Official Nismo and MY14 Launch inc. LIVE STREAM!! - Page 5 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th November 2013, 09:14 AM   #81 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
I have to say, contrary to a lot of opinion, I absolutely and totally love it. Love that it is OTT (if you want subtle buy an F10 M5) and looks utterly race car evil.

Agree with Rich add the value to the standard car (new) and it isn't crazy at £125K (if that is true) but one hopes the exhaust etc etc are all in and not stupid £10K options as rumoured.

I now have to go get myself a balaclava and arrange finance.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:21 AM   #82 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG350Z View Post
I have to say, contrary to a lot of opinion, I absolutely and totally love it. Love that it is OTT (if you want subtle buy an F10 M5) and looks utterly race car evil.

Agree with Rich add the value to the standard car (new) and it isn't crazy at £125K (if that is true) but one hopes the exhaust etc etc are all in and not stupid £10K options as rumoured.

I now have to go get myself a balaclava and arrange finance.
My concern is if it's not got carbon brakes and a transmision cooler.
I have a feeling it doesn't have either.

Full details will be out within two weeks apparently and I've got a tentative deposit down for a NISMO.
BUT, if it's not got the carbon brakes and transmission cooler you'd want to mod it and it doesn't make sense then IMO.

If I bought one, it'd be to keep how it is and the gearbox getting hot on track days would really bug me.

In that case as much as I love the NIMSO it would atually be better to buy a MY14 because I'd feel wrong buying a £125k-£130k car and buggering about with it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 09:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post

Full details will be out within two weeks apparently and I've got a tentative deposit down for a NISMO.
BUT, if it's not got the carbon brakes and transmission cooler you'd want to mod it and it doesn't make sense then IMO.

If I bought one, it'd be to keep how it is and the gearbox getting hot on track days would really bug me.

In that case as much as I love the NIMSO it would atually be better to buy a MY14 because I'd feel wrong buying a £125k-£130k car and buggering about with it.
I agree and I have enquired (subject to price and spec) as well. Totally with you on not modding it as this will be a rare car and keeping it standard would, be, in my opinion, the right thing to do. The brake cooling looks to be better with those side slats on the front bumper but we shall have to wait and see for official pricing and spec.

Fingers crossed. Worst case my MY10 isn't exactly boring!

Old 20th November 2013, 09:48 AM   #84 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post

The two issues you raise Richard are becoming less of an issue as the brakes have a lot more cooling but can be changed relatively cheaply and the transmission cooler is less relevant as the model years have passed. On my car the tranny temps only go above 120 if I do more than 10 flat out laps of the Silverstone GP circuit and never go above 125 on the Ring. On the MY13 I am reliably informed that the issue has virtually been eradicated apart from a trackday in Death Valley which is not planned on the 2014 events calendar yet.

I personally like what they have done (less the red stripe) and would, if I acquired one, probably keep it standard.

We will have to see what the actual cost of circa £125k gives as standard and what the extras will add to make it into a proper track machine with a warranty!
Old 20th November 2013, 09:50 AM   #85 (permalink)
1JBK is the bomb!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

i love it, looking to add red pin stripes to my black TP now lol!

bit like wot porch do with there GT3 RS's , spice them up , loud and proud!
Old 20th November 2013, 12:50 PM   #86 (permalink)
paul__k is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

I just wonder what a change of tyres and a 4 driver competition on the 2014 stock car would do to the lap time.
Krumm is arguably a faster driver than suzuki?

I believe the ring time was set with softer Ohlins suspension from the GT3 cars but not sure if this is true.
Old 20th November 2013, 02:29 PM   #87 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul__k View Post
I just wonder what a change of tyres and a 4 driver competition on the 2014 stock car would do to the lap time.
Krumm is arguably a faster driver than suzuki?

I believe the ring time was set with softer Ohlins suspension from the GT3 cars but not sure if this is true.
I believe all the drivers were within a couple of seconds of each other and Seb Buemi was on course to beat Krumm's time but ran out of fuel! I do not think the tyres would have given the car much more and in fact a set of Toyo's might have equalled of bettered the times.

