GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Why hide registration? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/163628-why-hide-registration.html)

WingedBeast1968 14th April 2012 12:58 PM

Why hide registration?

In online photos of your GTR, when we show our reg's to hundreds and hundreds of people every time we drive em?

Especially since the wisdom is to distinguish your vehicle, for photographic evidence, in additional ways, just in case some tow rag clones the index number.
:chairshot

Mookistar 14th April 2012 02:04 PM

it's becasue if someone wants to clone a DMG car, they can simply look for a picture instead of chancing upon one in the street.

Also, if you have a nice car, for a couple of quid, the DVLA will give out your address.

CT17 14th April 2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mookistar (Post 1611089)
it's becasue if someone wants to clone a DMG car, they can simply look for a picture instead of chancing upon one in the street.

Also, if you have a nice car, for a couple of quid, the DVLA will give out your address.

The 2nd reason is the one that I don't like.
That's why there has never been a pic of mine on here showing the reg number in full.

saucyboy 14th April 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Absolutely spot on mate. It's a tactic used by minor crim's (Say running around in a stolen car for a while on your plate that they took off a pic and thus not getting troubled by the growing number of ANPR's) all the way up to the big boys that want to make a dirty car (Stolen car) clean in order to use it for a specific job.

I get the OP's point re everyone see's your plate when your out etc but as has been said the leg work is now done via the internet. So much easier than driving around looking for a similar car. Apart from that they will want one out of the area in order to reduce the chance of a chance meeting with the other car.

grahamc 14th April 2012 10:44 PM

Just like "gone in 60 seconds".... What is the point of paying the DVLA for your address? What is the legal reasoning??

WingedBeast1968 15th April 2012 12:33 AM

It would have to be a good reason, and probably from the law.
I used this service once, to find out the address of an Audi A2, because I intended to write to the owner and ask if they would like to sell the car's index number.

Request denied. :(

Don't worry, they don't give details out for asking. They just send the cheque back, with a nice letter.

CT17 15th April 2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedBeast1968 (Post 1611386)
Don't worry, they don't give details out for asking. They just send the cheque back, with a nice letter.

Unless you know someone working for a private parking/clamping firm.
Then they'll happily give them the details. It's not difficult.

paul creed 15th April 2012 09:41 PM

A lot of photos online are of cars not necessarily owned by the photographer, so out of courtesy the reg's are blanked. I do it most of the time.

ian turbo 15th April 2012 10:28 PM

I do it for the 2nd reason. Don't want anyone to get my address .

Anders_R35 15th April 2012 11:49 PM

Another trick the scum bags use - geo tagging in photos. How many of you have location based serviced enabled in your smartphone, snapping photos of your pride and joy after a wash parked outside your house - then upload said photo to the Internet with embedded GPS location for the scum bag to read?

Anders

Jags 15th April 2012 11:52 PM

^^How do you know if it's enabled and how do you turn it off?

martini 16th April 2012 04:28 AM

I can't post links, but just google "disable geotag photo iphone" or "android", or "windows phone 7".

r33gtsman 16th April 2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Here in Sweden the equivalent of the DVLA 'Transportstyrelsen' will give you the name of the owner, where he/she lives etc. for the price of an SMS. Just text in the Reg No and hey presto all the info you need comes back in a few seconds :nervous:

You can even find out from another website what said person earns in a year if you wanted to !

Scary stuff here and it's all legal :nervous: