Stop the R35!!! - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th December 2003, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Will is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R34 VSPEC II
Stop the R35!!!

Well, untill I can afford one!!
Dont want to be be a party pooper, but as much as I love the concept car and cant wait to see the production version, I'm still very happy with my 34 and love among many things it talent for maintaining great resale prices. Also when the new one comes out the 34 is goning to age rapidly, whereas for the time being is still the icon of supercar brutishness and I love it!!!!
Also there is the problem of the new one costing at least 45k.
Whats going to happen with new front end height regulations to do with pedestrian safety? Hope nissan can somehow keep the skylines wall like front end...perhaps the sonic boom helps to clear pedestrians!!

Very happy boy at the moment, just got my car back from abbey after 2 and a half months, to get a bottomend bearing and crankshaft replaced! Need to run the engine in again though, which is a bit of a bummer, but when it goes back may have to get a few little tweaks....cant wait!!!
Old 9th December 2003, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
LSR
LSR is unaware they can edit their status

I'm still very happy with my 34 and love among many things it talent for maintaining great resale prices. [/QUOTE]

>Glad to hear it.

Also when the new one comes out the 34 is goning to age rapidly, whereas for the time being is still the icon of supercar brutishness and I love it!!!!

>"THE NEW ONE" is the V35 GT-R, and is coming out in 2007. The >R34 GT-R is already beginning to age - product lifecycles and all >that.

Also there is the problem of the new one costing at least 45k.

>That might be a problem for you personally (your budget), but >market-wise and in relation to the competition (which is a lot >more expensive), that is a bargain. An R34 GT-R costed GBP54k >OTR. Interviews with the GT-R team have revealed that the car >will be priced in the 60k region - a bargain, when you compare >this car to the competition, which is a lot more expensive, and >consider the fact that this car will be just as able as the >?>competition in all areas, if not MORE able.

Whats going to happen with new front end height regulations to do with pedestrian safety? Hope nissan can somehow keep the skylines wall like front end

>Don't even get me started on pedestrian safety - my views on >the issue will probably get me flamed and in trouble here, and >banned All I can say is that pedestrian safety laws are >stupid, and I know they have a purpose, and I know the >purpose (obviously).

>I don't know the exact laws regarding pedestrian safety and >cars (you have to be more specific - like higher or lower height, >etc), but I'm sure that the talented bunch of people @ Nissan >will still be able to have some room/factors/freedom still >available to work with (i.e. these ped safety laws not dictating >the whole design, but then factor in all the other factors such as >aerodynamics, designer intention, the styling direction, the need >for aggressive looks, and the design is already fully dictated and >a base for the design to work with is made).

perhaps the sonic boom helps to clear pedestrians!!

>The aggressive looks will probbably teach all people not to cross >the road when this car is coming by at whatever >speed!!

Very happy boy at the moment, just got my car back from abbey after 2 and a half months, to get a bottomend bearing and crankshaft replaced! Need to run the engine in again though, which is a bit of a bummer, but when it goes back may have to get a few little tweaks....cant wait!!!

>I'm glad to hear it.

Last edited by LSR; 9th December 2003 at 03:38 PM..
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
LSR

Angry

Damn, the >s came out all wrong in the post - I did the >s where there was a new line, but different widths and a lack of standardisation have caused them to be all over my post. They were supposed to differentiate my replies to each part of what the thread opener said, but you can differentiate between what I and the thread opener said.

Old 9th December 2003, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blow Dog is ugh
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

lol @ LSR - you sound like the AI program out of Red Dwarf.

Cem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Deliberations and delusions of grandeur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Work stuff.
Blow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
LSR

And BTW in a recent article of Autocar (read it in school library, didn't check month of issue), there is a very informative issue on the new crash safety laws (for pedestrians), to be put in power during 2005 and to be strengthened in power (the law made more stringent) in 2010.
Old 10th December 2003, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
R34Nismo is In The Factory
New Users

Cars owned: R32 M's Factory
lol replays of red dwarf at the moment on late night tv cem

goes hand in hand with Monkey on Friday nights...
+..
HQ is Now open

Signature Permissions
Allow Smilies = No
R34Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
emicen is unaware they can edit their status

Completely agree with LSR, bugger pedestrian safety. Notice something in common about all these bastard "30 not 35mph" videos? I'll give u a hint,

"if this driver had been going at 30mph he would have stopped here.....thud"

If the stupid urchin/drunk hadnt jumped out from behind a parked car / jumped out on the road there would have been no need to stop. Stop blaming drivers for parents negligence in teaching their kids how to cross the road and enforcing it!

