Best single turbo for RB26 @ 700hp with fast spool ? - Page 4 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:40 PM   #61 (permalink)
scoooby slayer is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith View Post
Thought I might just throw this out here - one of the NZ drifters just got his RB30DET (actually with a head and manifolding built more for drags than drift/response so room to improve here) 1.05a/r EFR8374 tuned on E85, put out "900bhp" (818hp @ hubs) on 24psi and 737hp @ hubs on 20psi. With smaller tube header and a less aggressive head it should be able to pick up a fair bit more response but at this stage he seems happy with what it has provided so I'd say it may stay like this for a bit.
https://www.facebook.com/zpdrift33/p...type=1&theater

Again, this is just an EFR8374... you guys SURE these turbos need lots of boost to make power?

certainly looks an awesome result, but why is it in sae and not sae j1349 correction ?
does the owner have the cell probe temp plot or an uncorrected run ?
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:50 PM   #62 (permalink)

the reason I ask is it can have a massive effect on the plot.

din and sae j1349 are very similar, but old sae is very susceptible to temperature change.

here is a plot of no correction for my car at 56 degrees probe under bonnet

536 hub hp, 436 lbft

here is din correction 583 hub hp, 475 lbft.

now the exact same plot but in sae correction

as you can see that result made my car appear to over 800 hub hp, but in reality was 536 hub hp.

im not suggesting the linked plot isn't accurate but id like to see a no correction, din, sae j1349 and temp probe plot to confirm it.

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 3rd April 2014 at 01:15 PM..
scoooby slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:50 PM   #63 (permalink)
Lith is lurking

Cars owned: R33 GTS25t
It's run in that correction because that's what they always run it in!? The comparison is with a T04Z which should be a known quantity, if you are looking for an even playing field. The dyno bay is set up well, the temp probe isn't going to be getting heat soaked to 40degC with the car getting 23deg ambient air or anything... you can't get more stand up than the tuner who tuned that car - the numbers haven't been manipulated or anything to be artificially high.

SAE does read higher than SAE J1349 - that's a known thing, and not to deliberately mislead anyone - SAE is very common in NZ so it makes it more comparable to other runs around the country here... doing the 1.1 TCF (which was only for the 900hp plot) was because some people like to see things presented that way, but all other plots are @ direct SAE corrected @ axles readings.

Old 3rd April 2014, 12:56 PM   #64 (permalink)
Lith is lurking

Cars owned: R33 GTS25t
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoooby slayer View Post
im not suggesting the linked plot isn't accurate but id like to a din,sae j1349 and temp probe plot to confirm it.
It's starting to get to the point where it feels like if you see a run right in front of you you'll still find something to question it, it's really not worth it to me to argue the point - I just figured it'd be interesting to people to see what the turbo is actually capable of.

I am sure the quickest time attack cars (not to mention Indy Cars) have chosen to use the EFR range when GT40xxR series etc have been easily available for ages has been a decision not taken lightly, by people who know whats up.
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:02 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
It's starting to get to the point where it feels like if you see a run right in front of you you'll still find something to question it, it's really not worth it to me to argue the point - I just figured it'd be interesting to people to see what the turbo is actually capable of.

I am sure the quickest time attack cars (not to mention Indy Cars) have chosen to use the EFR range when GT40xxR series etc have been easily available for ages has been a decision not taken lightly, by people who know whats up.

its not questioning anything, its simply quantifying the plot as accurate !

its very easy to get the plots as ive done above.

im not in the corner of any turbo/brand, i have no doubt the efr series turbos are the best around, the question is how much better, sae correction is no good unless the cell temp is literally in the 20s amb temp and i don't understand why its used anymore when j1349 has been around for 10 years or more and is far less succeptable to temp change even more so than din.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:56 PM   #66 (permalink)
jasaircraft is building heat

thats good to know, and how is the boost curve during the dyno runs? what rpm range does it spool good at?
Old 4th April 2014, 03:16 AM   #67 (permalink)
bigmikespec is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 Skyline GTR Vspec
Quote:
Don't be so naive... marketing, it is how Motec got into the V8 Supertaxi series here.

That's my pot stir!