Nismo Track Pack is as fast as the 918 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th November 2013, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
trondhla is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Nissan SR Turbo
Nismo Track Pack is as fast as the 918

Some info on the Nismo Track Pack vs 918 commented by Michael Krumm:
Japanbloggen - auto motor & sport

Michael Krumm, whose mother is from sweden hence swedish text here, has compared the 918 time vs his 7.08 time and is not impressed about the 918.
He comments that the only place where the 918 is faster is in Schwedenkreutz where the electric motor kicks and gives the car a boost. All other places the cars where equally fast and the 918 drove on semislick..
He has driven the car on the same tires as the Porsche on almost 7.00 but chose to drive on street legal tires because that is what the customer buys....

Jag fick en pratstund med honom och Michael var inte sen att spä på fejden med Porsche och betonar att deras tid sattes med en bil i orginalskick.

Han har kollat på klippet med Porsche 918 Spyder och var inte imponerad.
"Elmotorn ger en tydlig boost mot Schwedenkreutz, men resten av varvet har vi samma mellantider."
Michael började också spekulera i val av däck.
"De körde med en form av semislicks. Jag har kört några varv på liknande däck som Porsches och då körde jag precis över sju blankt i trafik. Men vi valde att sätta vår officiella tid på däck lagliga för gatan, så som bilen levereras till kund. Vi har ingen anledning till att översälja."
Old 19th November 2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Cars owned: Porsche 997 Turbo, U.K. R34 GTR V-spec Black, New Smart
Porsche does

MPG (combined): 85.6mpg

For a start.

GTR is a lovely car but its not all about ring times. If it were we would all be driving Radicals lol

Last edited by GTRNICK; 19th November 2013 at 04:17 PM..
GTRNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
TEAM_KHAN is enjoying the new MR17 GTR
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R33 GTST, R34 GTR, R35 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRNICK View Post
Porsche does

For a start.

GTR is a lovely car but its not all about ring times. If it were we would all be driving Radicals lol
The GTR was built for ring times, not for mpg

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
TEAM_KHAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th November 2013, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Reg is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: McLaren 12c
Quote:
Porsche does

For a start.

When you are buying what is first a foremost a performance car I imagine Ring times will have a bit more resonance than what MPG it does. Especially if it is a £530,000 hyper car that's not much quicker than a relatively cheap as chips Jap wagon.
Old 19th November 2013, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Porsche does

Is that for real? It must be a plug in hybrid at that MPG - ie we are calling the electric 'free'.

A prius will only do 70mpg, and from my liited knowledge of both cars the Porsche is heavier and has a 4.6l engine vs the Prius 1.8.

I'd love to see a 918 with the batteries taken out and just RWD and see how it compared to the 'green' version. I bet it would be under 1200kg without the electricity.

I'd also like to see a forged LM750 GTR with Alcon's post a ring time.
Old 19th November 2013, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
saucyboy is Enjoying every journey!!

Cars owned: Noble M12 GTO-3, 996 Turbo, Now- 172 Cup, R32 GT-R, R35 GT-R
Quote:
Porsche does

For a start.

Agree it's not all about lap times. But it's still mighty impressive for a big old barge
Old 19th November 2013, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM_KHAN View Post
The GTR was built for ring times, not for mpg
Yes and the Porsche was not this is my point!
Old 19th November 2013, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Reg View Post
When you are buying what is first a foremost a performance car I imagine Ring times will have a bit more resonance than what MPG it does. Especially if it is a £530,000 hyper car that's not much quicker than a relatively cheap as chips Jap wagon.
If it was not for Porsche building cars like the 918 or even the simple turbo model then where would we be?

The Porsche 918 is the latest tech out there it combines performance with fuel efficiency and also looks good.

In maybe 5 to 10 years to come cars like this will be a similar cost to the GTR now but for now you want the latest and greatest you have to pay for it.

Also if you don't consider a hybrid that was not built for the RING which is 11secs quicker a whole lot quicker then I don't know what to say to you. I do know race teams plough huge lumps of cash into trying to be 1 sec quicker!
Old 19th November 2013, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post
Is that for real? It must be a plug in hybrid at that MPG - ie we are calling the electric 'free'.

A prius will only do 70mpg, and from my liited knowledge of both cars the Porsche is heavier and has a 4.6l engine vs the Prius 1.8.

I'd love to see a 918 with the batteries taken out and just RWD and see how it compared to the 'green' version. I bet it would be under 1200kg without the electricity.

I'd also like to see a forged LM750 GTR with Alcon's post a ring time.
Here is the full spec from car.

