Official Nismo and MY14 Launch inc. LIVE STREAM!! - Page 7 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st November 2013, 10:01 PM   #121 (permalink)
dumdum is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
I expect you've all seen PH's review...

RE: Nissan GT-R MY14 and NISMO: Driven - PistonHeads
Very interesting that they think the ride comfort is now sorted, I wonder if Chris Harris will do a back to back with the Litchfield model (he asks suggestively) he tested against the R8 and 997 turbo s
Old 21st November 2013, 10:07 PM   #122 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Cars owned: MY13 R8 V10 spyder
Id love to see what time Michael Krumm would put in with a modded GTR
Old 21st November 2013, 10:10 PM   #123 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNN View Post
Id love to see what time Michael Krumm would put in with a modded GTR
I thought he already had?

Old 21st November 2013, 10:21 PM   #124 (permalink)
robsm is red
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

I love it, and only hope they continue to push development in their own unique ways. It must be difficult to justify the GTR for Nissan's accounts.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:31 PM   #125 (permalink)
DonnyMac is Enjoying the Porsche C4S Cabrio after finally selling the Maserati

Cars owned: Maserati GranSport :: Ariel Atom 3 300 :: Honda FireBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS30-SB View Post
You'd have to get your theoretical team of British and/or American engineers to create the R35 from scratch, and then 'tune' it, for me to take you seriously.

But they didn't, did they?

Gotta love GT-R 'fans'. So many of them only open their mouth to put their own foot inside...
Passive aggressive, ladies knickers on? As you seem to have a touch of the mental.

If you thought before you wrote you'd be dangerous, so let's just get this straight from your cross-dressing perspective...

You believe a handful of NISMO engineers built the original GT-R (or even MY14) from scratch, do you, well do you?

Oh, no, they didn't, Nissan did.

It was a bunch of (insert nationality here) engineers that 'improved' it for a certain purpose.

At this point I'd like to quote one of my angry cross-dressing heros if you don't mind -

Quote:
Gotta love GT-R 'fans'. So many of them only open their mouth to put their own foot inside...
Have an angry [email protected], you'll feel better and it'll take some pressure off your brain.

Toodle-pip.

X
Old 21st November 2013, 11:32 PM   #126 (permalink)
PS30-SB is having a nice cup of tea

Cars owned: Genuine HS30-H x 2, HLS30, Replica PS30-SB project, genuine KPGC10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMac View Post
Passive aggressive, ladies knickers on? As you seem to have a touch of the mental.
Just responding to the tripe you wrote ( and continue to write ), sweetheart....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMac
You believe a handful of NISMO engineers built the original GT-R (or even MY14) from scratch, do you, well do you?

Oh, no, they didn't, Nissan did.
I shouldn't need to point out that NISMO are part of the Nissan fold, and that they are a long way from an independent 'tuner'. For one thing, much of the reference data for development and production of the R35 GT-R - as well as the full might and power of the OEM parts manufacturers ( like Dunlop, for example ) - is fully accessible to the NISMO engineers in a way that indy 'tuners' could only dream about. Don't fall for all that recent distance-making PR about NISMO being Nissan's AMG, as they are still very much within the Nissan organisation and interact accordingly. The advantages of that should not need any explanation.

But there are disadvantages too. NISMO don't have such a free hand as any indy 'tuner'. Their product - especially in the current economic / political climate - is necessarily conservative. For many reasons.

So all this talk about what indy 'tuners' can do for less money is tits on a bull. That's always been the case, hasn't it? You - we - should be glad that a mainstream manufacturer like Nissan creates such a car and has an in-house performance-oriented offshoot that it nominates to take things one step further at all.

You ask ( rhetorically? ) whether "British" engineers "...couldn't create a similar product...?", and the short answer is that - well - they haven't, have they? Like I say, 'tuning' somebody else's product is not the same thing as creating it in the first place.

I was living in Japan in 1989 when the BNR32 debuted. A Skyline wearing the hallowed 'GT-R' badge had a lot to live up to after a 16 year hiatus, but it exceeded expectations. After a few months the R32 NISMO homologation version debuted, and to spot one on the street was to see Brigadoon - a cause for excitement and remark. We knew that it was something special. Did people then piss and whine that the R32 NISMO "didn't offer anything a tuner couldn't do for half the money"? No, they didn't. Because they understood why it existed, what it was for and what it meant. And it still means something now. So should it be with the R35 NISMO.

