M3 to GTR - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th August 2013, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
LAT
LAT is standard now
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

M3 to GTR

Hey guys,

I'll start off with a bit of background info about myself seeing as im new around here. Im 26 and I'm a mechanical engineer in the aerospace industry. I'm orignally (when I was younger) a massive Honda Jdm scene kind of guy. Since I graduated three years ago ive been driving m3's. I've had 3 e46 m3's and I currently own a e92 v8 m3, but I've always had this niggly feeling about buying a GTR. Has anyone on this forum made this transition? If so, what do you feel about it? And did you make the right choice?

I've been lurking around the forum for a few days now and I keep coming across 'y piece exhaust system and cobbs map'? Can anyone explain in a little more detail about this? And also power outputs on a stock engine with these mods?

Before purchasing a GTR, what are the things I should be looking out for? Cracked discs? Gearbox? Sat nav etc? Again, any info would be appreciated.

Last but not least, insurance? Now I'm used to paying a pretty high premium but the GTR is more expensive than the M3 to insure, any particular reason why?

Sorry for the long post, but, I keep finding myself on this GTR forum more than the M3 forum, plus, on pistonheads quite alot.

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 18th August 2013, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is thinking about ethanol
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, E61 535d Touring
You will get answers to a lot of your questions by using the search facility mate. As for the transition from E9x to GTR then PM a guy on here called FLYNN who currently has both cars.

Tuned by Ryan G

RIP Tweenierob; the brightest stars burn the fastest
GTaaaaaarrrrrr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
LAT
LAT is standard now

I get there's a search function buddy, I was looking for more specific definitive answers to my questions. And thanks for the heads up on the forum member.

Old 18th August 2013, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Cars owned: MY13 R8 V10 spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT View Post
Hey guys,

I'll start off with a bit of background info about myself seeing as im new around here. Im 26 and I'm a mechanical engineer in the aerospace industry. I'm orignally (when I was younger) a massive Honda Jdm scene kind of guy. Since I graduated three years ago ive been driving m3's. I've had 3 e46 m3's and I currently own a e92 v8 m3, but I've always had this niggly feeling about buying a GTR. Has anyone on this forum made this transition? If so, what do you feel about it? And did you make the right choice?

I've been lurking around the forum for a few days now and I keep coming across 'y piece exhaust system and cobbs map'? Can anyone explain in a little more detail about this? And also power outputs on a stock engine with these mods?

Before purchasing a GTR, what are the things I should be looking out for? Cracked discs? Gearbox? Sat nav etc? Again, any info would be appreciated.

Last but not least, insurance? Now I'm used to paying a pretty high premium but the GTR is more expensive than the M3 to insure, any particular reason why?

Sorry for the long post, but, I keep finding myself on this GTR forum more than the M3 forum, plus, on pistonheads quite alot.

Thanks in advance guys!!
As George has said above, search away. Spend a day or so reading up. They are no different to most turbo's cars, as regards to tuning. Decat and a remap will see great results, then intakes and injectors for a bit more etc etc...

Expect to see around 600/600 with simple bolt on mods

A Cobb is a device used to remap the car, other options are ecutek and syvecs

Ive currently got both. A 08 M3 saloon and a 09 GTR. Both very different, but in some respects prefer the M3, especially for knocking about, taking kids to school etc.

The GTR is a tool for going fast. You forgot how the thing accelerates and nothing this side of 200k will keep up with the thing out of the box. It gets a lot of attention too.

Insurance is an individual thing. I don't know your circumstances, but yes, of course a GTR will be more to insure than a M3.

You cant really compare them. The M3 is a great car, lovely v8 engine wrapped in a flared arched, bonnet bulging rep mobile bodyshell. The GTR was designed as a supercar from the ground up
Old 18th August 2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I've got both currently although mines a dct coupe.

If you want to discuss specifics, let me know and I'll pm you my number.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I've got both currently although mines a dct coupe.

