nip speeding advice - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th April 2012, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
maxxwaxx is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

nip speeding advice

well after nearly 3 yrs ownership i decided to book car in with Litchfields at the end of the month for a few little upgrades.
Then a few days later, i was driving on country roads between manchester and chesterfield, when i came upon a long queue of traffic. in front of me was a porsche boxster then about 6 cars and a lorry. well 3 cars in front of the boxster turned off giving me the chance to fill the gap. so accelerating in 2nd and 3rd i passed the boxster only to spot a bloody camera van in a layby a few 100metres ahead.
I slowed but was certain he would have clocked me if operational, at what speed god only knows, we all know where 3rd gear can take us !!!
This occurred on sunday 25th March and ive still not received n.i.p.

i believe they have 14 days to send out starting the day after the event, so the 26th march. Is the 14 days, 14 days to receipt of nip or 14 days for them to send out.

Hopefully if ive heard nowt by friday i assume i should be ok and should start looking for to my visit to Litchfields again.

just wondered what people thought / advice welcome

Cheers
Old 11th April 2012, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
MIKEGTR is rolling on double deuces
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Midnight Purple R33 GTR
U have to receive it within 14 days but I'm not sure on the rule regarding bank holidays. U should be in the clear come monday
Old 11th April 2012, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
sidepipe is not a euphemism
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxwaxx View Post
i believe they have 14 days to send out starting the day after the event, so the 26th march. Is the 14 days, 14 days to receipt of nip or 14 days for them to send out.

Hopefully if ive heard nowt by friday i assume i should be ok and should start looking for to my visit to Litchfields again.

just wondered what people thought / advice welcome

Cheers
They have to ensure that, barring circumstances beyond their control, the NIP will have reached the last known registered keeper address within 14 days. I.e. if they posted first class after 13 days and it didn't get there for another couple, that still counts as fine. As long as your V5 is up to date and contains your address ( or at least one that you get the post at ) then you should be safe after 15 days or so.

Also, worth noting that the cameras have a pretty high zoom and also have to be held steady on a point on the car for a finite ( but short ) amount of time, so if it was a short burst during which you overtook, its probably not that likely that they caught you... thought that's obviously pure speculation on my part.

Old 11th April 2012, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
dippa is R34 GTR V Spec 2

Cars owned: R34 GTR V Spec 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepipe View Post
They have to ensure that, barring circumstances beyond their control, the NIP will have reached the last known registered keeper address within 14 days. I.e. if they posted first class after 13 days and it didn't get there for another couple, that still counts as fine. As long as your V5 is up to date and contains your address ( or at least one that you get the post at ) then you should be safe after 15 days or so.

Also, worth noting that the cameras have a pretty high zoom and also have to be held steady on a point on the car for a finite ( but short ) amount of time, so if it was a short burst during which you overtook, its probably not that likely that they caught you... thought that's obviously pure speculation on my part.

I got flashed Saturday had the letter in the post the following Monday they don't waste no time
Old 11th April 2012, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
sidepipe is not a euphemism
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippa View Post
I got flashed Saturday had the letter in the post the following Monday they don't waste no time
So how much time do they waste then?

( Sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 11th April 2012, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
nick the tubman is feeling very pleased !
Registered

Cars owned: R35 GTR `10. R33 GTR v-spec Road & Track. R33 GTR Race Car
stealth tax.... far easier to catch speeders than sort real crime. arse!!!!!!
hope you dont get done chap....
Old 11th April 2012, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Anpr van?
Old 11th April 2012, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTRDan is unaware they can edit their status

Nip

The nip has to be issued within 14 days of the offence. Technically you could recieve it months later, but as long as the date of the nip is within 14 days, its still legal. If you have been caught, there usually very quick to come through.
Old 11th April 2012, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
SteveRaspberry is They don't call me SteveRasberry for nothing you know ...
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Land Rover Discovery
I think the definitive answers and solutions (sometimes!) can be found here:

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

For info, mum or dad got flashed in my Golf a while back. If you get the nip through the post asking for nomination, request the photo evidence. if its a bit dodgy (ie taken from the rear for example) they sometimes will drop it if the driver cannot be clearly identified. They dropped the one against the gold because of precisely this reason.

Good luck with it at any rate and have a look at the website above. Some useful info on there
Old 14th April 2012, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
maxxwaxx is unaware they can edit their status

Well its 3 weeks tomorrow, so im omptimistically thinking im ok. I hope so, so i can now look forward again to end of the month and my trip to Litchfields