Warranty and stage 4 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th September 2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
extremelimo is very happy with my 700hp but wants more
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Warranty and stage 4

Recently bought an 11 plate gtr with stage 4 has anyone ever had a warranty claim with modded engine. My discs are cracked and Nissan dealer said it looked as though car had been tracked and would not cover discs. I haven't tracked it but don't know about last owner
Old 4th September 2013, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Tbh mate I wouldn't bother with claiming on standard discs. I would be going and buying updated discs, better quality than the standard stuff
Old 4th September 2013, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Discs

To be honest I find standards ok,my son races a Radical sr3rs and I track it,it doesn't seem to wear the pads at all and stops amazing, I just think nissan got the discs wrong in the first place.do the latter cars crack discs also?

Old 4th September 2013, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Protegimus is enjoying GT-R LMS4 motorsport
Registered

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Unless you bought it from a dealer you're on your own.
Front disc cracking is a standard feature, one to watch out for prior to purchase.

If it was from a dealer, whether Nissan or not, take it back to them as the onus is on them within the first six months to sort out any issues.
If an NHPC, get them to download the flickr data and show you it; as that will prove whether it's been driven beyond Nissan limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremelimo View Post
Recently bought an 11 plate gtr with stage 4 has anyone ever had a warranty claim with modded engine. My discs are cracked and Nissan dealer said it looked as though car had been tracked and would not cover discs. I haven't tracked it but don't know about last owner
Protegimus
Old 4th September 2013, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremelimo View Post
To be honest I find standards ok,my son races a Radical sr3rs and I track it,it doesn't seem to wear the pads at all and stops amazing, I just think nissan got the discs wrong in the first place.do the latter cars crack discs also?
sorry, let me get this straight.

Are you saying that because a radical which weighs about 600kg is ok on its standard discs on track, that Nissan made a mistake on the 1.8 tonne 200mph gtr?

The Nissan stock discs are not up to the task, but it's hardly the same task!

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Discs

I've always been a firm believer cars are for the purpose,yes it's 190 mph car, but so are Porsche and Ferrari, I don't see them having cracked discs, I had a Cls 63 out of warranty and Merc replaced calipers discs and pads on a warranty claim because the car was low mileage.Aftermarket discs do the job, so has Nissan built inferior discs?the radical goes out in all weathers and pads don't stick to the discs?yes the Nissan weighs a lot more but the Radical is braking much latter from much higher speeds with slicks.All I'm saying is Nissan didn't get it quite right and owners have to pay for it.by the way my car is 2 previous lady owners who say car has never been near a track
Old 4th September 2013, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
willgts is USC2014 4WD Winner
GTROC Member

Cars owned: 330bhp Mk2 Leon Cupra, Nissan GTR
To be honest they can crack with hard road use if brakes are not allowed to warm up and cool down gently. I can guarantee you that a GTR is harder on brakes than a Radical.
By all means pester the Main dealers to see if you can get some discs out of them, but you would be the only one I know of to manage it. AP, Alcon or PF discs will means you don't have to worry about the discs cracking again and they are cheaper that OE.
Good luck which ever route you go.