The main difference is in the aero package and the stiffness of the chassis with the upgraded suspension. To achieve a 7min 8 second lap is incredible and even with a bigger rear spoiler that will no doubt be available on the Track Pack version is mighty. I cannot imagine getting anywhere close to those times in anything other than a Radical or similar and that would require a full set of adult plastic pants and nappy liners

We need to know more about the options available on the Nismo GT-R as I believe the total cost with everything on including ceramics would be close to a Porsche Turbo S - should know in a few weeks....
Old 20th November 2013, 04:09 PM   #88 (permalink)
splking is still enjoying his 09 GTR
GTROC Member

This is not me suggesting that the Nismo package isn't impressive but...

Documentation - aeromotions

Aeromotions wing, developed on a GTR in the wind tunnel, creates substantially more downforce than the GTR wing was claimed to create (100kg at 300km/h for Nismo wing vs 250kg for the aeromotions). Active too so reduced downforce on straights and it's not even the top of the line model.

Add the supporting front lip, the Alcon CCM brakes and a stage 4 upgrade with Litchfield suspension and do we think a My09/10 car with these upgrades could challenge the Nismo for ring lap times? Possibly right? Or am i chatting complete rubbish.

H
SRD 1000R | Jun 4.0L EX engine | Litchfield EFR kit | Alcon CCX | Rays G25's | Litchfield suspension | PW Pro wrap | Sextons full audio upgrade inc. legertas 2015 nav system | HKS transmission & diff cooler | Recaro Sporster CS seats w/Takata seat harness | Aeromotions aerodynamic upgrades | KR carbon accessories | PPG gears 1-6 | XM 18 plate billet clutch | Syvecs S8 Ecu | Whiteline sway bars & bushes | Clearcorners & MY14 lights
splking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 04:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

You are speaking quite a bit of sense as I seriously looked at having one of these fitted to my car. Surprisingly, the thing that put me off was the intrusion into the boot for the mechanism as I wouldn't be able to fit my four (illegal) 20 litre jerry cans in for track days.

However, as much as the brakes and suspension you mention are fantastic, the stage 4 great and the supporting front lip?, you will still have the older floorpan which gives you less stability and downforce, along with the less rigid set up and more weight than the Nismo has.

To get a time that is within a minute of Krumm's would be utterly amazing and you need to consider what you will be using the car primarily for. Nissan have proved that it is not all about sheer power, it is about rigidity, lightness with the carbon panels, cooling brakes and downforce that allows the speed to be carried through the corners. It also requires a considerable amount of skill and large 'bollcks'
Old 20th November 2013, 04:56 PM   #90 (permalink)
rajkot is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

wow, its stunning to see how many of you GTR boys are cynical about Nissan about the Nismo GTR!

I see talk about how its a waste of money and that you might as well Mod a car instead.

You guys should be glad that Nissan is ploughing money into the GTR (which unfortunately isn't actually a hot seller) so that you can get a manufacturer-backed out of the box race-ready GTR which has astonishing performance.

no disrespect to the likes of Litchfield but i'm sure that Nissan's R&D budgets far surpass those of the aftermarket, so buying a Nismo should give you peace of mind that everything will work together...

FYI i'm not averse to modding, to compare a modded car to an OEM special is cool - but to constantly berate the OEM car it is a bit foolish - after all Nissan is ploughing considerable resources into maintaining the GTR's position as one of the best sports/super cars that money can buy. If they didn't change it at all since 2008 you'd see reviews commenting on how it is not dated etc...

It also addresses the naysayers who at times have said that while the GTR is quick around the ring, its not really very good on track (I recall early criticisms that have stuck around that trans temperatures rise very quickly, the car is not rugged enough for outright track work a-la Porsche gt3 etc). the nismo squarely addresses that criticism and shuts the naysayers up while raising the gtr profile considerably...

or would you prefer Nissan to pull the plug altogether like they did with their mid-90s global high performance car, the z32 300zx ?
Old 20th November 2013, 05:13 PM   #91 (permalink)
New Reg is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: McLaren 12c
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkot View Post
wow, its stunning to see how many of you GTR boys are cynical about Nissan about the Nismo GTR!

I see talk about how its a waste of money and that you might as well Mod a car instead.

You guys should be glad that Nissan is ploughing money into the GTR (which unfortunately isn't actually a hot seller) so that you can get a manufacturer-backed out of the box race-ready GTR which has astonishing performance.
I should be glad that Nissan take a GTR, tweak the ECU a bit, add some Aero bits, change some interior odds and sods, a few mechanical tweaks here and there, stick a little Nismo badge on it so it is 'exclusive' and then charge me around £125k for it?