Porsche 918 Spyder (2013) final specifications and prices

Porsche told CAR it expected final 918 Spyders to produce more power and better economy than the test mules – and Stuttgart has delivered. Final specs for the V8 hybrid supercar have been released, and it's as quick as you'd hope (for £660,000...)

Porsche's 918 Spyder: the vital stats:

Engine: 4.6-litre V8, 600bhp @ 8600rpm, 390lb ft @ 6600rpm. Engine redline @ 9150rpm
Hybrid module: lithium-ion batteries, electric motors, 154bhp
Total power: 875bhp
Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch, all-wheel drive (electric motor drives fronts, motor and engine drive rears)
0-62mph: 2.8sec
0-124mph: 7.9sec
0-186mph: 23.0sec
Top speed: 211mph
CO2: 79g/km
Electric-only driving range/top speed: 18 miles/93mph
Battery charge time: four hours (25mins with optional Porsche Speed Charging Station)
Weight: 1675kg (unladen), Weissach package cuts 35kg from kerbweight
Price: ***8364;781,155 (£661,000), without Weissach package /

Since these performance times were released they have improved which you can see here.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=28877

0-60 mph 2.5s
0-124mph 7.2s
0-186mph 19.9s

Last edited by GTRNICK; 19th November 2013 at 06:36 PM..
Old 19th November 2013, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyboy View Post
Agree it's not all about lap times. But it's still mighty impressive for a big old barge
I do not disagree with you it is always gonna have a place in my heart but I just feel that sometimes people miss the point of what some cars are built for.
Old 19th November 2013, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Also if you don't consider a hybrid that was not built for the RING which is 11secs quicker a whole lot quicker then I don't know what to say to you. I do know race teams plough huge lumps of cash into trying to be 1 sec quicker!

Over a 7 minute lap - considering the massive price difference - no sorry, I'm not impressed. Lets put it this way, if Nissan released a GTR costing in excess of half a million pounds I do not doubt for a second it would be quicker than the 918. I think 20 grand at Litchfield or SVM would see that time toppled, let alone half a million. But no doubt the Porsche marketing men will convince everyone it is the greatest thing since sliced bread - after all, they have been doing that with the 911 for enough years. See they are the real geniuses behind the Porsche brand. 'Oh it's a Porsche - must be the bee's knees. A GTR has a Nissan badge - lets dismiss that.' All clever stuff - millions of people who have never driven either car would have a 911 in a heartbeat. Why? Because they have been told it is the better car. Speak to someone who knows diddly about cars and tell them a Nissan is the equivalent or better than a Porsche and see where you get.

It was nice to see Car magazine test the new 911 Turbo S against the MY13 and come down firmly in the GTR's favour. Half the price of the 911, twice as enjoyable to drive they reckon. That's the trouble I guess - that badge is a bloody expensive privilege for those who need it. No doubt - in true Porsche style - they will release a 911 Turbo S-S in a year's time to notch things up again. For an additional 40K, of course.

Edited to add: Plaese note, I am not saying Porsche make bad cars. But they do make overpriced, overmarketed ones.

Last edited by New Reg; 19th November 2013 at 07:39 PM..
New Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
jambo 32gtr is bored

Cars owned: r32 gtr 2xr33gtst pulsar 200sx s14a
Why are the gtr boys always comparing there cars against porsche if there that rubbish
Old 19th November 2013, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo 32gtr View Post
Why are the gtr boys always comparing there cars against porsche if there that rubbish
Who said Porsche were rubbish?

The GTR and the 911 Turbo are often compared because - on paper - they are in many ways very similar cars. The big difference is in the badge, marketing, public perception, snobbery and, of course, cost.
Old 19th November 2013, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post

It's because the test is a set distance and the porshce starts fully charged and gets "free" miles before the MPG kicks in.

The Prius has a shorter electric only range, so over a set test of (for example) 50 miles it would use more fuel than the porshce 918 at minimal RPM in super eco driving.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
jambo 32gtr is bored

Cars owned: r32 gtr 2xr33gtst pulsar 200sx s14a
Quote:
Who said Porsche were rubbish?