If you want to discuss specifics, let me know and I'll pm you my number.
When did you get that Adam. I thought you had renounced everything BMW

Would like to hear your views
Old 18th August 2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered

I've had it for a few months. Not bought it, just borrowing.

Expected to hate it but finding it difficult. It's really a very good car. It's not fast in the gtr sense but is really engaging.

Very impressed with the dct and think it was perhaps the smg and the open top e46 chassis that put me off.

I'm still an Audi man, they are just so much better at electronics and interior design. The materials and switchgear in bmws still feels outclassed by the vag group to me. I much prefer the inside of the q5.

Engine note in the BMW is lovely and non standard brakes impress. I was seriously underwhelmed for a week though, until I found the m button. More fool me.

Nothing will change my mind on the looks though. The e46 was better looking by far. However you view it the m cars will always be performance versions of a common saloon/coupe. That's what makes gtrs special. All of them have supercar performance. Same thing makes me dislike 911s, there's just been so many that they are a very common sight.

Last edited by Adamantium; 18th August 2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 18th August 2013, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered

Forgive any mistakes, composed on the iPhone.

Old 18th August 2013, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gasman is unaware they can edit their status

I owned an e92 m3 for 4 years before jumping into a gtr. I've not once regretted it. The lack of low down torque and steering feel did frustrate me in the m3. The gtr trumps the m3 in those departments and offers shove that is in a different league.

Sure the m3 felt more refined and the ride was more supple (although coming from the Beemer you shouldn't find the ride in the gtr unbearable). Also I can't ignore the glorious noise of the v8. But stick an aftermarket exhaust on a gtr and you'll have more fun going through tunnels too!

The m3 can be considered a weapon of choice if you love big power slides, but that aside, in my book the gtr makes the m3 look apologetic especially when you compare prices.

I only pay more insurance on the gtr because it's modified, otherwise the cost would be the same. As guys have said get it to around 600bhp and it will never fail to put a smile on your face!
Old 18th August 2013, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I've had it for a few months. Not bought it, just borrowing.

Expected to hate it but finding it difficult. It's really a very good car. It's not fast in the gtr sense but is really engaging.

Very impressed with the dct and think it was perhaps the smg and the open top e46 chassis that put me off.

I'm still an Audi man, they are just so much better at electronics and interior design. The materials and switchgear in bmws still feels outclassed by the vag group to me. I much prefer the inside of the q5.

Engine note in the BMW is lovely and non standard brakes impress. I was seriously underwhelmed for a week though, until I found the m button. More fool me.

Nothing will change my mind on the looks though. The e46 was better looking by far. However you view it the m cars will always be performance versions of a common saloon/coupe. That's what makes gtrs special. All of them have supercar performance. Same thing makes me dislike 911s, there's just been so many that they are a very common sight.
Ive had both the e46 SMG, and my E90 is DCT. Night and day.

Pretty much feel the same. Might be jumping into a C6 RS6 Avant next, money permitting.

Cheers Adam
Old 18th August 2013, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
zulgtr is unaware they can edit their status

Hi guys,

This is my first posting here. Been reading here for the past one month and joint the forum about 1 week ago.

Let me tell a bit of myself.

I own an E92 M3 Competition Edition with DCT and F10 M5. Been driving the M3 for 2 yrs with the 6-MT before change to DCT about 2 yrs ago. The F10 M5 about 1 1/2 year. My M3 with Grouppe-M intake and boththe M3 and M5 with Akrapovic Evolution exhaust. Love the sound of the M3 as it reach the redline.

Testdrove Porsche 991 C4S about 2 months ago but nothing special about it. A friend suggested GTR35 before start looking for it. My first test drive with 2012 Black Edition used. Expected the ride to be hard compared to the M-cars but still acceptable to me. Finally confirmed on 2012 Black Edition new unit pearl white colour.

Been driving the GTR for the past 3 weeks. Start pushing the car after completed the break-in of 1000 km. IMHO the true feeling of the car will start coming at around 5000 rpm. The car is very fast but the brake is equally good to stop it. So far enjoying it every time driving it. Only a bit disappointed with ths exhaust sound which a bit soft. Planning to order soon Kreissieg F1 Valvetronic exhaust.