[/rant]
Old 10th December 2003, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
LSR

Angry EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally posted by emicen
Completely agree with LSR, bugger pedestrian safety. Notice something in common about all these bastard "30 not 35mph" videos? I'll give u a hint,

"if this driver had been going at 30mph he would have stopped here.....thud"

If the stupid urchin/drunk hadnt jumped out from behind a parked car / jumped out on the road there would have been no need to stop. Stop blaming drivers for parents negligence in teaching their kids how to cross the road and enforcing it!

[/rant]
That was my view which I never disclosed. Why the hell does the car industry have to pay for everything - even if it isn't the car industry's fault? These new laws are a good example of this - same for car emissions, and yet there are plenty of other pollutants, which aren't as tightly governed - and these laws come into party thanks to the idiot tree huggers who pollute themselves - does anyone think about the effect on the companies - brand image and perceptions, the costs involved?. If people get hit by a car and it is because they are walking on a pavement minding their own business and some drunk driver swerves onto the pavement then yes the pedestrian deserves to survive, and the driver should be prosecuted (sp?). But if the case is that a kid runs across the road after a ball which has little significance, and doesn't look, or it is some girl in high school running across the road, waving her hands saying bye to her friends and gets hit by a car, which is abiding the speed limit (which I have seen happen), then YES that person deserves to be hit by a car and with serious consequences (injuries), not with MITIGATED consequences - if someone gets hit by a car and breaks a few bones, or even worse, can't do things they could do prior to the crash such as driving or opening a can due to being physically disabled, then they would learn their lesson and would be a lot more vigilant - much better than idiot TV ads, which even people who you'd expect to know how to cross the road (refer to the girl example). They might learn their lesson even with these new laws helping them, but without them, the consequences would be greater, and they'd be kicking themselves and regretting it. Same for drunk people who stagger onto the road (this has tought me not to drink, drink and drive, or smoke or take illegal substances come to think of it). And yet even if we are not guilty, we'd still be dragged into a legal battle - if I hit a kid or a drunk person because they ran onto the road running after a ball (which isn't important enough to put your life at risk) or staggered onto the road, then I would drive away, not check on them, due to getting involved for something not my fault - even if it is hit and run (another criminal offence), but can you get in trouble and caught even there is no description of the car and driver?...

The point is that even with or without these new laws (which put another strain on car aesthetics), we may see less injuries and fatalities in the statistics, but what won't have changed would be the fact that kids and drunk people who aren't aware of the environment they are in will still be going onto the road - it's not the injuries and fatalities that matters here, but the fact that people still haven't learnt how to use the roads - and this should be the parent's responsibility - and partly the government's.

Injuries and fatalities shouldn't JUST be considered, there is more to it, because we would never have the above (injuries and fatalities) if people could actually THINK, and even get hit by a car and learn their lesson once they are in pain and can't do what they could do before.
Old 10th December 2003, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

You know if every single car in the world stopped being used it would reduce the CO2 levels by 0.04%, wtf is 0.04%!?!?! Might aswell ask the population to hold their breath for a couple of minutes every day!
Old 11th December 2003, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
EauRouge is unaware they can edit their status

LSR, have a think about what you are saying here - You're saying that a person "deserves" to get hit by a car & sustain injuries or worse.

Right.

So if a 8 year old kid runs out after his ball, and ends up getting hit by a car, and as a consequence, loses the use of his legs for life - he deserves that?

Yup, definitley an informed & intelligent opinion you have there (!)
Old 11th December 2003, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EauRouge
LSR, have a think about what you are saying here - You're saying that a person "deserves" to get hit by a car & sustain injuries or worse.

Right.

So if a 8 year old kid runs out after his ball, and ends up getting hit by a car, and as a consequence, loses the use of his legs for life - he deserves that?

