GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Milltek sound options-Litchfield stage 2 (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/164403-milltek-sound-options-litchfield-stage-2-a.html)

S14 3rd May 2012 10:29 AM

Milltek sound options-Litchfield stage 2

Hi all

Looking at Litchfield stage 2, Iain says they have 3 options on sound now for the milltek exhausts..normal, race and race plus

Does anyone have any experience with any of these..I have read up that the normal can actually quieten the sound in conjunction with a y pipe. I have a GTC titanium 90mm y pipe and love the sound currently, so do not mind going a bit louder but not quieter..

Looks like it may be race or race plus..

Any experiences?

Aerodramatics 3rd May 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S14 (Post 1620719)
Hi all

Looking at Litchfield stage 2, Iain says they have 3 options on sound now for the milltek exhausts..normal, race and race plus

Does anyone have any experience with any of these..I have read up that the normal can actually quieten the sound in conjunction with a y pipe. I have a GTC titanium 90mm y pipe and love the sound currently, so do not mind going a bit louder but not quieter.

Any experiences?

I've got a Litchfield Stage II with normal Milltek. The Performance is mighty and throttle response is sharp in race mode and high boost map, although the high boost map lags by up to a second or so in other modes.

Sounds wise, I'm fairly non-plussed. It's a bit "noiser" than OEM, but adds a low tone boominess in the 60-70ish bracket in top gear in the cockpit. Don't like this at all. I was assured they'd be no boominess, but it's not the case after fitment. Back pressure feeling is quite discomforting. My solution is to change speeds and tone!

I'm told it sounds quite fruity from the outside, but from inside windows up or down it's pretty tame and unexciting. It doesn't provide a thrilling sound upgrade at all in my humble opinion.

Also don't drive away from the garage until you've checked your baffles, the exhaust I was provided with has a misaligned baffle causing only three exhaust tips of the four to exhaust. As soon as I use boost, three blacken with soot and the far right one stays clean. It doesn't affect function only aesthetics and just looks odd.

Really it's a matter for Milltek and Litchfield quality control, rather than customers to spot and request change, imho. It shouldn't make it on to customer cars.

Iain says its a manufacturing defect and that Milltek will replace under guarantee, but living a good 450 miles round trip away there is no economic reason to undertake the expense and wasted miles of returning it to Iain for this fault alone. So I'll put up with it instead untill my plan comes to fruition to get it put right at its next upgrade with Iain. Probably a stage IV with suspension/cooler/duct and brakes, subject to investment performance :chuckle:

Worth checking the dB levels of the race systems for track use + your own tolerance levels! For me, the GTC Titanium zorsts + Akrapovich's sound leagues better. Sorry Milltek ;)

The Ecutek OBDII cable is due out imminently, so that's a bonus when it comes. Online tuning from datalogging, LC4 upgrades and more become possible. Can't wait, must wait!

If I were you I'd get the Ecutek or Cobb tune but keep the GTC pipes!

SamboGrove 3rd May 2012 11:15 AM

Personally i think the Milltek exhausts are a little tame. Although the new race plus one (76mm system) does sound better on the vid Iain showed me. Not heard it in real life though.

The 90mm race system he has with the downpipes on his demo sounds mean though!

Having listened to a few different exhausts i think i've made my mind up of the 90mm Titan system from GTC. Just need to decide if it needs the downpipes as well :smokin:

EAndy 3rd May 2012 11:22 AM

I hated my Miltek on the M3 but loved it on the RS4 so I have mixed feelings on Miltek from what I've heard on the GT-R's I've seen I've not been impressed. I need to make an exhaust choice soon but Miltek just doesn't appeal to me.

Litchfield 3rd May 2012 11:23 AM

Aeromotive,
I'm sorry that you are less than happy with your Milltek exhaust :( The sooting up of 3 pipes rather than 4 was a batch issue but out of the 200+ systems we have sold it was a very small percentage. It is also not something that can be spotted quickly when the car is with us as the colour/soot will build over time but it could also explain your resonance issue. Milltek will replace any faulty system over its lifetime so you can have this swapped free of charge at any time.

