Bellhousing maybe? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th August 2013, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ushers99 is now excited for his MY12 DMG
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Bellhousing maybe?

Hey guys,

Just want your views on whether my problem is the bellhousing or not. I was down at Sly's on Sunday to have my exhaust adjusted as it wasn't sitting right and while I was there I had the K&N drop-in filters installed too.

On my way home the car seemed to be a lot louder which I found bizarre... After travelling about 45 miles, I came off at my junction and obviously slowed down to low speeds where I started to hear a rattle but it was only a slow speeds, as soon as I was on boost or travelling above say 25mph I couldn't hear anything but if I put my hand on the hand brake I could feel a vibration. It was also very evident when I reversed my car onto the drive.

After being out for the afternoon I got back and thought I would look under the car and make sure all the exhaust was attached properly in case a bolt was not tightened properly but everything seemed fine. The reason I thought it may have been the exhaust was because it seemed louder as I didn't think the air filters would make that much difference. So after inspecting the car I started it up and took it round the block to see if I could hear it again and couldn't hear anything, so I decided to take it out for a drive and let it get warm and as soon as the car was at around 85c it started to make the noise again.

From what I've read it seems very similar to the bellhousing issue and I also called Sly and he thought the same but could it be something else?

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated, the car is under warranty with Nissan so hopefully no issue there even if the car is modded.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 5th August 2013, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
saucyboy is Enjoying every journey!!

Cars owned: Noble M12 GTO-3, 996 Turbo, Now- 172 Cup, R32 GT-R, R35 GT-R
Sounds very possible mate but hard to tell without hearing a clip. Mine needs doing but it can only be heard at a stand still. Got her booked in with Sly soon for the Litcho fix ; )

Do a quick U tube search for R35 bellhousing and see if they sound similar.

Good luck buddy
Old 5th August 2013, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hashlak is macking it out

Cars owned: GTR R35 - C63 AMG - MP4-12C - Range Vogue+Sport - GTCW12 - G55 AMG
Hmm yea it could be.. The symptoms you are describing seem to match..

Best way to check is have a look on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafVJkJFRsg)

Then after driving a bit and letting the car warm up, stop and check underneath the car whilst it is still running.. You will hear a very distinct rattle coming from the underneath right in the middle of the car.. Even if u keep the car running (whilst warmed up) and walk a few feet to the right or left of the car, you should be able to hear that distinct rattling sound..

I had this issue on my car after like 2 weeks of buying it lol only 3,500 miles on the clock too..

Anyways i have heard its best to get the litchfield fix for this because apparently the one that gets replaced under warranty seems to get eroded and rattles again after a few thousand miles :/

Last edited by Hashlak; 5th August 2013 at 07:20 PM..
Hashlak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th August 2013, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
wilwak is unaware they can edit their status

Does the rattle actually do any harm or is it just annoying?
Old 5th August 2013, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I believe it's ok until it gets so much play that it starts to send nasty vibrations through the floor of the car. Then obviously at this stage it can cause problems.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
wilwak is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyboy View Post
I believe it's ok until it gets so much play that it starts to send nasty vibrations through the floor of the car. Then obviously at this stage it can cause problems.
Thx. Seems daft that they're still producing and selling cars with the issue.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
TomS is drinking fuel
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR, E46 M3
I thought my bellhousing was on the way out but I took it to Middlehurst who had it up on the ramps and they said mine is fine. Still noisy but that's just the design! If you're near SVM/Litchfield I'm sure they'd have a look for you
Old 6th August 2013, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi mate, that prob means that it is just within Nissans tolerance which I think they raised due to so many warranty claims etc. I'm sure so done will be along soon to say what it is but I'm thinking around 4mm of play??
Old 7th August 2013, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

I don't think you can tell by the noise. Mine was done at 8k miles and sounded exactly the same when I picked the car up from the NHPC after having the new bellhousing fitted. Sounds like a bucket of nails being swirled under the middle of the car at tickover.
Old 7th August 2013, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
OldBob is trying to sell the pork
Registered

Cars owned: Currently:911.2 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayman R, Mk7Golf R, Seat Ibiza FR
lots of other threads on here and gtrlife (nagtroc) describing the circumstances/revs under which noises and vibrations occur. Have a quick search about.