opinions on vinyl wrap - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th July 2013, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
car killer is fueling up
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35 my12 DMG.R35 GTR ums(sold).focus RS mk2. gtr v-spec2. 205gti turbo technics
opinions on vinyl wrap

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding vinyl wrap and what experience brings you to your thought's on it.
I haven't had a car wrapped but was very interested in having my gtr wrapped. But after seeing the quality of some cars that had been vinyl wrapped, including gtr's. I was very disappointed with the quality and attention to detail. Cuts/slice visible in vinyl, bits under vinyl, bubbles, original colour on view, bits patched in. I was like wtf. I could understand if it was a few hundred to have a wrap but when its a few grand I assumed it would be pretty much faultless.
Now I don't know if I am just fussy or what but I expect better. This was from various different wrappers as well, some with a good reputation others I hadn't heard of.
Also did anyone have a issue from parking in the public car park ? One of the wrappers put a printed advert under my windscreen wiper. After the rain it had stuck the bloody thinh to the windscreen. The ink was a biatch to get off.
Anyway my thoughts are. Over priced and poor quality. But look good from a distance and on pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
car killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I think close up, even the best are in my opinion disappointing. That's due to the material, rather than the quality of installation.

If you are concerned about installation quality, just look at one of the many Pwpro wrap threads. I don't think you'll find better quality than that, with none of the issues you mention.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
car killer is fueling up

Cars owned: R35 my12 DMG.R35 GTR ums(sold).focus RS mk2. gtr v-spec2. 205gti turbo technics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I think close up, even the best are in my opinion disappointing. That's due to the material, rather than the quality of installation.

If you are concerned about installation quality, just look at one of the many Pwpro wrap threads. I don't think you'll find better quality than that, with none of the issues you mention.
Tbh it is one of the cars on here that made me post asking peoples opinions. I looked around a couple of GTR's at totb and I was shocked. The few things I mentioned was only a few things and tbh there was alot more but didn't want to mention as I wouldn't want to publicly slag off someone's pride and joy or another person's business.
I just know I will stick to paint on my gtr lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
car killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th July 2013, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
bobbie is Stage 1
Registered

Cars owned: 2010 GTR
same hear would be worried about resale value as-well

Bobby
Old 29th July 2013, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
r33 gtr v spec is still not finished

Cars owned: r33 gtr
my opinion, i also looked into wrapping didnt think it was for me, i have looked at loads of cars and decided i will pay the extra for paint. im sure some are very happy with thier cars wrapped.
Old 29th July 2013, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
pwpro is exacting perfection at every opportunity
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Datsun 510 evo !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by car killer View Post
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding vinyl wrap and what experience brings you to your thought's on it.
I haven't had a car wrapped but was very interested in having my gtr wrapped. But after seeing the quality of some cars that had been vinyl wrapped, including gtr's. I was very disappointed with the quality and attention to detail. Cuts/slice visible in vinyl, bits under vinyl, bubbles, original colour on view, bits patched in. I was like wtf. I could understand if it was a few hundred to have a wrap but when its a few grand I assumed it would be pretty much faultless.
Now I don't know if I am just fussy or what but I expect better. This was from various different wrappers as well, some with a good reputation others I hadn't heard of.
Also did anyone have a issue from parking in the public car park ? One of the wrappers put a printed advert under my windscreen wiper. After the rain it had stuck the bloody thinh to the windscreen. The ink was a biatch to get off.
Anyway my thoughts are. Over priced and poor quality. But look good from a distance and on pics.
i think the biggest mistake people make is comparing a wrap to paint

there isnt a comparison to make or shouldnt be as the two are completely different disciplines and processes

with a wrap there will always be seems or joins its unavoidable as your dealing with a piece of flat material that is heated and stretched to conform to the cars panels not blown media that will land everywhere perfectly (some of the time lol)

if the recess is to deep you will overstretch the material and it will fail and come loose so it must be done sectionally

you must also consider the cars state prior to wrap if its peppered with stone chips or dinted these will show through the wrap and often misinterpreted as an issue with the wrap when in truth the issue is with the painted surface beneath

something i noticed at totb yesterday and to be fair at most shows is that unlike when a car is painted where people will stand back and take in the cars appearance as a whole from a small distance with a wrap people are hell bent on trying to find fault

