V-Cam - Page 6 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th December 2014, 07:31 PM   #101 (permalink)
airseating is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R34GTR
I must have missed that, I was looking at his build, very nice
Old 4th December 2014, 09:51 PM   #102 (permalink)

Just went back over Calibrat's build, cannot wait to see how it all works together, especially the V-Cam Step 1 or if he goes for the step 2 Pro.
That Spool Valve sounds great on their site but would like to see a real life comparison before and after on something similar
Old 4th December 2014, 09:52 PM   #103 (permalink)

Just went back over Calibrat's build, cannot wait to see how it all works together, especially the V-Cam Step 1 or if he goes for the step 2 Pro.
That Spool Valve sounds great on their site but would like to see a real life comparison before and after on something similar

Old 4th December 2014, 10:40 PM   #104 (permalink)
Calibrat is having RB32 build with v-cam

Cars owned: Skyline v-camed rb32 GTR, Lotus Carlton
Quote:
Originally Posted by airseating View Post
Do you know anyone with the Nitto 3.2 , EFR 9180 and the V-Cam OR are you going to do it..
Have you driven one ?

That would be one mad machine
feels like you named my complete build lol.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:44 PM   #105 (permalink)

Well I was , haha

It just seems such a strong combo and I am busting to see how it goes.

I was also looking at those Spool Valves, going on the manufactures blurb they seem great BUT they are trying to sell them. I would like to see a before and after with them on and a before and after with a RB30/26 Nitto 3.2 with a V-Cam but hard to find any of them, maybe you are one of the first :/

I have gone in a different direction with my RB30 , Nitto 3.2 Stroker , it is a DD and I want early response , so keeping the PT6262 CEA , changed the Poncams B for custom 260 10.8 cams etc, 1mm oversized Valves, cleaning up the head.
Doing the driveline up , Nismo Coppermix Comp Spec Twin clutch, Quaife Front diff, Modifying the trannie back and have a Nismo 2-Way LSD diff and going with the 265/35 X 18 Advan AD08Rs , just hope these are OK in the wet :/

SO hurry up and get it going , I am more excited with your build than mine ?????? I must be NUTS !
Old 7th December 2014, 06:31 PM   #106 (permalink)
Lewis_08 is now enjoying a BNR34 V-spec and the TS Super GTR

well i just broke my own plan and now have a stroker kit on the way too haha !
Old 7th December 2014, 08:59 PM   #107 (permalink)

What Stroker Kit did you end up buying ?

Good luck with your build
Old 7th December 2014, 10:00 PM   #108 (permalink)

This is the start of the block work, block tested all cleaned up , and ready for the work to come.

Nitto 3.2 crank going in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom end 1 (800x600).jpg (298.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 7th December 2014, 10:00 PM   #109 (permalink)

HKS step 3 crank c/w pistons / rod etc. etc.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:01 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airseating View Post
This is the start of the block work, block tested all cleaned up , and ready for the work to come.

Nitto 3.2 crank going in.
that will be a beast !
Old 8th December 2014, 12:43 AM   #111 (permalink)

Should get me the response I am after and then some
Old 30th December 2014, 03:58 PM   #112 (permalink)
G40tee is loving boost once more
New Users

Cars owned: Duke R33
Be interesting to see how you get on, will be one hell of a responsive setup.
I have a HKS Step 2 stroker with Step 2 VCam (272 in/ex 9.7mm lift).

Moving across to syvecs now so be interesting how the car comes along with the new setup.

Annoyingly timing and Vcam is retarted atm due to it still being mapped for Japanese fuel. Once the new ecu is on then I can unleash its full potential. I am running an old school T88-38GK (most up to date and efficient T88 but still old compared to new tubbies).
Old 30th December 2014, 09:06 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G40tee View Post
Be interesting to see how you get on, will be one hell of a responsive setup.
I have a HKS Step 2 stroker with Step 2 VCam (272 in/ex 9.7mm lift).

Moving across to syvecs now so be interesting how the car comes along with the new setup.

Annoyingly timing and Vcam is retarted atm due to it still being mapped for Japanese fuel. Once the new ecu is on then I can unleash its full potential. I am running an old school T88-38GK (most up to date and efficient T88 but still old compared to new tubbies).
Apart from my head being ready, Quaife front ready to go in, waiting on the rings to be done , my work has come to a stop and waiting on a small part for my trannie (pic) and it could be done at the end of Jan, but the way these blokes work I have no idea :/

What syvecs ECU and turbo are you going to use ?? there seem to be so many great turbos out, then to choose one to suit your needs now and maybe for later mods.

One of the blokes I talk to is looking into what a Vcam would add to his 2.8 and fully worked head. It is now 430 awkw, so no slouch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken trannie half circle.JPG (421.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 30th December 2014, 09:13 PM   #114 (permalink)
New Users

Ouch nice bit of damage there.
I wore out my dog rings in my box so had to have them custom made.

I'm sticking with the same t88-38gk, I love the power delivery it's insane haha. It's dynod at 950hp on the current setup already.
If I was going to change I'd go for one of the new Garrett gtx series, something like a gtx4088r. I've done smaller turbo response street builds. This is my big hp all out mad build.