The Nismo GTR was created first and foremost to garner a bit of publicity based on the Ring time it can set and to get the GTR name out there again after a few quiet years following a huge swathe of publicity when it was first released. If they can sell a few at the same time so much the better.
Old 20th November 2013, 05:30 PM   #92 (permalink)
splking is still enjoying his 09 GTR
GTROC Member

Rajkot, I was merely proposing the debate, and note that my initial line was 'This is not me suggesting that the Nismo package isn't impressive'...

I appreciate the R&D that goes into these cars but it is also worth giving credit to aftermarket tuners too. Note that when Nissan had bellhousing issues they worked in conjunction with Litchfield who had fabricated improved bearings to cure the rattles. The Litchfield suspension was designed with substantial R&D was it not, I believe they even went to the ring to conduct tests. Alcon have ploughed considerable resources into development of the BBK kits they offer, as have tuning firms in extracting more power from the car.

I am seriously considering the Nismo package, i think the car looks great but I would be curious as to what my car for example might do in the racing drivers hands... and please before people dive in with opinions note that I am not stating that I would think my car would be quicker, not in the slightest, or that it would be better in any way, I am merely opening it up for debate.

H
Old 20th November 2013, 05:31 PM   #93 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkot View Post

no disrespect to the likes of Litchfield but i'm sure that Nissan's R&D budgets far surpass those of the aftermarket, so buying a Nismo should give you peace of mind that everything will work together...

FYI i'm not averse to modding, to compare a modded car to an OEM special is cool - but to constantly berate the OEM car it is a bit foolish - after all Nissan is ploughing considerable resources into maintaining the GTR's position as one of the best sports/super cars that money can buy. If they didn't change it at all since 2008 you'd see reviews commenting on how it is not dated etc...

It also addresses the naysayers who at times have said that while the GTR is quick around the ring, its not really very good on track (I recall early criticisms that have stuck around that trans temperatures rise very quickly, the car is not rugged enough for outright track work a-la Porsche gt3 etc). the nismo squarely addresses that criticism and shuts the naysayers up while raising the gtr profile considerably...

or would you prefer Nissan to pull the plug altogether like they did with their mid-90s global high performance car, the z32 300zx ?
I think you may be wanting to be provocative regarding the many posts that have been made both on this thread and several others.

The majority of GT-R owners have embraced this Nismo product and the amount of R & D that has gone into it's production. Some have memories of the V-Spec that didn't sell in massive numbers but did create a 'halo' effect for Nissan and the rest of the GT-R's.

Some of the posts are being written because no price has been officially announced and are conscious of the V-Spec costing twice as much as the standard car with no extra power but in an exclusive colour and some bits added that were difficult to justify the price tag. Probably in a few years hence, the car will be so exclusive (only one sold in the UK) that the value will be realised.

Personally I really love the Nismo and could easily be a customer for one, as I appreciate the development that has gone into it, and the fact that in standard track pack form it will be a mega track day car that will retain it's warranty if I keep it standard.

It will be rare and may be one of the last of the 'high' emission cars that Nissan produce before legislation dictates otherwise.

Therefore in summary, I love it. I may not like the price, but compared with the competition it represents great value for such incredible performance.

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 20th November 2013 at 05:34 PM..
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 05:44 PM   #94 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Well said John.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th November 2013, 06:26 PM   #95 (permalink)
MS33 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Series III White R33 GTR with Nismo 400R bodykit
My cousin has just told me one of his friends has ordered one, lucky bast*rd.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:19 AM   #96 (permalink)
rajkot is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

you guys are right, sorry for my overreaction.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:21 AM   #97 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and just occasionally a few will disagree.

That is what a forum is all about and we respect most opinions including yours.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:21 AM   #98 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS33 View Post
My cousin has just told me one of his friends has ordered one, lucky bast*rd.
A few people have deposits in.

Full details, spec and cost will be out in the next week or two... then you choose what you want and spend far too much on a rather nice car.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:39 AM   #99 (permalink)
Lewis_08 is now enjoying a BNR34 V-spec and the TS Super GTR

I like it , i want it LOL

I love the fact that the GTR tradition is being kept up with Nismo models
Old 21st November 2013, 02:03 PM   #100 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Just my little opinion, I don't like it at all, looks tarty and tuppaware, I cannot fathom how that price can be seen as a bargain, but good luck to buyers