So who wants a free SKYLINE 2000 GT-R ... - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th September 2012, 06:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
PS30-SB is having a nice cup of tea
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Genuine HS30-H x 2, HLS30, Replica PS30-SB project, genuine KPGC10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
I'll post a picture of Dave's car

..and within seconds I'll be told it's not this that or the other... by the forum's very own KPGC10 expert.

Anyways here is a picture of Dave Warener's car (the GTR shop)

Which may or may not be a 2 door PGC10 allegedly and as I'm no expert I wouldn't know.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "KPGC10 expert" ( thanks for the kudos though... ), but I am a KPGC10 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue34
I do know however for the majority of people who aren't quite so pedantic about such things... it's proof we have a member right now in the UK with a car of that vintage and series with a genuine interest in restoring it - note the engine isn't back in yet... and everyone appreciated a chance to see it at JAE.

So why not tell us a little bit about what you see in the photo and share some of that knowledge for the benefit of those less knowledgeable
Dave's car is a KGC10. Note the lack of the 'P' code. The 'P' code in the 'KPGC10' prefix denotes S20 twin cam engine - and all the other special GT-R specific parts that came with it - and distinguishes it from its less exclusive GT and GT-X siblings. Dave's car originally came from the factory with an L20A single cam engine and none of the GT-R specific parts, but he's modifying it to look like a KPGC10 GT-R.

Quote:
or would you rather just tell us it doesn't count and we are liars, your call...
Are you saying that Dave's car is the car that's being claimed as a "KPGC10" in the GTROC blurb then? If so, I'm afraid you'll find that it doesn't count. Just as a GTS is quite different from a GT-R in the R32-series, as I'm sure you know. Dave's car quite simply is NOT a GT-R. It's a lovely car, and he's doing a great job I'm sure, but it will always be a modified KGC10 and not a KPGC10.

"Liars"? They are your words not mine. I'd prefer to think that you are just mistaken. Whichever, it needs clarifying or correcting doesn't it? The GTROC should be able to tell the difference, and if it can't then it's hardly fit for purpose. "Pedantic"? I'd say it's just a case of knowing what a real GT-R is, and that - it seems to me - is surely part of the responsibility of an organisation that calls itself the 'GTR Owners Club'?

Perhaps it might help you to understand why I'm being so vocal about this if you put yourself in my position. How would you feel if you owned a genuine KPGC10, and found that the GTROC in the UK seemingly couldn't tell the difference between a real one and a lookalike? Can you imagine that happening within the GTROC Japan?
Old 29th September 2012, 06:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
RSVFOUR is has actually finished his 32GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Giken powered Stagea , 32GTR , Brabus SLK, 1973 Porsche 911 , Autech Axis Stagea
Its nice to see being pedantic made into an artform

My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RSVFOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 08:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
slacker is -thinking R33

Cars owned: Series 3 R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS30-SB View Post
Sorry, with one what?
KPGC10 i can do Italics too, Does that make me smart?!

Old 29th September 2012, 08:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVFOUR
Its nice to see being pedantic made into an artform
Practice makes perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker
KPGC10
Here's a straight question then; Have you actually SEEN this 'KPGC10' in Northern Ireland, and are you 100% sure it's a genuine KPGC10 ( rather than a GC10, KGC10 or even a KGC110 / KHGC110 )? "I've heard there's one" or "my mum's postman's friend's uncle has got one of those" doesn't really cut it, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker[/i
i can do Italics too, Does that make me smart?!
About the italics: I'm not trying to be "smart", just legible. That's the whole point of spelling, grammar and punctuation, shirley?