Yup, definitley an informed & intelligent opinion you have there (!)
No, but equally, is it right to blame the driver? No! Parents teac their kids how to cross tha dam road, we dont have to drive ugly cars, thats the point.
Old 11th December 2003, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
LSR

Quote:
Originally posted by emicen
No, but equally, is it right to blame the driver? No! Parents teac their kids how to cross tha dam road, we dont have to drive ugly cars, thats the point.
Yeah, we shouldn't have to drive ugly cars thanks to the incompetence that some people have!

Pedestrian safety laws have their place in the situation that a drunk driver is driving a car (when he or she should not be), or is distracted (like by a kid or a dog, which bites the driver's hand), and the driver swerves and hits someone walking on a pavement. Pedestrian safety laws have their place in this situation - well actually, it should be illegal to have that distraction in a car.

If kids are going to playing with their tennis ball, football or whatever, on a pavement, then they should be trained and taught about not running across the road without looking, and about thinking first, then doing an action - i.e. think about your life - what is at stake, if a measly ball is really worth risking your life for, which it isn't, think what you have been taught by parents, and then cross the road - looking on both sides, and if you are in any doubt, then get the assistance of an adult or wait - something that should be taught by parents - parents have a responsibility - if they can't meet it, then they shouldn't be parents. Even worse is that kids are playing on the pavement to the motorway (outside their house, which is on a motorway).

Quote:
Yes. Life has its hard lessons, and it is the hard lesson that teach - if this happens in the quoted example, then you would think twice next time. Drivers who are abiding the law, there are no distractions in the car, aren't speeding, always get in trouble (and the carmakers) - even if it isn't the driver's fault whatever side you look at it, and even if you have an independent and unbiased eyewitness, the driver still gets in trouble.

I'm not going to lie or show off on a forum, but from a young age, I played on a pavement but I was taught how to (if I wasn't, things WOULD have been different because I've seen my toys go onto the pavement whilst a car is going past at 30mph - I've been taught to play on the pavement, don't run after a ball should it go onto a road, and ask an adult to get the ball if it runs on the road, and from a young age, I was taught by parents that I should ALWAYS look when I cross the road, and not take a risk - wait, rather than walk - what's more important - losing 2 minutes or losing physical ability? I was also taught that when a ball went into a bush in the garden (which is a hazardous environment for a kid). To this present day, I still keep this in mind - but now that I'm responsible (I'm 17, responsibility comes with the age), I can cross the road myself. It wasn't advertising power that taught me, everything came from common sense and some knowledge - and also from parents who are fit to be just that - parents.

The end point is that the people behind this new law should think about the cause of people getting killed by cars, running onto the middle of the road with a car doing 28mph in a 30mph zone, and the car being 2 metres away (not the driver's fault, nor the car's - carmaker's - fault). It's the parents fault, who have to teach about responsibility and all that - teaching about dangers isn't the job of the carmaker - they are to make cars to sell and make a profit, not to pay for the incompetency of other people.

Walking down the stairs in dangerous, but the companies which make stairs don't pay for the incompetency of other people - although legal action would prove the opposite.

My opinion is informed and justified - I've heard people get hit by a car and survive unscathed, but also people getting hit by a car and with major injuries which are an incovenience, and then they learn and correct their wrong doings when they wrongly crossed the road before, and got hit by a car (from a physical observation of the case of a friend).

Last edited by LSR; 11th December 2003 at 04:07 PM..
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

My point was not about whether or not the car designers etc should be penalised because of such accidents.

I disagree with the notion that the designers are forced to take this into account.

If you had taken time to read my post before hitting me with more patronising & pretentious [email protected], you would understand that I was making the point of disagreeing with your view that those who are unfortunate enough to be hit by a car, deserve as much and deserve the consquences that ensue.

Indeed, you are right life DOES deal some hard lessons. However, each situation & circumstance should be judged on it's own merit, and you would do well to remember that we, as drivers, have a responsibility.

I've said all I want to say on the matter, and I refuse to argue with a pretentious 17 year old over an internet forum.

