?
Old 10th April 2012, 08:53 PM  

Yes stock cams. The cam belt was aligned properly when put together. I triple checked it before the first time starting the car after the rebuilt.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:15 PM  
gtr-loz is cold

It's prob always been running rich as you have previously have had no wideband fitted aftermarket ecus are known to run rich and the turbos will effect the afr as you are going to ball bearing turbos so have less resistance and back pressure
Old 11th April 2012, 03:28 PM  
freakazoid3 is a longtime addict
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Try an OEM ecu first if both your lambda sensors are known to be 100% working corectly
Do they fluctuate nice and steady like they should once heated up?
Old 12th April 2012, 01:09 AM  

It wasn't running rich enough to fail the E-Test before the rebuild. I wouldn't think the difference in restriction between BB turbos and journal bearing turbos would cause the car to fail an E-Test by as much as it is failing. That being said I'm no expert and could very well be wrong about that.

As far as the O2 sensors go, I tested them with a rather slow meter but they still seem to be switching fairly quickly. I have just ordered a consult cable and software so will hopefully know more soon.

Will probably grab a used stock ECU to test with and then just run Nistune in that. I assume Nistune will be more then enough for my goals with the car.