I have no regret on my decision of the GTR. Most of the time driving the GTR now than my 2 M. Its just a different kind of beast. Cannot compare between the GTR and the M-cars. They are just different category of cars.

Warmest regards.
Old 18th August 2013, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
LAT
LAT is standard now

Thank you for the comments guys!

Appreciate the honesty and answers. You guys are right, the v8 noise is superb and the edc system is great for different levels of comfort. I think I need to go for a few test drives and make a confident choice. But then again, I guess if I didn't want one I wouldn't constantly keep looking for the right one.
Old 18th August 2013, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
ASH-R35 is Lusting after an my11 gtr

Ive currently got an e92 m3 dct and a gtr

Both amazing cars

One is jap and the other german...the quality difference is noticeable

M3 has far better suspension imho and drives better on our broken roads

Gtr is manically fast - too fast for the road

I have a lot of love for both cars...but ive just sold the m3 today and am keeping the gtr
.....nuff said!
Old 18th August 2013, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Where did you sell your M3 Ash. Mine a Saloon DCT, so moderately rare. Stuck it on Autotrader for 3 weeks, but only got a few calls and no views
Old 18th August 2013, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT View Post
Thank you for the comments guys!

Appreciate the honesty and answers. You guys are right, the v8 noise is superb and the edc system is great for different levels of comfort. I think I need to go for a few test drives and make a confident choice. But then again, I guess if I didn't want one I wouldn't constantly keep looking for the right one.
Dont test drive one until you are sure you can swap. I had an Evo X before the GTR, and as soon as I test drove the GTR, the only time I drove the Evo again was to trade it in.
Old 18th August 2013, 02:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
LAT
LAT is standard now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNN View Post
Dont test drive one until you are sure you can swap. I had an Evo X before the GTR, and as soon as I test drove the GTR, the only time I drove the Evo again was to trade it in.
Oh crap
Old 18th August 2013, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
vxrcymru is a carbon fetishist
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR Stage 5 & Evo X FQ400
I've owned a GTR for 3 years and driven the latest M3 on a few occasions.

Power wise as said the GTR is in a different league.

Appart from this the most noticable difference is the different feel of the 2 cars. The M3 feels very light and almost toy like comaperd to the solid planted (heavier) GTR. I'd say that the M3 is probably more fun but once you have experienced the road presence & sheer grunt of the GTR there is only one winner.

As said earlier 2 very different types of cars.
Old 18th August 2013, 02:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
LAT
LAT is standard now

What are the service intervals and pricing for them?
Old 18th August 2013, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered

I feel less inclined to chuck the M3 around that the GTR. It doesn't have a glued to the road sensation that makes the gtr fun.

Others think sliding = fun, for me, gripping beyond belief = smiling at the ridiculousness of the speed you can carry.

The M3 feels no lighter than the GTR and doesn't shrink around you in the same way the GTR does but then it's nowhere near the size so doesn't need to.

To me the GTR feels otherworldly in terms of what it can do. It feels like it defies physics.

On a practical note, in the GTR, everyone let's you out at junctions, in the M3 no one does.

Since driving the M3, only one person has tried to race me, when I was not quick enough to overtake someone, because I was cruising in a relaxed way, I didn't immediately drop a gear and floor it. A few seconds later than I could have I pulled out to overtake to find another M3 on my bumper throughout and after the manoeuvre.

They say BMW drivers are more hated, and from behind the wheel of a BMW, I can say that I feel that way about other BMW drivers, see above, and that the general motoring public seems to feel that way about me! (also see above).

Old 18th August 2013, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Pre 11 (CBA, without the running lights) every 6 months. Post 11 (DBA, with the running lights) every 12 months

Between £300 minor upto £600(ish) major

Some CBA owners have gone onto the 12 month intervals. Personally Ive stuck on the 6 months (or less) as I was used to the silly 4500 mile service intervals on the Lancer Evos