Fortunately most customers are very happy with their Milltek and we regularly swap the system onto GTRs where others are to noisy and boomy to use day to day. However noise and what a car should sound like are very subjective so we now stock 8 different types of Milltek system (6xNormal and 2x90mm) so we can tailor it to the customer's tastes :) We also offer 3 types of tail trim.

We will soon be uploading videos to our website which will hopefully show the different noise levels.

Regards

Iain

TREG 3rd May 2012 11:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I love the Miltek as its not too loud for long journeys

john beesla 3rd May 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with any of these..I have read up that the normal can actually quieten the sound in conjunction with a y pipe. I have a GTC titanium 90mm y pipe and love the sound currently, so do not mind going a bit louder but not quieter..

Any experiences?

Hello mate i have the same dilemma, the y-pipe sounds good but i want loud i want it to absolutely roar:chuckle:
I have spoken to Iain and he spoke about the race and race+ and reckoned the race version sounds really good without alot of motorway droning and the other very loud to an extent people have had them removed!!!
Its a case of preference i guess, i only use my car occasionally taking it out for a blast on nice dry sunny day's and when i do i want a real thrill so im going loud!!! not worried about droning its a supercar when did u last see a quiet ferrari or lambo:chuckle:

Anders_R35 3rd May 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Hi all

Any experiences?

If you like the sound of your current exhaust, keep it. Litchfield could tweak the map to work with the Titan and there will be nothing in it powerwise.

Anders

Aerodramatics 3rd May 2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litchfield (Post 1620742)
Aeromotive,
I'm sorry that you are less than happy with your Milltek exhaust :( The sooting up of 3 pipes rather than 4 was a batch issue but out of the 200+ systems we have sold it was a very small percentage. It is also not something that can be spotted quickly when the car is with us as the colour/soot will build over time but it could also explain your resonance issue. Milltek will replace any faulty system over its lifetime so you can have this swapped free of charge at any time.

Fortunately most customers are very happy with their Milltek and we regularly swap the system onto GTRs where others are to noisy and boomy to use day to day. However noise and what a car should sound like are very subjective so we now stock 8 different types of Milltek system (6xNormal and 2x90mm) so we can tailor it to the customer's tastes :) We also offer 3 types of tail trim.

We will soon be uploading videos to our website which will hopefully show the different noise levels.

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain,

thanks for your comments. Glad to hear Milltek have it sorted now. Overall I'm very happy with your tune and service, but thought I'd pass on my experience of the Mliltek system. I understand my zorst is a bad apple in a good barrel, and interested to read the fault might be causing the drone too. For the sake of 20 miles of spirited driving and a check I'd've spotted it before I headed back. I appreciate it was a new issue for you at the time and you we're not on the look-out for it. If I'd had 10 for everyone who's told me there's something wrong with my exhaust, I'd've been back down to yours for an upgrade months ago!

Sound-wise I agree, beauty is in the ear of the listener, but for me my Milltek is a bit under-whelming. I changed because the OEM system is so Mondeo and the Milltek is a definite improvement over this, but not as fruity as the GTC Titan or Akrapovic systems I've heard on club members cars. Not heard the Milltek race systems with or without downpipes yet, so can't comment. I wanted something that produces "supercar thrill". The titanium systems make a good fist of this, but the steelies less so; it is only a V6 they are working with, so I don't expect miracles.

Horses for course, as you say! The soot thing is just a niggle, nothing more. I won't lose sleep over it; provided I'm not losing any power?! :chuckle: If you have owt new exhaust wise next time I bring my car to you, I'd be pleased to hear it. :wavey:

Steve 3rd May 2012 03:04 PM

When I got me car one of the first things I did with Iain’s supervision was fit the Miltek Y pipe on the standard exhaust - it sounded absolutely lovely going through all the Tunnels on the Alpine tour !! HOWEVER, as I sue my car for track days, I was marginal for the noise police at Bedford and so upgraded to the 90mm SS complete Miltek system, not as much noise but more POWER !!!! Silent and deadly!!