The GTR and the 911 Turbo are often compared because - on paper - they are in many ways very similar cars. The big difference is in the badge, marketing, public perception, snobbery and, of course, cost.
You did pretty much in you're whole post apart from the little get out of jail edit at the bottom
Old 19th November 2013, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo 32gtr View Post
You did pretty much in you're whole post apart from the little get out of jail edit at the bottom
Hmmm. Clearly your reading skills are on par with your writing ones. I make no bones about the fact I think Porsche cars are overrated and overpriced but I never said they were 'rubbish' - perhaps you can point out where I did. My 'get out of jail' comment - nah, if I thought Porsche were crap I would say so. I just wanted to clarify my position because I was well aware a few people would misinterpret criticism as hatred. Sure enough....
Old 19th November 2013, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Over a 7 minute lap - considering the massive price difference - no sorry, I'm not impressed. Lets put it this way, if Nissan released a GTR costing in excess of half a million pounds I do not doubt for a second it would be quicker than the 918. I think 20 grand at Litchfield or SVM would see that time toppled, let alone half a million. But no doubt the Porsche marketing men will convince everyone it is the greatest thing since sliced bread - after all, they have been doing that with the 911 for enough years. See they are the real geniuses behind the Porsche brand. 'Oh it's a Porsche - must be the bee's knees. A GTR has a Nissan badge - lets dismiss that.' All clever stuff - millions of people who have never driven either car would have a 911 in a heartbeat. Why? Because they have been told it is the better car. Speak to someone who knows diddly about cars and tell them a Nissan is the equivalent or better than a Porsche and see where you get.

It was nice to see Car magazine test the new 911 Turbo S against the MY13 and come down firmly in the GTR's favour. Half the price of the 911, twice as enjoyable to drive they reckon. That's the trouble I guess - that badge is a bloody expensive privilege for those who need it. No doubt - in true Porsche style - they will release a 911 Turbo S-S in a year's time to notch things up again. For an additional 40K, of course.

Edited to add: Plaese note, I am not saying Porsche make bad cars. But they do make overpriced, overmarketed ones.

Well I am not a badge snob and have owned both Marques and still own a Porsche.

I am a performance nut and couldn't care less about badges.

To me its about driving pleasure and involvement and the Porsche for me is the better out of the 2 as you actually have to drive the car to get something out of it.

But if its just about how fast a car is yes a Gtr is a very quick car for the money but it does do a lot of the hard work for you.

In terms of build quality it is not as good but yes its half the money so you expect that. Also running costs are horrendous.

But all this aside I can see why porsche made the 918 and what its purpose is and maybe if they made as many of them as there are GTR's on he road it would probably be a lot cheaper but they didn't for exclusivity reasons.

A bit like the Nismo costing double the price of the standard Gtr. We could sit here and say wtf you can make a stock Gtr faster than a Veyron for the 60-70k extra a Nismo costs but its not the point is it!

One thing I will say is that if I ever did get bored of the Porsche the only other car for me would possibly be a Gtr and I do look at it as a step across and not a step neither up or down, just something different.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 19th November 2013 at 09:40 PM..
Old 19th November 2013, 09:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
vex_sb is unaware they can edit their status

meh i disagree about build quality

do you think porsche doesn't brake ? my m8 bought gt3 and now 2 years after he is rebuilding the engine because 1 piston is melted and make a mess ( and that is only cream on cake, small craps were since day 3 ) . but it's not public , the car is on " regular service" . Porsche owners are not happy to say something happened to their cars

and its a gt3, supposed to take all beating you can throw right ?
Old 19th November 2013, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex_sb View Post
meh i disagree about build quality

do you think porsche doesn't brake ? my m8 bought gt3 and now 2 years after he is rebuilding the engine because 1 piston is melted and make a mess ( and that is only cream on cake, small craps were since day 3 ) . but it's not public , the car is on " regular service" . Porsche owners are not happy to say something happened to their cars

and its a gt3, supposed to take all beating you can throw right ?
Yeh you do get the odd engine flop

Nothing is bullet proof. I guess i should have been more specific in terms or interior etc etc
Old 19th November 2013, 09:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
A bit like the Nismo costing double the price of the standard Gtr. We could sit here and say wtf you can make a stock Gtr faster than a Veyron for the 60-70k extra a Nismo costs but its not the point is it!
I guess not. I'm not much of a fan of these limited edition GTR's and judging by the V Spec sales, I don't think many other people are either. Of course, if you are in a position financially to buy a car purely because it is exclusive, then it may be a nice toy to have but as far as a GTR is concerned it is IMO an very overpriced GTR. One of the reasons I like the GTR is that is a 'supercar' (I use that word cautiously) without the bullshit. The Nismo starts to lean heavily in to the world of traditional supercar bullshit and that's why I am not a big fan. Perhaps it is Nissan's way of breathing a bit of life in to the R35 and grabbing a few headlines again. It has been out a fair while now, people are aware of what it can do and the latest MY's have offered very little in the way of advancements.