I'm going for a syvecs s6 with fuel flex so I can run meth mix. Am waiting until they introduce the new ecus though incase there are any advantages I can get from them

RIP TweenieRob
G40tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 12:25 AM   #115 (permalink)

Thats some nice Power and I would imagine those T88-38 would kick in hard. does the Vcam give you a bit more response with that turbo on?

I had the T78-33 on the car when I bought it and it went mad once you hit 5500 rpms through 10k + but crappy as a DD and that's all I will use mine for.
So sticking with the PT6262 CEA I put on when I took the T78 off, but changing the cams to a custom UE model 260 10.8 with a sharp ramp rate and maybe they will work in OK with the OS valves and the head cleaned up a bit to get some air in there.

The boys recon they work well and I will be happy with them, as I know SFA about mods I tend to go with things that have been used by blokes that were chasing some good response early and grunt to keep going

I may hardly ever use the top end from my build but I am sure I will shake it up lower down and have some fun
Old 31st December 2014, 06:24 AM   #116 (permalink)

G40tee, have to ask you something as you seem to know what you are talking about and have some awesome mods going on.

If you can get strokers like Nitto 3.2s revving well over 10,000 rpms and giving so much more torque from around 2500 rpms and rev as high as a 26 and they would also not have to work as hard to do the same thing , why do you use a 2.8 and Vcam to get more response, or is there more to it?

Is it just a different or special feeling to drive a car higher up in the rev range. Being a street bloke I could never know what that is like without ending up in jail .

I must admit I loved the T78 when it kicked in, a rush compared to the more linear response I got from my first response mods, but the new setup was faster and I did not have to rev the crap out of it to get it going.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say:/
Old 31st December 2014, 10:01 AM   #117 (permalink)
New Users

I think it comes down to cost and what's available at the time etc and personal preference.

I have a 2.8 and vcam as that's what came with the car

I imagine most people would love a nitto 3.2 stroker but they aren't exactly cheap.
To make an engine reliably rev that high it requires a lot of lightweight expensive parts and balancing.

People go for smaller strokers (2.7/2.8) from what i've seen because they seem to be the best of both worlds, increased capacity and decent rev capabilities. For example Nitto themselves quote their 2.7 strokers to be tested to rev to 12000rpm plus but the 3.2 only to 10000 rpm. This is down to the fact there is physically only so fast you can move a piston that far.

I completely understand where you are coming from and it comes down to personal preference really. My car was first built using the best of what was available at the time in Japan. There are newer methods available now which will make for a better car but you have to pay for it!

I used to have a responsive 580hp rb26 in my first gtr and the instant power was amazing and I didn't have to rev it very high, however you want to go bigger numbers you have to have a trade off. This isn't my daily drive so I thought id go crazy and push the boat out for power levels. It does have large lag yes but as the car is atm I have full power from 5500-9000rpm and when all mapped in and timed properly it should be better. I will be running a meth mix on the syvecs and also have race fuel for racing.
Obviously with a more efficient compressor design on newer turbos you will get a more linear and usable power delivery.

2.7/8 strokers and things like vcam I would say are for people who want to build a potentially super responsive street car but still run 6-800hp.

I remember Tweenie Rob (rip) telling me that he wished he had used the RB28 build he did for Matt J instead of his own OSG 3.1L in his R32.

Hope it makes sense, this is just my opinion on the matter.
airseating likes this.

RIP TweenieRob

Last edited by G40tee; 31st December 2014 at 10:21 AM..
G40tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 08:22 PM   #118 (permalink)

Thanks for that, you managed to answer all of my questions and a few I forgot to ask

You have made it easier for me to get a grip on these cars, I have only had mine 11 months and a fair chunk of that has been in the shop or I did not like driving it before I made the changes, cams,turbo and exhaust system.

To be fair, this car was being built for the track 6 years ago, not as a street car and the bloke ran out of money in the WFC so it went into his garage for 5 years, and with the work that was already done to the motor ,forged internals etc it was capable of some big numbers with a few changes but I went the other way.

It was funny to get the first lot of mods done for torque, it only went from 338awkw to 345awkw and a few blokes on the forums bagged me for the meager 7 KW difference but the difference was amazing to drive and then I knew it was up to me to make the car do what I wanted from it, or sell it.Trouble was I got to like the car so selling it was not an option

These forums can be a great place to learn but some blokes are just AHoles and treat you like shat for there own enjoyment, but I do not mind a stir as long as they can cop it back, many can't ,haha

Thanks again
Old 31st December 2014, 09:05 PM   #119 (permalink)
Calibrat is having RB32 build with v-cam

Cars owned: Skyline v-camed rb32 GTR, Lotus Carlton
Mine will be running by the end of this month

Happy new year
Old 31st December 2014, 09:19 PM   #120 (permalink)

Thats great, cannot wait to see how it goes, these things take forever but if you get what you want it will be worth it .

I am hoping mine will be finished around the same time but I am not sure if I am being too optimistic :/

Looking forward to see yours on the road and get a few pics and specs .

Going to be a great New Year