i witnessed people around marats yellow / black gtr done recently literally down on their hands and knees inches from the panels scrutinising every inch

leaning over the wings and rear quarters in an attempt to find a seam or something they could pick fault with

in my opinion completely disrespectful and would never ever be witnessed had the car have been painted

i think the long and the short of it is yes with a wrap you will see joins and you will see things that perhaps you dont understand why it would be that way but its not permanent and in most cases has been done to protect the cars underlying substrate or to allow wild styling that if painted would completely destroy a cars value

a trusted source in the midlands for your cars appearance and care

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
pwpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
splking is still enjoying his 09 GTR
GTROC Member

Completely agree with Paul here, and not from some hugely biased point of view.

When people see my car they always comment on how good it looks and how great the finish is on it. Then when i tell them its a wrap they get up close and even start brushing hands around panels and lights etc. trying to find a fault.

One reason i love the wrap is that it PROTECTS my paintwork in case of resale as well as making the car unique. I hate having to worry every time i come out and see a bird has crapped on my car, wondering how long it has been there and whether its damaged the paint. I park the car on the road so it's a big factor for me.

Really happy with my wrap, and the effort Paul goes to in order to ensure the fit is as best as can be is way above what i would expect for the cost!

H
SRD 1000R | Jun 4.0L EX engine | Litchfield EFR kit | Alcon CCX | Rays G25's | Litchfield suspension | PW Pro wrap | Sextons full audio upgrade inc. legertas 2015 nav system | HKS transmission & diff cooler | Recaro Sporster CS seats w/Takata seat harness | Aeromotions aerodynamic upgrades | KR carbon accessories | PPG gears 1-6 | XM 18 plate billet clutch | Syvecs S8 Ecu | Whiteline sway bars & bushes | Clearcorners & MY14 lights
splking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mrw
Mrw is JM1200R power

Cars owned: Celica,Supra, R33 skyline,TVR T350, 69 Camaro Z/28,63 corvettes split window stingray R35 GTR
I was one of the people taking a close look at at the yellow GTR as my red one was parked next to it, but I was not doing it to pick faults I was just admiring how good it was. The bright yellow colour is a bit much for me but i would consider a wrap in the future after seeing this on.
Old 29th July 2013, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Paul's doing mine soon and my primary (85%) reason for the wrap is to protect the paintwork. As much as i love polishing the car etc i worry about the paint from chips and bird crap every time its out of the garage and i think i will use the car more post wrap and actually enjoy it more. When i'm ready i can take it off and have great original paintwork underneath or if i fancy another colour change can just swap it out.
Old 29th July 2013, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
Paul's doing mine soon and my primary (85%) reason for the wrap is to protect the paintwork. As much as i love polishing the car etc i worry about the paint from chips and bird crap every time its out of the garage and i think i will use the car more post wrap and actually enjoy it more. When i'm ready i can take it off and have great original paintwork underneath or if i fancy another colour change can just swap it out.
+1 on the protection front. Bird shit is the bain of my life. forever going out to get rid of it! But i love the depth of colour you get with the paint vs a wrap. Particularly with the pearlescent white on mine. It looks so gorgeous in the sun when it sparkles

What colour you going for mate or is it a secret?
Old 29th July 2013, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
I've seen a fair number of cars that nice in pics, but when you get reasonably close are no where near as good as you expect.

Not going to go over my nightmare with Valet Magic again either.
Just make sure whoever is taking a knife to your paintwork has insurance.

Having spent a long time looking at wraps, I have to say that none are perfect.
But PW Pro do the best work I've seen.

Resale issues should not occur because nobody with any sense would buy a car as expensive as an R35 without checking the paintwork, meaning a full unwrap and detail prior to sale.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
pulsarboby is Torque Of The South Motorsport

yep just to reiterate whats been said above really.

I hate washing and polishing the car and with it being black its even more work looking after it and keeping birdcrap off so it does not ruin the paint.

pauls doing mine aswell very soon and he seems to be the best around so il travel to have the best job possible.

if you love detailing your car and have the time to keep on top of it then paint does look better with the deep shine but if like me you've not got the time or patience then a wrap surely is the answer and underneath you've still got your nice original paintwork which has been protected from the elements
Old 29th July 2013, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Turbotwo is ridiculous.