See, this is what happens isn't it? You guys spend all your time shooting the messenger when you should be addressing the message. Either come up with the proof that a member of the UK GTROC actually owns a genuine KPGC10, or stop making the claim. I've been asking the same question for years and have never got a straight answer. I sometimes get asked if it's my car, but I'm not a member.....
Old 29th September 2012, 09:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
JTJUDGE is 70% there

Cars owned: R33 GTR X2, next is the r32 (stockish)
I'd maybe give up then and stop asking because if there is an owner on here that is a member, you will never find him or his address so that you can take Pervy pics of his car

Anyway these Kentucky fried chicken cars remind me off eastern European boy racer lada's
Old 29th September 2012, 09:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
.....but I'm not a member.....
I don't suppose you fancy joining up then, do you? I'm sure they'd be glad to have you on board
Old 29th September 2012, 09:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
slacker is -thinking R33

Cars owned: Series 3 R33 GTR
Quote:
Here's a straight question then; Have you actually SEEN this 'KPGC10' in Northern Ireland, and are you 100% sure it's a genuine KPGC10 ( rather than a GC10, KGC10 or even a KGC110 / KHGC110 )? "I've heard there's one" or "my mum's postman's friend's uncle has got one of those" doesn't really cut it, I'm afraid.
Seen it, Sat in it. A genuine KPGC10.
Old 29th September 2012, 10:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
JTJUDGE is 70% there

Does it have the dot after the digit 0? Do you have pics of the occasion because it's not true if you don't
Old 30th September 2012, 01:34 AM   #49 (permalink)
YokoAE86 is enjoying life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Show me the pics of the car then. What colour is it and i want to see the engine bay please.
Old 30th September 2012, 02:18 AM   #50 (permalink)
blue34 is in a Fujimura Auto 32GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34GTR
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "KPGC10 expert" ( thanks for the kudos though... ), but I am a KPGC10 owner.

Dave's car is a KGC10. Note the lack of the 'P' code. The 'P' code in the 'KPGC10' prefix denotes S20 twin cam engine - and all the other special GT-R specific parts that came with it - and distinguishes it from its less exclusive GT and GT-X siblings. Dave's car originally came from the factory with an L20A single cam engine and none of the GT-R specific parts, but he's modifying it to look like a KPGC10 GT-R.

That's useful info, so it's a KGC10. I think it came over with for example the rear arch extensions, not sure if they are an original feature of the PGC10 I'm guessing not. I can understand now why so KGC10 examples would have had mods to more resemble the more exclusive KPGC10.

Best way to settle the argument about owners in the club would be I guess to "serve" you with a membership card.

But first you have to pass the "Custard Test" - google it...
Old 30th September 2012, 02:41 AM   #51 (permalink)
JTJUDGE is 70% there

that key pic was a funny read
Old 30th September 2012, 06:59 AM   #52 (permalink)
xs10shl is unaware they can edit their status

A typical clone I've seen will either still have it's chrome rain gutter, or have the chrome removed, but the notch in the bare rain gutter to accept the chrome would usually still be there. Both would be absent in a KPGC10, replaced by a steel gutter in body color (if I'm saying that right - hope that's not too confusing. Moreover, I hope it's accurate - I defer to Alan on all detail-oriented items.).

Last edited by xs10shl; 1st October 2012 at 12:24 AM..
xs10shl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 10:00 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
That's useful info, so it's a KGC10.
Useful info? It's engraved on the car! The chassis number is prefixed by the build code, and on Dave's car it's stamped into the engine bay VIN tag, and engraved on the left side sill top. It's the identity of the car, and you can't change it. This is all really basic stuff.

Dave's car is an interesting project - well covered on the forum - and I'm sure its great advertising for his business, but you can't cite it as validation of the GTROC's claim to have a KPGC10 in the club because it's simply not a KPGC10. It's a C10-series Skyline, it's a two door pillarless 'hard-top' coupe with a six cylinder engine, but it's a million miles away from being any kind of substitute for a genuine C10-series GT-R.

Quote:
I think it came over with for example the rear arch extensions, not sure if they are an original feature of the PGC10 I'm guessing not. I can understand now why so KGC10 examples would have had mods to more resemble the more exclusive KPGC10.
No offence, but you really need to get the chassis codes straight in your mind before you start talking about these cars. You've mentioned the 'PGC10' a couple of times, but the PGC10 was the four door sedan bodied GT-R, the very first GT-R, introduced in February 1969, and it didn't have the cut-away rear arches and overfenders of the KPGC10 that followed it in October 1970. It also had a longer wheelbase than the KGC10 and KPGC10.