P.S I'd like to see you spout forth that bullsh1t to a paramedic who gets the job of dealing with the aftermath or to someone who has lost a friend or loved one.
Old 11th December 2003, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Oh by the way, you mentioned that "If this had happend in the quoted example, then they would think twice next time"

Listen mate, if you're gonna argue on here, at least take time to read & understand what others write.

The boy in the quoted example would not be in a position to "think twice next time" in fact, he wouldn't be in that situation again, as I had given the scenario that he lost the use of his legs.

How about you stop trying so hard to be so fcuking smart.
Old 12th December 2003, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EauRouge
I disagree with the notion that the designers are forced to take this into account.
Yes, if we are going to argue on here at least take the time to read and understand what other write:

Quote:
Originally posted by LSR
[B]Whats going to happen with new front end height regulations to do with pedestrian safety? Hope nissan can somehow keep the skylines wall like front end[B]
There is already new legislation coming in to play to force car designers to alter the shape of the fron end if cars to take in to account pedestrian hits!
Old 12th December 2003, 10:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

Was that a pedantic point?

I'm kinda lost here, where have I shown that I did not understand what was written?
Old 12th December 2003, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
LSR

Quote:
If you had taken time to read my post before hitting me with more patronising & pretentious [email protected], you would understand that I was making the point of disagreeing with your view that those who are unfortunate enough to be hit by a car, deserve as much and deserve the consquences that ensue.
I registered what you typed and commented on this and my answer is obvious, but I also commented on a lot of other stuff.

Quote:
The boy in the quoted example would not be in a position to "think twice next time" in fact, he wouldn't be in that situation again, as I had given the scenario that he lost the use of his legs.
Someone might have lost the use of his or her legs, but that could be temporary or long enough to be an inconvenience for someone. I'll repeat if I didn't say it before that the friend (not the girl who I saw get hit by a car, but the example I posted afterwards), had operations on his leg(s) but still has full use of his legs. So he hasn't permenantly lost the use of his legs, but then he has still learnt his lesson...

Quote:
How about you stop trying so hard to be so fcuking smart.
I am not trying to be smart or more smart than I am, everything I said is mostly common sense. I'm being myself, I'm not gathering information from sources to form my opinions, which is another thing...

This is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. People who challenge and disagree with the opinions of other people are recipes for arguments in forums, so I'm not going to speak anymore on this topic or to you about it, when as we have different views, there's a clash. My opinion is justified enough and should what I say happen in practise, it would be true. This is exactly why I didn't want to post my opinions - they should be left out of forums.
Old 15th December 2003, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
BBD
BBD is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: GTR34 Vspec
MOT, CO2, Greenie stuff, save our trees, Ozon layer,, I frankly do not care what happends to all of the above,, Trees sorry we dont have any gancy sand dunes ?? Co2 levels emmisions ,, guys go to India or pakistane and see what is being dumped their you would be greatful you are driving a high powered gas guzzling Skyline its fresh air to me.
Old 15th December 2003, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
LSR

Quote:
Originally posted by BBD
MOT, CO2, Greenie stuff, save our trees, Ozon layer,, I frankly do not care what happends to all of the above,, Trees sorry we dont have any gancy sand dunes ?? Co2 levels emmisions ,, guys go to India or pakistane and see what is being dumped their you would be greatful you are driving a high powered gas guzzling Skyline its fresh air to me.
Yep been to India (I'm Indian), and I couldn't agree more with what you said. The air has a very distinctive smell, and research has shown that spending 30 minutes in Bombay is bad for your longs, due to the poor air quality. Not only that, but you would have to brave to drive in India

I don't care about the same things you don't care about, BBD - MOT, CO2, Greenie stuff, trees, ozone layer. However, I admit they do have their importance (like trees and their breathing exchange process is of value, but they also give us paper, but like Emicen stated, cars are only contribute 0.4% to global polution, so we shouldn't be punished for owning certain cars (i.e. high performance cars), and I'm not going to let things, which you have listed, get in the way of my hobby or what I look for when modifying my car (for example, I don't want cats, because without them, a car is louder, but they are needed to pass an MOT, and having a high flow cat or a bolt-on cat, which has to be bolted on during every MOT test, which, although isn't often, is just an inconvenience.