Who to Tune too? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th October 2013, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meanbean is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Who to Tune too?

My MY12 550 is due an upgrade to Stage 4 620/650. (not at any stage atm)

Who is deserving of my well earned coin?

Who is more reliable?

Litchfield?
ACspeedtech?

Both of these company's i've never dealt with, or Nissan themselves?

Needing your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Give SVM a call....
Old 26th October 2013, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
DanielM3 is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35
I have the my12 and stage4 done by Litchfield,110% he seems to be most peoples choice

Old 26th October 2013, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
I have the my12 and stage4 done by Litchfield,110% he seems to be most peoples choice
Not quite sure how you figure that out?? There's tons of very well respected tuners who have looked after a ton of owners cars on here. I would suggest the OP's gives a few a call and discuss what he is looking for and perhaps do some research on some.

Last edited by Stevie76; 26th October 2013 at 11:56 PM..
Stevie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I have many friends with GT-Rs we all had work done by Litchfield were all 110% happy....

THATS HOW I FIGURED THAT OUT....!
Old 27th October 2013, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Litchfield, get my vote.
Old 27th October 2013, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

So you and your mates had work done and that equates to 'most peoples choice'.....well done!

YOU ARE A CLEVER CHAP IF YOU FIGURED THAT OUT BY YOURSELF.....
Old 27th October 2013, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
MattGTR750 is Lambo time

SVM
Old 27th October 2013, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Stevie76 grow yourself....up....!

The question was "who is more reliable?"
Lichfield or acspeedtech.....no mention of svm

Couple to many Stella,I understand...you are forgiven....
Old 27th October 2013, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Stevie76 grow yourself....up....!

The question was "who is more reliable?"
Lichfield or acspeedtech.....no mention of svm

Couple to many Stella,I understand...you are forgiven....
Read it again.......and learn how to quote properly as you have missed the first question the OP asked.

I would also suggest a quick English course as that first attempt at a dig is pretty poor chap.....give it another go and see if you can do better second time around!
Old 27th October 2013, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
BND
BND is done with mods ... for now.
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 and previously Evo X, Evo IX, Z33, S15, S14
Litchfield
Litchfield Stage 4.25, Litchfield 102 exhaust and downpipes, Litchfield suspension kit, Advan GT wheels, MPSS 285/335, Alcon 396/380mm discs with Pagid RS29 pads, Rays wheel nuts, tints, GoPro Hero3 Black Edition, Sparco harness bar, Stillen skid plate, Litchfield bellhousing

GTR now sold.
BND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I am not on here to argue with some silly troll,the question was clear to me,the reply was my opinion and I stand by what I said....
Old 27th October 2013, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
I wouldn't say Stevie is a troll, good guy IMO.

But tbh I think you should be having your handbag fight it someone's thread.

To the OP you can't go wrong with any of the tuners on here
Old 27th October 2013, 12:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not on here to argue with some silly troll,the question was clear to me,the reply was my opinion and I stand by what I said....
Oh shame I had high hopes for you there.....hopefully future posts get better!

OP.....you will find a load of threads on this type of question but most people stick to one tuner so you rarely get 'objective' feedback from individuals who have experienced more than one.

I myself have used SVM, Litchfields, SRD and Whiffbitz at various points have had had great service from them all. SVM and Litchfields are my 2 closest tuners and of the two I prefer SVM. As per an earlier post i would give a few a call and discuss exactly what you are looking for and you can make a choice from there. I would always recommend trying more than one so you can experience what they have to offer and appreciate the differences. Ultimately you wont go wrong with any of the main tuners as all now very experienced with the 35's.
Old 27th October 2013, 12:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Yes your right svm used to be great with my Cosworth..and Litchfield is great with my GT-R.
Old 27th October 2013, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
bladerider is naked and covered in peanut butter....maybe !!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Alas, some Germans at the moment !!
My 2p's worth.

Given what you want is little more than a few ancilliaries and some boost then it may be more pertinent to look at this geographically, as most the good tuners should be able to accomplish what you want without any kind of problem.

You may want to consider things like what ecu access you use for future mods (and trust me, even if you dont think it now there almost certainly will be future mods lol) - lots of people have gone ecutek only to then decide that syvecs gives them other features further down the line thus wasting a couple of thousand for example. This may have some bearing on who you get to do the work or map it.

You may want the added security a big tuner like SVM or Litchfields give as far as warranty goes, or maybe get the work done via Middleshursts or an HPC with a tuner affiliate that then has Nissan warranty backup.

Also think about gearbox and other software and whether you have had any of the known faults and recalls all done before starting mods so there can be no finger pointing when turning up with a genuine problem and a now recently modded car.

J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bladerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 06:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
Lichfields you won't regret it.....simples

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post

To the OP you can't go wrong with any of the tuners on here
I'd disagree with that.

Bad reviews have a habit of being suppressed and I suspect every tuner has had unhappy customers.

There's a great saying that says: You don't know what you don't know.

My vote goes to litchfield, but Iain himself had to earn my trust and did that by being consistent across many platforms over more than a decade. I suspect if you surveyed owners on here, as a company litchfield would have the most gtr tuning experience on here (measurable in ecutek licenses very easily). He's also supported and developed products with the same great tuning brands from the beginning and now others are jumping on the bandwagon.

Eg. Ecutek is now very much at the forefront, Alcon brakes, they developed the pilot supersport with Michelin, they were using ASNU literally three years before everyone else decided they were the best option.

I think they innovate best. They have worked with oem manufacturers to produce their Bilstein and Eibsch suspension and recently were the first in the world to put Borg Warner efr turbos into a gtr.

These are just my reasons for liking them. They've recently tuned Robb Huff,the touring car world champion's car, and I gather he's happy with the modifications made. I also know that a lot of his products have been developed with the help if great minds in the F1 industry, and it shows in the final products.

So, that's my bias out of the way, I'm also a fan of Antony at indigo gt, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever deal with and has been doing this for years.

I've not dealt with SVM, but you can't deny the performance barriers they've broken through, constantly bringing drag times down and top speeds up - they're a very dedicated team.

For mapping alone, Ben Linney has plenty of experience and then there's the very well respected Ryan G, who is directly involved with the production of the syvecs ecu which controls all the very fastest gtrs in the world but is also more than capable of mapping any platform, including Cobb and ecutek.

Then look through at the quality of both builds in the projects section done by SRD. Also established and very capable. The pictures alone show you their level of attention to detail.

In short most can do what you need. Sone better than others, but the best way to decide is read a lot of posts. Starting a thread is just going to get fanboys (including me) to post - pick who I picked.

Last edited by Adamantium; 27th October 2013 at 07:58 AM..
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 07:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Forgot to mention the litchfield warranty which covers any mods they do up to way over 1000bhp engine builds.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

That's a bit of a 50/50 call, I don't doubt that some bad reviews aren't posted up. But On the other had there is cases when a bad review has been put up before the tuner has a chance to sort the issue out.

Most cases I've seen if there is an issue then the tuner is more than happy to help. In regards to who's the most reliable it's a tricky one.

I'm with you Adam, litchfield gets my vote. I bent Iain's ear on the phone for 6 month about which tuning route to go down and is a wealth of knowledge.