But probably not to people like you....
Old 21st November 2013, 11:37 PM   #127 (permalink)

Thank you for a more considered response, bar the last bit.

Sweet cheeks
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:36 AM   #128 (permalink)
nismoman is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Founder Member

Thank you John ,wise constructive comments ,from someone like yourself that has been there at the forefront off using a gtr on track and can fully appreciate how good the new nismo gtr looks , and as a passenger of yours round the ring in your gtr ,AND WHAT ALL YOU KNOW ALL KEY BOARD WARRIORS MAY NOT KNOW , there's no one on this forum ,who has spent more time on track than John in a R35 GTR and believe me the lad can drive and will fully appreciate how stunning the nismo gtr times are round the ring .
nismoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:46 AM   #129 (permalink)
wmd_gtr is wanting to mod
GTROC Member

If I had the money I would buy the Nismo in a heartbeat. think it is absolutely amazing!
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:48 AM   #130 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoman View Post
Thank you John ,wise constructive comments ,from someone like yourself that has been there at the forefront off using a gtr on track and can fully appreciate how good the new nismo gtr looks , and as a passenger of yours round the ring in your gtr ,AND WHAT ALL YOU KNOW ALL KEY BOARD WARRIORS MAY NOT KNOW , there's no one on this forum ,who has spent more time on track than John in a R35 GTR and believe me the lad can drive and will fully appreciate how stunning the nismo gtr times are round the ring .
Well, at least that's cleared it up. We can all stop thinking for ourselves now. Phew!

John's been on the track more than anyone in the world, so he knows best. No need for the opinions for the people that just use it on track less tha John......we don't need to form our own opinions, nismoman and John have got it covered. Thanks nismoman and John. Thanks heaps

No one else on here can appreciate it, as nismoman says. Dont forget he's been a passenger in his around the ring. The keyboard warriors had better watch it, eh?

I think we should all be very grateful to nismoman and John. They are the best.

Please close the forum as its all sorted now. Any questions about anything, just ask nismoman and John because we havent been on the "forefront of using a gtr on track and can fully appreciate how good the new nismo gtr looks"

Shame on us all. We must try harder to be like nismoman and John.

Thanks for the attitude adjustment nismoman and John.
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:57 AM   #131 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd_gtr View Post
If I had the money I would buy the Nismo in a heartbeat. think it is absolutely amazing!
You say that... but...

I am having a bit of a crisis at the moment.

Looking at it, I could stretch to a NISMO GT-R.
But that's £125k(ish) tied up in a car.
In a rental property that's around £600 per month rising year on year...

I couldn't bring myself to modify it.
I'd want to really look after it and pamper it... so no winter use etc...

I am wondering if getting one is actually a good idea.
Over something that's 90% as good and 50% or less of the price.

I love the NISMO GT-R, the look, the heritage and such.

But £125k?
It's a lot of money have sitting there in a car.

I'm seriously thinking that even if you have the money and can go for it... the obsession to keep it nice, not mod it and keep it preserved would actually mean it's not as much fun to own.
Other than turning up at shows in it.

As I said... crisis.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:05 PM   #132 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Its a GTR with some aero. Why is everyone falling for this marketing ploy. Its mental

Do you seriously think, it some kind of magic car? Laws of physics still apply I'm afraid.

Im quite sure a well sorted modded GTR (the L17CHO car) would place similar times than that anyway. If driven by a professional who doesn't care if he ends in the armco. Jog bloggs could get near those times.

Most people on here like to drive in a straight line anyway.

Jus' sayin'
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:07 PM   #133 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
You say that... but...

But £125k?

I'm seriously thinking that even if you have the money and can go for it... the obsession to keep it nice, not mod it and keep it preserved would actually mean it's not as much fun to own.

As I said... crisis.
In other words, it's an exercise in pointlessness! Most of these will probably end up in the hands of collectors and never thrashed round the Ring which highlights the irrelevance of its time. I couldn't give 2 shits about who's driven what, when and where. For me it would boil down to whether I could afford it or not and, at the minute, I can't.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:18 PM   #134 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
In other words, it's an exercise in pointlessness! Most of these will probably end up in the hands of collectors and never thrashed round the Ring.
Yes, that's where I am leaning.
I tracked my MY11.