Dave's car came over from Japan with slightly modified rear arches ( the GT and GT-X two doors originally came with the full 'Surf Line' rear arch that severely limits wider wheel fitment ) but not fully cut-away GT-R sheetmetal and FRP Overfenders. Dave cut these modified arches out and did the full GT-R style treatment on them. All documented on his build threads here and on other forums.

Since their debut in Japan, GC10s have often been modified to look like PGC10s, and KGC10s have often been modifed to look like KPGC10s ( and KGC110s to look like the even rarer KPGC110s ). The GT-R models were the premium performance models with all the kudos and race history that came with that, and it was only natural that people who owned cheaper, more numerous and easily accessible models would modify them to look like the GT-Rs. The same thing happened all over the car world; As a teenager I modified my MkI Cortina GT to look like a Lotus Cortina because the LC was the coolest MkI as far as I was concerned, and a cooking C10-series Skyline being modified to look like one of its more illustrious siblings is essentially the same scenario. Nothing wrong with lookalikes or replicas, but they are not to be confused with The Real Thing...

Usually it's down to owners, owners clubs and enthusiasts groups ( like special interest internet forum members ) to police the differences and protect the integrity and history of the marque and model, but the UK GTROC doesn't seem to do it for the models that actually created GT-R history. I have no doubt that any member who showed up with an ER34 wearing GT-R badges would soon get shown the error of his ways, especially if he parked up next to a genuine BNR34 and started telling people that it was "the same thing". Why not the same for the C10 and C110-series cars then?

Quote:
Best way to settle the argument about owners in the club would be I guess to "serve" you with a membership card.

But first you have to pass the "Custard Test" - google it...
I don't need to Google it. I'm a long-term Pistonheads forum member and I've asked - earlier this year actually - a fellow Pistonheads member to come up with the goods regarding a KGC10 that he claims to own and has been very vocal about. As so often seems to be the case ( funny this... ) he has never shown a pic of the car or come forward with any details about it, despite spouting off about it being cheaper than people say they usually are, and offering all sorts of opinion about importing one. He hasn't even told us what colour it is. Bizarre. It's hard to resist the thought that he might be a little bit of a fantasist....

My car's not any kind of secret. I don't think it needs a Custard Test to prove that it's over here, is owned by me, lives in North London and is a genuine KPGC10 Skyline 2000 GT-R:

THE OUTSIDER. HAKOSUKA GTR IN EUROPE... - Speedhunters
Old 30th September 2012, 10:08 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Pistonheads patent Custard Test then, please.

And are you quite sure you're up to speed on these cars? Sure you can tell the difference? There was a guy standing in front of my car at Goodwood - peering into the engine bay even - who was convinced he was looking at a 510 Bluebird. There's a lot of that about.

More details or - yes - it might just as well be Brigadoon....
Old 30th September 2012, 11:54 AM   #55 (permalink)
blitzer_bhoy is working on an R35 GTR
Registered

Cars owned: Civic Coupe, Toyota Supra, Honda Prelude Motegi 2.2vti, R33 GTST Type M Stage 1, R33 GTR VSpec Stage 1, Civic Type R, R32 GTR
PS30-SB...thanks for providing such detailed information, its been a very interesting read and your well structured responses, educational to say the least.
Old 30th September 2012, 12:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
blue34 is in a Fujimura Auto 32GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34GTR
Quote:
Useful info? It's engraved on the car! The chassis number is prefixed by the build code, and on Dave's car it's stamped into the engine bay VIN tag, and engraved on the left side sill top. It's the identity of the car, and you can't change it. This is all really basic stuff.

Dave's car is an interesting project - well covered on the forum - and I'm sure its great advertising for his business, but you can't cite it as validation of the GTROC's claim to have a KPGC10 in the club because it's simply not a KPGC10. It's a C10-series Skyline, it's a two door pillarless 'hard-top' coupe with a six cylinder engine, but it's a million miles away from being any kind of substitute for a genuine C10-series GT-R.

No offence, but you really need to get the chassis codes straight in your mind before you start talking about these cars. You've mentioned the 'PGC10' a couple of times, but the PGC10 was the four door sedan bodied GT-R, the very first GT-R, introduced in February 1969, and it didn't have the cut-away rear arches and overfenders of the KPGC10 that followed it in October 1970. It also had a longer wheelbase than the KGC10 and KPGC10.

Dave's car came over from Japan with slightly modified rear arches ( the GT and GT-X two doors originally came with the full 'Surf Line' rear arch that severely limits wider wheel fitment ) but not fully cut-away GT-R sheetmetal and FRP Overfenders. Dave cut these modified arches out and did the full GT-R style treatment on them. All documented on his build threads here and on other forums.

Since their debut in Japan, GC10s have often been modified to look like PGC10s, and KGC10s have often been modifed to look like KPGC10s ( and KGC110s to look like the even rarer KPGC110s ). The GT-R models were the premium performance models with all the kudos and race history that came with that, and it was only natural that people who owned cheaper, more numerous and easily accessible models would modify them to look like the GT-Rs. The same thing happened all over the car world; As a teenager I modified my MkI Cortina GT to look like a Lotus Cortina because the LC was the coolest MkI as far as I was concerned, and a cooking C10-series Skyline being modified to look like one of its more illustrious siblings is essentially the same scenario. Nothing wrong with lookalikes or replicas, but they are not to be confused with The Real Thing...

Usually it's down to owners, owners clubs and enthusiasts groups ( like special interest internet forum members ) to police the differences and protect the integrity and history of the marque and model, but the UK GTROC doesn't seem to do it for the models that actually created GT-R history. I have no doubt that any member who showed up with an ER34 wearing GT-R badges would soon get shown the error of his ways, especially if he parked up next to a genuine BNR34 and started telling people that it was "the same thing". Why not the same for the C10 and C110-series cars then?

I don't need to Google it. I'm a long-term Pistonheads forum member and I've asked - earlier this year actually - a fellow Pistonheads member to come up with the goods regarding a KGC10 that he claims to own and has been very vocal about. As so often seems to be the case ( funny this... ) he has never shown a pic of the car or come forward with any details about it, despite spouting off about it being cheaper than people say they usually are, and offering all sorts of opinion about importing one. He hasn't even told us what colour it is. Bizarre. It's hard to resist the thought that he might be a little bit of a fantasist....

My car's not any kind of secret. I don't think it needs a Custard Test to prove that it's over here, is owned by me, lives in North London and is a genuine KPGC10 Skyline 2000 GT-R:

THE OUTSIDER. HAKOSUKA GTR IN EUROPE... - Speedhunters
and here is a very nice photo of your car from the Speedhunters article

(re: Cortinas and Datsuns I went the V6 route with my MkII Cortina as a teenager, and owned a Datsun 240z for twenty odd years..)

Last edited by blue34; 30th September 2012 at 12:34 PM..
blue34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 01:23 PM   #57 (permalink)
JapFreak786 is .
GT-RDC Member

Will a Y pipe in valid my warranty though?? Just trying to keep the entertainment going!
Old 30th September 2012, 08:15 PM   #58 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo

just read through all of this.

couple of points.

if your going to run a competition - just remember not everyone is or wants to be on face book - its not for everyone.

regarding the GT-R

i think 99% of people on here would be shouting if someone was calling a ECR33 a BCNR33, its therefore the same thing.

if someone claims they have it, then pictures (9/10) prove alot. so post up. nothing wrong with that.

it is helpful having PS30 explain about the GT-R differences.

we found this one in the Toyota highlight in Tokyo.

thought id post a couple of pics

Old 30th September 2012, 08:18 PM   #59 (permalink)
DNCracing is unaware they can edit their status

Yes please I would like another. But how do I know this is not some new Nigerian scam?
Old 30th September 2012, 08:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
JapFreak786 is .
GT-RDC Member

Greetings bot