Also, posted on here about my finding of the 2 systems

Litchfield 3rd May 2012 03:11 PM

Aerodramatics, when you are ready to come in you can try the other options and choose which you prefer free under warranty.

Regards

Iain

EAndy 3rd May 2012 05:24 PM

August time it when I'm back for next service at Litchfield and I plan to move from at least Stage 1 to 2 so hopefully will have time to hear and read reviews on these new options by then :)

S14 3rd May 2012 05:41 PM

I may just save the pennies and go for a stage 4 instead..

The only issue is that everytime you add something eg injectors/intake/exhaust you have to pay the extra to get it mapped again...

I heard there is a cable coming out so you can diy which would be great..

I am not convinced going from a stage 1 to stage 2 is really worth the hassle and having read through the reviews seems like it isnt too much of a jump in power..If anything the exhaust note becomes quieter..

I think either a stage 1 and stick with that or if you are hankering after more power a stage 4..the in betweens are not worth the outlay

Anyone with a stage 2 (who went from a stage 1) disagree and think it is a significant step forward?

Litchfield 3rd May 2012 05:50 PM

S14 you'll find you have to for a new map when fit different intakes and injectors with the other solutions as well. Straight to stage 4 is a more cost effective route :)

vxrcymru 3rd May 2012 05:50 PM

I have the miltek race version and their non res y pipe. The miltek is aimed at those who don't want to raise the dead when doing 30 through town or want to keep the car track legal. I've gone down pipe full decat and the system still sounds tame when tootling along but spunds like a fighter jet on full chat but still very little anoyuing booming when cruzing on the motorway. I've had very loud 115 db plus on evos and ok the sound great when flooring it and ideal if you want to avoid having to make conversation with the wife on long journeys because you can't hear a Damned thingj LOL

Takamo 3rd May 2012 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got mine booked with Ian in a couple of weeks and what I've heard and seen from guys who have dealings with him they all say he's a great honest guy who will advise you best, and I have seen the difference between stage 1 and 2 and it is a great leap more than you would think, the car feels much more responsive and mid range felt much more stronger

grahamc 3rd May 2012 06:26 PM

This is something I have been thinking about for some time and I still can't make up my mind.

How much of a change does just the rear section of the exhaust make?
Is it really necessary to change it all?
Surely it's just down pipes and Ypipe? Thats where the biggest bottlenecks are. How much power difference is there if you already have the downpipes and Ypipe to downpipes, Ypipe and rear section?

Personally I like the Ypipe only sound, a little droning at 65-72ish but at 75 it's perfect.

Yes you have to pay for changes to ecutek map. Same for cobbs. Also keep in mind that the off-the-shelf maps for the cobbs are very safe and don't run much boost. So power will not compare to custom stage 2 maps.

S14 3rd May 2012 06:34 PM

Iain mentioned that for a stage 2 the boost is increased to 1.25 bar from the 1.1 on a stage 1..unsure what that equtes to on the road in terms of pull and grin factor..im sure there are other factors that are changed too..

If it is significant from a stage 1 then that might be the natural end point for many in terms of useable power..

Standard to stage 1 is the biggest increase you will feel for sure..

Iain would you say stage 1 to 2 is a bigger increase then stage 2 to 4 in terms of subjective feeling and cost effectiveness?

grahamc 3rd May 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S14 (Post 1620920)
Iain mentioned that for a stage 2 the boost is increased to 1.25 bar from the 1.1 on a stage 1..unsure what that equtes to on the road in terms of pull and grin factor..

A fair bit :) standard is 0.8? Cobbs off the shelf stage 2 took it to 1 bar that made a nice difference.

Ja5on 3rd May 2012 06:43 PM

Spoke to Iain today aswell about doing stuff with my car. Great guy, gave me straight answers to any of my questions. Looking at doing stage two :-)