Speeding - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th April 2012, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
u116371 is wanting to go faster
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Nissan GTR
Speeding

Last night I get clocked doing an average of 42mph in a 30mph limit. Was 9.30pm last night and didn't notice the BMW behind me. I was complemented for negotiating a roundabout carefully but then floored it and then breaked producing an average speed of 42mph.

Its a dual carriageway in front of a college and there were about 3 cars on the road. One of the other cars felt the need to follow us and then say to the police they would give a statement about my driving!

Unreal, I was revving it up through 1st and 2nd but nothing crazy at all. The way the police were going on you think I had done 120mph. It is getting referred to the procurator fiscal so need to find out what he going to do. Already on 6 points so not happy. 3 for traffic lights and 3 for a mobile phone offence. Never slept last night at all.

They also started saying about trying to give me an ASBO or something as apparently i was revving the car although how they work that out I don't know. Its just had a titan exhaust and downpipes. I can't really remember what they said as I was in one of those oh shit moments.

Course the car is going to look like its travelling fast when its going to hit 30mph in 1.5 seconds.
Old 14th April 2012, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
majestic is attending new kent meet
GTROC Member

How much do you want for the car?
Old 14th April 2012, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic View Post
How much do you want for the car?
I might just garage it for the length of the ban!

Old 14th April 2012, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nabster is in need of a Nando's
GTROC Member

Get yourself a good traffic defence lawyer and fight it. I'm in a similar situation at present. Can give you a good road traffic lawyer if you require his services based in Hamilton.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
KingOfTheGT-R is Obeying speed limits :D

I had something very similar happen to me today actually, was driving down a 30-40 meter road which was dead empty so I floored it, after parking up an old lady made a remark about it and gave a bad look. Hopefully there's no grassing involved
Old 14th April 2012, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
sw20GTS is feeling the need for more powerrr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Currently Audi Q7 and GTR Black Edition
Saw to hear about this but you really need to be careful around 30 mph limit areas. It's 30 for a reason...

When you say you got clocked did the police show you the video in their car?
Old 14th April 2012, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
thunderball is Litchfield stage 4.25 Custom Ecutek v5
GTROC Member

I reckon the bark will be worse than the bite - they see the car and feel the need to put you through it. You may get points but would doubt it would be more than 3 - no consolation I know.

I have to say its best to keep a lid on it in town/built up areas, the car will attract attention especially with your exhaust system!
Old 14th April 2012, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
do my lepton abuse in other than 30 limits
Old 14th April 2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
GlastoVeteran is 7.5 years in and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by u116371 View Post
Already on 6 points so not happy. 3 for traffic lights and 3 for a mobile phone offence.
Sorry but I've got no sympathy for anyone that uses a mobile whilst driving.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
MIKEGTR is rolling on double deuces
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Midnight Purple R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlastoVeteran View Post
Whats the difference in that and someone smoking or changing the radio station, or in fact eating or drinking coffee, after all if I drop my phone in my lap it's not going to burn!!
Old 14th April 2012, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlastoVeteran View Post
I was driving into my street and I got a text after 10pm at night and picked up phone and checked. Was about 100 yds from my car park and the police were obviously home for a cuppa. Just took the 3 points but should have fought it as there was no calls incoming. I thought I was being compliant and I might get a warning but no mercy.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20GTS View Post
Saw to hear about this but you really need to be careful around 30 mph limit areas. It's 30 for a reason...

When you say you got clocked did the police show you the video in their car?
i asked. they said they had to download it and don't have access to it. It would only be available in court. The 42mph average thing was up on the monitor. You never know whether to believe them or not.

I wish they would catch some real criminals instead of targeting minor breaks in the law. I would get less hassle for shop lifting or assault.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
majestic is attending new kent meet
GTROC Member

If engine is running its a nick
Old 14th April 2012, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
sw20GTS is feeling the need for more powerrr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Currently Audi Q7 and GTR Black Edition
Quote:
i asked. they said they had to download it and don't have access to it. It would only be available in court. The 42mph average thing was up on the monitor. You never know whether to believe them or not.

I wish they would catch some real criminals instead of targeting minor breaks in the law. I would get less hassle for shop lifting or assault.
edit: nmind I've reread the original post... average of 43mph in a 30...doesn't sound too good to me. I thought it was caught at 43mph... Anyway we all make mistakes and I hope you will learn from this one... lucky no one else was hurt etc.

Last edited by sw20GTS; 14th April 2012 at 08:11 PM..
sw20GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 08:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
A comment quite often made by people being caught for minor offences.
But the fact is that you were averaging 40% over the speed limit. Does that make you a real criminal?

No offence, but the problem is that if the police stuck to just chasing people committing major crimes loads of people would be out committing minor crimes all the time as they knew they'd never be caught.
Look at the London riots to see what people do when the think the police are busy and you can get away with theft and minor crime.

A nice comment if you are caught, but the system just can't work like that. The streets would be in chaos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
A comment quite often made by people being caught for minor offences.
But the fact is that you were averaging 40% over the speed limit. Does that make you a real criminal?

No offence, but the problem is that if the police stuck to just chasing people committing major crimes loads of people would be out committing minor crimes all the time as they knew they'd never be caught.
Look at the London riots to see what people do when the think the police are busy and you can get away with theft and minor crime.

A nice comment if you are caught, but the system just can't work like that. The streets would be in chaos.
Yes i did an average of 43 in a 30. I have broken the law I accept that. I just think it sometimes harsh with the repercussions in terms of insurance premiums etc. However, the motorist is an easy target fact. I teach personal safety to a lot of police officers and the majority of them are incapable of dealing with aggression. The motorist is by far the person who will comply the easiest. Very rarely kick off and offer them easy quotas.

I was also about 30 seconds drive from a motorway on a dual carriageway in full control of the car. The chance of any accident was slim to none. I don't know why the police can't give you a bit of a ticking off.
Old 14th April 2012, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
I - for one- am sympathetic.

Over the years I've seen thousands of drivers exceed 30 limits on dual carriageways at night when they are empty. Absolutely no danger to anyone whatsoever and no need to prosecute anybody.

I've also seen county councils introduce many daft 30 limits on stretches of dual carriage where it is inappropriate and overly slow for about 95% of its traffic cycle and simply delays road users from making sensible progress. These are usually town bypass roads where the speed limit is set for rush hour.

I like to think the police generally exercise their discretion in most circumstances but obviously they decided to nick you here, bad luck. Can't help but think a flash burbling Skyline sealed the deal.

I am inclined to agree with you that the risk of an accident was absent. Not even potential for an accident, but actually the certain absence of the risk of an accident.

Roll on networked speed limits that properly and reasonably account for the prevailing driving conditions.

Last edited by Aerodramatics; 15th April 2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: no need generally
Aerodramatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 09:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Steveline is [Too Long]
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R34 GTR V-SPEC UK --- BMW 740i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEGTR View Post
Whats the difference in that and someone smoking or changing the radio station, or in fact eating or drinking coffee, after all if I drop my phone in my lap it's not going to burn!!

Agreed, has been my thought since the rule change, problem now is, you will get nicked for drinking a bottle of water whilst behind the wheel! It truly has become a Nanny state!... But were all much better off... Right?!

Motorists are an essay target, as if you can afford to own, and run, and pay for all the tax on any car, let alone a 60+k one with a loud exhaust.
Then you can afford a hefty fine! The points made about the petty thieves are also true, and with regards to the riots country wide, this was clearly the governments way of rounding up those scum of the earth morons in an elaborate "Pied-piper" manner if you like, so as to have tabs on them come June/July! So they are trying to do something.

Dosent it just make you laugh though, when reading those holier than thou comments about how you should be punished, because they have never ever strayed above the speed limit, or turn around to bollock the kids in the back seat! Recorded a song from the radio, not separated there recyceling, etc.etc.

trust me you wouldn't want to be in the, grass on your next door neighbour (who also happens to be your brother!) culture, a certain generation of sausage loving sheep on the continent have gotten them selves into!!

Lets all just chill out a wee bit, and develop a lot more patients for others errors of judgement! Giving it a boot-full off the roundabout, doesn't make you a criminal, imo.

As for the OP, probably best to keep your personal fcuk ups to yourself, what did you expect?... Sympathy?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steveline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 09:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
Lol. Well said

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone' springs to mind.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

A fine I can handle its the points totting up I can't. Im on the road a lot and should know better as I'm risking my livelihood. I guess I just wanted to vent. And as for sympathy well a little would be nice!!!!