best intercooler? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adamantium

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th November 2013, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
vanos is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

best intercooler?

Don't know much about ic's.. which one out there is the best?
Hks ams gtc? Cost is not an issue. Just want the best.

Anyone know ic?
Old 28th November 2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Cars owned: Porsche 997 Turbo, U.K. R34 GTR V-spec Black, New Smart
SVM/GTC Marston!!!

It's Aerospace and you cannot get better than aerospace!
Old 28th November 2013, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Cos there's a lot of cars flying around in aerospace.

My vote would be Motorsport, not aerospace.
Black_Supra likes this.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th November 2013, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
Cos there's a lot of cars flying around in aerospace.

My vote would be Motorsport, not aerospace.
Okay let me rephrase!

They are made by an aerospace company that also make the best motorsport cores out there!
Old 28th November 2013, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
AMS, SRD, ETS all get good reviews
Old 29th November 2013, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered

Then I'll assume Marston supply all the WRC and Indy car intercoolers and will be supplying all the F1 intercoolers next year?

Except that they don't and they won't!

Old 29th November 2013, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
Add Forge to the mix.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
MattGTR750 is Lambo time

Best value seems to be the SRD inter cooler .. I don't think I could ever spend £4-5k on an intercooler
Old 29th November 2013, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
ACspeedtech is getting bigger and faster!
GTR Register Trader

A lot of replacement intercoolers are better than OE plainly because they are just 'bigger', having used nearly everything on the market over the last 15 years on dynos and track I normally find you get what you pay for, but there is sense and reason in everything.
The best performing cores I've used have been the Greddy drag-spl (available in very good sizes and can buy the cores individually), the Apexi cores (fantastic efficiency/design, but only available in small sizes) The HKS cores work very well (run about 15% better than they advertise, type-r especially good). Not had much luck with the Pace cores. The Perrin cores are good for mid power. Currently the AMS ones perform very well and as advertised when you translate the power figures from US to UK. Forge ones are ok, good upgrade over standard, not pushed one with 900+hp/50psi boost though yet.
I've used a few '1000hp' spec cores that haven't even beaten a factory core... And let's not even get started on PWR chargecoolers. Bit of a minefield though I admit.
The Marston cores are good, but they are big, and should be good for that money.
I haven't used the ETS or SRD ones on the GTR, they are bigger/better than stock, but how much I couldn't say yet but am interested as they are at a good price point, gaining a repeatable 3-5 degrees of timing for the same boost level on the road would be great and probably would give 20-30hp gain.
The stock IC on the GTR performs very well up to 720hp of flow and 1.4/1.5 bar of pressure. What you see on the dyno is how well a replacement IC works at the 30mph headwind provided by the dyno fan. When you run the car on the road and get decent flow which is ram air fed to the IC by the well designed GTR aerodynamics, the charge temps drop dramatically as road speed increases past 50mph. Not to say that you don't get a similar performance increase with the aftermarket item as speed increases, but to say that the OE one is surprisingly good and keeps 1.4 bar of pressure (stock turbos) cooled happily for road and track use.
Driving a GTR pretty hard, I've been monitoring a charge temp at 1.4 bar in 2nd gear at 35 degrees, then it drops to 30 through 3rd gear, then drops again in 4th and 5th, so it all depends where you perceive your requirements to be.

Email us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit us at: ACspeedtech, 3C Trident Ind.Park, Birchwood, WA3 6AX.

EcuTek MASTER Tuner - COBB PROtuner - 6T9 - KW suspension - SuperPro Bushes - OZ Racing - Millers Oils - AP Racing - Arai Helmets - Corbeau Seats - Luke Harnesses
ACspeedtech custom GR6 gearbox upgrades - GR6 transmission repairs and solutions
I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
ACspeedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Johnny G is here. Hi!
Registered

Cars owned: Nissan GT-R, BMW 730d, BMW 535d
SRD for value and quality all day long
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 GT-R - Daytona Blue, Recaro Edition - Litchfield Stage 4.5, Alcon BBK: 754bhp, 642lb/ft
Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered

So who makes the srd core?

Old 29th November 2013, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
JamieP is aware!
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
I'm not sure Lee will want to give that out as other traders may try and go direct to steal the product he has worked hard to get right, they are UK made though.
Old 29th November 2013, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
gtrsam is 1337

Cars owned: Super fast cars :-)
Best value Whifbitz or SRD
One of the best regardless of cost GTC/Marston

In hoc signo vinces
gtrsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACspeedtech View Post
A lot of replacement intercoolers are better than OE plainly because they are just 'bigger', having used nearly everything on the market over the last 15 years on dynos and track I normally find you get what you pay for, but there is sense and reason in everything.
The best performing cores I've used have been the Greddy drag-spl (available in very good sizes and can buy the cores individually), the Apexi cores (fantastic efficiency/design, but only available in small sizes) The HKS cores work very well (run about 15% better than they advertise, type-r especially good). Not had much luck with the Pace cores. The Perrin cores are good for mid power. Currently the AMS ones perform very well and as advertised when you translate the power figures from US to UK. Forge ones are ok, good upgrade over standard, not pushed one with 900+hp/50psi boost though yet.
I've used a few '1000hp' spec cores that haven't even beaten a factory core... And let's not even get started on PWR chargecoolers. Bit of a minefield though I admit.
The Marston cores are good, but they are big, and should be good for that money.
I haven't used the ETS or SRD ones on the GTR, they are bigger/better than stock, but how much I couldn't say yet but am interested as they are at a good price point, gaining a repeatable 3-5 degrees of timing for the same boost level on the road would be great and probably would give 20-30hp gain.
The stock IC on the GTR performs very well up to 720hp of flow and 1.4/1.5 bar of pressure. What you see on the dyno is how well a replacement IC works at the 30mph headwind provided by the dyno fan. When you run the car on the road and get decent flow which is ram air fed to the IC by the well designed GTR aerodynamics, the charge temps drop dramatically as road speed increases past 50mph. Not to say that you don't get a similar performance increase with the aftermarket item as speed increases, but to say that the OE one is surprisingly good and keeps 1.4 bar of pressure (stock turbos) cooled happily for road and track use.
Driving a GTR pretty hard, I've been monitoring a charge temp at 1.4 bar in 2nd gear at 35 degrees, then it drops to 30 through 3rd gear, then drops again in 4th and 5th, so it all depends where you perceive your requirements to be.
Nice answer Andy
Old 29th November 2013, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Johnny G is here. Hi!
Registered

Cars owned: Nissan GT-R, BMW 730d, BMW 535d
Quote:
That's not for me to say.

2017 GT-R - Daytona Blue, Recaro Edition - Litchfield Stage 4.5, Alcon BBK: 754bhp, 642lb/ft
Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered

I didn't care that much, just wanted to make sure it wasn't Chinese, which it seems it isn't.

Old 29th November 2013, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Then I'll assume Marston supply all the WRC and Indy car intercoolers and will be supplying all the F1 intercoolers next year?

Except that they don't and they won't!

Supposedly PWR said they will be but you will never know the truth will you.

I think the last thing any of these companies want is anyone knowing who they use!
Old 29th November 2013, 06:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG350Z View Post
Add Forge to the mix.
I heard forge cores are chinese

Love a bit of noodle and rice in my car