Cars owned: GTR,Clio Williams,434TT Chevy mini,Turbo2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
What colour you going for Steve?..your paintwork is about the best i`ve seen,so you probably want to keep it that way
Old 29th July 2013, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Nothing that's not been done before for me.....going for matt black, some window tints and getting my wheels freshened up from some overly aggressive pad deposits. Paintwork on mine is still great and I want to keep it hat way so decided a wrap is a must.

Part of me wishes I was a bit more adventurous on the colour choice but its rapidly becoming a classic and I love it....excuse to buy some more detailing gear specific for matt finishes
Old 29th July 2013, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
G2GUV is Thinking about the next move
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR
I absolutely agree with Paul 100% about people bending over backwards to pick faults with your wrap!!! I have the same all the time! The unfortunate thing is, that these 'fault finders' end up planting seeds in my head!!! My car looks fab in pictures, and from a metre or so away! When up close, all the little niggly bits really really bug me now!

I have no regrets, as I researched a fair bit into it and definately chose the right person to wrap my car. Unfortunately, the wrap is not holding together very well considering it is only 6 months old!!!!

I have the edges of the doors peeling, bubbles in the spoiler wrap, door handle trim a complete mess, wrap peeling away from the arches and other edges around the car!

I have mentioned this to the wrapper few months ago and he is only eager to help. I just haven't had the time to book it in and make the long journey there. Will be doing this very soon, as it now pains me to look at my car!

My real question is… am i expecting too much from my wrap? Is it fairly normal for these defects to occur? What defects have you had on your wrapped cars after a few months???
Old 30th July 2013, 07:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GUV View Post
My real question is am i expecting too much from my wrap? Is it fairly normal for these defects to occur? What defects have you had on your wrapped cars after a few months???
My yellow one is about five months old now and holding up very well.
My only two minor issues are stonechips (which can't be helped really) and some slight discolouring by the exhausts as this does show up on the yellow.

I've had no lifting, peeling or shrinking.

I know they say a wrap lasts two or three years, but in regular use I'd personally not expect more than a year out if it before needing a slight touch up on the front end, mainly due to the dark blue of my car showing through stone chips and tar/rubber marks from track days.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
deano555 is Not Dean Kenny

Vinyl wrap is the automotive equivalent of artex. Reminds me of the 1980's and putting tiger stripes on RS turbos
Old 30th July 2013, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
G2GUV is Thinking about the next move
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
My yellow one is about five months old now and holding up very well.
My only two minor issues are stonechips (which can't be helped really) and some slight discolouring by the exhausts as this does show up on the yellow.

I've had no lifting, peeling or shrinking.

I know they say a wrap lasts two or three years, but in regular use I'd personally not expect more than a year out if it before needing a slight touch up on the front end, mainly due to the dark blue of my car showing through stone chips and tar/rubber marks from track days.
Fair point.

My bubble and lifting is really getting on my nerves now. Im probably making it sound a lot worse than it is. Better get back down to Nottingham to let the Pro work his magic again.

Do you think gloss vinyl will hold better than satin/matt?
Old 30th July 2013, 06:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
pwpro is exacting perfection at every opportunity
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Datsun 510 evo !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GUV View Post
Fair point.

My bubble and lifting is really getting on my nerves now. Im probably making it sound a lot worse than it is. Better get back down to Nottingham to let the Pro work his magic again.

Do you think gloss vinyl will hold better than satin/matt?
which you should have done months ago and it would never have annoyed you

a trusted source in the midlands for your cars appearance and care

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
pwpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Biggus is happy rattle is now fixed :o)
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Volvo 480ES, Toyota MR2 Turbo, BMW 328 Sport, Mitsibushi GTO, Nissan 350Z, Lamborghini Gallardo, Nissan GTR R35
Vinyl Wrap

I had mine done by Valet Magic and could not be happier. Robbie did a good job and provided excellent service.

As to the quality of a wrap over paint, for sure there is no real comparison as they are different materials however people don't believe it is a wrap until I tell them.

I also have a 2009 car which is red and decided to wrap it to protect the paintwork.

Material has something like a 10 year guarantee and VM guarantee the fitting of the wrap for something like 2-3 years.