I wouldn't even consider buying another GT-R if I wasn't going to track it.
That's the place where they come alive.
Not 3-4 seconds of WOT on an A road.

Binning a £50k MY11 on track -> Very inconvenient.
Binning a £125k NISMO on track -> holy fudge !!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CT17; 22nd November 2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:28 PM   #135 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoman View Post
... there's no one on this forum ,who has spent more time on track than John in a R35 GTR and believe me the lad can drive and will fully appreciate how stunning the nismo gtr times are round the ring .
I would certainly dispute that, particularly WRT the Ring and I am sure that John will back that statement up.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:36 PM   #136 (permalink)
splking is still enjoying his 09 GTR
GTROC Member

I would love to see what the L17CHO car could do in a professional drivers hands. As people on here have said the Nismo is a fully sorted car in terms of the balance of aero/power/braking etc... but let's not discount a modded car yet without any data. Do you think Iain might lend his LM800 car to one of the pro's for a full on hot lap? Now that I would love to see.

H
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:52 PM   #137 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splking View Post
I would love to see what the L17CHO car could do in a professional drivers hands. As people on here have said the Nismo is a fully sorted car in terms of the balance of aero/power/braking etc... but let's not discount a modded car yet without any data. Do you think Iain might lend his LM800 car to one of the pro's for a full on hot lap? Now that I would love to see.

H
But it's not designed for the same purpose.

The NISMO is designed like the stock GT-R, to be driven by regular people.
With a factory backed 3 year warranty.

The L17CHO car is a modded GT-R that would be a liability in "Joe Public"s hands.
There is absolutely no doubt that a well tuned car is quicker in the right hands.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:59 PM   #138 (permalink)

Glad to see that with daylight some sensible discussion is emerging.

I feel for CT (is it John? (Edit: sorry Richard!)); without a shadow of a doubt the NISMO is a stunning piece of kit, would I shell out an estimated £50k extra over a new MY14 car - no, but that's me.

What is the difference between a MY14 and a NISMO, is there a definitive list?

Once you've shelled out the extra £50k you still do not have the mythical car that produced the seemingly impossible lap time, that'll take the addition of the 'track pack', another £20k maybe, who knows?

What's the difference between the NISMO and the NISMO with the 'Track pack'? It's my understanding that it's different suspension, a trick wing and a new map - each of which were tweaked by the NISMO team at the Nurburgring over the course of a few days to attain the lap time that we can discuss with our buddies down the pub because we each hold a little of this cars DNA back in our garages at home.

This brings me back full circle to where I entered this thread; I don't doubt that you could give our UK engineers the basic NISMO car and £10-£15k, the same driver and get close to the same numbers - to say otherwise I think is odd, which is what I said and why I'm here in this thread.

No keyboard warrior - I just have faith in good olde English engineers (didn't we build Japan's navy for them before the 2nd world war?).

Anyhow, back to CT and his 1st world problem, to buy a NISMO or not?

Clearly this is subjective because I'm talking about what I would do in similar circumstances, but if you're going to get one it has to be the best right, so that means 'track pack' and possibly upward of £70,000 over the base car - you may well have exclusivity, you'd certainly feel proud when at shows, but would you drive it the same and surely you could never put an aftermarket airfreshener in it.

As said above, I concur that it is a marketing excercise to maintain headlines for an end of line car before the new (is it MY15 or 16) GT-R that will have new toys, a new body shape and KERs!

This is where my hard earned pennies will be going.

Righto, I'm off to a track now so I can be a hero in my own lifetime...

Last edited by DonnyMac; 22nd November 2013 at 01:01 PM..
DonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:05 PM   #139 (permalink)
wmd_gtr is wanting to mod
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
You say that... but...

But £125k?

As I said... crisis.
If you have the money then why not go for it, I understand the property comment, but if you already have the income where you could buy this car and still live the same life that your living then why not?

You get it, you can sell it (admittedly at a big loss, but you will still get a lot of money)

If you don't get it you might think "wish I got that Nismo"

Like I said if I had the money I would do it.
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:46 PM   #140 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
I would certainly dispute that, particularly WRT the Ring and I am sure that John will back that statement up.
Eddie you are the GTROC Ringmaster. Although I have done many many laps this year around the Ring and other circuits, you show how smoothness means pace. My attack method is sometimes not as quick and certainly tougher on the car.