My First Mod with Russ Fellows - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st July 2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
PhilP is thinking!
GT-RDC Member

My First Mod with Russ Fellows

Thanks to Russ Fellows and Andy @ AC Speedtech I have now made my first mod!

I have owned the car since buying new in 2010 and whilst very happy with it have toyed with the idea of a little more noise from the exhaust. Many a time I have been tempted to go down the tried and tested route of a Y-pipe, but have been some what put off by the reports of drone.

I wanted a noise more befitting to the car, but nothing to loud or "boy racer'ish" in sound or style. I decided to have a full system fitted to avoid the y-pipe drone and give scope for further mods.

Having read good things about the Russ Fellows system I contacted him and discussed the options. I decided to retain the standard tips (always liked them) giving a stock appearance.

I met up with Russ at AC Speedtech in Warrington and little over an hour later it was all done.

I am very happy with the exhaust. Quality is top notch and it bolted straight on. Noise wise it retains a stock tone, but more of it. Crusing at motorway speeds is little different to stock, but when planting the right foot it really sings. I'm very happy and can highly recommend it to anyone considering a system.

Couple of pics of old and new.

Old 21st July 2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Add DPs and it really screams!
Old 21st July 2013, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is thinking about ethanol
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, E61 535d Touring
Welcome to the Russ Fellows club mate. Like Jason says, get DPs for maximum enjoyment

Tuned by Ryan G

RIP Tweenierob; the brightest stars burn the fastest
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd July 2013, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
TomS is drinking fuel
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR, E46 M3
Good to see someone else recommending Russ Fellows and Andy, was emailing Andy last week about adding downpipes to my stage 4, can't wait for the sound!
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
AdamOGTR is lovin it!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I can't recommend Russ and Andy enough both are top blokes and their work is excellent. Nice choice.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eric Laybourne is unaware they can edit their status

I've heard a lot of good things about RF systems and I'm with you on retaining stock tip cones - in addition to the exhaust note , any objective measures on weight reduction , HP and torque gains please?
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
IIRC the RF system is slightly lighted.

I thinkg its very hard to put exact figures for gains as everyone will have a slightly different tune on there car
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
PhilP is thinking!
GT-RDC Member

It is slightly lighter than stock. I think the details are on his website. Apparently it flows well and has been successfully used in some big power builds.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is thinking about ethanol
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, E61 535d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilP View Post
It is slightly lighter than stock. I think the details are on his website. Apparently it flows well and has been successfully used in some big power builds.
Absolutely correct

Tuned by Ryan G

RIP Tweenierob; the brightest stars burn the fastest
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
ACspeedtech is getting bigger and faster!
GTR Register Trader

Glad you're enjoying the system PhilP

Just the full exhaust system (y-pipe and cat-back) normally gives around a 25-45hp increase, in part due to the removal of the second cats, and in part due to slight boost increase the now free flowing system gives. The gains will vary over the different model years and different maps people are running.

It is a 3.5" system which will comfortably flow over well over 800hp with minimal restriction as is well proven. We've been 'tweaking' this configuration for around 4 years now and are very happy with the sound/tone and noise level it currently gives, removing the drone is a prime concern to the long term enjoyment.

Email us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit us at: ACspeedtech, 3C Trident Ind.Park, Birchwood, WA3 6AX.

EcuTek MASTER Tuner - COBB PROtuner - 6T9 - KW suspension - SuperPro Bushes - OZ Racing - Millers Oils - AP Racing - Arai Helmets - Corbeau Seats - Luke Harnesses
ACspeedtech custom GR6 gearbox upgrades - GR6 transmission repairs and solutions
I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
ACspeedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Impossible is Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Laybourne View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about RF systems and I'm with you on retaining stock tip cones - in addition to the exhaust note , any objective measures on weight reduction , HP and torque gains please?
Yes I went from 3" custom exhaust (not stock) to Russ fellows. We did a before and after dyno. We could see an increase at top end of about 11hp.

I also went up against a few stage 4 cars with the 102mm svm systems at the wales runway event and surprisingly my stage 4 was a tad faster then all of them but more importantly so was my trap speed which says more then a dyno.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eric Laybourne is unaware they can edit their status

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Yes I went from 3" custom exhaust (not stock) to Russ fellows. We did a before and after dyno. We could see an increase at top end of about 11hp.

I also went up against a few stage 4 cars with the 102mm svm systems at the wales runway event and surprisingly my stage 4 was a tad faster then all of them but more importantly so was my trap speed which says more then a dyno.
Thanks Guys....
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Surely more factors in play here than just the exhaust differences?

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote